How do you rate Maccabi Haifa´s campaign in the Champions League? - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: How do rate Maccabi Haifa´s campaign in the Champions League?
Good. The team played good football against top European clubs. 1 14.29%
Average. The team had good displays, but a weak performance in terms of results. 5 71.43%
Bad. The team didn´t play well and couldn´t manage a point or a single goal. 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2009, 18:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
How do you rate Maccabi Haifa´s campaign in the Champions League?

How do you rate Maccabi Haifa´s in the Champions League. The team failed to collect any teams and didn´t manage to score a goal, but Elisha Levy and part of the media considers an honourable campaign playing good football against giants of European football.
What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2009, 22:06
Star Player

Teams: Man City, Liverpool, Maccabi Haifa, Brighton, Portland
Five 1-0 losses against European giants. Not too shabby.

Although, I'm naturally quite disappointed I don't have any goals that I can look back on and watch over and over

Class is permanent.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2009, 23:43
Premier Player

are you including the qualifying campaign?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2009, 23:51
Star Player

Teams: Man City, Liverpool, Maccabi Haifa, Brighton, Portland
The qualifying campaign was absolutely brilliant except for those 15 minutes where we decided to not play defense.

I was talking just about the group stages.

Class is permanent.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2009, 02:27
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
Maccabi Haifa 6 - 0 Glentoran
Glentoran 0 - 4 Maccabi Haifa
Aktobe 0 - 0 Maccabi Haifa

Maccabi Haifa 1 - 0 Maccabi Petah Tikva
Maccabi Haifa 4 - 3 Aktobe
Hapoel Petah Tikva 1 - 1 Maccabi Haifa
Salzburg 1 - 2 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Haifa 2 - 1 Hapoel Acre
Maccabi Haifa 3 - 0 Salzburg
Hapoel Ra'anana 1 - 3 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Haifa 3 - 1 Hapoel Ramat Gan
Maccabi Haifa 0 - 3 Bayern München
Hapoel Tel Aviv 1 - 2 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Haifa 3 - 1 Hapoel Petah Tikva
Bordeaux 1 - 0 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Haifa 2 - 0 Maccabi Petah Tikva
Hapoel Be'er Sheva 1 - 3 Maccabi Haifa
Juventus 1 - 0 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Haifa 2 - 1 Beitar Jerusalem
Maccabi Haifa 2 - 0 Maccabi Netanya
Maccabi Haifa 0 - 1 Juventus
Ashdod 0 - 1 Maccabi Haifa
Hapoel Be'er Sheva 0 - 0 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Haifa 4 - 1 Maccabi Ahi Nazareth
Bayern München 1 - 0 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Tel Aviv 1 - 0 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Haifa 1 - 0 Bnei Sakhnin
Maccabi Haifa 0 - 1 Bordeaux
Hapoel Petah Tikva 0 - 4 Maccabi Haifa
Maccabi Petah Tikva 1 - 0 Maccabi Haifa

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2009, 02:29
Legend

Alot of there games were wins under 1-0...

ya, not too shabby playing top teams and europe and losing to them 1-0, but what about home? there is alot of 2-1 and 1-0 games....not enough emphasis is being put to capitlize. A few times it happened, but still......now that CL is gone, i think they will ante it up

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2009, 10:17
ZZZ
Rising Star

I rated bad performance, because that was what it was, the only game were we honestly looked like we were going to win or draw was away at Bordeaux, we got no points, and no goals(all other teams scored at least 3) and we committed the most fouls out of any team, I know that expectations were very low from the beginning, but this was a terrible campaign, yes we had big names in our group, but we played a Bordeaux reserve team(some of which did not even play a single ligue 1 match) at home and still lost without scoring.

As for the qualifying campaign we did good, especially in the play-off round against Red Bull Salzburg.

Sorry for being harsh, but that's my opinion on M.Haifa's Champions League campaign.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2009, 13:08
Rising Star

Teams: Liverpool
there is no reason Haifa shouldnt be able to score against any of those teams.
World Class or not, they are human and they can be beaten. Case in point Rubin Kazan against Barcelona in BARCELONA!

