XTPL2?! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 18:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
XTPL2?!

A sensational proposal! With a high level of interest in the game, and to keep things fresh, would it be worth establishing a second division? Rather than sign our rejects however, they'd be free to sign players like the first year we did. So if a player is not signed to a Division 2 club, he may be signed. The stipulation is however upon promotion they can only retain players not already signed to a Division 1 club.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 18:31
Third Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Manchester United F.C.
Interesting.

And presumably the same would apply to relegated teams; they only get to keep players not already signed to Division 2 teams?

I'll have to have a think about how this would work in practice.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2010, 19:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yea. I think it would make things more interesting. It means the teams near the bottom (ie me and Mutu) get something to play for rather than this turning into the Scottish 3rd Division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2010, 01:47
International

Teams: Manchester United FC, Botswana Meat Commission FC
I dont understand, who exactly would they be able to sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitan Totti
Pele is hailed because he scored 1000+ goals in a league that if its shit now, imagine back then. And personal opinion, I think that he is hyped so much mostly because he is black.

Quote:
Pure ignorance coming out of the fella

Quote:
POk now you are just trolling.
Quote:
I have offered very valuable opinions
Quote:
Not to mention that the 2002 WC was bought by Brazil.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2010, 09:37
Forum Manager
Legend

I kind of just want to do repeated rounds of player bidding tbh.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2010, 10:36
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Futbol Club Barcelona
I think this is complex if the 2nd division teams can only sign the EPL players that noone else wanted... and what happens when you promote or you fall to the 2nd division? There should be some economic differences... I also thought about it some time ago, but I didn't find a proper way to do it (and we didn't have enough people for it anyway).

TGO, when you made the comment about the Scottish 3rd division, do you mean that you think that this game is creating some kind of "big teams" already?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2010, 11:27
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almogāver View Post
TGO, when you made the comment about the Scottish 3rd division, do you mean that you think that this game is creating some kind of "big teams" already?
There's no relegation from the Scottish Third Division, so the teams down near the bottom have nothing to play for. Which is the same in the XTPL, currently.

I'll explain the idea, as I understand it;

There is a second tier, consisting of another 12 teams (or however many we can get). They pick their teams in exactly the same way we did at the start of the first season - every Premiership player is eligible. So even though I have Drogba in my XTPL team, someone in the XTPL2 would be able to sign him for their team.

However, if that team was promoted he would lose Drogba, and any other players who are already in the XTPL. And vice versa, if I was relegated to the XTPL2, I would lose any players already playing for a team in the XTPL2.

I think there would need to be a system in place to allow promoted XTPL2 teams to buy some of those players from XTPL teams, so they don't end up with a completely empty squad.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2010, 11:43
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Futbol Club Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost World View Post
There's no relegation from the Scottish Third Division, so the teams down near the bottom have nothing to play for. Which is the same in the XTPL, currently.

I'll explain the idea, as I understand it;

There is a second tier, consisting of another 12 teams (or however many we can get). They pick their teams in exactly the same way we did at the start of the first season - every Premiership player is eligible. So even though I have Drogba in my XTPL team, someone in the XTPL2 would be able to sign him for their team.

However, if that team was promoted he would lose Drogba, and any other players who are already in the XTPL. And vice versa, if I was relegated to the XTPL2, I would lose any players already playing for a team in the XTPL2.

I think there would need to be a system in place to allow promoted XTPL2 teams to buy some of those players from XTPL teams, so they don't end up with a completely empty squad.
Okay, I get it now.

In any case, given that the league has 12 teams, you know that the top teams should be fighting for the title (unless there's a dictator a la JD), a bunch of teams would be fighting for a CL spot, and the lower ones for a EL spot.

Taking a look to this:

Even TGO had chances to reach Europe until the last weeks for sure. Only Rob (SDD) was out since long ago. So it's not such a tragedy either, but if you are able to implement a XTPL2 with success, it'd be cool. On the other hand, the XTPL2 will suffer from the same problem or even worse. I mean, most of the teams of the XTPL1 will have something to fight for, titles, CL or EL... on the other hand, the low teams of XTPL2 may have nothing to fight for if they're not in the fight for promotion.

Hey, I'm not against it, I'm just giving you the thoughts I had when I was thinking about a Segunda Division for our league too.

Anyway, other thoughts... just in case you want to discuss about them. You can make some play-offs among the lower teams to get a place in the EL... it's a weird thing, but it may keep the excitement until the end. There would be a fixtures problem though.

Ah, and you definitely need to establish your Community Shield... why not?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2010, 17:13
JD
Legend

Can we have feeder clubs?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2010, 12:32
Star Player

Teams: Arsenal & Barcelona
The obvious issue (as GW pointed out) is that a team coming up is likely to find that every one of his players already belongs to an existing league 1 team (the same for going down) and I don't see a smooth mechanism for correcting that.

How much demand is there? Could we boost the membership of the PL giving new players a big budget to get the lions share of the EPL's new signings?

Ultimately I really enjoy the competition and would not go against any change the majority were in favour of.

XTPL CHAMPION 2010/2011 - P22 W14 D3 L5 F45 A20

Read FOUL - The secret world of FIFA by Andrew Jennings .

"Then we'll get him....we'll ban him on Friday" - SAY NO TO CENSORSHIP!!!!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2010, 18:18
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
I think it's a really good idea in principle and I suggested something similar last year.

Obviously it will be tough for any promoted team, but that's how it is in real life. Assuming we gave them some cash to spend though (maybe a set amount, or some formula based upon the players they loose) it wouldn't be impossible to survive. I finished second in the league and half my regular team was made up from guys I signed for Ģ0.5m that nobody else wanted (Jerome, Etherington, Baird, N'Zonzi, Alexander, Craddock).

You could also set up some system where us lot 'mentor' one of the new managers and hopefully pass on some of the tricks we've learnt in the last 2 years.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2010, 18:33
JD
Legend

I guess the first step is to see if there is demand. So maybe we should create a thread somewhere more visible to ascertain if we could get another 12 or so guys to play.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2010, 18:40
Forum Manager
Star Player

If this were to go ahead, I know a few people (5 or 6 maybe) who would be interested in signing up.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2010, 19:31
International

Teams: Manchester United FC, Botswana Meat Commission FC
I dont know, I see it being more trouble than its worth.

Quote:
Pele is hailed because he scored 1000+ goals in a league that if its shit now, imagine back then. And personal opinion, I think that he is hyped so much mostly because he is black.

Quote:
Pure ignorance coming out of the fella

Quote:
POk now you are just trolling.
Quote:
I have offered very valuable opinions
Quote:
Not to mention that the 2002 WC was bought by Brazil.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2010, 20:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

**** you, Quetz.

With all due respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2010, 20:59
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I guess the first step is to see if there is demand. So maybe we should create a thread somewhere more visible to ascertain if we could get another 12 or so guys to play.
I don't think it necessary needs to have the same number of teams as the XTPL. For the first year you could have maybe 8 teams which would keep the work load down as well. I don't image there would be a problem getting the numbers though, we were pretty over subscribed for the original XTPL.

Definately think the game needs to keep evolving to keep it fresh and this would do that if we can implement it.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2010, 17:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Good thinking.

I also think it gives us the option of having backup if anyone drops out like Sweet Daddy Dee. Alternatively if a player is breaking rules they could have the threat of relegation.

Anyway I'm trying to draw up a shortlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in