post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2007, 21:00 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Hawaii 2008~ProBowlers of 2007

32 Questions: Left hanging

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
December 19, 2007

Hello, and welcome to sunny Florida, home of endless orange groves, copious amusement parks and very, very average pro football players.

That's the logical conclusion one would draw after Tuesday's announcement of the 2008 Pro Bowl rosters, which included a grand total of zero players from the Jaguars and Buccaneers.

A closer look at the numbers: 11 Cowboys; eight Patriots and Chargers; seven Vikings; five Colts, Steelers and Seahawks. Two Chiefs, a Raider, a Raven, a Niner, a Ram … and a partridge in a pear tree.

Yet the big bagel for the Jags and Bucs, two playoff-bound teams with a combined 19-9 record.

Look, I know Pro Bowl voting is kind of a joke, the NFL's answer to the butterfly ballot (oops, sorry to dredge up that Florida memory). For one thing, it wraps up well before the end of the regular season, meaning that deserving players like Jags quarterback David Garrard and halfback Fred Taylor aren't helped by pivotal efforts like the ones they provided in Jacksonville's 29-22 victory at Pittsburgh Sunday.

The Pro Bowl has always been somewhat of a popularity contest, rather than a legitimate all-star coronation, :embarass: with players and coaches voting in blocs and sometimes giving little thought to their choices. Fan balloting was added in 1995, exacerbating a tendency to select players based on reputation and past deeds at the expense of current excellence.

"That Pro Bowl thing, personally I think it gets kind of political," Jags defensive end Paul Spicer said from the visitors' locker room at Heinz Field Sunday. "Once a guy makes it, it seems like he can do a half-assed job and then make it again. And that's not where it should be. I think the coaches and the NFL should take a good, hard look at it."

I'm not one of those people who whines about so-and-so missing out on the Pro Bowl without acknowledging that it's a zero-sum complaint. So, with apologies to some of the players selected, here are the Jags and Bucs who can complain about having been snubbed, and (when applicable) the men they should have replaced:

JAGS

• Garrard, who has a 16-2 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 101.6 passer rating for a 10-4 team, should have made it over the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger (29-11, 100.5, 9-5).

• Taylor, who has 1,091 yards, a 5.1 yard-per-carry average and the two longest touchdown runs in the AFC this season, should have been picked instead of the Colts' Joseph Addai (1,019, 4.1).

• Defensive tackle John Henderson should have received the nod over the Chargers' Jamal Williams (banged up for part of the season), though both are great players.

• Fullback Greg Jones, the first alternate, will likely go to Hawaii, because starter Lorenzo Neal broke his leg and is out for the season. Cornerback Rashean Mathis and Taylor are also first alternates, while Henderson and injured linebacker Mike Peterson are second alternates. Garrard is at best a third alternate, presumably behind Derek Anderson and Carson Palmer.

BUCS

• Cornerback Ronde Barber, who made the three previous Pro Bowls (and four overall), has been a big-play machine this season and should have been selected ahead of Seattle's Marcus Trufant, though the Packers' Charles Woodson also has reason to feel slighted.

• Wideout Joey Galloway, with eight receptions of 40-plus yards (tied with Randy Moss for the NFL lead), should have made it over the Packers' Donald Driver or the Rams' Torry Holt – though the Giants' Plaxico Burress, the Packers' Greg Jennings and the Saints' Marques Colston could also make cases.

• Middle linebacker Barrett Ruud has a right to complain about missing out (to the Seahawks' Lofa Tatupu and the 49ers' Patrick Willis); the Packers' Nick Barnett does even more so.

• Outside linebacker Derrick Brooks, who had made the last 10 Pro Bowls, was beaten out by the Cowboys' DaMarcus Ware (legit), the Seahawks' Julian Peterson (somewhat dubious) and the Bears' Lance Briggs (mostly legit).

Chances are, the Jags and Bucs will now channel their collective disappointment into no-one-believes-in-us fury, the way the similarly shut out 2002 Titans did all the way to the AFC Championship game.

That's about all these proud players can do; they can't go to the U.S. Supreme Court and ask for a recount, because we know how that would turn out.

Besides, it's not like the Sunshine State got completely shafted. One Florida-based player will be heading to Hawaii, and that's defensive end Jason Taylor – of the 1-13 Dolphins
, who you'll find in their customary spot of our top-to-bottom rundown:

1. New England Patriots: A little chilly there, boys?

2. Indianapolis Colts: Has a 12-2 defending champion ever been so written off?

3. Dallas Cowboys: Was that Tony Romo's last clunker of the season, and if not, can this team survive it?

4. Green Bay Packers: If it weren't for Randy Moss, would Greg Jennings be the league's preeminent deep threat?

5. Jacksonville Jaguars: If this team got to compete in the NFC playoffs, could it reach the Super Bowl?

6. Pittsburgh Steelers: Did they peak too early?

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: How many more decades until this franchise has as many kickoff returns for touchdowns as Devin Hester?

