Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Cowboys NEW home for 2009

2011 Super Bowl goes to Cowboys' new stadium

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer
May 22, 2007

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Seats matter.

The 2011 Super Bowl will be played at the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington, Texas, where more than 100,000 :embarass: fans will be able to watch the NFL's showpiece game.

NFL owners voted Tuesday for the North Texas group, which had Hall of Famer Roger Staubach lobbying on its behalf. The Cowboys' $1 billion stadium will open in 2009 and will have about 27,000 more seats than those in Indianapolis or Arizona -- the other finalists.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the actual crowd ticketed at the game could reach 120,000, with fans being able to watch video screens at each end zone.

"Everyone has always told me, 'I wish we could get more fans in the Super Bowl. I wish we could do that,"' he said. "I think the fact we can have 100,000 people in the stadium is important because it includes that many more people in our biggest event in the NFL."

NFL owners also reviewed recommended standards concerning concussions during their one-day, spring meeting. Medical decisions will override whether a team needs a player to play and also would include whistleblower protection for reporting when a doctor is pressured to clear a player.

"Medical considerations must always have priority over competitive situations," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

The Indianapolis bid featured the Colts' domed stadium opening in 2008 and was backed by a Top 10 list by David Letterman with a presentation by Colts coach Tony Dungy. Arizona hosts the 2008 Super Bowl on Feb. 3 and hosted the 1996 Super Bowl in Tempe.

Tampa, Fla., hosts in 2009, followed by a return to South Florida in 2010. Texas has hosted the Super Bowl twice -- in Houston in 2004 in the Texans' new stadium and in 1974 at Rice Stadium.

Jones said the vote went to a fourth ballot, when the winner needs only a majority.

"I think every other aspect of our bid candidly was stronger than Dallas' but for the size of the stadium," said Fred Glass, president of Indianapolis' bid committee. "So based on that, that's the only thing I can think of that was the deciding piece."

Indianapolis also lost to Minneapolis in bidding for the 1992 game, and Colts president Bill Polian said owners told him and team owner Jim Irsay that Indy should bid again.

"I don't think those were idle words of consolation," Polian said. "They were true feelings. The committee did as good a job as anyone could possibly do. We just came up a little short."

Indianapolis came in with a strong bid, apparently overcoming winter weather with its downtown walkways. The committee also came in with $25 million already committed to help pay the costs associated with hosting the game.

Dungy helped tout the city's experience hosting big events like Final Fours, the Indianapolis 500 and Brickyard 400 with track president Tony George on hand. Letterman's Top 10 was capped by No. 1: His mom's tailgate party.

Staubach countered with Texas' long football history, especially his 2-2 record as a player in Super Bowls. Temperatures can be chilly in February in Arlington, but the Cowboys' new stadium will have a sliding roof that can protect fans.

"We're going to work real hard to live up to the responsibility we have of winning this bid to make it the best Super Bowl that's taken place in 45 years," said Staubach, chairman of the bid committee. "We're thrilled about it."

Arizona didn't tap any big names in making its bid to become a part of the Super Bowl rotation like Miami, which hosted the game in February and is on tap for 2010. Mike Kennedy, chairman of the Arizona Super Bowl host committee, said visitors can enjoy the weather.

"Arizona is the best Super Bowl venue in the United States year in and year out," he said.

Unfortunately, Arizona's bid may have been hampered more by staff problems for the game in February and asking the NFL to pay for improvements to a stadium that opened last August.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2007, 12:34 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Cowboys' Williams fined for another "horse-collar' tackle

October 12, 2007

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams has been fined for the second time this season for a "horse-collar" tackle.

The NFL fined Williams $15,000 for a tackle against running back Marshawn Lynch in Monday night's game at Buffalo. Williams drew a penalty on the play, but the flag was for an incidental facemask and not the tackle.

After a similar tackle against Chicago tight end Desmond Clark last month, Williams was fined $12,500.

Cornerback Terence Newman was fined $5,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit against Lynch on the same play for which Williams was penalized.

In 2005, the NFL outlawed "horse-collar" tackles, when a defender grabs the back inside of an opponent's shoulder pads and yanks the player down.

