post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2010, 00:30 Thread Starter
Rising Star

2010/11 Champions League; Group B - Hapoel Tel Aviv

Hapoel was drawn in Group B:

Lyon
Benfica
Schalke
Hapoel

Hapoel's home matches will be hosted at Ramat Gan because Bloomfield does not meet the qualifications for hosting groups stage matches.

Hapoel's management expressed disappointment with the draw because of the lack of marque names. The club is worried that they may not sell out any of the matches in the 40,000 seat Ramat Gan Stadium. Especially since the "Ultra's" supporters groups said the will boycott home matches in protest of the move to Ramat Gan.

The consensus is that Hapoel have a chance to finish 3rd and therefore qualify for the Europa League Group Stage. Much depends on the players they can acquire to strengthen the squad.

What's your analysis of Hapoel in Group B?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2010, 02:26
Premier Player

Well it looks like that Hapoel Tel-Aviv has already bolstered its striker corps, with the acquisition of Toto Tamuz. A good move in the short term and long term, because Hapoel will definitely sell Shechter by next summer and Tamuz is a good replacement. Now they need a right back
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2010, 02:47
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
I'm sure they won't get a rightback..

They will want someone over Shivhon to play at the left attacking side... rightfully so I might add, but still rightback is way more urgent.. Hapoel seems to be blind tho.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2010, 02:59 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golasa12 View Post
Well it looks like that Hapoel Tel-Aviv has already bolstered its striker corps, with the acquisition of Toto Tamuz. A good move in the short term and long term, because Hapoel will definitely sell Shechter by next summer and Tamuz is a good replacement. Now they need a right back
They bought Tamuz for only $500K and he is taking a pay cut. He made $220K a year with Beitar and he will no make $170K a year with Hapoel. They managed to reinforce their striker corps very cheaply... not bad.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2010, 14:59
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Hapoel had a good draw IMO. The ideal group to try to qualify would be Group D where it play against Panathinaikos and Kobenhavn.

The other three teams are better and more traditional, but like mentioned in a nother thread they aren`t the super teams like Barcelona, Inter, Manchester, Chelsea etc....

If they games were held at Bloomfield I would certainly say here that Hapoel would win all of them or get 7 points. Guess we underestimate ourselves and our strength especially playing at home.

The good part is that the other teams will certainly count Hapoel out of the race and don`t give an importance to the reds and right there Gutman and co. should surprise.

First game at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon against Benfica a perfect scenario for Hapoel, Benfica will come all out and exposed for a fast counterattack led by Shechter and Sahar. Vermut and Zahavi give the tone in midfield controling the ball, while Benfica has a more paced game and might get nerved by Hapoel ball playing.

Let´s see, expectations are good, a third place is realistic.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2010, 17:03 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Hapoel still have a chance to host matches at Bloomfield. If they can fix the deficiencies by September 7, then UEFA will allow Hapoel to play at Bloomfield. Avi Luzon, head of the IFA, went to Monaco and made a deal with UEFA. Luzon said it is now up to Eli Tabib, Moni Harel and Tel Aviv Mayor, Roni Huldai to fix the issues at Bloomfield.

From what I've read, the issues are pitch dimensions and a lack of VIP seating. The pitch dimensions are easy to fix and im guessing they will convert regular seating to VIP. I don't think this will take long and it won't cost a lot of money.
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2010, 04:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
Hapoel still have a chance to host matches at Bloomfield. If they can fix the deficiencies by September 7, then UEFA will allow Hapoel to play at Bloomfield. Avi Luzon, head of the IFA, went to Monaco and made a deal with UEFA. Luzon said it is now up to Eli Tabib, Moni Harel and Tel Aviv Mayor, Roni Huldai to fix the issues at Bloomfield.

From what I've read, the issues are pitch dimensions and a lack of VIP seating. The pitch dimensions are easy to fix and im guessing they will convert regular seating to VIP. I don't think this will take long and it won't cost a lot of money.
Pitch dimensions? It is not small, what gives impression is that the stands are closer to the pitch.

If these are the issues it is really easy to fix to the deadline. This Uefa criteria to the Champions League is really too harsh. I mean in Europa League Hapoel could have played until the semifinals in Bloomfield.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2010, 05:01 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
Pitch dimensions? It is not small, what gives impression is that the stands are closer to the pitch.

If these are the issues it is really easy to fix to the deadline. This Uefa criteria to the Champions League is really too harsh. I mean in Europa League Hapoel could have played until the semifinals in Bloomfield.
Whatever the problems are it must be small. If it was something major like not enough seats or locker rooms not big enough, then UEFA never would have agreed to give Hapoel until Sept 7th to fix the problem.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2010, 06:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Whatever the problems are it must be small. If it was something major like not enough seats or locker rooms not big enough, then UEFA never would have agreed to give Hapoel until Sept 7th to fix the problem.
Agreed.

It is really strange this criteria, I simply don`t get it. I mean for a qualifing round it is good enough, but for a group stage not? Implicance from Uefa, but this implicance has an ocult name: money.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2010, 06:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Agreed.