8. San Diego Chargers: Can this team win a playoff game at Indy (without help from the missed field goal gods)?

9. Tennessee Titans: Are they destined to be the NFL's equivalent of NIT champions?

10. Cleveland Browns: Even in a snowstorm, did you ever imagine this team could shut out anyone ?

11. Seattle Seahawks: Yeah, it sucks that they can't run, but isn't Bobby Engram's 1,000-yard season one of the most pleasant surprises in football this year?

12. Minnesota Vikings: What was uglier Monday night – the all-purple unis or Tarvaris Jackson's interception to Nathan Vasher late in the first half?

13. New York Giants: If Sanya Richards decides to be the next "Runaway Bride," will fiancι Aaron Ross even bother giving chase?

14. Houston Texans: With a last-place schedule in '08, will they be a trendy playoff pick?

15. Washington Redskins: Can you believe how much heart these guys have, and will it be enough to get them into the playoffs?

16. Buffalo Bills: On fourth-and-goal from the 10-yard line, is it a wise decision to throw underneath?

17. New Orleans Saints: Reggie who?

18. Philadelphia Eagles: Hypothetically, if Brian Westbrook from last Sunday met up with Mike Holmgren's Green Bay defense from the final minutes of Super Bowl XXXII, would his breakaway dash to the end zone ever end?

19. Arizona Cardinals: If Kurt Warner is still mad at offensive coordinator Todd Haley, will the quarterback show up for a team meeting in a Ronald McDonald costume?

20. Denver Broncos: When Travis Henry hears "The 12 Days of Christmas," does he feel like he's three-quarters of the way there?

21. Chicago Bears: More than a year later, can we now conclude that they are who Denny Green thought they were?

22. Carolina Panthers: Is John Fox's job any safer after beating the Seahawks, and is he stressed out that Marty Schottenheimer lives in the neighborhood?

23. Detroit Lions: Is it fair to say the lions at the San Diego Zoo were more ferocious last Sunday?

24. Oakland Raiders: Does Lane Kiffin want the West Virginia job?

25. Cincinnati Bengals: Hey guys – do you think you can hold the Browns under 50 this time?

26. New York Jets: When Mike Nugent missed that 35-yard field goal in the fourth quarter, how many Jets fans wanted to put him in a stranglehold?

27. Baltimore Ravens: Now don't you guys feel special?

28. St. Louis Rams: Will this team have four new starting offensive linemen in '08?

29. San Francisco 49ers: Doesn't the accomplished, dignified Bryant Young deserve to go out on a higher note?

30. Kansas City Chiefs: Hey, Carl Peterson – when you walk into Gates Barbecue, does the woman behind the counter scream "Hi, may I help you?" with a little more urgency than usual?

31. Atlanta Falcons: Yo, Arthur Blank – now that he has been proven to hold the majority opinion on Bobby Petrino, can DeAngelo Hall please have his $100,000 back?

32. Miami Dolphins: Can they pull an Appalachian State?

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2007, 12:10 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

NFL Pro Bowl to be played in Hawaii another year :thmbdown:

December 28, 2007

HONOLULU (AP) -- The NFL has decided the Pro Bowl will be played in Hawaii in 2009.

Under the current contract, the league could have moved the game to a different city in 2009, so long as the game returned to Hawaii in 2010.

Mayor Mufi Hannemann announced Friday that the NFL's postseason all-star game was staying put.

"I'm pleased to report that in discussions I had this morning with the National Football League, the game will be played in 2009 in Honolulu, Hawaii," Hannemann said at a news conference.

Hannemann said the game is important to the state's visitor industry because it draws 20,000 visitors to Hawaii. The state's contract with the NFL runs through the 2009 game.

The Pro Bowl has sold out every year since it moved to the 50,000-seat Aloha Stadium in 1980. The 2008 game is slated for Feb. 10.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2007, 12:18 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Too frikken bad .... the game should be played back in the States, the way it was yrs ago .... Im sure the State of Hawaii is GREA$$ING plenty of NFL Officials to keep it there ..