Terrell Owens, then playing for Philadelphia, tore two ankle ligaments and broke his leg after being dragged down by Williams in a game in 2004. That was one of the plays that led the technique being outlawed.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2007, 21:07 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

T.O. to Jessica Simpson: Back off our quarterback

December 19, 2007

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Terrell Owens has a message for Jessica Simpson: Stay away.

Simpson has become Public Enemy No. 1 among Dallas Cowboys fans because of a link being made between her appearance at Sunday's game and the poor performance of her new boyfriend, quarterback Tony Romo.

"Right now, Jessica Simpson is not a fan favorite -- in this locker room or in Texas Stadium," Owens said Wednesday.

The Cowboys lost 10-6 to the Philadelphia Eagles and Romo had what was statistically the worst game of his career, all while Simpson sat in a luxury box wearing a pink No. 9 jersey she proudly showed off for television cameras.

The problem for her is, Romo's previous worst game came last December at home to the Eagles when then-girlfriend Carrie Underwood was in attendance.

"With everything that has happened, obviously with the way Tony played and the comparison between her and Carrie Underwood, I think a lot of people feel she has taken his focus away," Owens said, echoing the chatter on sports-talk radio and blogs. "Other than that, she was high on my list until last week.

"Oh, I got a message for her when we make the playoffs. Just stay tuned."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2007, 21:34
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
The media is really diggin deep dwn to bring T.O. and the 'Boys down.

R.I.P Ari
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2007, 20:13
outcast
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy
The media is really diggin deep dwn to bring T.O. and the 'Boys down.
Diggin' deep for T.O.? Hardly. He doesn't need any help to make fool of himself.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2007, 21:11
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
11 pro-bowlers for the 'Boys, 8 for the Pats The media's maaaad. Their darlings the Patriots are undefeated and have been shoved down our throats all year. Still, America's Team gets the most Pro Bowlers

R.I.P Ari
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2007, 00:06
outcast
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy
11 pro-bowlers for the 'Boys, 8 for the Pats The media's maaaad. Their darlings the Patriots are undefeated and have been shoved down our throats all year. Still, America's Team gets the most Pro Bowlers
My tip as NFC champion are the Bucs. (No Pro Bowler) So, they will have fun at Super Bowl, and da boyz will play only in Hawai. Enjoy it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2007, 00:48 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Mmmm I like the prediction ...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2007, 15:14 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Owens, Newman among Cowboys inactive for regular-season finale

Associated Press

Updated: December 28, 2007

IRVING, Texas -- Wide receiver Terrell Owens and cornerback Terence Newman were among four Dallas starters declared inactive Friday for the Cowboys' final regular-season game at Washington.

Backup safety Patrick Watkins (ankle) will also sit out the mostly meaningless game for Cowboys, who have clinched home-field advantage in the NFC playoffs.

Wide receiver Terry Glenn, whose has missed every game this season with a right knee injury, was listed as probable.

Center Andre Gurode (knee) and nose tackle Jay Ratliff (knee) are inactive along with Owens (ankle) and Newman (knee). Owens has not practiced this week as Dallas wants to rest his sprained ankle before its first playoff game.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2008, 11:09 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

The MEXICANS are comminnn................

Romo's Mexico trip overblown

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
January 11, 2008

A dude named Romo was playing the ninth hole at a Dallas-area golf course when I caught up to him by cell phone Thursday afternoon. Upon being asked about the distractions facing the Dallas Cowboys before Sunday's divisional-round playoff game against the New York Giants, he immediately started laughing.

"All this stuff people talk about, it's kind of just – I don't know how else to put it – media driven," Romo said between practice swings with his seven-iron. "It's designed to sell papers and get hits on the Internet, but it doesn't mean a thing. At the end of the day, it's about what you do on the field."

Before you go bemoaning this seemingly cavalier approach to preparation by the Dallas quarterback, realize that this was Ramiro Romo, the man who, some tabloids and gossipy websites would have you believe, will be Jessica Simpson's future father-in-law. Son Tony was still at the Cowboys' facility in Valley Ranch, getting ready for the biggest game of his young life.

Trust me, the younger Romo is a lot less stressed about whether he'll rise to the occasion than most observers. From listening to some of the ominous comments critiquing the Pro Bowl quarterback's quick getaway last week with teammates and a certain high-profile celebrity, you'd have thought he fled to Mexico with O.J. Simpson.

