Cheapest cheap shot? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2007, 13:05 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Manchester United, Montreal Impact
Cheapest cheap shot?

What is the dirtiest play you've ever seen? Here are four off the top of my head.

Bertuzzi on Moore
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY

Downie on McAmmond
http://youtube.com/watch?v=322zqTkL0-c

Chelios on Propp
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zaHQ5mLiL1w

Johnson on Beukeboom
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTM8ocJJkY4

Last edited by RedRager; October 1st, 2007 at 13:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2007, 21:35
Xtratime Legend

They are all bad but the Bertuzzi one takes the cake because he broke Moore's neck and ended his career.

Here is another one:

Claude Lemieux cheap shot on Chris Draper:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4W-JXDu1X-I
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2007, 21:43
Xtratime Legend

Four NHL players made it on the ESPN Dirtiest pro players list:

4. Ulf Samuelsson

How could you compile a list of the dirtiest players of all-time without even making mention of Ulf Samuelsson? The guy is the undisputed king of the cheap shot, and he revelled in it for his entire career ... at least until anyone called him out, at which point he would "turtle up" and slink away. I don't think anyone on your list is more hated by a group of fans than Samuelsson was (and still is) by fans of the Boston Bruins, who saw Cam Neely, arguably the team's best and most popular player since Bobby Orr, have his career shortened by a knee-on-thigh dirty hit by Samuelsson. Ulfie deserves to go to the top of your list.

7. Claude Lemieux

The best insight into Lemieux's dirty, dark, shriveled soul was the Kris Draper incident. He ran Draper into the boards in a premeditated fashion, then laughed about it. Seventy-six stitches later, Draper stopped bleeding. This incident puts into perspective all the pathetic wailing about supposedly dirty hits in the current playoffs. In light of Lemieux-Draper, it's funny to hear all the fuss over the Gary Roberts and Jeff O'Neill hits, which looked reasonable to me. I suspect that if Claude hit someone as hard and dirty as he hit Draper that night, the ESPN booth crew might actually wet its pants. Perhaps the best measure of dirtiness is peer evaluation. To quote Dino Ciccarelli on Lemieux after that fateful Detroit-Colorado series: "I can't believe I shook his **** hand."

8. Bryan Marchment

Bryan Marchment, right, has left a trail of injured players in his wake.
Do me a favor. Go to Google and do a search with the words Marchment and goon, and tell me what you find. How could you leave such an obvious cheap-shot artist such as Bryan Marchment off your list? Sure, he's not retired and doesn't get the benefit of books written about his dirty play, but the guy's still active and his cheap shots are already legendary.

10. Bobby Clarke

You have got to be kidding. Tiger Williams was a punk compared to Bobby Clarke. Arguably the dirtiest player the NHL has ever seen, Clarke's slashing style of play epitomized the Philadelphia Flyers' Stanley Cup championship teams of the 1970s, also known as the Broad Street Bullies. The way he sliced up his opponents with his stick would make a Japanese steak house cook swell with pride.

Domi, McSorley, Hunter and Chelios also received votes but didn't make the Top 10 list. Chris Pronger will probably make the list in the future.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2007, 15:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Nothing comes close to Bertuzzi hounding Moore around the ice for 40 seconds(after Moore already fought and beat Matt Cooke in the 1st period) before breaking his neck and driving him into the ice.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2007, 17:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
definetely the Bertuzzi incident

in terms of Rangers - Islanders, Simon last season against Hollweg and a few years back (forget the exact season, definetely before the lockout) Puriton sucker punched Cairns and when Cairns went after him Puriton skated away like a punk, also the same game one of the Rangers enforcers was going after Czerkawski, a guy who can't fight to save his life
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:50
International

Teams: Cro NT, NY Islanders, USA NT, Notre Dame
I don't consider Bertuzzi a total cheapshot artist because well he only had one incident.

But Samuelsson has ended multiple careers. Neely, Bellows and he poked that guys out. When Domi knocked him out with that cheapshot believe nobody shed a tear.

Also throw Domi on that list what a piece of garbage.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2007, 13:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Ulf Samuelsson is a gutless punk, the whole turtling is the worse part. If you cheap shot people, you better be willing to answer the bell. While he was a dirty player, I'll give Marchment credit for not running away when someone pulled his card. Samuelsson and Claude Lemieux were a disgrace.

BTW, Gary Suter's crosscheck to the face on Paul Kariya was pretty bad aswell, can't find a clip of it.

So was Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xte-Vtxg-m8
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2007, 18:39
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Speaking of Gary Suter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7XAQgsvwQ-0

R.I.P Ari
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2007, 02:58
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRager

So was Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xte-Vtxg-m8
Two things that make me happy and sad about that clip.