I remember going to the Old Sombrero in Tampa in the late 70's to watch a Pro Bowl and it was fantastic .....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2008, 21:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Kenny Stabler .... Sweetness .... WoW !!!!! Memories !!!!!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2008, 22:06 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

1978 And I was there.......

The 1978 AFC-NFC Pro Bowl was played on January 23, 1978 at Tampa Stadium in Tampa Bay, Florida. The final Score was NFC 14, AFC 13. Walter Payton of the Chicago Bears was the game's MVP.

Chicago Bear Hall of fame runner Walter Payton dived in from a yard out with just over seven minutes remaining in the 1978 Pro Bowl, propelling the NFC to a come-from-behind 14-13 victory over the AFC.

Payton was also selected game MVP, finishing with 77 yards on just 13 carries. Behind the running of Payton and the clutch pass-catching of Dallas' Billy Joe Dupree, the NFC battled from a 13-0 halftime deficit.

Dupree hauled in three key catches on the NFC's winning drive, including a five-yard grab from Cardinals' quarterback Jim Hart that set up Payton's winning dash.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2008, 22:27 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Jaguars' Taylor gets first Pro Bowl trip, replaces Parker for AFC

By MARK LONG, AP Sports Writer
January 8, 2008

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Jaguars running back Fred Taylor lost his title as the best player to never make the Pro Bowl.

He was added to the AFC roster Tuesday, replacing Pittsburgh's Willie Parker. Parker broke a bone in his right leg last month and pulled out of the league's all-star game, allowing Taylor to get his first Pro Bowl invitation.

Taylor finished fourth in balloting last month and was made the first alternate. He initially thought he missed out on a trip to Hawaii for the 10th consecutive season. But then Parker injured his leg two days after rosters were announced.

"Whenever it came up, I said I'd cross that bridge whenever I get to it," Taylor said Tuesday. "Now it's here. It doesn't change my approach at all. My team has been excited ever since I guess they understood what happened to Willie that particular week."

Taylor ranks 17th on the NFL's all-time rushing list and had been the only player in the top 49 to never make it to Honolulu.

Taylor said finally making the Pro Bowl was enjoyable, but it won't help the Jaguars defeat unbeaten New England in the divisional round of the AFC playoffs Saturday night.

"I don't think it's going to do anything for us this week playing a team the caliber of the Patriots," he said. "It's good to see that it's there, but it doesn't change any of the routines."

Taylor ran for 1,202 yards this season and averaged a career-best 5.4 yards per carry -- better than AFC selections LaDainian Tomlinson, Joseph Addai and Parker -- and finished the regular season with five consecutive 100-yard games.

He also had two of the four longest runs in the league this season.

He ran 16 times for 48 yards and a touchdown last week at Pittsburgh before leaving the game in the fourth quarter because of leg cramps.

The Jaguars entered the fourth period with an 18-point lead, then watched it evaporate when the Steelers scored three consecutive touchdowns. Jacksonville pulled out a 31-29 victory after quarterback David Garrard ran for 32 yards on fourth down, setting up Josh Scobee's 25-yard field goal.

"Thankfully we won the game," Taylor said. "I don't think I ever would have forgiven myself for that. But it really didn't hurt us."

Taylor said he didn't know what caused the cramps, but added they became painful after he ran about 60 yards following one of Garrard's interceptions.

"I really locked up after that," Taylor said. "I'll just try to hydrate a little bit more, eat a little bit better. I thought I did everything by the book. It was just something that happened."

So was getting to the Pro Bowl.

Taylor initially considered turning down a Pro Bowl invitation if either Tomlinson, Addai or Parker couldn't make the trip for the Feb. 10 game -- he even said "maybe the Pro Bowl doesn't deserve Fred Taylor" -- but his wife convinced him otherwise.

So he gladly accepted the offer Tuesday.

"He's very excited about receiving that honor," coach Jack Del Rio said. "We're happy for him. Fred's been one of the all-time greats here in Jacksonville. We're very happy for him individually. But I think Fred would tell you he's most excited right now about the opportunity to pursue a championship."

Sorry, BUT If I was Taylor...I would have told the NFL Idiots to STICK IT where the SUN dont Shine !!! .. You get called on the 1st place OR dont get called at all !!!!!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2008, 23:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Bucs QB Garcia added to Pro Bowl squad

January 24, 2008
TAMPA, FLORIDA (TICKER) --

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be represented in the Pro Bowl after all.

Quarterback Jeff Garcia on Thursday was selected to join the NFC team for the February 10 gala event, making him the lone representative from Tampa Bay.

As the conference's first alternate at quarterback, Garcia got the nod after Green Bay's Brett Favre elected to pull out of the game.

