XTPL 2009/10 Discussion Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 15:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
XTPL 2009/10 Discussion Thread

Right lads, with one season over almost, another one begins. Let's discuss the new rules and where we can improve.

1. Winning bonuses - Last season's transfer window was greatly affected by teams not having much money left over from the summer. Whilst we should make sure we plan ahead with our budgets, the lack of clarity over the transfer process and a greatly inferior bonus compared to Spain, most players didn't realise they'd have to make their money last. Look at lafadabeilo who spent all 500m for example. I'd suggest increasing winning bonuses

2. Adjusting budgets - Managers should be allowed to increase their wage budgets if they have plenty of funds spare. The last system was way too inflexible.

3. XTFA Cup - Last season went well, I don't think anything needs changing for it really. However if we go to 14 managers as I believe we should, we'd need to work out the tournament set-up. The use of a bye for the top 4 last season worked very well in my opinion, and something similar would probably suit. Working out the fixturing now I believe the best method is this year's finalists being given a bye to the quarter final. That would leave a 12 team first round, with 3rd-12th and the 2 new managers playing each other, sending 6 teams through to meet the 2 seeded sides, creating an 8 team quarter final.

4. More managers - I propose increasing to 14 managers this season, like Italy has. If we start the season earlier (last season started in September we can fit in the additional 4 fixtures. We can ask others to sign up.

5. Earlier start - Last season was delayed until after the transfer window shut. I think this season we can afford to start earlier (and have more fixtures). The transfer window should still be closed in the first week of September though to mirror real life, where teams don't have squads completed until 1st September, when games have already been played. We should create an absolutely rigid calendar of games and transfer windows.

6. Discpline - Needs to be more flexible. Last season was us getting our feet wet or the first time. Now we know where there have been problems and where there have been repeated issues. Substitutions was an issue, with teams playing 2 strikers on the bench and being punished. Perhaps an error in the substitutions should be more flexible, as it is hardly as severe as a late squad. However repeat offenders need sterner punishment when it keeps happening.

7. Substitutions - The EPL allows 7 subs. We only allow 5. There are 6 positions on the field in XTPL, I propose a 6th substitution so a manager can cover all positions. This would reflect real life as most teams have good cover on the bench.

8. Relegation? - Probably not a good idea currently, but may be worth asking JA and Romanista how they treat the sides who finish bottom?

9. Europe - Really more of an issue for JA and Romanista is the format of this season's XTCL and XT Cup. It was easy last season as there were 8 teams. This season there are 12, which doesn't really work out. I propose something similar to XTFA Cup where the top 4 got a bye. In this case it'd be the winners of each league, plus the reigning champions. As romanista is reigning champion and a contender for winning Serie A then the runner up in the final would be awarded that place. In this case it is Culed, but he looks also like winning the Fantasy Liga! In that case, it should be awarded to the runner up in Serie A. I propose something similar in XT Cup, with the 5th place being the seeded teams and the winner/runner up/6th place in seeded league being awarded the 4th seeded place. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 16:01
International

Teams: Manchester United FC, Botswana Meat Commission FC
I agree with everything, especially the part about making the transfer budgets more flexible. I dont agree about Europe, I think there should be groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitan Totti
Pele is hailed because he scored 1000+ goals in a league that if its shit now, imagine back then. And personal opinion, I think that he is hyped so much mostly because he is black.

Quote:
Pure ignorance coming out of the fella

Quote:
POk now you are just trolling.
Quote:
I have offered very valuable opinions
Quote:
Not to mention that the 2002 WC was bought by Brazil.
post #3 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 16:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I tried working out for groups, but you'd have to have 4 groups of 3 to keep things simple. And that would be difficult to work out seeding for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass

post #4 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 16:11
International

Teams: Manchester United FC, Botswana Meat Commission FC
Winners of each league get a seed, and the rest just a random draw.

Or two groups of six.

