I'd like to see Freddy Adu play in Israel - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:18 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I'd like to see Freddy Adu play in Israel

Freddy Adu, the 21-year old American striker, who had been hyped since he was 14, failed in a trial with Swiss club FC Sion. Since making his move to Europe he has been with Benfica and loaned out to Belenenses, Monaco, and Aris. He has scored 3 goals in 3 years and for whatever reason can not seem to get playing time or even find employment in mid-level European leagues.

Adu reminds me of Sahar (except Sahar is better) in that you have a hyped up youngster ready to take the world by storm but who's career hits a dead end before it really starts. the Israeli league is becoming a good league for talented players to reset their careers.

I don't even think Adu would be ready to play at the top Israeli clubs, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't get playing time and contribute at smaller clubs.

It has been reported that Adu will go back to the MLS to sign with the LA Galaxy. But I can't help to think that the Israeli league would have been a good option for him.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:35
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
I doubt he will even consider it if I can be honest.. depends how him/his agent see the Israeli league.

But Ben Sahar for example only came cause he was 90% sure he's gonna play in the Champions league and cause he was born in Israel and Gutman convinced him..and still it was like as hard as giving bearth to a baby.

I'd love him to come here tho.. Adu and Itzhaki on thw wings is just mouthwatering

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:37
BANNED!
Rising Star

Teams: FC Zenit St. Petersburg
IMO US will be a better move for him. He's clearly struggled to adapt to European lifestyle, culture, languages, etc.

Move back to LA, prove himself for 2-3 years, and perhaps he'll get another look in Europe.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
Freddy Adu, the 21-year old American striker, who had been hyped since he was 14, failed in a trial with Swiss club FC Sion. Since making his move to Europe he has been with Benfica and loaned out to Belenenses, Monaco, and Aris. He has scored 3 goals in 3 years and for whatever reason can not seem to get playing time or even find employment in mid-level European leagues.

Adu reminds me of Sahar (except Sahar is better) in that you have a hyped up youngster ready to take the world by storm but who's career hits a dead end before it really starts. the Israeli league is becoming a good league for talented players to reset their careers.

I don't even think Adu would be ready to play at the top Israeli clubs, but I don't see any reason why he couldn't get playing time and contribute at smaller clubs.

It has been reported that Adu will go back to the MLS to sign with the LA Galaxy. But I can't help to think that the Israeli league would have been a good option for him.

What do you think?
You summed up pretty well. He was seen as a future for their NT and if I am not mistaken he wasn`t even in the roster of the US NT in this last World Cup (I could be wrong here, but I am almost certain). As you said, he wouldn`t have many opportunities in the big teams currently as the BIg 4 have plenty of talent upfront. But I would see him having space in teams like Hapoel Petah Tikva, Maccabi Netanya and without a doubt in smaller ones such as Hapoel Acco and Liga Leumit teams.

But honestly speaking do you think he would accept coming to Israel?? I mean he must know almost nothing about Israel only what the media says (and normally unfortunately for us it isn`t very good besides that we have a strong army, that mistreats children and that Tel Aviv has good discos). He would certainly think it is a setback in his career (and for all the hype he had if he doesn`t play for the the Big 4 it would be a setback) and especially his agent who wouldn`t be happy at all with this deal since he wants to earn more money over Adu
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:40
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil81Kessel View Post
IMO US will be a better move for him. He's clearly struggled to adapt to European lifestyle, culture, languages, etc.

Move back to LA, prove himself for 2-3 years, and perhaps he'll get another look in Europe.
That would probably be the best option. I agree with you, since in the US he is still popular and big teams will take him, he will regain confidence and like you said could return better to European market.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:42
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanko 05 View Post
I doubt he will even consider it if I can be honest.. depends how him/his agent see the Israeli league.