This marks Garcia's fourth Pro Bowl, as he made it for three consecutive seasons with the San Francisco 49ers from 2000-2002. His return five years later came in his first year as a Buccaneer and makes him the first Tampa Bay quarterback selected since Brad Johnson in 2002.

This past season, Garcia posted a 94.6 passer rating, second-highest in team history. He completed 209-of-327 passes for 2,440 yards, 13 touchdowns and just four interceptions.

If I Was Garcia ... I would also have TURNED them down... Too FRIKKEN Late for FRIKKEN Excuses !!!!!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2008, 23:22 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

What a FRIKKEN Joke this NFL Charade is .....

Maybe they can ADD me for the game too ..........................

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2008, 21:24 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

'08 NFC Pro Bowl roster

By Yahoo! Sports
February 6, 2008

AFC roster

The following is the roster for the NFC in the 2008 Pro Bowl, which will be played in Honolulu on Sunday.

NFC OFFENSE

Quarterbacks: Brett Favre*, Packers; Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks; Tony Romo, Cowboys; Jeff Garcia**, Buccaneers.

Running backs: Adrian Peterson, Vikings; Marion Barber, Cowboys; Brian Westbrook, Eagles.

Fullback: Tony Richardson, Vikings.

Wide receivers: Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals; Terrell Owens, Cowboys; Donald Driver, Packers; Torry Holt, Rams.

Tight ends: Jason Witten, Cowboys; Chris Cooley, Redskins.

Centers: Andre Gurode, Cowboys; Matt Birk, Vikings.

Guards: Leonard Davis, Cowboys; Steve Hutchinson, Vikings; Shawn Andrews, Eagles.

Tackles: Flozell Adams, Cowboys; Walter Jones*, Seahawks; Chris Samuels, Redskins; Chad Clifton**, Packers.

NFC DEFENSE

Ends: Aaron Kampman, Packers; Patrick Kerney*, Seahawks; Osi Umenyiora, Giants; Trent Cole**, Eagles.

Interior linemen: Kevin Williams, Vikings; Pat Williams, Vikings; Tommie Harris*, Bears; Darnell Dockett**, Cardinals.

Outside linebackers: Julian Peterson, Seahawks; DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys; Lance Briggs*, Bears; Greg Ellis**, Cowboys.

Inside/middle linebackers: Lofa Tatupu, Seahawks; Patrick Willis, 49ers.

Cornerbacks: Al Harris, Packers; Marcus Trufant, Seahawks; Terence Newman, Cowboys.

Free safeties: Sean Taylor*, Redskins; Ken Hamlin**, Seahawks.

Strong safeties: Darren Sharper, Vikings; Roy Williams, Cowboys.

SPECIALISTS

Kicker: Nick Folk, Cowboys.

Punter: Andy Lee, 49ers.

Kick returner: Devin Hester, Bears.

Special teamer: Brendon Ayanbadejo, Bears.

Long snapper: Ethan Albright, Redskins.

(* replaced player; ** substitute)

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2008, 21:24 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

'08 AFC Pro Bowl roster

By Yahoo! Sports
February 6, 2008

NFC roster

The following is the roster for the AFC in the 2008 Pro Bowl, which will be played in Honolulu on Sunday.

AFC OFFENSE

Quarterbacks: Tom Brady*, Patriots; Peyton Manning, Colts; Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers; Derek Anderson**, Browns.

Running backs: LaDainian Tomlinson*, Chargers; Joseph Addai, Colts; Willie Parker*, Steelers; Fred Taylor**, Jaguars; Willis McGahee**, Ravens.

Fullback: Lorenzo Neal, Chargers.

Wide receivers: Randy Moss*, Patriots; Reggie Wayne, Colts; Braylon Edwards, Browns; T.J. Houshmandzadeh**, Bengals; Chad Johnson**, Bengals.

Tight ends: Antonio Gates*, Chargers; Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs; Kellen Winslow**, Browns.

Centers: Jeff Saturday*, Colts; Dan Koppen**, Patriots.

Guards: Alan Faneca, Steelers; Logan Mankins, Patriots; Kris Dielman, Chargers.

Tackles: Matt Light, Patriots; Jason Peters, Bills; Jonathan Ogden*, Ravens; Marcus McNeill**, Chargers; Joe Thomas**, Browns.

AFC DEFENSE

Ends: Jared Allen, Chiefs; Kyle Vanden Bosch, Titans; Jason Taylor*, Dolphins; Aaron Schobel**, Bills.

Interior linemen: Albert Haynesworth, Titans; Vince Wilfork, Patriots; Jamal Williams*, Chargers; Casey Hampton**, Steelers.

