Haifa`s chances in the Champions League - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Where do you believe Maccabi Haifa will finish in the Champions League Group Stage?
First or Second place in the group, surprising everyone and qualifying for the Final 16. 1 12.50%
Third place, despite the tough group Maccabi Haifa will slip through Europa League 4 50.00%
Fourth place, the end of the European run. 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Haifa`s chances in the Champions League

After losing at home 3-0 to Bayern in their first match despite giving a good fight, what are the real chances for the greens in the competition. Do you believe they could surprise and qualify? A third place which means they continue their European run in Europa League? Or a fourth place which means the end of the road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2009, 04:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

I voted for a third place finish. I am being a bit optimistic, but honestly speaking after this good start of season, plus a decent display against Bayern showed that the team has chances to clinch a third place spot.

IMO, reaching the next stage would be a very big surprise. I see a third place fight with Bordeaux (who already started well gaining points in Turin against Juve in a 1-1 draw). Elisha Levy has build up if not a brilliant team a very consistent, well trained and above with will on the pitch.

Many talents, combined with experience, plus underestimation by opponents make me believe in a third place finish.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2009, 16:38
Star Player

i chose first or second place...and you can let me keep dreaming if you don't mind

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2009, 20:48
International

I tend to be a rather pessimistic/sombre guy but well, let´s keep hope and say that third place is realistic. Which IMO is actually true. First place is for Bayern I think, they can dominate when needed and if playing a poor game can still rely on their experience. Juventus probably will grab the second spot but then is Haifa weaker than Bordeaux? I refuse to believe that until the games are played.

One benefit as well: Haifa has had a great European season no matter what. Qualifying itself was great, even if they finish bottom now it has been a great European season with sold out games at Ramat Gan where the players can expose themselves against the best teams in Europe, dramatic emotions in the qualifiers against Aktobe and Salzburg , ... This European campaign is already a success so Haifa can play without stress or pressure, unlike the other 3 in the group.

I´d say third place, and then in Europa League I would expect them to progress for at least another round as well ...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2009, 05:14
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
They are in a tough group and i think if they dont really do well against Bordeux they will fail. Bordeux is highly underrated team and they gave such a good fight to Juve. They will also be tough on Munich so i dont know what haifa has lined up for them...

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2009, 17:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Bordeaux are a good team and the 1-1 draw against Juventus in Turin proved that. They are current French champions and stopped a Lyon reign their local league.
Intresting players like, Gourcuff, Cavenaghi and Diarra are part of the squad and Haifa will have tough time. But they are not in the same level as Bayern and Juventus and Haifa could surprise. Elisha Levy gave an interview this week saying that Maccabi Haifa is travelling to France in order to collect points.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2009, 23:46
International

Sidenote: Lyon wasted the title themselves with internal struggles and a series of bad games. It´s not like Bordeaux was simply too good, it was more Lyon wasting it themselves. Halfway it looked like Lyon would renew its title and they only have themselves to blame for not doing so. By which I am not saying of course that Bordeaux have no quality and such, but Haifa should not exactly fear them neither. I don´t see Bordeaux finish ahead of Bayern and Juve in the end, so this IMO is the team to keep an eye on, the team that Haifa must beat in order to finish at least 3rd and extend the European adventure beyond winter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2009, 17:23 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures View Post
Sidenote: Lyon wasted the title themselves with internal struggles and a series of bad games. It´s not like Bordeaux was simply too good, it was more Lyon wasting it themselves. Halfway it looked like Lyon would renew its title and they only have themselves to blame for not doing so. By which I am not saying of course that Bordeaux have no quality and such, but Haifa should not exactly fear them neither. I don´t see Bordeaux finish ahead of Bayern and Juve in the end, so this IMO is the team to keep an eye on, the team that Haifa must beat in order to finish at least 3rd and extend the European adventure beyond winter.
I agree with you. Don´t see Bordeaux passing Bayern or Juve and that is why Haifa needs to collect at least one point in France because Bordeaux has already managed a good result in Turin. Haifa´s fight is for third place with Bordeaux.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in