Barry Bonds Goes for the Record - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 127 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2007, 22:09 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Barry Bonds Goes for the Record

Barry Bonds currently had 737 home runs, 18 home runs behind Hank Aaron who has the league's record at 755

Hank Aaron himself says he will not be in the stadium when Bonds potentially can break his record and comissioner Bud Selig has still yet to make up his mind whether he will be with Bonds at the time

Well it seriously looks like the record will be broken :rollani: I have zero respect for Bonds, hope they put a * next to the record
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2007, 15:28
Xtratime Legend

Why is he even playing still? didn't he say winning a tittle mattered to him? if that was the case then as a FA he would have signed with some team that actually had a shot at the tittle but that was all a bunch of BS and all he cares about is Barry and only Barry, thats why the man has a leather recliner and TV infront of his locker. I just hope he breaks the record in Philly so everyone boes the hell out of him and someone throws the ball back on the field...
post #3 of 127 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2007, 16:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

last year I went to a Giants game at Shea (but he went 3 for 4 ) and out of no where the whole stadium started chanting "Lets go Steroids!"

They come to Shea late May, and of course all three games will probably be on ESPN with Joe Morgan kissing his ass p

post #4 of 127 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2007, 17:03
Xtratime Legend

Bonds hits 750th home run in loss
http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=212282&hubname=

Quote:
The home run came an inning after a fan gave everybody a scare when he hopped the fence and ran out to Bonds in left field. The seven-time NL MVP calmly greeted the man and walked him off and into the custody of security personnel.

The fan came out over the short fence along the left-field line and scurried to Bonds while Orlando Hudson was batting. Bonds didn't flinch, putting his arm around the man and walking him off the field - and fans began chants of "Barry! Barry!"

"He just wanted to shake my hand," Bonds told MLB.com while quickly leaving the ballpark. "I told him to come with me so he didn't get into any more trouble."
Probably a set up to make him look nice.

Only 5 away and i will be glad when its all over with so ESPN and Fox don't have to cut into the Giants games every time he comes to bat.
post #5 of 127 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2007, 17:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

yeah thats annoying, one of our sports talk hosts in NYC is a Giants fans and he says as soon as Bonds breaks the record and when the season ends, get rid of him and try to sign A-Rod.

And the guy did get in trouble anyway, he got fined and had to spend a day in jail p
post #6 of 127 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2007, 05:35
Legend

Teams: BIH, FK VELEZ, MANCHESTER UNITED, TSG HOFFENHEIM
Bonds is a steroid up piece of shit that doesnt deserve to break any record much less the one being held by the legendary Hank Aaron who is a class act .

1974-75 UEFA CUP
1.RD Velez Mostar-Spartak Moscow 2:0 1:3
2.RD Velez Mostar-Rapid Wien 1:0 1:1
3.RD Velez Mostar-Derby County 4:1 1:3

1987-88 UEFA CUP
1.RD Velez Mostar-Sion 5:0 0:3
2.RD Velez Mostar-Borussia Dortmund 2:1 0:2

1988-89 UEFA CUP
1.RD Velez Mostar-APOEL 1:0 5:2
2.RDVelez Mostar-Belenenses0:0 0:0(4:3 pk's)

Osvajaci Kupa Marsala Tita-Kup Jugoslavije 1981,1986
post #7 of 127 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2007, 02:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

he won't participate in the home run derby, oh well, pretty weak lineup with the derby, A-Rod refusing, Wright refusing because it messes up their form for the rest of the season
post #8 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 03:04
Flo
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica, Liverpool, & AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VELEZ1922
Bonds is a steroid up piece of shit that doesnt deserve to break any record much less the one being held by the legendary Hank Aaron who is a class act .

Someone is ignorant.

Yeah, he's only great because he's been on roids his whole life. :rollani:

Lame argument.
post #9 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 03:18
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano, FC Rangers
I consider Maris to be the single season homerun champion. He's worthless. A cheat.

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER GIACINTO FACCHETTI, LEGEND OF THE INTERNAZIONALE AND ITALIAN GAME
post #10 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 03:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I won't question Barry's talent, because even when he was a skinny guy with the Pirates he was a good player....but steroids have helped him later in his career and he does not look anything like how he looked in his Pirates days

One thing what I don't get though, yes people hate him but when he comes to your stadium, its always a sell out, and I have to admit I am a victim of that too
post #11 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 05:22
Flo
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Facchetti
I consider Maris to be the single season homerun champion. He's worthless. A cheat.

Well if you think that, then you better think that of Griffey, Clemens, hell probably A-Rod, and the list goes on. You guys want to make him the poster boy for it feel free but it's and MLB wide problem. He just happens to be taking one for the team. Why do you think his fellow pros respect him? In that inner circle they know that he's taking the heat for it. It's bullshit in my opinion.
post #12 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 05:28
Flo
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
I won't question Barry's talent, because even when he was a skinny guy with the Pirates he was a good player....but steroids have helped him later in his career and he does not look anything like how he looked in his Pirates days
Neither does Griffey when he was with the Mariners. Nor Tony Gwynn. Any basebally player gets bigger when they get older. Doesn't mean they're all roided out or that's the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
One thing what I don't get though, yes people hate him but when he comes to your stadium, its always a sell out, and I have to admit I am a victim of that too
Well him and the our ballpark. It's the best one in the Majors. The view, the architecture, the layout, where it's located. You should check it out or better yet pay close attention to McCovey Cove tomorrow night. They're going to show the stadium alot. It's fricken gorgeous.