Outside linebackers: James Harrison, Steelers; Mike Vrabel, Patriots; Shawne Merriman, Chargers.

Inside/middle linebackers: DeMeco Ryans, Texans; Ray Lewis, Ravens.

Cornerbacks: Champ Bailey, Broncos; Asante Samuel, Patriots; Antonio Cromartie, Chargers.

Free safety: Ed Reed, Ravens.

Strong safeties: Bob Sanders*, Colts; John Lynch*, Broncos; Troy Polamalu**, Steelers; Antoine Bethea**, Colts.

SPECIALISTS

Kicker: Rob Bironas, Titans.

Punter: Shane Lechler, Raiders.

Kick returner: Joshua Cribbs, Browns.

Special teamer: Kassim Osgood, Chargers.

(*replaced player; **substitute)

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2008, 11:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Memory of slain Redskins safety Sean Taylor looms at Pro Bowl

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer
February 9, 2008

HONOLULU (AP) -- There's one player missing from the Pro Bowl everyone keeps mentioning.

Sean Taylor.

The slain Washington Redskins safety, voted an NFC starter for Sunday's all-star game, will have a presence at Aloha Stadium.

All three Redskins on hand -- tackle Chris Samuels, tight end Chris Cooley and long snapper Ethan Albright -- will wear Taylor's No. 21. Those jerseys will be auctioned after the game on nfl.com, with proceeds going to the Sean Taylor Memorial Trust Fund, which was set up to benefit his daughter Jackie.

The league also paid for many of Taylor's family members, including father Pedro, to come to Hawaii. In all, Pedro Taylor said, there will be "12 or 13" on hand.

"It's all about respect," Pedro Taylor said. "You come here, you just enjoy what you do and you ensure that you're going to recognize your teammate. The guys are doing that ... it's an honor."

Taylor died Nov. 27 after being shot at his home during a botched robbery attempt. Teams have worn a No. 21 decal on their helmets ever since, which Pedro Taylor called "a special honor. It's great that the Redskins organization and the NFL allowed them to do this."

"I'm quite sure he's looking down at us and smiling. You can't take that away from him."

Teammates and opponents have paid tribute to the free safety throughout the week.

"He's always close to my heart," Samuels said. "I think about Sean every day. He's definitely supposed to be here with us. It's going to be big on Sunday for us to honor Sean."

Added Browns tight end Kellen Winslow, who played at the University of Miami with Taylor: "It's just great they're wearing 21, and that Sean's family is coming. It's awesome who Sean was and what he stood for. It's such a shame he is gone; I keep him right here (pointing to his heart)."

The only player voted posthumously to the Pro Bowl, Taylor also is remembered for his debut in the game a year ago. He leveled Buffalo punter Brian Moorman on a fake punt.

Samuels, a Pro Bowler last year, remembers the hit more than anything else about that Pro Bowl.

"It's good to see everyone is still remembering Sean," Samuels said. "It's important. And it's good to see he hasn't been forgotten."

Dallas' Ken Hamlin will start at free safety; there was no word if the NFC would open the game with 10 defenders as the Redskins did in their first game after Taylor's death.

AP - Feb 8, 2:28 pm EST

Overall, there are 41 first-timers in the Pro Bowl, the most since 44 were selected in 2000, which was the most since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, according to STATS LLC.

Among those newcomers are a few award winners: both rookies of the year, of course (Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson and San Francisco linebacker Patrick Willis); and comeback player Greg Ellis, an outside linebacker with the Cowboys.

For Ellis, a Pro Bowl spot is particularly noteworthy because the 10-year veteran tore his left Achilles' tendon in the 2006 season, struggled in his return and didn't become a regular for Dallas until the seventh game of 2007.

He went on to get 12 1/2 sacks and teamed with fellow outside LB DeMarcus Ware to terrorize offenses.

"When you aren't sure if you can make it back, or if you do, how well you will play, then it really is special to wind up in the Pro Bowl," Ellis said. "If you're hurt, obviously you'd love to be able to come back and win the comeback player of the year. The best thing is when the guys you play with see you take a hit or hit someone and they say, `Yeah, he's safe again.' "

Another award winner is Defensive Player of the Year Bob Sanders. The Colts safety is in his second Pro Bowl.

Oddly, the only member of the Super Bowl champion Giants is DE Osi Umenyiora, while six Patriots are on hand -- Tom Brady and Randy Moss dropped out after the Super Bowl loss to New York.

Green Bay's Mike McCarthy, who recently got a contract extension, will coach the NFC. San Diego's Norv Turner is the AFC coach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in