But Ben Sahar for example only came cause he was 90% sure he's gonna play in the Champions league and cause he was born in Israel and Gutman convinced him..and still it was like as hard as giving bearth to a baby.
Exactly

Quote:
I'd love him to come here tho.. Adu and Itzhaki on thw wings is just mouthwatering
With Nimni´s rotation he would be benched after 2 games so it wouldn`t be good for him. Plus, if Buzaglo is benched imagine what would happen with Adu
And with all the fuss the media would make, Ziv would be the starter
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:47 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
You summed up pretty well. He was seen as a future for their NT and if I am not mistaken he wasn`t even in the roster of the US NT in this last World Cup (I could be wrong here, but I am almost certain). As you said, he wouldn`t have many opportunities in the big teams currently as the BIg 4 have plenty of talent upfront. But I would see him having space in teams like Hapoel Petah Tikva, Maccabi Netanya and without a doubt in smaller ones such as Hapoel Acco and Liga Leumit teams.

But honestly speaking do you think he would accept coming to Israel?? I mean he must know almost nothing about Israel only what the media says (and normally unfortunately for us it isn`t very good besides that we have a strong army, that mistreats children and that Tel Aviv has good discos). He would certainly think it is a setback in his career (and for all the hype he had if he doesn`t play for the the Big 4 it would be a setback) and especially his agent who wouldn`t be happy at all with this deal since he wants to earn more money over Adu
He would never consider Ligat Leumit clubs but Bnei Sakhnin, Hapoel Ramat Gan or the clubs you mentioned would be a good fit for him... somewhere where he would get first team action but are not good enough to challenge for the championship.

I think he would consider Israel once he knew he could get playing time and if he performed well he could use his Israeli experience as a springboard to a big European league. And getting rejected by a bad Swiss club is a setback for his career but playing in Israel would be a new beginning.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:50
BANNED!
Rising Star

Quote:
He would never consider Ligat Leumit clubs but Bnei Sakhnin, Hapoel Ramat Gan or the clubs you mentioned would be a good fit for him... somewhere where he would get first team action but are not good enough to challenge for the championship.

I think he would consider Israel once he knew he could get playing time and if he performed well he could use his Israeli experience as a springboard to a big European league. And getting rejected by a bad Swiss club is a setback for his career but playing in Israel would be a new beginning.
In all honesty, though, are these clubs really better than LA Galaxy who have Donovan, Beckham, Buddle, etc? He's now failed in Portugal, France, Greece and Switzerland.

At some point, it's time to pack your bags and head home to save his career.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:51
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Man I don't know.. I mean bnei Sahnin hapoel PT and these teams are a shame to be mentioned with him..

I mean I didn't see him play for a preety long time, but when I did he was a great great talent and was really a live-wire... I mean if he'd come to Israel he would be a starter in all of our teams.. but then again maybe it's his reputation that makes him like that.

But I also think USA is good for him.. he'll be like the lost son comming back home, be a star, and have some youtube clips to show scouts.

I'd say his best bet is to go to a Malaga type team honestly.. or the Dutch league.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:54 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:

I don't think the MLS is a good option for him. The MLS is good to start your career and end it. But he already played 3.5 seasons in the MLS. And I don't think he will even get regular playing time in LA. He'll come off the bench but right now he needs to play first team football every game.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:54
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

ahah I just really noticed the first paragraph of your post.. WOW!

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 04:56 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
In all honesty, though, are these clubs really better than LA Galaxy who have Donovan, Beckham, Buddle, etc? He's now failed in Portugal, France, Greece and Switzerland.

At some point, it's time to pack your bags and head home to save his career.
You're right they are not better, but thats why he should play with them. He'll get playing time on those teams simply because he would be the most talented player there. I think he's too young to pack his bags yet.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 05:03
BANNED!
Rising Star

Quote:
You're right they are not better, but thats why he should play with them. He'll get playing time on those teams simply because he would be the most talented player there. I think he's too young to pack his bags yet.
Maybe, but is it also possible that his attitude, professionalism and work ethic is what has prevented him from succeeding so far in Europe? I mean, he was "talented" enough to get signed by Benfica, one of Europe's biggest clubs. Why, then, did he fail at places like Beleneses, Aris or Sion, where he was obviously one of the most talented guys on the squad?