First that was 93 that was the last time we won a playoff series How pathetic.

And anyone see that dude that came flying in like a bullet. That was Rich Pilon one of my favorite Islanders. A small tough clean player and would be willing to do anything for his team. He came back from some awful injuries and was always a good NHLer.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2007, 03:04
International

Speaking of women what about darcy Tucker what a gutless piece of garbage.

I remember that whole Islanders Toronto series when guys like Cummins, Cairns, Webb went after him he back down but went after tough guys like Blake and Shawn Bates:rollani: I remember Webb decked him good several times what a worthless human being.

Throw in Gary Roberts and that other women Corson hell throw in Quinn too. What a bunch of losers!!

Last edited by croatian batman; October 4th, 2007 at 03:11.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2007, 12:55 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian batman
Speaking of women what about darcy Tucker what a gutless piece of garbage.

I remember that whole Islanders Toronto series when guys like Cummins, Cairns, Webb went after him he back down but went after tough guys like Blake and Shawn Bates:rollani: I remember Webb decked him good several times what a worthless human being.

Throw in Gary Roberts and that other women Corson hell throw in Quinn too. What a bunch of losers!!
That Leafs team were a bunch of scumbags. Is that the same series when Corson kicked Cairns? I remember Tucker's knee on Mike Peca and Roberts' hit from behind on Jonsson. I remember Steve Webb that series, he was a

Tie Domi was the worst of them, one time against us, he punched Shaun van Allen on his fractured jaw while he was wearing a jaw protector, another time he wanted to a fight with Magnus Ardvedsson, prompting Alfredsson to swing his stick at his head, too bad Alfie missed. At least McGrattan beat his ass good afew years later. The funniest was seeing the Leafs post game press conference with Pat Quinn justifying his team's dirty play and whining about the referees.

Last edited by RedRager; October 4th, 2007 at 13:01.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2007, 13:07 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Highlights from the series croatian batman and me mentioned

Corson kicks Cairns (pay attention to the end of the fight)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xdQBZGQiBKo

Tucker knees Peca
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DsGIi0KU9Uk

Webb drills Tucker
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bB9O8GYQ54I

Last edited by RedRager; October 4th, 2007 at 13:17.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2007, 02:07
Xtratime Legend

Here is a new list from ESPN.com:

10. May 29, 1996: Claude Lemieux's hit from behind on Kris Draper
He has as many Stanley Cup rings as Wayne Gretzky, but Claude Lemieux's legacy is often tied to a hit that sparked one of the NHL's best rivalries, something Colorado and Detroit fans will never forget. During the 1996 Western Conference finals, Lemieux slammed a defenseless Kris Draper from behind, face first into the top of the boards. Draper was left with a broken jaw, nose and cheekbone, along with a concussion. Draper's jaw was wired shut for more than a month and he needed reconstructive surgery on his face.

Punishment
A two-game suspension and a $1,000 fine.

Real justice
Considering what was at stake and how avoidable the incident was, Lemieux should have received a suspension for the rest of the playoffs and a 20-game suspension to start the next season.

Notable
When Lemieux retired in 2003, he was eighth all-time with 80 career playoff goals. Lemieux won Stanley Cups in Montreal and New Jersey, and two with Colorado.

9. Feb. 1, 1998: Gary Suter's cross-check on Paul Kariya
Gary Suter's NHL résumé is impeccable. He is a four-time All-Star, posted 844 career points in more than 1,000 games, won a Stanley Cup, an Olympic silver medal and a World Cup of Hockey championship.

Suter's one indelible blemish came on Feb. 1, 1998. While Anaheim's Paul Kariya celebrated his goal, Suter (then with the Blackhawks) cross-checked Kariya across the face. The end result: Kariya suffered a concussion that forced him to miss the final 28 games of the regular season as well as the Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan, where he was supposed to play for Canada. It was Kariya's fourth career concussion. Months later, he still suffered from memory loss and headaches. According to Kariya, he would check his answering machine and forget who had called by the time the message finished playing.

Punishment
Suter received a four-game suspension.

Real justice
Suter should have received a 20-game suspension and exclusion from 1998 Winter Olympics.

Notable
During the 1991 Canada Cup, Suter knocked Wayne Gretzky out of the tournament with a hit from behind.

8. April 28, 1993: Dale Hunter's hit from behind on Pierre Turgeon
With the Islanders leading 4-1 in the third period of Game 6 of the 1993 Patrick Division semifinals, Pierre Turgeon intercepted a pass from the Capitals' Hunter. After Turgeon scored, he was blindsided into the boards by Hunter. Turgeon sustained a separated shoulder from the hit, causing him to miss the following playoff series against the Penguins and see limited action in the conference finals against the Canadiens.

Punishment
Hunter was suspended 21 games.

