Resume: Maccabi Tel Aviv in Season 2010/2011 - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: How do you rate Maccabi Tel Aviv´s 2010/2011 season?
Good. The team almost surprised in Europe gave a fight in the league finishing where predicted. 0 0%
Medium. Overall the team finished as expected behind its two main rivals and qualified for Europe. 4 66.67%
Bad. The budget they had it meant title and Europa league Group Stage. 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2011, 23:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Resume: Maccabi Tel Aviv in Season 2010/2011

- With the win today Maccabi Tel Aviv ended the campaign in third place with 18 wins, 6 draws and 11 defeats having 35 points (don`t forget the kizuz).

- Maccabi scored 53 goals in the campaign being the fifth best attack and conceded 40 goals being the fifth best defense as well.

- Eliran Atar was the best scorer of the team with 18 goals (only behind Toto Tamuz in the league that scored 20 goals). Roberto Collauti comes behind with 9 goals, followed by Medunjanin 8, Buzaglo 4.

- Buzaglo was the best assister of the team with 11 assists, followed by Rangelov with 6, Medunjanin and Yeini with 3.

- The majority of the goals scored from Maccabi were in the second half. From the 53 goals, 35 were scored in the period. The team conceded 21 from the 40 in the first half.

In terms of competitions, Maccabi besides finishing third place in the league, lost to Hapoel Tel Aviv in the eightfinals of the State Cup and reached the semifinals of the Toto Cup.
In europe the team reached the playoff for the Europa League group Stage losing on aggregate 6-4 to PSG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2011, 00:02
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
Obviously a bad season.

I don't think theres a Maccabi fan who didn't fall for the hype early in the season and built expectation just for them to be shattered in his face like we're used to year after year.

Avi Nimni is almost entirely to blaim, but we gotta forget that and move forward - first trying to offload all those silly contracts for Kolautti, Saban and such, and then have a clear philosyphy as to how we're gonna play and who we're gonna play and just stick with it and give it time.

If theres something to be happy for is our youth system and approach to take it as a model.. we'll have a few rough and bad years - but if we stick to it as a plan we will only benefit from it cause we got fantastic talents coming up the ranks.

A name to remember for me, having watched a few youth games this season both on TV and in person is Gael Margolis and Muanes Dabour.. both those kids will be playing in the first team in 2 years time.. Margolis already played and showed his lighting speed winning the penalty in the last fixure vs Netanya.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2011, 03:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanko 05 View Post
Obviously a bad season.

I don't think theres a Maccabi fan who didn't fall for the hype early in the season and built expectation just for them to be shattered in his face like we're used to year after year.

Avi Nimni is almost entirely to blaim, but we gotta forget that and move forward - first trying to offload all those silly contracts for Kolautti, Saban and such, and then have a clear philosyphy as to how we're gonna play and who we're gonna play and just stick with it and give it time.

If theres something to be happy for is our youth system and approach to take it as a model.. we'll have a few rough and bad years - but if we stick to it as a plan we will only benefit from it cause we got fantastic talents coming up the ranks.

A name to remember for me, having watched a few youth games this season both on TV and in person is Gael Margolis and Muanes Dabour.. both those kids will be playing in the first team in 2 years time.. Margolis already played and showed his lighting speed winning the penalty in the last fixure vs Netanya.
I voted for a medium one. We finished third place which has been respectbale since Maccabi Haifa and Hapoel Tel Aviv are dominating Israeli football. We are a big club and the most prized in the country, but this is the reality. Maybe what dissapointed was not the position itself, but the way we reached it. Very unstable and not even close to challenge our main rivals even with the kizuz.

But I believe the arrival of Ivanir, the renewal of his contract even with media and fan pressure showed that Goldhar has a good and long term philosophy for the team. He was the only one who had the gutts to face Avi Nimni and take him out, but he did it in a decent way and didn`t have fan fuss.
Plus, he wants to invest on youth, something that we were always good. We won the youth league this season and Ivanir already used some of the players on the senior squad on the second half of the season.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:23
Maccabist
Rookie

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv
I rated it medium. Despite failing to match the media hype, this team had some good moments, and showed some good football.
You could rate bad, but I don't agree with the description in the poll - the failure is not that we didn't win the league, it's the way in which we didn't win it. I also don't agree about failing to qualify to the Europa League group stage - no matter your what your budget is, you always depend on the draw with our lousy ranking. We could have gone past Paris because they didn't use their first team in the first leg and we still lost, but we also managed to get past Olympiakos in what were two very brave performances.