If you're waiting for a harsh rebuke of Jess and Tony's excellente Los Cabos adventure, you had best look elsewhere. I've covered enough football to know that winning quarterbacks and hot chicks go together like armchair QBs and cold beers. For example, it didn't seem to hurt Tom Brady's focus a year ago when he led the Patriots to a fourth-quarter comeback victory in San Diego with supermodel Gisele as his guest. Even more, had Romo just gone to Mexico with his parents, this would be a non-issue.

Ultimately, anyone who has spent time around Romo understands that he'll be about as rattled by his south-of-the-border escape as he was when he threw five interceptions in Buffalo last September and still managed to pull out a come-from-behind, last-second triumph over the Bills.

And if you're wondering whether all this talk of Simpson as a distraction has, in and of itself, evolved into a distraction, rest assured that Romo won't be fazed by the hoopla, either. But don't take it from me; take it from the man who has watched him thrive under pressure at all levels, ascending from scrub duty as an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Illinois to become the aw-shucks face of America's Team.

"Tony's pretty comfortable in his own skin," Ramiro Romo says. "He's never worried about what other people perceive him to be or what they think is happening in his life. He knows the truth. And trust me, he'll be focused when he steps on that field."

Of course, focus doesn't guarantee that Romo will play well – or that he'll lead the Cowboys, the top seed in the NFC, to their first postseason victory since the 1996 season. Should the Giants pull the upset, Romo will take the fall, whether he deserves it or not.

Never mind that there have been plenty of other distractions at Valley Ranch in the 12 days since the Cowboys officially entered postseason mode.

Last week, assistant coaches Jason Garrett and Tony Sparano each hit the road to interview for NFL head coaching opportunities. Depending upon whether you believe media reports, Sparano may already be the clandestine coach of the Miami Dolphins. Garrett, the team's first-year offensive coordinator, is so hot that there has been media speculation Dallas owner Jerry Jones would consider firing coach Wade Phillips and putting Garrett in charge to avoid losing him – especially if the Cowboys lose. Jones did his best to squash that notion Thursday.

Then there is Terrell Owens' ankle injury and the suspense about whether the star wideout will be limited in Sunday's game or, even worse, unable to play at all.

When T.O. is reduced to sidebar status, you know the circus is in town.

As for Romo dealing with distractions and hurdles, he's been down this road before. He was in the process of leading Dallas to a dramatic playoff victory over the Seahawks on a rainy night in Seattle last year when the fairy tale took a slippery turn: Romo, still the holder for field goals (a remnant of his days as the backup), let a snap squirt through his hands, depriving the Cowboys of a potential game-winning kick with just over a minute remaining.

Romo nearly redeemed himself, picking up the ball and racing forward but falling just inches short of a first down and a couple of yards shy of the end zone. It was one of the more infamous gaffes in NFL playoff history, and many people wondered if the kid would recover.

The answer: He was even better in '07, completing 64.4 percent of his passes for 4,211 yards, with 36 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. In late October he agreed to a reported six-year, $67.5-million contract extension.

When Ramiro thinks back on his son's special season, he recalls so many stirring snapshots: the season opener, when Tony shook off all the doubts from the playoff defeat and threw for 345 yards in a 45-35 victory over the Giants; the big victories on the road, including the crazy one in Buffalo; the spectacular play against the Rams on which Romo ran back to recover a snap that had flown over his head, fielded it 33 yards behind the line of scrimmage and sprinted forward for a four-yard gain and a first down.

There was also a private moment the Romos shared with their son as they dined together the night before the Nov. 29 game against Brett Favre and the Packers that essentially determined home-field advantage in the NFC.

"We were really nervous, and his mother and I tried not to let on as to how nervous we were," Ramiro recalls. "But Tony just had this calm about him; it was almost eerie. And after the game (a 37-27 Dallas victory), she and I said to one another, 'He knew.'"

Earlier this week, Ramiro found out something even more fulfilling. Diagnosed in September with prostate cancer at the age of 50, Ramiro underwent surgery two months later and waited to hear from doctors what the next course of treatment would be. On Tuesday, he says, "I just got news that I'm cancer free. No radiation, no chemotherapy. It's a blessing."