Quote:
Pele is hailed because he scored 1000+ goals in a league that if its shit now, imagine back then. And personal opinion, I think that he is hyped so much mostly because he is black.

Quote:
Pure ignorance coming out of the fella

Quote:
POk now you are just trolling.
Quote:
I have offered very valuable opinions
Quote:
Not to mention that the 2002 WC was bought by Brazil.

Last edited by Quetzalcoatl; April 27th, 2009 at 16:23.
post #5 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 17:55
World Class Player

Teams: AEK Athens & Dirty Leeds
The main suggestion I have is about penalties.

I think there should be a points deduction on your weekly score if one of your players gives away a penalty. In essence its as good as giving away a goal. I also think its pretty stupid how a goalkeeper can give away the penalty, not lose any points, then save it and gain points. It should be of equal measures... So if you give away a penalty you lose 3 points and your keeper saves a penalty, he gains 3 points. So in this case, there is no gain from the situation.

Another twist to it, if your defender gives away a penalty, he loses 3 points. But if the keeper (even if you dont own that keeper) saes the resulting penalty, you dont lose any points and in essence get those 3 points given back.

Seems quite simple to me and would give it that added nervousness around penalties because i think its pretty unacceptable that you dont lose anything for giving away such a golden chance that 80% of the time ends up in a goal.

The goalkeeping bit of this definitely needs sorting out.

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

9 years of hurt and pain.

An anniversary we never wanted, but one we'll never forget.

R.I.P boys.

"We're gunna stay with you forever"

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET.
post #6 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 17:56
World Class Player

Oh another thing... Introduction of a league cup ?

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

R.I.P boys.

post #7 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:00
World Class Player

Sorry about my mad rush of suggestions, they keep coming to me.

A loan window between the transfer windows, i.e a constant loan market. Can be run according to normal loan rules (I can post them if people dont know) and keeps one of the most interesteing aspects of the game (transfer windows) alive and kicking at all times.

Also allows the top players to earn a bit of cash for their players because if theyve done well in the transfer window and have real life first teamers not in their matchday squad they can be earning a bit of cash from that.

Obviously wages are the thing. Would have to be kept inside the wage budget and also if you loan someone for 3 months, you divide their yearly wages by 4. The owner then frees up 3 months worth of their wages and the buyer has to have 3 months equivalent allowance.

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

R.I.P boys.

post #8 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:05
JD
Legend

Loan window would keep people interested in the game throughout the year. I know, I was struggling for an AM in the last few gameweeks and Quetz has 7 or something ridiculous, so I could have loaned him a FB for example in exchange for an AM.

I think more players in the league could be problematic, but I'm open to exploring the idea.
post #9 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Hmm a loan window might be interesting. When Kitson moved out of the EPL I was able to sign Caicedo on a short deal til Kitson comes back. Instead I'd have to loan somebody. The only danger is that this weekend could have seen Quetz and JD loaning players out to to opponents in order to ensure their rivals don't get a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #10 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:14
Star Player

Teams: Arsenal & Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est1975 View Post
The main suggestion I have is about penalties.

I think there should be a points deduction on your weekly score if one of your players gives away a penalty. In essence its as good as giving away a goal. I also think its pretty stupid how a goalkeeper can give away the penalty, not lose any points, then save it and gain points. It should be of equal measures... So if you give away a penalty you lose 3 points and your keeper saves a penalty, he gains 3 points. So in this case, there is no gain from the situation.

Another twist to it, if your defender gives away a penalty, he loses 3 points. But if the keeper (even if you dont own that keeper) saes the resulting penalty, you dont lose any points and in essence get those 3 points given back.

Seems quite simple to me and would give it that added nervousness around penalties because i think its pretty unacceptable that you dont lose anything for giving away such a golden chance that 80% of the time ends up in a goal.

