NFL News / Rumours 2009 Season - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2009, 08:51 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
NFL News / Rumours 2009 Season

Here all the relevant stories for this Season Year ....

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2009, 10:26 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Favre announces his retirement again (AP) :dielaugh:

post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2009, 11:58 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Bills RB Lynch arrested on gun charge.

Buffalo Bills running back Marshawn Lynch was arrested in Southern California on a weapons charge, police said Sunday.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2009, 16:55 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Lions restructure QB Culpepper's deal ... Great for another florida born and raised sports figure !!!!

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2009, 16:57 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Panthers lay off about 20; Donnie Shell retires

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Crabtree to miss workouts with stress fracture

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer
INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—

Texas Tech’s Michael Crabtree wanted to solidify his status as the top receiver in the NFL draft at this weekend’s scouting combine. Instead, he left more questions than answers.

On Saturday, NFL doctors diagnosed Crabtree with a stress fracture in his left foot. He reportedly will need surgery to insert a screw and might face a recovery of 10 or more weeks.

“It’s not a career-ending injury or anything like that,” Bears coach Lovie Smith said. “He’s a good football player, and he’s got plenty of time to get well.”

NFL officials would not immediately confirm details of the injury or the surgery, though coaches were told about it during Saturday’s first drills. Crabtree was not scheduled to work out until Sunday.

NFL Network first reported the injury. Only its reporters are permitted inside the seating area of Lucas Oil Stadium, where workouts are held. Crabtree was not available for interviews Saturday.

All of the roughly 330 players at the combine spend their first day getting measured and going through medical checks. Those with additional questions are often sent to a nearby hospital for further examination.

That’s apparently when Crabtree’s injury was discovered, culminating a bad week.

Despite being listed at 6-foot-3 on Texas Tech’s roster last season, Crabtree measured just slightly taller than 6-foot-1 Friday. The difference could change the opinions of some scouts, who thought Crabtree fit the mold of Larry Fitzgerald as a tall receiver.

Now there’s even a bigger problem.

Scouts may have to go through the entire evaluation process without seeing Crabtree work out in person. The draft is April 25-26, and Crabtree was expected to be picked in the top 10.

So teams may not have any workout numbers for Crabtree, such as times in the 40-yard dash or shuttle, to measure against other prospects. The lack of information, or the injury, could hurt his standing, though, not everyone believes it will.

“It’s just part of the process. You can’t worry about it, that is just the way it is,” Kansas City Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli said. “This is unfortunate for him. The combine is great, but you watch tape and watch players perform on tape. That’s really the top evaluation.”

But it could make it harder for Crabtree to keep the top ranking at his position.

Crabtree certainly has a resume that warrants the No. 1 spot.

He won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s top receiver each of the two years he played for the Red Raiders and became the first repeat winner since it was established in 1994. He also earned All-America honors the past two seasons.

As a freshman, Crabtree caught 134 passes for 1,962 yards and 22 TDs—all national bests and NCAA freshman records.

Last season, he caught another 97 passes for 1,165 yards and 19 touchdowns despite being slowed by a ankle injury. The injury, his father told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal in January, had already raised questions about Crabtree’s durability.

Saturday’s revelation won’t help provide those answers, though there is precedent for teams using first-round picks on players coming back from injuries.

Buffalo took running back Willis McGahee 23rd overall in 2003 after he seriously injured his knee in his final game at Miami.

“He has a history, and his history is pretty good,” said Smith, whose team has the No. 18 pick and needs receivers. “I think he’ll be OK.”

If Crabtree’s stock does drop, receivers such as Florida’s Percy Harvin and Missouri’s Jeremy Maclin could move up. That’s not how Harvin wanted to move up draft boards.

“I’m a competitor. I don’t worry about Crabtree or Maclin or any of them,” Harvin said Saturday. “I’m going to go in with the best and just line up and see what we can do.”

Crabtree’s former teammates in Indy were disappointed for their friend, but believe Crabtree will be fine.

“I know he’ll get through it because he’s a strong athlete,” Texas Tech defensive end Brandon Williams said. “I know he’ll take care of business.”