Real justice
Considering this incident was completely unprovoked and may have impacted the outcome of the Stanley Cup playoffs by effectively removing the Islanders' best player, a 40-game suspension seemed right.

Notable
Over the past three seasons as coach of the Ontario Hockey League's London Knights, Hunter has been suspended on three separate occasions for his players' on-ice transgressions. Hunter is the only player in NHL history to record more than 300 goals, 1,000 points and more than 3,000 penalty minutes.

7. March 13, 1955: "Rocket" Richard's assault and battery
Maurice "Rocket" Richard gave hockey fans some of the sport's greatest moments: 50 goals in 50 games, the first to collect 500 career goals and eight Stanley Cups with the Canadiens. But he was also part of one of the game's ugliest moments.

Playing against the Bruins, Hal Laycoe high-sticked Richard in the head during a Montreal power play. The referee signaled for a delayed penalty (Montreal had possession of the puck). An incensed Richard indicated to the referee that he'd been injured, and then skated up to Laycoe and gave him a two-handed slash across the face and shoulders. The linesmen unsuccessfully tried to restrain Richard, who broke free and again attacked Laycoe, breaking his stick over Laycoe's back. Linesman Cliff Thompson was finally able to restrain Richard and pin him on the ice. The incident appeared to be over until Richard again broke free and punched Thompson twice in the face. Richard later said at a league hearing that he thought Thompson was one of Boston's players.

Punishment
Richard was suspended for the rest of the regular season (three games) and the playoffs (12 games). At the time, this represented the longest suspension for an on-ice incident in NHL history.

Real justice
The attack on Laycoe, although horrible, can somewhat be explained by the initial slash that cut the side of Richard's head. Punching a linesman in the face -- twice -- is a little more difficult to justify. Regardless of his reasons, Richard was a danger to everyone around him. The suspension handed out was justified and appropriate.

With Richard in action, the Canadiens might have won the Cup that season. Instead, they lost in seven games to Detroit.

Notable
A few days after the suspension was announced, NHL president Clarence Campbell attended a Canadiens-Red Wings game in Montreal. He was pelted with eggs, fruit and debris. The game was forfeited to the Wings, sparking a riot at the Forum and in the streets. This event would be dubbed the "Rocket Riot."

Chris Simon's stick hit on the Rangers' Ryan Hollweg

Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Chris Simon was suspended for 25 games for hitting Ryan Hollweg with his stick.

6. March 8, 2007: Chris Simon's stick attack on Ryan Hollweg

After getting knocked down by a clean, hard hit into the boards from Ryan Hollweg, the Islanders' Chris Simon got up and took a two-handed swing at the head of the Rangers forward. Fortunately, Hollweg only suffered a cut across his chin that required a few stitches.

Punishment
Simon was suspended for 25 games (five in the playoffs and 20 in the regular season).

Real justice
Some will disagree, but I factor in both the act itself and what impact the incident had on the team. In this case, Hollweg, who collected one goal and two assists in 78 games last season, was hardly an impact player. I think the suspension was appropriate.

Notable
Simon's hit came three years to the day after the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident.

5. Feb. 21, 2000: Marty McSorley's stick attack on Donald Brashear
With just seconds left in a game between the Bruins and Canucks, Boston's Marty McSorley took a two-handed stick swing at Donald Brashear's head. Brashear fell backward and hit his head on the ice after the initial stick hit. The Canucks tough guy lost consciousness and suffered a Grade 3 concussion. Earlier in the game, Brashear had beaten McSorley in a fight. McSorley contended that he meant to strike Brashear on the shoulder, not the head, to provoke another fight.

Punishment
McSorley was suspended for the rest of the season (23 games) and charged with one count of assault with a weapon. McSorley was later found guilty and sentenced to 18 months of probation.

Real justice
A one-year NHL suspension, including playoffs.

Notable
The trial was the first for an on-ice attack by an NHL player since Dino Ciccarelli, who received one day in jail and a $1,000 fine for hitting Toronto's Luke Richardson with his stick in 1988. McSorley would never play another NHL game.

4. Sept. 24, 1972: Bobby Clarke's slash on Valeri Kharlamov
Three-time league MVP Bobby Clarke is arguably one of the greatest leaders the game has seen, but one nasty incident stands out for its ugly premeditated nature. It was Game 6 of the 1972 Summit Series between Canada and the USSR. Canada trailed in the series 3-1-1 when Clarke laid a vicious two-handed slash across the ankle of Valeri Kharlamov. Clarke reportedly made the move at the urging of assistant coach John Ferguson. Kharlamov suffered a broken ankle, and the Soviet Union lost its best player, helping Canada roar back to win the event.

Punishment
Clarke was assessed a two-minute slashing minor and a 10-minute misconduct.

