LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2009, 13:22 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
FIU Thread..The "Other" Miami Team

"The Golden Panthers"

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2009, 13:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Florida International Team Report

Yahoo! Sports
Feb 6,2009

In building FIU’s football program, coach Mario Cristobal is using a strategy similar to the one employed by his alma mater.

When Cristobal played at Miami, the Hurricanes built their championship programs around players from the South Florida counties of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.

Likewise, Cristobal is taking advantage of the talent close to FIU’s Miami campus. Of the 23 signed in FIU’s recruiting class, 20 are from the state of Florida, and 12 are from Dade County.

“Almost 50 percent of our signing class is from Dade County, our home county, and we’re going to continue to make that a point of emphasis,” Cristobal said. “The best football in America is played down here in South Florida.”

The prize of the 2009 class, though, is from outside Orlando. Lavarez “Pooh Bear” Mars, a 5-foot-11, 210-pound linebacker from the Orlando suburb of Apopka, Fla., is the first four-star recruit to ever sign at FIU. Cristobal got Mars to make a verbal commitment as a junior and then fended off late challenges from Iowa State, South Florida, Cincinnati and Kentucky.

“We won several recruiting battles against the big boys including the SEC, ACC, C-USA and our own conference,” Cristobal said. “The number one goal of recruiting every season is to fulfill your needs and enhance your strengths as they are already. We feel with this year’s class we have done that already and then some.”

FIU is looking to build off the momentum of a 5-7 season, a four-game improvement from its 1-11 campaign in 2007. Speedy freshman T.Y. Hilton emerged as one of the top Division I playmaking threats during a season in which FIU unveiled its new on-campus stadium.

Top Recruits:

LB Lavarez Mars, Apopka, Fla.—Nicknamed “Pooh Bear,” Mars is FIU’s first-ever four-star recruit. The 5-foot-11, 210-pound Mars was ranked the eighth-best linebacker in the nation according to Rivals.com and turned down offers from Iowa State, South Florida, Cincinnati and Kentucky. “Pooh Bear Mars is really one of those players who really changes it all on defense,” Cristobal said.

WR Edgard Theliar, Miami, Fla.—The junior-college transfer will provide a nice complement to current speedy FIU playmaker T.Y. Hilton because of his size (6-foot-3, 195 pounds) and ability to catch passes over the middle. Theliar, the 56th-rated junior-college player in the nation, chose FIU over USF.

LB Kenny Dillard, Miami, Fla.—A three-star outside linebacker who comes from a winning program (Miami Northwestern) and should add depth to FIU’s defense.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2009, 13:27 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Notes, Quotes

• FIU and Rutgers have agreed to a home-and-home series beginning in the 2009 season. In 2009, FIU will play at Rutgers on Sept. 19. Rutgers will return to open the 2010 season at FIU stadium on Sept. 11. FIU coach Mario Cristobal was a former assistant at Rutgers under current coach Greg Schiano. “I was very proud to be a part of Rutgers,” Cristobal said of being an assistant there from 2001-03. “I’m looking forward to going back there and looking forward to them coming back and playing in our new stadium.” To accommodate Rutgers, FIU dropped USF from its 2009 schedule.

Quote To Note: “I think people have woken up. It’s nice to walk into a high school now, and you’ll hear from across the cafeteria: ‘FIU is on the rise, Coach, let’s go!’ It’s good to hear that stuff.”—FIU coach Mario Cristobal, on the program gaining credibility after its 5-7 season.

Strategy And Personnel

Spring Ahead: Even though FIU has four of five starters returning on the offensive line, some positions on the line could be up for grabs this spring. Kenny White and Stephen Bailey, freshman offensive linemen who were redshirted last season, could push for playing time. Transfer Cedric Mack should also challenge for a starting job if he’s granted eligibility before spring practice begins.

Pro Potential:

SS Marshall McDuffie—The 6-2, 207-pound McDuffie runs the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds and has a chance to get picked in the sixth or seventh round. He posted three interceptions in his senior season.

Roster Report:

• QB Wesley Carroll, a former starting quarterback at Mississippi State, has transferred to FIU as part of its 2009 class. Carroll will have to sit out in 2009 due to Division I transfer rules, but the former Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas standout could emerge as a contender for the FIU starting quarterback job in 2010.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2009, 10:46 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Defense Haults Offense, 43-21 in Blue & Gold Game

Courtesy: FIUSports.com
Release: 04/03/2009

FIU Football completed its spring practices Friday night with their annual Blue & Gold game held at the FIU Stadium. The defense walked away with a 43-21 victory. Points were awarded for defensive stops, turnovers, offensive first downs, touchdowns, field goals and extra points.