It's one thing to not play on a massive club like Benfica, but clearly there were other issues (probably attitude, lack of maturity and a poor work ethic) that forced his coaches at his other clubs to ignore him.

I'm just wondering what makes you think this would all magically change in Israel, with all due respect to the league.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 05:11
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Maybe, but is it also possible that his attitude, professionalism and work ethic is what has prevented him from succeeding so far in Europe? I mean, he was "talented" enough to get signed by Benfica, one of Europe's biggest clubs. Why, then, did he fail at places like Beleneses, Aris or Sion, where he was obviously one of the most talented guys on the squad?

It's one thing to not play on a massive club like Benfica, but clearly there were other issues (probably attitude, lack of maturity and a poor work ethic) that forced his coaches at his other clubs to ignore him.

I'm just wondering what makes you think this would all magically change in Israel, with all due respect to the league.
The fact that excluding our big teams, our teams aren`t very rigid in professional ethics. I mean training isn`t that harsh and if you have talent and put a bit of effort you could be a good player in the Israeli league.

I recall Reuven Oved, who was really talented everyone took him as a future for the NT, but his mentality was weak, no discipline, no effort and only relied on his talent. It almost payed off, but now he is playing just for fun and doesn`t much in all honesty.

Adu obviously has much more this professional ethics and will bring his European experience. it would certainly work in Israel. Some of these players only need a bit of confidence and playing time to blossom again and this must be the case of Adu.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 05:15 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:

That's the million dollar question.... why has he failed? attitude, professionalism and work ethic probably have a big part to play. I've never read anything about why he has failed. All you hear is that he's talented, but that he can't get playing time anywhere. Someone has to explain what he's lacking, which I haven't heard anyone do.

Israel isn't the only league that can help Adu. The league is on the same level as Denmark, Norway, and Austria. But the Israeli league has a foreign quota system which limits clubs to 5 foreigners. Since you can only sign 5, foreigners are a premium, and most of them see first team action. English is also more widespread in Israel than most European countries. He would not only get more playing time, but I think he would feel more comfortable in Israel.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 05:18
Forum Manager
Legend

But has he been linked with some Israeli team??
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 05:26 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
But has he been linked with some Israeli team??
He has not.... but if his agent or Israeli clubs read this thread, then you never know
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 05:28
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

As a guy who saw him play quite alot of times back like 2 years ago or smth.. I honestly have no bloody idea how he went to this low.

He's better then this, and really in football level he is right now fitting a mid-table side in any strong league in the world..he can't loose it.. I mean I remember he really impressed me playing behind Altidore in that u-20 world cup..or I think it was the olympic games.

Last edited by Stanko 05; August 13th, 2010 at 05:34.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 05:36
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
He has not.... but if his agent or Israeli clubs read this thread, then you never know

Yeah certainly. But you know what daydreamer I wouldn´t consider your statement something way off reality. I recall some times that some English reading newspapers in Israel got some ideas from us here in the forum or at least appeared to be so.
Maybe you are one of them, never know nowadays we need to be careful with what we say
But nothing against it, I really like the idea, this gives more credibility to the Israeli forum here at xtratime, plus we have an opportunity for a more in depth debate in the forum and the possibility to take Israeli football even more overseas.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2010, 05:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
As a guy who saw him play quite alot of times back like 2 years ago or smth.. I honestly have no bloody idea how he went to this low.

He's better then this, and really in football level he is right now fitting a mid-table side in any strong league in the world..he can't loose it.. I mean I remember he really impressed me playing behind Altidore in that u-20 world cup..or I think it was the olympic games.
You know Or, I understand what you mean, but I don´t get surprised with things in football nowadays. We have so many examples of players who were touted to be great future stars and ended up forgotten and playing in middle or lower leagues in Europe. It happens and it could be many and different factors for each one of them. Some things aren`t very well comprehensive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in