Avram Grant to coach Hajduk Split? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2008, 21:23 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Croatia NT, Juventus
Avram Grant to coach Hajduk Split?

Word is Giovanni Rosso and the President of Hajduk Split went to London to meet with him. I think this would be freakin epic!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nogometni-magazin.com/new...ranto_hrv_news
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2008, 05:25
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
He's not that great of a coach in my book.. will be intresting to see how will he handle in Hajduk.. anyways goodluck to both sides if this goes as planned.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2008, 02:59
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Ajax, MTK Budapest, Israel
Now that is also intresting. Grant is linked to clubs we couldn't even imagine he would be. But after his spell with Chelsea anything is possible. Rosso would be a good intermediate for him in Hajduk. But don't what the Croatian media thinks about this? Why do you guys think it wouldn't work?

Grant said recently he wanted to coach a club that could fight for titles and could be in European competition, especially the Champions League.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2008, 01:33
Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, ISRAEL NT, Inter Milan,
I think really highly of the Croatian National Team...amazing form and really great players.
When it comes to their league...its otherwise mediocre... 2 great teams - Dinamo and Hajuk Split. NK Zagreb is not bad sometimes, but still - no money, no real push and just nothing that encourages excitement really.

I heard that Split gave away alot of its future players and got S. Americans who were good for Brazil, Argentina and Chile back 3 years ago and now gained weight and play too much with the ball.....

on a side note....
I have been to Split. Unfortunately for less than 7 hours since i fu-cked up on my Euro trip. I did an amazing overnight journey and crossed Hungary into Croatia by a train. Stopped for 30 minutes in Zagreb, then morning in Split... I was in the promenade and left to a coach bus near the sea side that takes you the airport. Not a bad airport indeed. Had ties - a Croatian trademark and Hadjuk Goodies that were not my size but anyways, lovely place. Wanted to see the Ancient ruins and the sea side. Unfortunately, the weather didnt cope with me Hvlava to all my Croatian friends!

:rollani:
:rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:
The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

STRAIGHT OUTTA PETACH TIKVA

Rick James, Bitch!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2008, 05:57 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Croatia NT, Juventus
Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
But don't what the Croatian media thinks about this? Why do you guys think it wouldn't work?
I think it would work. Our coaches in the Croatian League are horrible and havent led our clubs to no success even though these same players leave abroad and become stars. We need some foreign coaches in the HNL to give us some new flavour. I like Grant a lot and still feel sorry for him after the Champions League final loss to Man U. He seems like a passionate man and thats what Hajduk Split needs.

New development on the story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...er-Pompey.html
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2008, 17:22
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZG View Post
There is plenty of money in Dinamo and Hajduk, thats not the issue. What Hajduk and Dinamo need is idiot proof coach who won't give a shit about what media are writing and what "fans" think. I don't know if Grant is such type of person.
Its not only that...
I mentioned that Hadjuk made money selling alot of good young players.

I dont think many young talents and foreign talent would jump when they get an offer from Dinamo vs. one from a team in Spain. Its the same as Israel....
You just are known as 'eastern european' which doesnt make justice and people would assume that there is low pay/low level....

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2008, 22:17
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
Its not only that...
I mentioned that Hadjuk made money selling alot of good young players.

I dont think many young talents and foreign talent would jump when they get an offer from Dinamo vs. one from a team in Spain. Its the same as Israel....
You just are known as 'eastern european' which doesnt make justice and people would assume that there is low pay/low level....
I compeltely agree, listen there is a reason the croatian nt is so great and it all comes from some kind of base (the league...i mean the players have to start somewhere) and its really a shame that countries like israel or croatia are just seen as "eastern european" even if israel is middle east...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2008, 22:37
International

Teams: Hajduk Split, AS Roma
First, there's no money. Cluj, for instance, has money. Russian teams have money, and that's why they take our players. We don't have money. We have very limited funds that we got through privatization, and we need to be extra smart with it.

Secondly, it's completely irrelevant how good a coach Grant is. The fact is, he insist on a 1+1 year contract, and that's a clear sign that he really does not want to coach Hajduk, but sees it as a good fall-back option if everything else doesn't go his way.

I don't want him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_principe
Grazie Dio, non sono juventino!
Check out my personal site and my blog site.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 11:53
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN CRO View Post
I think it would work. Our coaches in the Croatian League are horrible and havent led our clubs to no success even though these same players leave abroad and become stars. We need some foreign coaches in the HNL to give us some new flavour. I like Grant a lot and still feel sorry for him after the Champions League final loss to Man U. He seems like a passionate man and thats what Hajduk Split needs.

New development on the story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...er-Pompey.html
Yes, the final in the Champions League was really unfortunate and had Terry not slipped in the penalty kick he would be now the current CL crown coach.
And indeed you are correct he is the type of guy who really doesn´t get carried away by media and fan opinion, he works on his convictions and normally has good relationship with media.

When he coached the Israeli NT many criticized him for his tactics ( that is not new in Israel, fans and media are never satisfied whoever the coach is) and he managed to lead Israel to an unbeaten qualifier against France, Ireland and Switzerland failing to clinch a playoff berth on goal difference.

Last week he gave an interview and said people in Israel would be surprised of which would be his next club and that this club fights for European competition.