The defense appeared strong, recording four interceptions, six sacks and forcing two fumbles. Kambriel Willis led the way with two sacks. The four interceptions were by four different Panthers players. George Palmer recorded a game-high seven tackles, six unassisted.

QB Paul McCall threw for a game-high 202 yards on 14-of-22 passing without an interception. McCall led a scoring drive of 62 yards which stalled at the defenses eight-yard line and Dustin Rivest kicked a 25-yard field goal just before halftime. The big play on the drive was a 44-yard pass to Jason Frierson. Frierson led the team in yards receiving with four catches for 66 yards.

The lone passing touchdown of the game came from new FIU QB Wesley Carroll as he scrambled out of the pocket to find Junior Mertile in the endzone for a 30-yard touchdown reception. Mertile had five catches for 62 yards and that touchdown. Carroll also directed a 13-play drive that ended with a four-yard run by Brandon Paquette for FIU’s other touchdown on the evening. The drive went for 60 yards. Carroll finished the evening 11-17 with two interceptions, 110 yards and a touchdown.

Wayne Younger also saw time behind center and went 4-11 with one interception and 15 yards. At receiver Greg Ellingson, who finished off 2008 strong, finished with a game-high five ctaches for 63 yards. FIU Freshman of the Year T.Y. Hilton caught three passes for 15 yards.

FIU will begin fall two-a-days in August to prepare for their 2009 season opner on September 12 at Alabama. The 2009 home portion of the schedule begins on September 26 with a 7p.m. start against Toledo.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2009, 11:47 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

FIU Basketball...THE B O M B !!!!!!!

AP Source: FIU close to naming Isiah Thomas coach

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports

Mon Apr 13, 2009

MIAMI – Isiah Thomas is on the verge of starting his coaching career over at Florida International.

The Hall of Fame point guard and former New York Knicks coach is deliberating whether to take over FIU's basketball program, a person with knowledge of the school's search told The Associated Press on Monday night.

The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because university officials have not authorized anyone to reveal search details, said FIU was "very hopeful" that a deal could be closed with Thomas on Tuesday morning. He would replace Sergio Rouco, who was ousted after five consecutive losing seasons, including a 13-20 campaign this year.

If Thomas accepts, he would be introduced in Miami on Wednesday. He did not immediately respond to messages left on his phone by The Associated Press on Monday night.

Thomas became the Knicks' president in 2003, their coach in 2006 and was fired in 2008 after, among other things, a sexual harassment lawsuit and almost never-ending chants from fans who wanted him gone. He remains under contract with the Knicks, but has permission to seek work elsewhere.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh was aware Monday night of FIU's interest in hiring Thomas, but the team couldn't specifically say what the status of the contract talks were.

Among the other candidates on FIU's list: Former Miami Heat players Ed Pinckney and Tim Hardaway, both of whom continue to have strong ties to South Florida. Pinckney is an assistant coach with the Minnesota Timberwolves but still maintains a residence in the Miami area; Hardaway briefly coached the now-defunct Florida Pit Bulls of the American Basketball Association.

"I want to put my name in the hat, but I think Isiah Thomas is getting it," Hardaway told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I know I can bring some good prospects in. I have a good eye for good talent, so I'm putting my name in to try."

One of those prospects Hardaway could have possibly brought in: His son, Tim Hardaway Jr., who is already a highly sought-after recruit by many Division I programs.

But almost as soon as Rouco's firing — a "reassignment," the school called it, since he remains under contract — the buzz centered around Thomas.

In recent years, the Golden Panthers and athletic director Pete Garcia lured Mario Cristobal away from Miami to take over their football program, landed noted college baseball recruiter Turtle Thomas as that program's coach, plus opened an on-campus football stadium and even has made inroads on hosting professional and international soccer matches.

And now, this could be the biggest get yet for FIU: Thomas, who helped the Detroit Pistons win a pair of NBA championships as a point guard, then had success as coach of the Indiana Pacers before things unraveled for him with the Knicks.

A year ago, the Knicks finished 23-59, prompting Thomas' firing. They never won a playoff game in his tenure as president or coach.

Thomas went 56-108 in New York and is 187-223 as an NBA coach, leading the Indiana Pacers to the playoffs in three straight years from 2000-03. Once he was hired to run the Knicks, he acquired Stephon Marbury from Phoenix, a move — much like the one where he gave center Jerome James a $30 million contract — that never panned out.

And there were off-the-court issues, too.