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2009, 22:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Agent: 2 NFL players among Fla. missing boaters

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP)

—Detroit Lions defensive end Corey Smith and Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper were among four boaters missing Sunday off Florida’s Gulf Coast, the Coast Guard and Smith’s agent said.

Smith and Cooper were on a 21-foot vessel that left Clearwater Pass for a fishing trip Saturday morning and did not return as expected, the Coast Guard said Sunday. Crews used a helicopter and a 47-foot boat to search a 750-square mile area west of Clearwater Pass on Sunday.

Cooper owns the boat and he and Smith have been on fishing trips before, said Ron Del Duca, Smith’s agent. The pair had been teammates on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2004. The Coast Guard said two others were aboard, identified as Will Bleakley and Nick Schuyler. The St. Petersburg Times on its Web site identified them as former University of South Florida players. Calls to the school by The Associated Press were not immediately returned.

Coast Guard Capt. Timothy M. Close said the weather early Saturday had been fair, but worsened toward the evening as a front still battering the area moved in. The National Weather Service said seas were about 2 to 4 feet Saturday morning and increased to 3 to 5 feet in the afternoon. Late Saturday night, a small craft advisory was issued, when winds were around 20 knots and seas were up to 7 feet or more. There were no thunderstorms in the area.

Close said the men were traveling in a boat manufactured by Everglades. At least one of the men was an experienced boater, and relatives provided the Coast Guard with GPS coordinates from previous fishing expeditions.

Close said there was no communication with the men even before the weather started to pick up. They were expected home by early evening. No sign of them or the boat has been spotted.

Poor weather conditions could be dangerous for a boat the size of Cooper’s.

“A 21-foot boat is a relatively small vessel to be 50 miles off shore in bad weather conditions, certainly the current weather conditions,” Close said.

The Coast Guard search was mainly taking place by air, and was hampered by the poor weather, Close said. He said there were 14-foot seas offshore and wind gusts of up to 30 mph. Water depth in the area where they are searching ranges from 20 to 50 feet.

Close said there was no sign yet that the men sent a distress signal.

“That’s not to say they didn’t send one out,” he said. “We didn’t receive anything.”

Smith, 29, had 30 tackles, including three sacks, and an interception in 12 games last season for the winless Lions. Smith, who is 6-foot-2, 250 pounds, also played for the San Francisco 49ers and played college ball at North Carolina State. He lives in Richmond, Va.

Del Duca called Smith one of the “good guys” of the league and was planning to start visiting teams as a free agent this week. He said he has spoken with Smith’s family and is also in touch with Coast Guard officials.

“They’ve assured me that they’re deploying all available resources to look for these guys and get them back,” he said.

Cooper, 26, has played five seasons with the Buccaneers, Seahawks, Jaguars, Steelers and Raiders. He appeared in 26 games with the Buccaneers in 2004 and 2005, recording 30 tackles. He has played sparingly since as he has bounced between teams, appearing in 13 games and recording 10 tackles. Cooper, who is 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, played college ball at Washington. His hometown is Mesa, Ariz., and his father Bruce is a prominent sportscaster for KPNX-TV in Phoenix.

Davis said the water was “extremely rough and choppy” on Sunday afternoon.

Lions spokesman Bill Keenist and Raiders senior executive John Hererra said the teams are monitoring reports.

post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2009, 22:36 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Search will end for NFL players off Fla. coast

By CHRISTINE ARMARIO, Associated Press Writer

The Coast Guard said it doesn’t believe anyone is on the surface of the water and the search would end at sundown. Still missing in rough, cold water were Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, free-agent defensive lineman Corey Smith and former South Florida player William Bleakley.

“We’re extremely confident that if there are any survivors on the surface of the water that we would have found them,” Coast Guard Capt. Timothy Close said.

Hopes were raised Monday when rescue crews found a fourth man who was aboard, 24-year-old former South Florida player Nick Schuyler, who managed to stay with the boat for more than 36 hours after it overturned Saturday evening.