Europe is nice, but it's only a bonus for us. Our failure is the way we played in Israel, in the league and losing in the first game of the cup again. The reason I still rated it "medium" and not "bad" is that we still haven't gone backwards in relation to the previous season, and that we can be satisfied with how Maor and Eliran looked. Another reason to be optimistic is how some youth players got involved with the first team.

This season is a failure overall, no doubt, but at least in the end it wasn't a total train wreck...

I also agree about Ivanir. He handled the team very poorly at times, but you can't ignore the pressure in Maccabi, especially at that time. He deserves a longer chance. If he doesn't make it - I'll be sad for both Maccabi and Moti, but I think it was a smart decision by Mitch to let him have another season, especially when the club needs some stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanko 05 View Post
Unfortunately I wan't able to watch the youth in person (Saturday noon - too early!), but those two are definitely the cream of the crop. This is the best youth squad we had in years, and they are touted as the greatest potentials. Moanes already played for the Ahi Nazareth's senior squad in 2009/10 season, and I think he'll move on the senior Maccabi bench for the next season, or get loaned out, as he's already 19 years old. Gael however is very young - only 17 years old.

Because of his age I'm not sure that Gael will indeed get to the first team in 2 years time, as he will probably play for at least another season in the youth, and then it is likely that he will get loaned out when he's 18 or 19. Even if he is very talented, Maccabi will not risk building the team around him until he's proven his ability to play for the first team. I hope he'll gradually and slowly get his chances in the next season, but let's not rush him. And if in the next summer (when he's 18) Maccabi gets the option to loan him out, and the receiving team wants him to be a starter - we should do it. It's a very critical age, and if he is guaranteed an almost secure spot there, it's best for him. After that, we'll see what happens.

I also think that it's possible for him to play in Europe, even as a loanee, with the recent trends... Probably in Belgium

As for Moanes - I guess that his future depends on the future of Roberto Colautti. Roberto is not that bad, despite his bad season, and if he stays he would probably be preferred as the first backup to Atar/Itzhaki. In that case it may be best to let Moanes play somewhere else on loan. If we manage to get rid of Colautti and his wages, Moanes deserves to wait for a chance on the bench.

Last edited by Omerik; June 3rd, 2011 at 10:49.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2011, 19:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerik View Post
I rated it medium. Despite failing to match the media hype, this team had some good moments, and showed some good football.
You could rate bad, but I don't agree with the description in the poll - the failure is not that we didn't win the league, it's the way in which we didn't win it. I also don't agree about failing to qualify to the Europa League group stage - no matter your what your budget is, you always depend on the draw with our lousy ranking. We could have gone past Paris because they didn't use their first team in the first leg and we still lost, but we also managed to get past Olympiakos in what were two very brave performances.

Europe is nice, but it's only a bonus for us. Our failure is the way we played in Israel, in the league and losing in the first game of the cup again. The reason I still rated it "medium" and not "bad" is that we still haven't gone backwards in relation to the previous season, and that we can be satisfied with how Maor and Eliran looked. Another reason to be optimistic is how some youth players got involved with the first team.

This season is a failure overall, no doubt, but at least in the end it wasn't a total train wreck...

I also agree about Ivanir. He handled the team very poorly at times, but you can't ignore the pressure in Maccabi, especially at that time. He deserves a longer chance. If he doesn't make it - I'll be sad for both Maccabi and Moti, but I think it was a smart decision by Mitch to let him have another season, especially when the club needs some stability.
Yes, I think you share the same view as mine. It was not the final position, but the way we reached there. IMO I got even more frustrated because Hapoel were really crap at the end of the season and Haifa was the little worse and a bit more stable, but nothing special and looking to our team I felt it was a great chance to conquer the title. Unfortunately it didn´t come and there is goes one more year without a league title.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in