Now ask yourself this question: What's more distracting to an athlete – a parent battling cancer or a couple of days by the pool with a singer and actress?

Here's how I look at it: The quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys just learned that his dad is going to be OK. Come Sunday, whatever goes down and whoever's passing judgment, the younger Romo will be just fine.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2009, 22:31 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Country music stars open $1.15 billion stadium

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
Jun 7, 2009

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP)—George Strait and Reba McEntire are two of the biggest names in country music. Yet in their first gig together “since we were opening shows for Conway Twitty many, many moons ago,” they still played second fiddle to the real star of the show: the venue, the $1.15 billion Cowboys Stadium.

“Whoo! I am so honored to be here, I can’t even tell you how much,” Strait told a crowd of 60,188. “I mean, I can say I’ve done a lot of things in my career and had a lot of fun. This is right up there at the top of anything I’ve ever done before because I’m such a big Dallas Cowboys fan. …

“What a night.”

It was special enough that former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson came—and sat right next to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

ADVERTISEMENT

While the friends-turned-adversaries have patched up their differences, they rarely pal around. When they were shown on TV screens during the intermission between McEntire and Strait, it took about 30 seconds for people to notice and realize what they were seeing. Once it clicked, cheers followed.

The biggest cheers came about a half-hour into Strait’s act.

“Isn’t this roof supposed to open?” he said. “We want it open, don’t we?”

He then asked the crowd to chant, “Jerry, open the roof!” With thousands of camera flashes going off, the retractable roof peeled back for the first time as Strait played, “(If It Wasn’t For) Texas.” He got in two more songs by the time the 12-minute retraction was finished.

It’s not a complete open-air top. Instead, it evokes the “hole in the roof” of Texas Stadium, the team’s previous home.

This was the first official event at a building so spectacular that it’s already lured a Super Bowl, a Final Four, the NBA All-Star game and other major sports and entertainment events—in addition, of course, to its main tenant, the Cowboys.

One step inside and it’s easy to see why so many events want to be held here, and why the price nearly doubled the initial projection of $650 million.

The most stunning feature is the center-hung, overhead video board. It’s the world largest high-definition TV screen and there are actually two, one for each side, plus smaller boards on the ends. There’s also the retractable roof and ground-to-ceiling glass doors behind both end zones that open and shut almost like sliding patio doors.

The wide, polished main concourse feels more like a fancy club, with gleaming floors and fancy glass. Some bars had the ambiance of a night club.

There were long lines for souvenirs, food and drink, despite prices such as $30 T-shirts, $13 barbecue Kobe beef burgers and $5 bottles of water. (No wonder the next-longest lines were at the ATM machines.)

The stadium is located next to the Texas Rangers’ home field. Arlington taxpayers paid $325 million and Jones picked up the rest of the tab. For football, it can hold up to 100,000.

Julianne Hough was supposed to have the opening-act honors, but she was sick. Lee Ann Womack took her place. Blake Shelton was next, and he walked on stage holding up a can of beer.

“We’re the luckiest people in the United States of America,” Shelton said. “We get to watch the king and queen of country music in this place tonight. And it just so happens to be in the grand opening of the new Cowboys Stadium. I’ll drink to that.”

Jones wanted a big-time headliner and Strait certainly fit the bill; only Elvis Presley and The Beatles have sold more albums, and neither of them were available. McEntire was billed as a “special guest,” and she’s special to Jones because she was the first performer in their now-annual Thanksgiving halftime concert benefiting the Salvation Army.

There were a few glitches, of course. The first words spoken were “Welcome to Texas Stadium!” And Strait and McEntire each hollered, “Hello, Dallas!” a cringe-worthy line for Arlington leaders (and taxpayers). Shelton took a dig at the traffic and parking.

“I didn’t know if we were going to make it here on time or not,” he said.

Still, it was one heck of a kickoff.

“This has been an incredible night,” Jones said. “It is everything we dreamed and more. After almost 10 years of working toward this day, it has been a joy to see the reaction of everyone coming through the doors. … The crowd has just been electric and we are all feeding off that energy.”

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2009, 23:05
Tim
Xtratime Legend

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2009, 10:56 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Tampa Bay awaits for the Cowboys...opening on the road this Season !!!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2009, 10:04 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

105,121 watch Cowboys lose on final play

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in