Prospects for survival were beginning to look more grim throughout the day, with the father of one of the men saying the Coast Guard told him privately that officials were losing hope because of the time that has passed and the possibility the men would be suffering from hypothermia. Coast Guard officials said publicly that they were still hopeful.

Close said searchers found a cooler and a life jacket 16 miles southeast of the boat.

Schuyler told the Coast Guard that the boat was anchored when it capsized in high seas. He said the four friends were able to put on life vests and huddle together, but the others eventually became separated.

Schuyler was dehydrated and showing symptoms of hypothermia, but his condition was upgraded to fair on Tuesday.

Cooper, a 26-year-old who owns the boat, was selected in the third round of the 2004 draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers out of Washington. He played 26 games for the Bucs in his first two pro seasons, then led a nomadic NFL existence.

Jack Scharf, Cooper’s agent, said he had no comment on the Coast Guard’s announcement.

A man who answered the phone at the home of Smith’s father, sounding upset, said no one there could comment.

Cooper and Smith, 29, became friends when they were teammates at Tampa Bay. Smith signed with the Bucs as an undrafted free agent in 2002, and spent last season with Detroit before becoming a free agent. The former North Carolina State standout recorded 42 tackles (28 solo), three sacks and 10 special teams tackles in 2008, his best NFL season.

Bleakley, a 25-year-old former tight end from Crystal River, Fla., was on the USF football team in 2004 and 2005. He had one reception for 13 yards in his career, which also included some time on special teams.

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2009, 05:50
Super
Star Player

Teams: Bayern, NY Yankees, NY Giants, NY Islanders.
Sad, I guess those players finally got touchdown. In other news, the Cowboys let TO go. I wonder if my Giants will grab him.

Never let desperation make you gullible.

Last edited by rammstein; March 5th, 2009 at 05:55.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2009, 09:53 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

TO is a headache, but you have to take a chance..look who my Bucs just got ...Another great player (headache too) Winslow !!!

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old March 7th, 2009, 12:35 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Pro Bowl back in Hawaii in 2011, '12

The Pro Bowl is returning to Hawaii. The Hawaii Tourism Authority board voted 9-1 on Friday to accept the NFL's offer to return to the islands. The board rejected two previous proposals, but under mounting pressure reconsidered its latest refusal to pay the NFL $4 million a year to host the all-star game at Aloha Stadium in 2011 and 2012

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2009, 00:37 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

T.O. in Buffalo elicits `Wows’

AP Sports

Marv Levy had just stepped off a plane in Chicago when a friend informed him that Terrell Owens had signed with the Buffalo Bills.

The Hall of Fame coach’s first reaction was wondering if the person picking him up at the airport required a breathalyzer.

“I was surprised, naturally, like everybody else,” the former Bills coach and general manager said by phone Sunday. “I verified it a little bit later that it was true, and that my friend hadn’t been drinking.”

T.O. in Buffalo certainly takes some getting used to. The Bills aren’t the NFL’s sexiest destination, and they’ve traditionally operated on a low-profile, small-market scale, building mostly with draft picks and mid-range free agents. But the head-turning news of the receiver signing a one-year deal with the team Saturday is, in fact, for real.

“Wow,” said Bills Hall-of-Fame running back Thurman Thomas. “I said it at the end of last year that the Bills have to make a big splash. This is a bigger splash than I thought the Bills organization would ever make.”

Something this big hasn’t splashed in Buffalo since they started construction on the Erie Canal in the 1800s. And move aside chicken wings, Owens might be on the short end of his career in entering his 15th NFL season, but he can still draw attention that’s as hot as an Anchor Bar drumstick.

Though Buffalo has been home to numerous high-profile athletes, including Thomas, Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, O.J. Simpson and hockey’s Dominik Hasek and Gilbert Perreault, all of them were either developed in Buffalo or arrived early in their careers.

Owens’ situation is far different.

Here’s a bona fide A-list athlete, capable of commanding the modern-day electronic, 24-hour news cycle with a rare combination of great skill and high-maintenance personality, landing in a blue-collar town that former Bills running back Willis McGahee once complained lacked any semblance of a nightlife beyond Applebee’s.

