Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyed by Marseille
1. Mayweather
2. Calzaghe
3. Pac-Man
4. Cotto
5. JMM

Pavlik and no Calzaghe? C'mon.
Well, Pavlik has a KO over Taylor and Miranda. Calzaghe has two comfortable decisions over Lacy and Kessler. Depends on which resume you see as more impressive.

R.I.P Ari

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:10
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
Lacy and Kessler were both undefeated fighters with huge reps going into their Calzaghe fights, Lacy was the mini Tyson, destroying people with power and Kessler is still P4P top 20, maybe top 10, I think once Joe is gone Kessler will rule that division for a long time and we'll see how good a win that really was a guy in his mid 30's to beat Kessler in his prime.

I don't think Lacy is that good, but then again I'm not sure if it's that he was never that good to begin with, or that he was that good and the Calzaghe fight just destroyed him, he took an absolute pasting.

Also Calzaghe has that undefeated record and only ever looked in trouble against Robin Reid (who was very good at the time), none of his other decisions have really been close. Calzaghe is an all time great. Would be a bad idea for Hopkins to fight him, Calz would murder him in my opinion, far too active.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:13 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Quote:
Lacy and Kessler were both undefeated fighters with huge reps going into their Calzaghe fights, Lacy was the mini Tyson, destroying people with power and Kessler is still P4P top 20, maybe top 10, I think once Joe is gone Kessler will rule that division for a long time and we'll see how good a win that really was a guy in his mid 30's to beat Kessler in his prime.

I don't think Lacy is that good, but then again I'm not sure if it's that he was never that good to begin with, or that he was that good and the Calzaghe fight just destroyed him, he took an absolute pasting.

Also Calzaghe has that undefeated record and only ever looked in trouble against Robin Reid (who was very good at the time), none of his other decisions have really been close. Calzaghe is an all time great. Would be a bad idea for Hopkins to fight him, Calz would murder him in my opinion, far too active.
Have to disagree. B-Hop alng with Floyd is the smartest fighter out there, he's hard to hit and extremely crafty. European fighters are generally terrible when it comes ot technique and defense. I think Hopkins knocks Joe out.

Anyway, this is the fight I want to see in 2008 as Cotto-Mayweather will most likely not happen.

R.I.P Ari
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:17
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Calzaghe's a completely, completely different beast to Hatton. The guy is far closer to Mayweather than he is to Ricky. He has ridiculous handspeed, some of the best movement in the game, a granite chin and throws like 100 punches a round.

If Hopkins did pull it out of the bag it'd be a huge achievement, but make no mistake he's the underdog. No way whatsoever Calzaghe would have any trouble with Taylor, that fight would be a one sided beatdown. Hop obviously had quite a bit of trouble with Taylor.

If Hopkins can make it a brawl he has a chance, if Calzaghe just does what he normally does, I don't see how Hopkins could keep up.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Calzaghe's a completely, completely different beast to Hatton. The guy is far closer to Mayweather than he is to Ricky. He has ridiculous handspeed, some of the best movement in the game, a granite chin and throws like 100 punches a round.

If Hopkins did pull it out of the bag it'd be a huge achievement, but make no mistake he's the underdog. No way whatsoever Calzaghe would have any trouble with Taylor, that fight would be a one sided beatdown. Hop obviously had quite a bit of trouble with Taylor.

If Hopkins can make it a brawl he has a chance, if Calzaghe just does what he normally does, I don't see how Hopkins could keep up.
I agree that Joe would outclass Taylor. Imo Hopkins was robbed twice by Taylor, so take those results with a grain of salt.

I like Joe, he pushes the action and what not...but the fact still remains. His resume is nothing compared with Bernard's, and until Joe beats a top MW or LHW he won't crack my P4P list.

Kessler and Lacy are were one demensional opponents who had power and nothing else. Hopkins will be a whole other ball game.

R.I.P Ari
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:29
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Kessler is far better than you're making him out to be man, he barely lost a round in his career until he met Calzaghe, utterly dominated all his fights, the ones where he stepped up to meet good opponents he dominated just as much. He'll rule that division for years to come if he stayed in it. Actually, I think Kessler would decimate Taylor too.

But yeah, rumour has it Hop/Calz have agreed terms now, so it looks like the fight is on. Maybe when he beats B-Hop he can crack your list.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:35
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
1. PBF Mayweather
2. Pacman
3. Miguel Angel Cotto
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Joe Calzaghe

Boxers to look out for:

-Arthur Abraham - German/Armenian middlewight with great power. Could be fighting in the US against the winner of Taylor-Pavlik 2 towards the end of next year if all goes to plan.

-Alexander Povetkin - could be fighting Klitschko towards the end of next year. May be a bit too early for him and Wlad's just so big but he's far better than these Rahman / other US heavyweight clowns we've seen far too much of in the past couple of years.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:37
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Povetkin is impressive. If Haye steps up (probably will), then he'll probably blast through the fringe guys and establish himself in the big leagues pretty quickly.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:38
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Also it's way, way too early but damn, Amir Khan looked impressive last night.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:43
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
1. Mayweather
2. Joe Calzagher
3. Miguel Cotto
4. Kelly Pavlik
5. Juan Diaz

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:48
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah, Diaz is top 10 for sure.

I'd still have Hatton top 10, despite last night too.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Quote:
Yeah, Diaz is top 10 for sure.

I'd still have Hatton top 10, despite last night too.
Yep Hatton is still prob top 5, but obviously the loss put him down a couple places.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

As far as I'm concerned Hatton was never top 5, he was top 10 before the Floyd fight...but top 5? No chance.

R.I.P Ari
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:54
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Hope he doesn't fight Oscar next, obviously it'd be a big pay day for him but he's not big enough at 147, he needs to drop back to 140 and clean out the division, beat Paulie, beat Witter and finally clear that one up and maybe even fight Pac-Man at 140. He can still go down as one of the all time greats at that weight, he lost to the best boxer in the world, dude is still elite.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:54
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy
As far as I'm concerned Hatton was never top 5, he was top 10 before the Floyd fight...but top 5? No chance.
I had him top 5 when he beat Zoo. He's never really looked like being beaten at 140, which is his max weight class, imo.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:55 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Hatton-Pac would be great, I'd pay money to see that. Although imo Hatton would be too big for Manny at that weight. He'd smother him.

R.I.P Ari
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2007, 17:55 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
I had him top 5 when he beat Zoo. He's never really looked like being beaten at 140, which is his max weight class, imo.
The thing about the Tszyu fight was this. Not to take anything away from Ricky as he did deserve that win. But they were fighting in England and the ref basically let Hatton smother Kostya the entire fight with the clinches.

R.I.P Ari
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2007, 13:44
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy
Have to disagree. B-Hop alng with Floyd is the smartest fighter out there, he's hard to hit and extremely crafty.
I agree with the above. As good as Joe is, Hopkins is such a smart, cagey and dirty fighter. He has made good fighters look ordinary and I bet he does the same to Joe. He winds the opponent up in order to put them off their stride. He is a class act but I actually hate the way he fights and the contests arent exactly the most exciting either. The way to beat him is to play the same game but you can imagine what a borefest that woud be.

"Real Madrid must always win, but it must also be sensitive to the fans. Our followers should go home with something more than just a victory. It is important to define a style of play that the fans can identify with." Miguel Pardeza

Not everyone understands house music; it's a spiritual thing; a body thing; a soul thing.

Formerly Hoseman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in