Italian Police Ban Israeli flags at Milan - Tottenham match - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2010, 05:18 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
Italian Police Ban Israeli flags at Milan - Tottenham match

Italy to ban Star of David flags at Tottenham soccer match
Tottenham Hotspur SC says on website that Italian police will not allow flags with Star of David at European Championship game in Milan.
By Haaretz Sports Staff

Fans of the English soccer club Tottenham Hotspur SC are being told not to bring any flags with the Jewish Star of David on it if they plan to cheer their team on in its European championship game on Thursday in Milan, Italy.

The soccer club, which has a large Jewish following, posted on its website about the upcoming game in Italy: "police authorities have advised that those flags showing the Star of David will not be allowed access and may be confiscated. Please respect this request."

The club reportedly consulted with Italian police before the decision was made on banning the flags.

The club's management said that the policy of not allowing flags with political or religious messages is already known and accepted by most fans.

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2010, 13:23
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
Well it's understadnable, after what happened with the Serbia fans and the Albanian flag, the Italian police wants to avoid anything that might cause a fight of some sort.

No one should take it personal or offensive... atleast I don't.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2010, 13:31
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
That's outrageous, Tottenham Hotspur, the well known Israeli club being banned from taking their national flag to a game in Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009 View Post
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2010, 21:03
Rising Star

Teams: ISRAEL NT & Maccabi Haifa & Beitar Jerusalem!
Wow, I didnt know Tottenham supporters using Star of David flags.
So now we have two Non Israeli teams using Star of David and Israeli flags - Ajax and Tottenham?

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Israel #1
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2010, 22:02
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MakkabI] View Post
Wow, I didnt know Tottenham supporters using Star of David flags.
So now we have two Non Israeli teams using Star of David and Israeli flags - Ajax and Tottenham?

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Yeah, one of Tottenham´s nicknames are "The Yids" or "The Jews". It is more or less the same story as Ajax, even though I still think the Dutch club is still more known for this curious data.

IMO it is not only regarding the recent Serbian incident, but also because of a considerable large muslim community in Milan which the police fear would bring heated atmosphere as we all know English fans come in masses to away games.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2010, 02:07 Thread Starter
Legend

Still not fair.

Next theyll ban Israelis and Israeli teams on top of the flags?

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2010, 02:10
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
Still not fair.

Next theyll ban Israelis and Israeli teams on top of the flags?
If an Israeli team went to Italy and their fans flew the English flag, or the North Korean flag or the Afghan flag I'd hope they'd be told to sod off too. I mean hell, national flags have nothing to do with club football in the age of globalisation as it is, but Israel has sod all to do with Spurs.

If an Israeli side went to Italy and the Israeli flag was banned I could see your point.

Quote:
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2010, 19:26 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Meow View Post
If an Israeli team went to Italy and their fans flew the English flag, or the North Korean flag or the Afghan flag I'd hope they'd be told to sod off too. I mean hell, national flags have nothing to do with club football in the age of globalisation as it is, but Israel has sod all to do with Spurs.

If an Israeli side went to Italy and the Israeli flag was banned I could see your point.
Still.........
Its about respect and rights of a person's personal opinion.

In the 2008 EUROS i recall Russians waving the old imperial flag. If anyone kept tab...the same people who wave the Imperial flag (Black, Yellow, White) happens to also be right wing radicals/skinheads.

And I dont see anyone condoning people for waving Pre-1950's Italian flags, do they?

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2010, 19:36
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Well, because this isn't a thread about either of that. Anyone waving the flag of the old Italian empire is, 9/10 times, an idiot. I'd imagine some Russians who support the restoration of the monarchy still exist, not neccessarily skinheads (though can also imagine the far-right types hi-jacking it. But then isn't a large part of the Russian far-right National Bolsheviks and so more likely to fly either the old USSR flag or this thing: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Party.svg.png ?), just extreme nationalists. And I guess the old Russian empire does have a history that would be attractive to anti-semites thanks to all those pogroms and things like the Protocols being published by the Okhrana. Like I said previously, I don't really think that national flags should be at club games fullstop, never mind flags that have sod all to do with the 21st century.

Got bugger all to do with Spurs though.

Quote:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2010, 19:59
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
If I was an Israeli, I wouldn't want my flag to be used by a bunch of idiots which many hardcore supporters of Ajax and Spurs are.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2010, 23:47
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
If I was an Israeli, I wouldn't want my flag to be used by a bunch of idiots which many hardcore supporters of Ajax and Spurs are.
True Wally, but on the other hand do you really think that if let´s say Tottenham used another flag instead of the Israelis they would ban it? The question here is not who is using the flag, but why the Israeli flag was banned?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2010, 04:42
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
True Wally, but on the other hand do you really think that if let´s say Tottenham used another flag instead of the Israelis they would ban it? The question here is not who is using the flag, but why the Israeli flag was banned?
Do you have much in the way of evidence for why the Italian police force would want to ban only the Israeli flag?

Often (most of the time actually) the simplest answer is the most likely one, and this case it just seems to be a big over-reaction to the whole Serbians-acting-like-penises thing.

Quote:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2010, 03:37
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Meow View Post
Do you have much in the way of evidence for why the Italian police force would want to ban only the Israeli flag?

Often (most of the time actually) the simplest answer is the most likely one, and this case it just seems to be a big over-reaction to the whole Serbians-acting-like-penises thing.
I don`t have evidence, I don`t say is something specific against Israeli or Jewish symbols, just said that it is tempting for authorities to make harsh decisions towards us.

I will give you a clear example. Twice Uefa has punished Israeli teams for whole campaigns to play on neutral ground because of a suicide bomber or some possible clash with palestinians. This of ocurse harmed us in all the ways.
Madrid and London both received important games in the time they had bombs into their cities, but of course it is not interesting to cancel games over there. Imagine if they will say Real Madrid can`t play at Bernabeu because ETA exploded a bomb in the city?
Or Chelsea wouldn`t play at Stamford Bridge because Al Qaeda bonbed the London subway? It is not convenient for them, but for Israel it is easier to punish.
Thats all the point I am saying.

Last edited by berko; October 19th, 2010 at 03:45.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2010, 11:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
You're in some south eastern corner of the map, far away from our comfortable Alpine UEFA headquarters in the mountains of Nyon....somewhere far away we UEFA committee members have never been to. Madrid and London, great places we've been to. Great 5* hotels there serving great caviare and champagne. For all we know, the sirens probably go off twice a day in that warzone down there in that little corner of our map.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2010, 11:38
Legend

Teams: Sympathy for the Devil
Tottenham is by no streach of the imagination an Israeli club. Some Jewish roots or not, Israel has nothing substantial to do with it. Flying an Israeli flag during a football game between an Italian and English team is non-sensical. Having said that, it should still be allowed, it is hardly a crime to be non-sensical.

R.I.P. Tazz, good times in Bim we had.

"Have you noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?"
- George Carlin (1937 – 2008)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2010, 12:08
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
Tottenham is by no streach of the imagination an Israeli club. Some Jewish roots or not, Israel has nothing substantial to do with it. Flying an Israeli flag during a football game between an Italian and English team is non-sensical. Having said that, it should still be allowed, it is hardly a crime to be non-sensical.
Agreed
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2010, 12:09
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
You're in some south eastern corner of the map, far away from our comfortable Alpine UEFA headquarters in the mountains of Nyon....somewhere far away we UEFA committee members have never been to. Madrid and London, great places we've been to. Great 5* hotels there serving great caviare and champagne. For all we know, the sirens probably go off twice a day in that warzone down there in that little corner of our map.
Good interpretation Wally

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in