Even Owens, after stints in San Francisco, Philadelphia and Dallas, acknowledged how this might initially seem a fish-out-of-water fit.

“This may not be the most ideal place for a lot of people, but I’m the guy,” Owens said. “I beat to my own beat sometimes, my own thinking, my own intuition. For me, this is an opportunity. It’s an interesting situation.”

What’s also clear is that the Bills needed the type of dramatic boost—on offense and in marketing—that Owens can immediately provide.

As a receiver, he’s among the NFL’s most prolific and capable of providing the Bills’ popgun passing attack a much-needed 1-2 punch opposite Lee Evans. Owens’ 25 touchdowns receiving over the past two years are one fewer than Buffalo has produced as a team over that span.

Marketing also plays a factor.

This is a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in nine years and was coming off three consecutive 7-9 finishes under coach Dick Jauron. And the Bills did need to do something big to counter the negative backlash and threats of a fan revolt that came at the end of last season when owner Ralph Wilson announced he would retain Jauron after his contract expired.

It’s no coincidence that shortly after Owens was signed that the Bills unveiled an Owens No. 1 team jersey and text-messaged fans to announce that their ticket office would be open Sunday morning.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold didn’t have the final numbers, but reported that sales were brisk.

Suddenly a few more prime-time network games aren’t out of the question, and don’t forget the team’s annual regular-season game in Toronto. The five-year across-the-border series kicked off to mixed reviews and lukewarm reaction last year, following a 16-3 loss to Miami at which at least a third of those in attendance were rooting for the Dolphins.

This year’s game, which has yet to be scheduled, will now feature an actual T.O. in T.O., as Toronto is sometimes called.

“I think it’s a great move,” Thomas said. “I always said they needed more play-makers out there, and he’s definitely one.”

Thomas discounted Owens’ reputation, and the extra baggage of distraction that has followed him throughout his career.

“He can be a headache sometimes, but I just think that comes with him being competitive,” Thomas said. “Nobody’s ever questioned his work ethic. And I tell you what, he definitely will be motivated because I think he knows this might be his last go-around at it.”

Even Levy, who favored bringing in what he called “high-character” players, reserved judgment.

“Everybody knows about him,” Levy said. “I remain an avid Bills fan and supporter. I hope it works out.”

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2009, 10:47 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Panthers release starting CB Lucas
Green, Fassel, Haslett to coach in UFL
Vick must go to hearing, pay for travel
Tomlinson, Chargers happy he's staying
Browns release veteran WR Jurevicius
Owens has clean slate with coach Jauron
Jets sign LB, special teams ace Izzo
OL Andre Smith works out for NFL teams
Rams add ex-Giants S Butler, FB Karney
Eagles look to replace some key players

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2009, 13:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Police: Fugitive Ex-NFL QB killed in Greece crash

By PATRICK WALTERS, Associated Press Writer
Mar 20, 2009

PHILADELPHIA (AP)—A former NFL quarterback who failed to show for sentencing on drunken driving charges nearly four years ago was killed in a car crash in Greece, authorities said, leaving behind an unsolved mystery involving two suspicious fires and years spent on the lam.

The State Department used fingerprints to determine that the victim of Saturday’s crash was William “Jeff” Komlo, according to Jim Vito, Chester County’s acting chief detective. Vito said he was initially skeptical, concerned because of Komlo’s history that he might have faked his own death.

“Even though we heard that he was deceased, the first reaction was that, well, we better make a positive identification,” Vito said.

Once the State Department verified the fingerprints were those of the 52-year-old fugitive, Vito was satisfied.

“As far as we’re concerned, we’re closing this now.”

A State Department spokesman, Noel Clay, declined to comment “out of respect for the family.” He would not say where in Greece the accident happened or release any details of the crash.

Komlo played for the Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers over five NFL seasons from 1979 to 1983.

In July 2005, Komlo failed to show for sentencing on two drunken driving convictions.

