LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 21:05 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
U of Michigan Authorized and authenticated Thread

Michigan , Notre Dame (SPECIALLY) in strange territory

September 9, 2007

(C) 2007 PA SPORTSTICKER ENTERPRISES, L.P. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

By Jim Ralabate PA SportsTicker College Football Editor

Having trouble remembering the last time both Michigan and Notre Dame started the season 0-2? Don't feel bad - it hadn't ever happened until Saturday.

Thanks to another pair of abysmal performances this past weekend, the Wolverines and Fighting Irish both are winless heading into next Saturday's contest against each other in Ann Arbor.

It marks the first time in NCAA history that both Michigan and Notre Dame - college football's two winningest programs - are 0-2.

Although the Fighting Irish were expected to struggle early on, nobody could have predicted such a horrific start for the Wolverines, who suffered an embarrassing 39-7 home loss to unranked Oregon on Saturday.

The drubbing came seven days after Michigan was beaten by Appalachian State in arguably the greatest football upset of all time.

"I don't think we could have a more difficult opening than we've had," embattled Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. "We had tremendous expectations, yet we're 0-2."

With their title hopes all but dashed following the loss to Appalachian State, the Wolverines brimmed with confidence heading into their game with the Ducks. But they were in for a rude awakening, as Oregon handed them their worst home loss since 1968.

"In my judgment, the battles we have to fight are confidence - we have to do a good job working hard in practice," Carr said. "There is no magic bullet. There is a lot of work that we have to do."

However, Carr may find himself out of work if his Wolverines continue to underperform at such a stunning level. After surrendering 387 yards to the Mountaineers, the Wolverines outdid themselves against the Ducks, yielding an eye-popping 624 yards.

It was the latest in a string of defensive disasters for Michigan, which has allowed a total of 147 points over its last four games - all losses - dating to last season, an average of 36.8 per contest.

But Carr remained resolute a day after losing to Oregon, arguing that he will not coach any differently despite being on the hot seat.

"There is nothing that can keep me down," Carr said Sunday. "Not a loss to Appalachian State, not a loss to Oregon, not 100 losses.

"And, not the loss of my job. I think the same thing can be said for our team."

Apparently the driver of Carr's optimism bandwagon is senior running back Mike Hart, who guaranteed that the Wolverines will defeat the Fighting Irish.

Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis may have more job security than Carr, but he also has serious problems to deal with in South Bend.

The Irish have lost their first two games by a combined margin of 51 points and have been unwatchable on offense, collecting a grand total of 13 points in the two contests while managing minus-eight yards rushing in that span.

And by the way, seven of those 13 points came courtesy of cornerback Darrin Walls' interception return for a score against Penn State.

The defense has not been any better, as Notre Dame has allowed 429 rushing yards over the first two games. Saturday's 31-10 loss to Penn State marked the Irish's fourth straight defeat by 20 or more points - a school record.

Notre Dame's woes likely will not be eased by freshman quarterback Jimmy Clausen, who showed flashes of potential but was largely ineffective vs. Penn State in his first collegiate start.

With all those factors working against his team, Weis did not find fault with Hart's prediction.

"He probably watched the game - he watched our game the last two weeks," Weis said. "If I would have watched our games the last two weeks, I might have made the guarantee myself."

WASHINGTON WINS AGAIN: While Weis is mired in a mess, former Notre Dame coach and current Washington head man Tyrone Willingham is riding high following his team's upset of Boise State on Saturday.

The Huskies completely stifled the 22nd-ranked Broncos, ending the nation's longest winning streak and picking up their first win over a ranked opponent since 2003.

"The first thing that comes to my mind is it's great to win," Willingham said. "I thought our young men played a very good football team out there."

It definitely won't be the last very good team they play, as No. 10 Ohio State is the next opponent on Washington's loaded schedule.

Things won't get any easier from there for the Huskies, who also are slated to play UCLA, Southern California, Oregon, California, Oregon State and Hawaii.

Still, the happy juice is flowing like water right now in Washington, which is off to its first 2-0 start since 2001. The Huskies won their first four games that year en route to an 8-4 finish.

Willingham and Co. know that in order to do that this year, they will have to find some more magic potion against the heavily favored Buckeyes, who have yielded a total of just eight points over their first two games.