A jury found that Thomas and Madison Square Garden sexually harassed former team executive Anucha Browne Sanders and ordered the company to pay $11.6 million in damages. That, along with the losing, brought on a wave of "Fire Isiah!" chants that would typically start soon after tip-off at MSG.

Then this past October, Thomas found himself dealing with more drama. Officers responded to his New York-area home after a 911 call reporting an overdose on sleeping pills. According to police reports, those officers found a man passed out on the floor and gave him oxygen until an ambulance arrived.

Authorities never publicly identified Thomas as the victim, but a person familiar with the case later confirmed to the AP that it was the former NBA star.

A new beginning potentially awaits at FIU, which could clearly use a spark. The Golden Panthers have lost 20 games in three of the last four years, and haven't had a winning record since going 16-14 in the 1999-2000 season.

Last edited by colocolo; April 14th, 2009 at 11:54.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2009, 11:00 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

It's OFFICIAL...Isiah Thomas in charge of the Men's Basketball Program at FIU for the next 5 yrs !!!

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 10:26 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

My 'Canes dont play at or against FIU for a long time to come..After that scuffle 3 yrs back .. I dont see it happeneing at all ..

I will have to go to see them against somebody else If I want to visit the Golden Panthers Stadium ...

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2009, 11:22 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

No News out of SW Miami..is good news..I suposse !!!

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2009, 12:36 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2009, 11:04 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Florida International Team Report Sep 9, 2009

FIU will have some new faces in key roles as the Panthers begin the 2009 season with a trip to Alabama.

Part of that is a reflection of last February's signing class, the highest-rated group of recruits the school has had in its brief football history.

Dudley LaPorte, a junior college transfer, heads the group as the school's first four-star recruit as rated by Scout.com. Wide receivers like Wayne Times, who is out of Miami's Northwestern High, Jairus Williams and Rocky Vann and running back Darian Mallary could play key roles for the Panthers.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2009, 21:38 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

At Rutgers this week end .. Good Luck in NJ

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2009, 10:43 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

1st week off....followed by 2 losses...

Week Date Time Opponent Score W/L Stories

1 Off Week
2 09/12/09 7:00 p.m. ET at Alabama 14-40 L Recap | Box
3 09/19/09 5:00 p.m. ET at Rutgers 15-23 L Recap | Box

4 09/26/09 7:00 p.m. ET Toledo

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...#ixzz0S12ZkK3x

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:24 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

They win at home in OT !!!!

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2009, 10:57 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

But they lost yesterday

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2009, 09:47 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Basketball R E L A T E D !!!!!!!

No. 6 North Carolina beats Thomas, FIU 88-72

By AARON BEARD, AP College Basketball Writer

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP)—Isiah Thomas stood on the sideline and ordered his undersized Florida International team to spread the court against the defending national champions.

That’s when North Carolina’s Deon Thompson walked over and teasingly asked why Thomas had to make the bigger Tar Heels defend so much on the perimeter.

“He just started laughing and said, ‘Man, that’s the only thing I can do,”’ Thompson said.

Yes, the Tar Heels were too talented and just too big in their 88-72 victory over the Golden Panthers in the 2K Sports Classic on Monday night. And it was a reminder that Thomas could be in for a frustrating debut season with the long-struggling FIU program.

But for Thomas, it was a start.

“The thing I liked about our team was we fought,” Thomas said. “The first thing you’ve got to do in order to win is you’ve got to learn how to fight.”

Thompson scored 20 points to lead the sixth-ranked Tar Heels (1-0), who shot 56 percent and led by double digits much of the way to kick off their centennial season against Thomas—the Hall of Fame player and former NBA coach who inherits a program with nine straight losing seasons.

His debut came on the same day his 86-year-old mother, Mary, had open-heart surgery in Chicago. He spent Sunday with her, then arrived in Chapel Hill early Monday for the Golden Panthers’ shootaround at the Smith Center and planned to return to Chicago on Tuesday.

“My mom raised me basically to fight, just as I’m trying to put it in our team,” Thomas said. “Last night, when I was speaking to her, she just said she doesn’t want to die. And she’s going to fight to live. With that, she told me to go to work and fight for our team.”

Marvin Roberts had 18 points for the Golden Panthers (0-1), who shot 37 percent. North Carolina led 46-30 at halftime, then pushed the margin to 25 points in the first 5 minutes of the second half to eliminate any chance of a Hollywood-esque story line for Thomas.