Two months earlier, authorities had issued a warrant for Komlo when he didn’t appear for a May 10 preliminary hearing on charges in an alleged assault on his girlfriend.

At the time he went missing, Komlo was under investigation for fires at his home in Chester Springs, Pa., and another home in Florida.

Komlo had lived in Chester Springs and worked as an insurance broker in the nearby Philadelphia suburb of Wayne. Authorities did not know what happened to him after he skipped the hearings in 2005.

“This guy apparently has created some intrigue over the years,” Vito said.

After getting into 16 games his rookie year with the NFL, the 200-pound, 6-foot-2-inch quarterback played sporadically the rest of his career.

An NFL spokesman did not immediately comment Friday.

Komlo starred at the University of Delaware, leading the Blue Hens to the Division II national championship game in 1978. The Lions picked him in the 9th round of the 1979 NFL draft.

Scott Selheimer, Delaware’s sports information director, said the school’s thoughts go out to Komlo’s friends and family.

“It’s a tragic situation where someone, when they were here at the university, was kind of like a hero,” Selheimer said. “It’s a shame that his life kind of tumbled. He was going through so many troubled situations for so long.”

An attorney who had represented Komlo in Palm Beach County, Fla., declined to comment Friday.

Two other attorneys who had represented him in Pennsylvania did not return telephone calls from The Associated Press. A telephone number for his ex-wife could not be located.

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2009, 21:56 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Goodell wants 17- or 18-game season (AP)

More games that count, perhaps as early as August 2011?

That's exactly what NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants.

post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2009, 01:25 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

An stupid error/misjudgement !!!!!!!!!!

Report: Improper anchoring caused boat accident

By CHRISTINE ARMARIO, Associated Press Writer
TAMPA, Fla. (AP)

—An agency investigating a deadly boating accident involving two NFL players and their friends in the Gulf of Mexico has concluded it was caused when the vessel was improperly anchored and the boat capsized after one of them tried to throttle forward to pry loose the anchor.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s investigation also cited carelessness and operator inexperience as contributing factors. The combination of errors came at the time a storm front was moving in, making conditions on the water very rough.

Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, free-agent NFL defensive lineman Corey Smith, and former University of South Florida players William Bleakley and Nick Schuyler departed from Clearwater Pass, Fla., early Feb. 28 to go offshore fishing for amberjack.

Schuyler, found clinging to the boat two days later, was the lone survivor. The other three men have not been found.

In an in-depth interview with the agency, Schuyler gave this account of the accident:

Early that morning, the men went more than 50 miles offshore in Cooper’s 21-foot vessel. It was loaded with two large coolers filled with ice, drinks, food and beer. All of the friends were dressed in warm clothes, sweat suits and jackets.

Around 5:30 p.m., they went to pull up the anchor and head back to port, but the anchor was stuck. Bleakley suggested they tie it to the transom and use the boat’s motor to pull it loose.

When Cooper tried to thrust the boat forward, the vessel became submerged and capsized, tossing the men overboard. All four tried uprighting the boat by standing on one side of the overturned vessel. When that didn’t work, Bleakley swam underneath and was able to retrieve three life vests, a large cooler and a portable, cushion-type flotation device.

Bleakley, who Schuyler has credited with saving his life, used the makeshift flotation device, which has been described previously as a cushion. The other three wore the vests.

The men appear to have tried everything in their power to rescue themselves: Schuyler told the agency they tried retrieving and using flares, but they were wet, agency Investigator Jim Manson said. They got their cell phones, which were in plastic baggies, but there was no signal.

They knew how many hours were passing because Schuyler had a watch with a light on and was able to keep track of the time. He said that around 5:30 a.m. the next day, Cooper became unresponsive. Schuyler and Bleakley tried to revive him without success.

Cooper’s flotation device was removed and Bleakley put it on. The Oakland Raiders linebacker then became separated from the boat.

About an hour later, Smith started to show “possible extreme symptoms of hypothermia.” He removed his flotation device and also became separated from the boat.

The two college teammates were the only ones left. They hung on together for about 24 hours, until Bleakley grew weak and removed his life vest as well.