It is really strange this criteria, I simply don`t get it. I mean for a qualifing round it is good enough, but for a group stage not? Implicance from Uefa, but this implicance has an ocult name: money.
Its all about TV broadcasts. UEFA wants to uphold the image of the Champions League as the most elite competition in the world to people watching on TV. And they want stadiums to portary this. They also want to accommodate corporate VIP's who's companies give sponsorship money.
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2010, 04:08
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Its all about TV broadcasts. UEFA wants to uphold the image of the Champions League as the most elite competition in the world to people watching on TV. And they want stadiums to portary this. They also want to accommodate corporate VIP's who's companies give sponsorship money.
The last word of your post was the last one of my previous post: Money

This is the reason for the implicance.
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2010, 19:07 Thread Starter
Rising Star

UEFA visited Israel and inspected Bloomfield to see if it will be able to host Champions League matches. A decision was expected in the next couple of days. UEFA made some recommendations about improving the area for the press.

Bloomfield officials think that UEFA will approve Bloomfield for hosting the Champions League. UEFA is worried that if Ramat Gan has to host matches, half of the stadium will be empty and UEFA thinks that it will look bad to have a half empty stadium.

Last edited by daydreamer; September 6th, 2010 at 21:50.
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2010, 22:34
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
Half empty stadium? For Lyon? ?!?!?!? WTF!?!?!

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2010, 04:54
Forum Manager
Legend

Hopefully they have this impression and Hapoel plays at Bloomfield.
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2010, 08:03
Rookie

Teams: Maccabi Haifa - Israel NT - Tottenham Hotspur
Quote:
UEFA visited Israel and inspected Bloomfield to see if it will be able to host Champions League matches. A decision was expected in the next couple of days. UEFA made some recommendations about improving the area for the press.

Bloomfield officials think that UEFA will approve Bloomfield for hosting the Champions League. UEFA is worried that if Ramat Gan has to host matches, half of the stadium will be empty and UEFA thinks that it will look bad to have a half empty stadium.

Maybe the Hapoel Ultras refusing to attend Ramat Gan was a good idea after all.

I'm not surprised that the stadium won't be full. Hapoel has a smaller fanbase than Haifa and some their core supporters aren't as open to fans of other teams cheering them on just as "Israel's representative". Anyways the extra people attending at Ramat Gan wouldn't be as supportive as a full Bloomfield. If UEFA is concerned about how the match looks on TV then I think Bloomfield despite being smaller looks like a more complete stadium with a much better atmosphere.
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2010, 17:48
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG7691 View Post
Maybe the Hapoel Ultras refusing to attend Ramat Gan was a good idea after all.

I'm not surprised that the stadium won't be full. Hapoel has a smaller fanbase than Haifa and some their core supporters aren't as open to fans of other teams cheering them on just as "Israel's representative". Anyways the extra people attending at Ramat Gan wouldn't be as supportive as a full Bloomfield. If UEFA is concerned about how the match looks on TV then I think Bloomfield despite being smaller looks like a more complete stadium with a much better atmosphere.
Exactly. Maybe Hapoel wouldn`t bring the same appeal for other fans to come and support it.
Bloomfield is not a bad stadium it is used for Europa League normally and Hapoel and Tel Aviv´s city hall have provided the recquired additions.
There is no reason for the games not to take place at Bloomfield.
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2010, 23:20
Rising Star

Teams: M.Haifa, Israeli NT
Quote:
Exactly. Maybe Hapoel wouldn`t bring the same appeal for other fans to come and support it.
Bloomfield is not a bad stadium it is used for Europa League normally and Hapoel and Tel Aviv´s city hall have provided the recquired additions.
There is no reason for the games not to take place at Bloomfield.
Bloomfield has a capacity of 17,500 for football. In last year's champions league FC Zurich hosted games with a stadium capacity of 23,605. APOEL hosted games with a capacity of 22.859. Unirea host games with a capacity of 28,365. So while 17,500 is definitely small, it is close to some of the stadium capacity of the smaller teams from last year.

I would say the counter arguement is Debrecen, who has a capacity of 10,200 who had to host games at their nation stadium, since thier club stadium was too small.

I think Hapoel defintely have a legitimate arguement to host games at bloomfield, but it is definitely a borderline case.
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2010, 23:33
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colautti_2010 View Post
Bloomfield has a capacity of 17,500 for football. In last year's champions league FC Zurich hosted games with a stadium capacity of 23,605. APOEL hosted games with a capacity of 22.859. Unirea host games with a capacity of 28,365. So while 17,500 is definitely small, it is close to some of the stadium capacity of the smaller teams from last year.

I would say the counter arguement is Debrecen, who has a capacity of 10,200 who had to host games at their nation stadium, since thier club stadium was too small.

I think Hapoel defintely have a legitimate arguement to host games at bloomfield, but it is definitely a borderline case.
True. It is small, but it is a good stadium so maybe in Bloomfields case differently from Debrecen they have a very good advantage.

Hopefully the decision will be positive.
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2010, 23:51 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by colautti_2010 View Post

The issue with Bloomfield has nothing to do with capacity. In terms of capacity, you need 8,000 seats to host Champions League matches. But there are other issues such as facilities for the media and other things
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2010, 18:09
Forum Manager
Legend

Hapoel Tel Aviv has landed in Lisbon and will take a training session tommorow the last before its debut in the Champions League Group Stage.

Eran Zahavi was lightly injured in the Hapoel Acco game and might not be fit for the game. Itay Shechter practiced normally yesterday and there is bi hope that the talented forward plays Tuesday in the Estadio da Luz.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in