Instead, the game offered a glimpse of what remains from the squad that rolled Michigan State in last season’s NCAA title game. While four starters are gone—including four-year star Tyler Hansbrough and fellow first-round NBA draft picks Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington—there’s still plenty of talent and, most notably, size on a squad that showed plenty of balance against the Golden Panthers.

There just isn’t all that much experience outside of Thompson and fifth-year senior Marcus Ginyard, who missed much of last season with a foot injury.

“Last year’s guys, I’ve been with them ever since I’ve been here,” Thompson said. “We all knew each other and knew each other’s tendencies: where guys are going to go, how guys like to get shots and things like that. Now you just have no clue where that person is going to go, what he’s thinking in his mind or if he even knows the play. It’s definitely a big difference, but it’s also fun and exciting to experience something new.”

Thompson, the top returning scorer from last season, was 7 of 11 from the field and had 10 rebounds, while frontcourtmate Ed Davis added 13 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots. Ginyard chipped in 12 points, while Larry Drew II—the sophomore following Lawson at point guard—finished with seven points, six assists and two turnovers in 21 minutes.

Still, North Carolina looked ragged at times when the game was in hand, committing 26 turnovers to continue what coach Roy Williams said was a consistent theme through the preseason.

“For the most part, I thought we were active. We were trying hard,” Williams said. “We just weren’t very sharp. But it’s what you should expect this time of year.”

FIU made headlines when it hired Thomas, who was coming off a tumultuous stint with the NBA’s New York Knicks. The game also had its own mild dose of offseason controversy when FIU initially balked at playing North Carolina in the 2K Sports Classic, saying it had expected Thomas’ opener would come at Ohio State instead.

Thomas got a late start onto the court, barely walking out of the visiting tunnel before the national anthem had started. He walked across the court to the bench and was greeted with a handshake and a hug by Williams, who was on the bench as Dean Smith’s assistant when Thomas led Indiana past North Carolina for the 1981 NCAA championship in his final game as a college player.

“It’s been a big whirlwind,” FIU junior Phil Gary said. “He’s a Hall of Fame player and is trying to become a Hall of Fame coach. It’s been a big transition from just a regular coach to Isiah Thomas, but we’ve adjusted quick.”

North Carolina offered up its own reminder of the past. The Tar Heels wore throwback uniforms to honor the 1957 national championship team as part of is yearlong celebration of its 100th season, complete with the unusual sight of some red on the waistband of the shorts and the neckline of the jersey.

The Classic benefits Coaches vs. Cancer.

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2009, 10:45 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Sun Belt Scoreboard

Saturday, Nov 14West. Kentucky vs LA Monroe W Kentucky
LA Monroe
4:00pm ET Add to Calendar Arkansas St. vs Florida Atlantic Arkansas St
Fla Atlantic
4:00pm ET Add to Calendar LA Lafayette vs Middle Tenn. St. LA Lafayette
Mid Tenn St
4:15pm ET Add to Calendar North Texas vs Florida Intl. N Texas
Fla Intl

7:00pm ET Add to Calendar Troy vs Arkansas Troy
Arkansas
7:30pm ET Add to Calendar

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2009, 10:46 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Sun Belt Standings

Conf All

Troy 6-0 7-2
Middle Tennessee 4-1 6-3
Louisiana-Monroe 4-1 5-4
Louisiana-Lafayette 3-2 5-4
Florida Atlantic 2-2 2-6
FIU 2-4 2-7
Arkansas State 1-3 2-6
North Texas 1-5 2-7
Western Kentucky 0-5 0-9

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2009, 11:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

2009 Football Schedule and Results
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS

September 12 at No. 4 Alabama L 40-14 0-1 (0-0)
September 19 at Rutgers L 23-15 0-2 (0-0)
September 26 Toledo L 41-31 0-3 (0-0)
October 3 at Louisiana-Monroe L 48-35 0-4 (0-1)
October 10 at Western Kentucky W 37-20 1-4 (1-1)
October 17 Troy L 42-33 1-5 (1-2)
October 24 at Arkansas State L 27-10 1-6 (1-3)
October 31 Louisiana-Lafayette W 20-17 2-6 (2-3)
November 7 at Middle Tennessee State L 48-21 2-7 (2-4)
November 14 North Texas W 35-28 3-7 (3-4)
November 21 at No. 1 Florida L 62-3 3-8 (3-4)
December 5 Florida Atlantic 7:00 PM ET

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:51 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
December 5 Florida Atlantic 7:00 PM ET
Las chance for the Golden Panthers to shine this Season ....

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2010, 10:32 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Another UNEVENTFULL Season for the other Miami Lads !!! Lets see what Cristobal has in mind for 2010.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in