Schuyler said that his friend appeared to die as he was holding onto him. He let his friend go and Bleakley drifted away.

Manson said moving the anchor line to the stern, or back of the boat, contributed to the vessel’s instability and flooding when they tried to free it. He described it as a mistake that probably happens every day, but one that a more experienced boater would be aware of and could handle.

Manson recommended cutting the line if boaters are not able to easily free their anchor. The agency advises boaters to take a boating safety course and leave a detailed float plan with friends or family.

Cooper, the boat’s owner, had more than 100 hours of boating experience but no formal education, and had been drinking, according to the report.

“Overall, it’s just a mistake in anchoring,” Manson said.

The Coast Guard released its records on the accident last week. According to the agency, Schuyler told them the boat capsized after their anchor got caught in a reef.

The accuracy of that account was somewhat unclear because Schuyler was suffering from hypothermia and spoke to them shortly after he was pulled from the boat. His doctor said he probably could have only lived another five to 10 hours.

The Coast Guard called off its search after three days of scouring 24,000 miles of ocean.

post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2009, 13:26 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Former Chicago Bear dies of heart attack at 33

Apr 4, 2009.
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP)

—Former Chicago Bears and Arkansas Razorbacks defensive lineman Ken Anderson has died of a heart attack at age 33.

Anderson’s pastor, Dexter Howard of Life Harvester Church in Fayetteville, confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday that Anderson died Friday night. Anderson was a minister at the church and was living in the Fayetteville area.

Anderson lettered for the Razorbacks from 1994-97 and played for the Bears in 1999.

post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2009, 10:25 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Jaguars, WR Holt agree to 3-year deal
Eagles do not plan to trade CB Brown
Steelers promise no Super Bowl letdown
Broncos to focus on defense in draft
Another tough choice for Lions in draft
Former Giants end pleads guilty to fraud
Colts re-sign S Giordano
Pioli looks to build legacy with Chiefs

post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:33 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Redskins could go after USC QB Sanchez

post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2009, 16:46 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Jon Gruden to replace Tony Kornheiser on 'Monday Night Football'

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden joins 'Monday Night Football'
Chris Harry

Sentinel Staff Writer

May 18, 2009

TAMPA

Turns out Tampa Bay Buccaneers fans -- and the rest of the NFL -- will get weekly doses of Jon Gruden this season.

Fired as coach of the Bucs after seven seasons, Gruden will join Mike Tirico and Ron Jaworski in the booth for ESPN's 2009 broadcasts of "Monday Night Football."

Gruden, 45, will replace Tony Kornheiser, who has decided to leave the program, citing his fear of flying, according to a network release.

"I am totally grateful for the MNF opportunity that I truly enjoyed the last three seasons. I feel we got better each year," Kornheiser said in a statement. "My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true. When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would've frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself."

That schedule would not have taken the MNF team to Tampa, but instead will take the only Bucs coach to win a Super Bowl into the MNF booth.

Gruden is a walking soundbyte -- albeit, sometimes a censored one -- and should make for an entertaining addition to the show's team.

"This is a tremendous opportunity and I am very excited to be associated with ESPN and Monday Night Football," Gruden said. "I grew up a fan of Monday Night Football, and whether I've coached on Monday night or watched, I've hardly missed a game all these years. To join Mike and Jaws in the booth and to work alongside this top-notch team is going to be a real thrill."

Added Kornheiser: "If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden. He is the two things you most want -- smart and funny -- and has the two things I don't: good hair and a tan."

Gruden joined the NFL Network for its draft coverage in April and performed to rave reviews.

"Jon is one of the best football minds in the game, he has a natural ability to communicate that knowledge and he brings great enthusiasm – everything you want in an analyst," said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president, production. "Combining Mike, one of the top play-by-play commentators in TV and radio, and Jaws, arguably the NFL's best X's and O's analyst, with Jon, a Super Bowl-winning head coach, will create a must-watch Monday Night Football booth during the 40th season and in the years ahead."

A teleconference with Gruden to announce the hiring is scheduled for Monday at 2 p.m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in