"I am thinking that (the Buckeyes) are going to be a hard-nosed football team," senior linebacker Dan Wilson said. "And they are going to come and hit hard."

EXTRA POINT: Texas A&M fullback Jorvorskie Lane might be the hardest man to tackle in college football.

The Aggies' 263-pound bowling ball ran wild in Saturday's triple-overtime win over Fresno State, rushing for four touchdowns. The junior bounced off numerous tackles and carried defenders on his back on more than one occasion, conjuring up images of Earl Campbell, Jerome Bettis and T.J. Duckett.

"It's every running back's dream," Lane said. "I give my O-line all the credit for my touchdowns. They did a great job."

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 21:06 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

2 Schools as OVERRATED as the NY Bulls !!!!!!

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 21:09 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Ambis...Sorry you just cant go erasing this one now .... You REALY should have left yours up .... Even Grown Men cry...sometimes .... and thats allright ..... you just dont go undoing your embarassing past..thought ...

Last edited by colocolo; September 10th, 2007 at 22:08.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 21:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Be happy the THREAD didnt read

25 Reasons why University of Michigan S U C K S !!!!!!!!

After all Im a gentleman and a scallion .....

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 22:27
Xtratime Legend

Oh good yet another topic for you to just copy and paste in...
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 22:39 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambis
Oh good yet another topic for you to just copy and paste in...
I guess so, but now I can REALLY throw the SPICE in.... Im telling you....You REALLY had a great thread goinn..I dont know what came of you ..... .. You should have left it alone ... We ALL have with Our Teams HORRIBLE days, but that is NEVER then end of the world

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 22:56
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
I guess so, but now I can REALLY throw the SPICE in.... Im telling you....You REALLY had a great thread goinn..I dont know what came of you ..... .. You should have left it alone ... We ALL have with Our Teams HORRIBLE days, but that is NEVER then end of the world
Don't worry it's still in the XT archive so once Les Miles takes over the team next year it will be brought back... but until then you can keep us updated on this current team that has clearly quit on its coach.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 00:32 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Thats your choice ...... and I abide by it ..

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 01:10
Legend

Teams: BIH, FK VELEZ, MANCHESTER UNITED, TSG HOFFENHEIM
How is Lloyd Carr not fired?He loses to some shitty DivII school and gets humiliated by Oregon at home.Some "experts" were actually picking Michigan to win the nat'l championship.

1974-75 UEFA CUP
1.RD Velez Mostar-Spartak Moscow 2:0 1:3
2.RD Velez Mostar-Rapid Wien 1:0 1:1
3.RD Velez Mostar-Derby County 4:1 1:3

1987-88 UEFA CUP
1.RD Velez Mostar-Sion 5:0 0:3
2.RD Velez Mostar-Borussia Dortmund 2:1 0:2

1988-89 UEFA CUP
1.RD Velez Mostar-APOEL 1:0 5:2
2.RDVelez Mostar-Belenenses0:0 0:0(4:3 pk's)

Osvajaci Kupa Marsala Tita-Kup Jugoslavije 1981,1986
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 09:01 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELEZ1922
How is Lloyd Carr not fired?He loses to some shitty DivII school and gets humiliated by Oregon at home.Some "experts" were actually picking Michigan to win the nat'l championship.

Mmmmmmm the SAME frikken experts that believe 10 TEAMS or so.... are better than the DEFENDING CHAMPS Gators !!!!!! bahawah !!!

Last edited by colocolo; September 11th, 2007 at 09:10.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2007, 15:53
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELEZ1922
Because Michigan is all about tradition and the AD is stuck in the past. He thinks that Carr deserves to go out on his own (which should have been about three years ago) just because he won a national tittle in 1997. This team is going down the same path as Notre Dame and Florida State. Just like ND our recruiting has been over hyped every year and instead of recruiting the "right players for this era" we end up recruiting "Michigan type players" who play the old Bo 80's style football and so we get drilled anytime we play a team with a spread offense and a mobile QB. Teams like Notre Dame and Michigan think that just because of the golden helmet or the block M kids will line up to play for them... and thats not the way it works anymore especially with the limited scholarships, their higher academics and a conference like the SEC who play a better style of football. Also just like Florida State (with Bobby Bowden) we have held onto our coach for way too long even though he is way past his prime. Carr was a very good coach and he has done an excellent job at keeping the program clean but he should have known when it was time for him to go. You can only go so far until the coaching catches up to you and it clearly has... just look at Ohio State who under Cooper were losing to us every year and then Tressel comes in with his famous quote "I can assure you that you'll be proud of our young people, in the classroom, in the community and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan." which basically starts the new era of OSU football. A team like Ohio State does not to get as many 5 star recruits as Michigan or Notre Dame because they have a great coach who can get his team to a BCS bowl even when they lost half their defense to the NFL. Look at Chad Henne from his freshman year to now... he is basically the same QB just like John Navarre before him and that to me is all about coaching. Lloyd will be gone after the season thats for sure but unless they hire someone like Les Miles and drastic changes are made i don't see us getting back to the top and infect we could end up being just like Nebraska... a team that wins 9 games goes to a Bowl game but is no longer considered a top 10 program.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old September 13th, 2007, 09:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