Hope he takes the Hajduk job.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 12:46
International

There's now talk that he'll be more than a coach - more of a general manager. He'll be bringing Chelsea's B team players on loan too, apparently. All this sais to me that they're trying to make an affiliate club out of us.

We should not allow this at ANY cost.

Quote:
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 12:56
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lista View Post
There's now talk that he'll be more than a coach - more of a general manager. He'll be bringing Chelsea's B team players on loan too, apparently. All this sais to me that they're trying to make an affiliate club out of us.

We should not allow this at ANY cost.
General manager? Affiliated club? Don´t think that will happen. If he comes to coach Hajduk Split he will probably would like to bring with him some players he worked with in Chelsea and that is pretty much it. Don´t think general manager is the case since the contract is one year.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 15:24
International

Key phrase is 'on loan' here. He can bring whoever he want's, if it's on a contract, but to school Chelsea's out of favor B side players - on loan - it out of the question. IMO, of course.

In any case, knowing this and the length of the contract I don't see what we could possibly gain out of this. Apart from a nice commercial.

Quote:
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 18:44
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lista View Post
Key phrase is 'on loan' here. He can bring whoever he want's, if it's on a contract, but to school Chelsea's out of favor B side players - on loan - it out of the question. IMO, of course.

In any case, knowing this and the length of the contract I don't see what we could possibly gain out of this. Apart from a nice commercial.
Well, so if it depended from you Grant would receive a very "warm" welcome from Hajduk fans
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 19:00
Legend

Teams: Hajduk Split
in this time ante mise who is a caretaker manager has a very big support among hajduk fans. partially because he's a former hajduk captain, who loves his club (is a proper "bili" through and through) and partially because in 3 games so far under him we won all 3 games and in 2 of them we played against what are usually very tricky opponents for us.

if grant comes he won't receive a very warm welcome, not just from lista but from majority of hajduk fans....

after all how many coaches get these kind of signs from the ultras?

the sign says: "vucevic (our former coach who resigned) and mise (current caretaker) torcida (ultras) is breathing for you"
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 19:39
Premier Player

Teams: Maccabi Tel Aviv
i think this is a big No No, why? cause first of all Grant sucks, and second croatian fans seem to be kinda racist towards jews, so thanks but no thanks..!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 19:46
Legend

Teams: Hajduk Split

name one incident by cro fans which was racist towards jews. i heard a lot of stuff about cro fans but racist toward jews...thats the first time i hear of it
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 21:00
Premier Player

Teams: Maccabi Tel Aviv
humm wait wait, wasn't u guys wich haved some skin head groups once in a football match against one of our teams? damn them i must confused serbia or mentenegro with u guys...anyways my apologies...still grant sucks dont let him go to ur club he'll may u play bunker style..!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2008, 21:16
Forum Manager
Legend

Israel normally don't have problems with Croatia, like metioned here many players have played in Israel and are adored like Vujcic in basketball and Giovanni Rosso in football.

If some incident happened it was isolated and probably by ultra fans which don't represent the majority.

I see Grant would have a lot of resistence from Hajduk fans, but media and fans in Croatia are similar to Israel in terms of patience and criticism and grant is used to it.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2008, 05:48
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenMadness View Post

name one incident by cro fans which was racist towards jews. i heard a lot of stuff about cro fans but racist toward jews...thats the first time i hear of it
There was the ever-so-famous Human Swastika. Not towards Jews, Israel in general, but many Israelis took this as a sign of hostility...regardless.... the Israel vs. Croatian match went without any problems....great match indeed...
Infact, i thought Croatians would want to avenge Israelis since we had a friendly once in Jerusalem where we screwed up your national anthem in the speakers and never played it...as insultive as it was, we made up for it by having Israel's Interior ministry give private tours for Croatia's players to see holy city Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
Israel normally don't have problems with Croatia, like metioned here many players have played in Israel and are adored like Vujcic in basketball and Giovanni Rosso in football.

If some incident happened it was isolated and probably by ultra fans which don't represent the majority.

I see Grant would have a lot of resistence from Hajduk fans, but media and fans in Croatia are similar to Israel in terms of patience and criticism and grant is used to it.
Hajduk fans are very spirited bunch.
There leauge is not the best, their competition is far from it..but the pride they bring to the stadium and the energy they create is well known..

Football Factories anyone?

The Golani Brigade

Kol HaKavod Le Ztahal

Rick James, Bitch!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2008, 15:50
Rising Star

Teams: Liverpool
I'm a huge fan of the Croatian National team. I supported them through the Euro's and was very disappointed when they were eliminated as I thought they deserved better.
I'll admit that I was expecting "something" when Israel went to Croatia for the qualifier. I guess they fall into the simple old generalization of antisemitism that Eastern Europe exudes, not because they are antisemitic, but because of where they are geographically.
I was very pleased that I was proven wrong. The fans were respectful and simply great.
That being said, its a shame that more westernized European nations such as Switzerland and England, just to name a few, cant act in the same manner.

Its hard to control ALL the fans, their will always be a bunch that are acting independently from the others, and that is there choice. I think most of us that are rational understand that.

With that in mind, and not taking anything away from the Croatian league, I would rather have Grant coaching a team with a better reputation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in