The goalkeeping bit of this definitely needs sorting out.
The only reservation I have about the pens is if 2 defenders tackle at the same time and a penalty is awarded is there a way of confirming who gets penalised i.e. with assists we rely on premierleague.com but this may not be adjudicated anywhere which could lead to arguments (I agree it's not common but if it can happen then it will happen).

The 2 areas that spring to my mind for possible discussion are discipline related - Yellow cards and Red Cards (-1 and -3)? What's our current punishment for a red card? Do we have one? I think we should.

I also want to reopen the 'failed' experiment regarding querying player positions (You'll all know who I'm talking about ).

Finally without wanting to rewrite the game, because it's been great, I think we should look at ways to encourage goals. Maybe lose the clean sheet bonus for midfielders or drop it to -1 and bring FB's and CH's to -3 each. I think you should have to play 2 full backs whether it be with 2 or 3 centre halves. That's it for now.

XTPL CHAMPION 2010/2011 - P22 W14 D3 L5 F45 A20

Read FOUL - The secret world of FIFA by Andrew Jennings .

"Then we'll get him....we'll ban him on Friday" - SAY NO TO CENSORSHIP!!!!!
post #11 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:16
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Hmm a loan window might be interesting. When Kitson moved out of the EPL I was able to sign Caicedo on a short deal til Kitson comes back. Instead I'd have to loan somebody. The only danger is that this weekend could have seen Quetz and JD loaning players out to to opponents in order to ensure their rivals don't get a result.
I did think this, but if we had a minimum 1 or 3 month loan spell and a maximum number of players you are allowed to loan on short contracts (1-6 months) and long contracts (12 months) it would sort the problem.

Also got to remember that theyve got to be able to afford the wages for however long theyre loaning him, unless they negoitate 50% wages for the period of time.

It would make it very interesting I think.

As its quite complicated i guess, if people like the principle. Ill draw up some rules.

By the way, thanks to Ghost World,TGO, Mutu and Arfy for their work over the season... Literally the only reason I come on XT now.

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

R.I.P boys.

post #12 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:17
World Class Player

Judge - Its a good point on the 2 players thing.

Maybe it should only be applied to goalkeepers then, because I think thats a more pressing issue, the fact the goalkeeper can profit out of the fact he was at fault for it in the first place.

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

R.I.P boys.

post #13 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:19
Star Player

Quote:
The only danger is that this weekend could have seen Quetz and JD loaning players out to to opponents in order to ensure their rivals don't get a result.
Yeah I have a concern that it could end up affecting the spirit of the competition. It sounds confusing to me but then I'm a bit thick.

post #14 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:22
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Est1975 View Post
Judge - Its a good point on the 2 players thing.

Maybe it should only be applied to goalkeepers then, because I think thats a more pressing issue, the fact the goalkeeper can profit out of the fact he was at fault for it in the first place.
Agreed.

post #15 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:42
JD
Legend

Quote:
We need to trust the guys playing this game, we're all decent guys, I don't see one of us pulling a stunt like that.

Do you not think that guys should lose points for missing penalties because penalties are basically points on a plate for the manager who owns the penalty taker, so if he misses then he should be suitably penalised?
post #16 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:52
Star Player

Teams: Preston North End & Stade Rennais
Nah, I think not getting 5 points is penalty enough. There's a reason that Pen/Corner/Free kick takers are in demand. A goal is a goal.

I have no sig. If anybody would like to make me one, please inform me
post #17 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah Hunter is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #18 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:59
World Class Player

Surely you agree with my goalkeeping issue with penalties ?!

05.04.00 - 05.04.09

R.I.P boys.

post #19 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 18:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

XTPL 2009/10 Discussion Thread

I've moved the posts made so far to here, let's have a chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #20 of 301 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2009, 19:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

One thing I'd like to hear is what people think about going to 14 managers? I for one felt the season has ended too early and we also had a few gaps in the fixture list where we didn't have games. I feel it'd be fun. 30 games plus 4 cup games is enough, provided we schedule correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in