Real justice
As much as Paul Henderson's series-winning goal is remembered as the defining moment of this event, Clarke's slash was more than a footnote. Kharlamov, who was as edgy on the ice as he was talented, led all Soviet players in penalty minutes during the Summit Series. Losing Kharlamov meant the Russians lost their most skilled player, one who could handle the physical nature of the series. Clarke, who was celebrated by many as a hero back in Canada after the attack, should have been suspended for the rest of the tournament for what was a deliberate attempt to injure.

Notable
When asked about the slash, Clarke said years later, "If I hadn't learned to lay on a two-hander once in a while, I'd never have left Flin Flon."

3. March 8, 2004: Todd Bertuzzi's hit on Steve Moore
This is perhaps the most repeated hockey highlight (or lowlight) to be played on "SportsCenter." The Canucks' Todd Bertuzzi, one of the game's premiere power forwards, attacked Colorado's Steve Moore from behind, punching him in the head and then driving Moore's body into the ice while falling on top of him. Moore suffered three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a Grade 3 concussion, vertebral ligament damage, stretching of the brachial plexus nerves and facial cuts, likely ending Moore's hockey career. Bertuzzi defenders are quick to point out that he tried to engage Moore in a fight earlier in the game and he was simply sticking up for a teammate (Markus Naslund was injured by a Moore hit three weeks earlier). Regardless, the brutality of this attack and its end result clearly outweigh whatever rationale may have been behind it.

Punishment
Bertuzzi was handed an indefinite NHL suspension, which ended up being 20 games (13 regular season, seven playoffs). He was formally charged with assault causing bodily harm. Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to the charge after arranging a plea bargain with prosecutors (a conditional discharge and one year's probation). A multimillion-dollar civil lawsuit filed by Moore and his family is still pending.

Real Justice
A suspension for the remainder of that season, plus one full NHL season, including playoffs, and punitive damages to be paid to Moore for lost income and mental and physical suffering.

Notable
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has been actively attempting to get Bertuzzi and Moore to agree on an out-of-court settlement. During the suspension, Bertuzzi lost more than $500,000 in salary.

2. Dec. 12, 1933: Eddie Shore's attack on Ace Bailey
In the second period of a game against Toronto, Boston's Eddie Shore was tripped by King Clancy while carrying the puck. Enraged that the referee didn't call a penalty, Shore immediately went looking to settle the score with the first Leaf he saw. The defenseman came up behind an unsuspecting Ace Bailey and violently flipped him backwards, causing Bailey's helmetless head to crash to the ice. Bailey cracked his skull and he was knocked unconscious. Bailey spent the next five weeks in the hospital, fighting for his life. Bailey survived the attack, but his hockey career was over.

Punishment
Shore received a 16-game NHL suspension.

Real justice
Without seeing the video of this hit, it's hard to quantify how dirty the play was and what punishment is suitable. But considering the severity of Bailey's injuries and how it altered his life, it's fair to say Shore got off easy and should have received at least a one-year suspension.

Notable
After recovering from his injuries, Bailey worked as an assistant penalty timekeeper at Maple Leaf Gardens. As a tribute to Bailey and his family, a benefit game was held on Feb. 14, 1934. That "special game" evolved into what is now the All-Star Game.

1. Sept. 21, 1969: Wayne Maki and Ted Green's stick-swinging battle
In a preseason game between the Blues and Bruins, a scuffle between St. Louis forward Wayne Maki and Boston defenseman Ted Green escalated into a full-fledged stick-swinging battle. Both players delivered vicious slashes and spears to one another before the incident ended with Maki clubbing Green over the head and fracturing his skull. Green needed three major operations to save his life and had a steel plate inserted in his head. Green missed the entire 1969-70 season while recovering from the injury.

Punishment
Both players received 30-day suspensions (13 games). Assault charges were filed against both players, who were later acquitted.

Real justice
This incident is harder to assess because there isn't any clear victim -- just two assailants. The entire justification of allowing fighting in the game is to stop these sorts of situations from occurring. Considering these players chose to swing sticks instead of fight one another, they both deserved to be suspended for a full season.

Notable
Despite his missing the entire 1969-70 Cup-winning season with the Bruins, Green's teammates gave him a share of their playoff prize money. Green left the NHL in 1972 and joined the New England Whalers of the WHA. Green was named their first captain and led the team to the WHA's inaugural league championship.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...vid&id=3078202
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2007, 02:13
Legend

Teams: Italia - Roma
Are you telling me that Bertuzzi broke the guy neck and made him paralyzed?

What happen to that SOB of Bertuzzi after? Sure he must have been punished severely...

Make Xtratime great again.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2007, 02:29
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
This just proves the stereotype that Canadian players are thugs.

R.I.P Ari

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in