The Polls, The Polls ... The Biggest SCAM in NCAA Fotball ... They're W O R T H L E S S !!!!!

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2007, 22:12 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Michigan, Notre Dame set for unprecedented matchup in rivalry

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
September 14, 2007

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan and Notre Dame have competed for many of college football's most significant prizes for more than half a century, from national championships to Heisman Trophies.

From fight songs to helmets to stadiums, fans of the Fighting Irish and Wolverines love to claim theirs are the best in the land.

When the Wolverines (0-2) and Fighting Irish (0-2) play Saturday, the question to be answered really isn't which team is better but which is worse. :dielaugh:

For the first time since the AP started ranking teams in 1936, Michigan and Notre Dame will both be unranked when they play.

"I think beating Michigan on the road at the Big House would be a good way to flip the switch and start moving in a positive direction," Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis said. "You can't say it any better than that."

On the other side, Michigan tailback had a similar sentiment Mike Hart.

Hart guaranteed a win over Notre Dame soon after Oregon beat the Wolverines 39-7, handing them their worst loss since 1968, and a week after being upset by Appalachian State and becoming the butt of Jay Leno's jokes.

Hart will likely get a lot of chances to back up his words against a defense stacked against the run, since freshman quarterback Ryan Mallett is making his first start for Michigan.

"You have to think they're going to try to pound us and give Hart the ball a whole bunch of times," Weis said.

Hart wasn't worried about his bulletin-board material firing up Notre Dame.

"We have nothing to lose. We're 0-2," Hart said. "People are not going to expect anything out of us."

Michigan has started to earn low expectations.

Including last season's losses at Ohio State and to USC in the Rose Bowl, the Wolverines have lost four straight for the first time since 1967.

Michigan has been booed off the field at halftime in each of its first two games in its iconic venue filled with about 110,000 fans, many of whom have been attending games for decades and haven't seen their favorite team crumble like this.

Weis wouldn't mind if boos are heard at Michigan Stadium again.

"If that were to happen, I'd be most happy about that," Weis said.

The Wolverines -- who have been playing football longer than Washington has been a state -- are in danger of starting 0-3 for the first time in seven decades. They also could open a season with three straight home losses for the first time since 1928.

Offensive tackle Jake Long insisted avoiding infamy at Michigan isn't a motivating factor.

"We're not going to listen to people trying to dog us, talking about history and things like that," Long said.

If Notre Dame loses, its five-game losing streak would be the worst since the 1985-86 seasons -- Gerry Faust's last year and Lou Holtz's first. An 0-3 start would be just the second in school history, pairing Weis with Bob Davie.

Weis said the worst feeling he had as a coach was when New England lost to Green Bay in the Super Bowl -- until now.

"I've felt more miserable the last two weeks because I feel that I have the ultimate responsibility," he said. "So, our performance the last two weeks has not left me feeling very good.

"I've slept a lot less because what happens, just like anyone else that has a lot on your mind, you're thinking what am I going to do about this? What am I going to do about that?"

Weis doesn't expect either team to quit.

"There is too much pride on both teams just to throw in the towel," Weis said. "But the normal psyche of teams that are 0-2 is to be a bit fragile."

Newspapers and Web sites have picked apart both teams -- and coaches. The winless teams have provided talk shows with plenty of fodder.

Columnists have called for Michigan coach Lloyd Carr to step down and have taken shots at Weis.