The new format of the champions league allows teams like Haifa to progress fairly easily. Although I do support it because, after all, it is the CHAMPIONS league, where a collection of league champions play.

Look at all the smaller teams, they have all scored, so no excuses to Haifa, they should have scored. It was a failure completely.
Although losing 1-0 5 times isn't so bad. They were probably favored to lose by a much bigger margin.
Even ESPN had a special written up about them and their collection of young talent.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2009, 14:16
Legend

This is a new level of playing that is going on in world soccer.

There are teams that can compete against big weights like Barcelona and then there is teams that struggle virtrually against teams from Kazhakstan....

Its how much you really wanna succeed...
Either Haifa does amazing and eases past future competitions or......they will lose to emerging teams.

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2009, 02:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Initially it meant to be only the group stage, but their qualifying campaign was impressive despite that 15 minute blunder at Kiriat Eliezer against Aktobe.

The wins against Salzburg (which has advanced at top of their group in the Europa League) were really impressive aswell. Maybe that is why many expected much more for Haifa.

Of course no point at all and not even a goal (which i thought Haifa deserved) was too harsh for Haifa. The team was very young and felt a bit the weight of facing super teams like Juventus, Bordeaux and Bayern.

But let us not forget that Maccabi Tel Aviv when playing in the Champions League faced a very similar group managed four points and almost went to the Uefa Cup.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2009, 02:47
Legend

I truly think that any team, Red Bull or even Sheriff Tirasapol could have done the same thing that Maccabi Haifa has done currently in the CL. Im not gonna lie to you

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2009, 00:21 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
I truly think that any team, Red Bull or even Sheriff Tirasapol could have done the same thing that Maccabi Haifa has done currently in the CL. Im not gonna lie to you
You mean lose all the games? Haifa outplayed Salzburg and won 5-1 aggregate. The Austrians are in the Round 32 of the Europa League, they aren´t a bad team at all, Haifa played superbly those matches and deserved to qualify.
They were unluck to fall in a really tough group, but still think they could have managed something more.
If they were in Europa League Haifa would surely be in the Round of 32.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2009, 06:16
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
You mean lose all the games? Haifa outplayed Salzburg and won 5-1 aggregate. The Austrians are in the Round 32 of the Europa League, they aren´t a bad team at all, Haifa played superbly those matches and deserved to qualify.
They were unluck to fall in a really tough group, but still think they could have managed something more.
If they were in Europa League Haifa would surely be in the Round of 32.

I was gonna mention that they would do the same plus more..but i forgot to write it down.

Anyway, I think that you expect a lot of shock and awe in the game. The game is not as complicated as one thinks. Most teams this year are really strapped for time..... You got so many things going on with friendlies, clubs, WC, African Nations Cup and so forth..... teams like Barcelona and ManUtd arent impressive so having a b-team winning at home 1-0 seems bad on paper, but look at how much stress is being put on the players....

but like you said, if the group was bad, than I dont know which group could have been easy. Cause Haifa would probably at the most screeched by a good win and maybe 2 ties at the most....

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2009, 17:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
I was gonna mention that they would do the same plus more..but i forgot to write it down.

Anyway, I think that you expect a lot of shock and awe in the game. The game is not as complicated as one thinks. Most teams this year are really strapped for time..... You got so many things going on with friendlies, clubs, WC, African Nations Cup and so forth..... teams like Barcelona and ManUtd arent impressive so having a b-team winning at home 1-0 seems bad on paper, but look at how much stress is being put on the players....

but like you said, if the group was bad, than I dont know which group could have been easy. Cause Haifa would probably at the most screeched by a good win and maybe 2 ties at the most....
Yes, football today is more leveled and each day we see more surprises, but at the end the big teams have much more money and they could afford paying better players so they will continue to be the big shots.

Haifa is on the other side and got a tough group really difficult to get something out of it, but still i thought they should have done better because i recall Maccabi Tel Aviv 5 years ago also played with almost the same group and managed 4 points and good displays and they had a very young team aswell.

But still IMO if Haifa had a better group they would fight for a Europa League spot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in