"As a coach, if you can't handle that, then you won't be in this job long," said Carr, in his 13th season as head coach. "I've been in this job a long time, so it does not bother me a bit.

"But it does present for me a challenge in terms of 18-, 19-, 20-year-old kids, who can be victims of that. And yet, it's one of the great values that athletics has. You have an opportunity to deal with criticism."

Things will only get worse after the game for one team and its coach.

The winners, meanwhile, can finally start watching ESPN, reading the sports pages and listening to talk radio again.

"I watched the History Channel all last week," Hart said after falling to 0-2. "I didn't watch ESPN at all. I did watch the football game on Thursday, but I turned it at halftime because I knew they were going to talk about us."

Mallett is starting in place of Chad Henne, who was injured last week. Jimmy Clausen will become Notre Dame's first freshman to start against Michigan a week after his first career start at Penn State.

"He got touched a few times last week," Weis said. "So the first thing you were concerned with is how he'd handle it mentally and how he'd handle it physically. I've been very encouraged on both accounts, almost pleasantly surprised."

Safety Tom Zbikowski saw enough from Mallett against Oregon to come away impressed.

"He's on the goal line and he can throw it 60 yards like it was nothing," Zbikowski said. "No step up or anything. Just basically planted, threw it 60 yards."

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2007, 00:10 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Michigan makes it out of the Hole ... Notre Dame has the dubious honor of being the worst of the 2 (This Season..that is !!!!!! )

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2007, 15:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Penn State @ Michigan ... Any takers ????? :hopeful:

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2007, 16:44
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Penn State @ Michigan ... Any takers ????? :hopeful:
We've owned them... i think we have won like 8 in a row against them. And to think some idiots actually thought that Penn State was gonna dominate the Big 10 when they first joined.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2007, 19:22 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Then Its Michigan across the Way ....

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2007, 00:33
Xtratime Legend

9 in a row over PSU!!!
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2007, 20:29 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Michigan: Chad Henne -- Saturday Status Uncertain

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Thursday, September 27, 2007

Update: Henne (knee) has been medically cleared to play, but his status for Saturday's game against Northwestern remains uncertain, the Detroit Free Press reports.

Recommendation: Henne took practice snaps every day leading up to the Penn State game, but wasn't well enough to play against the Nittany Lions. Coach Lloyd Carr probably won't announce a starter before game time, but freshman Ryan Mallett is 2-0 as a starter and may get the nod against the toothless Wildcats. Carr did make it clear that the job belongs to Henne when he returns to full health, saying, "It's Chad's team."

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2007, 22:12 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Michigan 28, Northwestern 16

By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
September 29, 2007

EVANSTON, Ill. (AP) -- Michigan's revival nearly hit a snag.

Instead, Chad Henne hit Adrian Arrington with the go-ahead touchdown pass in the fourth quarter after a fumble recovery, and the Wolverines rallied to a 28-16 victory over Northwestern on Saturday.

The win was the third straight for Michigan after an 0-2 start that included a shocking upset by Appalachian State. The Wolverines (3-2, 2-0 Big Ten) appeared headed toward another upset until the momentum swung early in the fourth quarter.

It was not what they envisioned after beating then-No. 10 Penn State 14-9 last week.

Trailing 16-14, Brandon Graham stripped Northwestern quarterback C.J. Bacher and Shawn Crable scooped up the loose ball, the first of four turnovers by the Wildcats in the quarter. Michigan took over on the Wildcats' 16 and, three plays later, Henne found Arrington for a 16-yard touchdown, giving Michigan a 21-16 lead with 9:53 left .

Mike Hart added a 1-yard scoring run with 4:31 left after Obi Ezeh picked off a deflected pass.

Henne, wearing a brace on his right knee, started after missing the previous two games and was 18-of-27 with 193 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. He led the Wolverines to a touchdown on their first possession, spent the rest of the half on the sideline, but started the third quarter.

Ryan Mallett was 5-for-11 with 67 yards before giving way to Henne again.

Hart, who needed 138 yards to tie the school's all-time rushing record, finished with 106 after managing just 30 in the first half. Mario Manningham caught 10 passes for 123 yards and a touchdown, and Arrington added seven catches for 90 yards.

The loss was the third straight for Northwestern (2-3, 0-2), which was coming off a 58-7 rout at Ohio State. That followed a 20-14 loss at home to a Duke team that had lost 22 straight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in