Yes, when he's away he still fills places. Why? Cause he hits bombs and that's what people want to see. Maybe he cheated, maybe he didn't but he's arguably one of the best players of all time. He's shown that throughout his career. His fielding skills have deteriorated but he has won many gold gloves for a reason. He used to have a cannon for an arm.
post #13 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 05:50
Legend

Its not just the obvious steroid use its also that the guy is an arrogant asshole,and Flo since you are obviously a Giants fan of course your going to defend him,Im sure if you were a Mets fan or a Phillies fan you would hate his guts.Outside of SF everybody hates him and for a good reason.There should be an asterisk next to any record he breaks.

1974-75 UEFA CUP

1987-88 UEFA CUP

1988-89 UEFA CUP

post #14 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 05:51
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
Well if you think that, then you better think that of Griffey, Clemens, hell probably A-Rod, and the list goes on. You guys want to make him the poster boy for it feel free but it's and MLB wide problem. He just happens to be taking one for the team. Why do you think his fellow pros respect him? In that inner circle they know that he's taking the heat for it. It's bullshit in my opinion.
Griffey and A-Rod are clean IMO (Griffey had that great swing and was never really turned into a Hulk like figure) but Clemens is big question mark along with Giambi, Sosa, McGwire, Gonzalez etc... your right about him taking the heat for everyone but he testified to a grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring. Plus you can't tell me the guy is clean when his head is twice the size it used to be. Bonds was always a great player and he would make the hall of fame no matter if he took steroids or not but i doubt it very much that he would have broken Hank Aaron's all time HR record if he didn't take anything (he was a good HR hitter but never on pace to shatter the all time record until he started hitting 70+ home runs). The only person who is clean and would have had a chance at that record was Griffey and now A-Rod other then that its hard to say cause even Pujols to me looks like he has been on something and i can't really trust this Howard dude who just exploded last year for the Phillies. Also remember Luis Gonzalez in 2001 when he hit 57 homers? before that he had barely hit 20-30 a year and then he just explodes with over 50... since then his numbers have declined and this year he has only 10. The problem with this whole thing is that steroids were not banned from baseball back in the days (even andro was legal back when McGwire was taking it, but now its banned) so even if someone admitted to taking them how do you punish them for something that was not even banned from the game? in many peoples minds Barry, McGwire, Sosa and some of these other guys will always have an * next to their record because what they did was done during the steroid era.
post #15 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 05:54
Legend

I think that Griffey is clean and I would have no problem if Griffey was the one breaking the HR record.He is actually my favorite non Braves player.

1974-75 UEFA CUP

1987-88 UEFA CUP

1988-89 UEFA CUP

post #16 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 05:57
Legend

The Schilling comment on Bonds was priceless,cheating the game,taxes, his wife .Probably all true.

1974-75 UEFA CUP

1987-88 UEFA CUP

1988-89 UEFA CUP

post #17 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 06:02
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo
Neither does Griffey when he was with the Mariners. Nor Tony Gwynn. Any basebally player gets bigger when they get older. Doesn't mean they're all roided out or that's the reason.
Tony Gwynn was just fat while Griffey has never really looked that big to me, sure he might have a bit more muscles but his head never grew.

Thats a big difference of "before & after" and hard for people to believe he just did it by taking vitamins and working out.

http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesrc/griffeytt.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/media/mlb/.../a_griffey.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2001/05..._griffey_i.jpg

Not much of a difference in Griffey...
post #18 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 06:33
Flo
Legend

Quote:
Its not just the obvious steroid use its also that the guy is an arrogant asshole,and Flo since you are obviously a Giants fan of course your going to defend him,Im sure if you were a Mets fan or a Phillies fan you would hate his guts.Outside of SF everybody hates him and for a good reason.There should be an asterisk next to any record he breaks.

I loved the guy when he was a Pirate as well. Why? Cause he's a bay area native. That's why. And you know what? He has made and continues to make Bud Selig and all his cronies alot of money and these bastards don't stick up for him or do anything. Fricken pricks that run the game are just useless.

As for being an arrogant asshole, maybe you don't like him as a person which is fair but he's still one of the most talented players of our generation with or without the roids and that's the bottom line. And you know what else, if he was playing in Philly, New York, Kansas City, etc...Those fans would embrace his ass really quick. See Terrell Owens if you need a refresher on assholes being embraced by their new fans.
post #19 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 06:35
Flo
Legend

Quote:
I think that Griffey is clean and I would have no problem if Griffey was the one breaking the HR record.He is actually my favorite non Braves player.
You think but do you know?

Speaking of Braves, Andruw Jones' has quietly cooled hasn't he? :rollani:
post #20 of 127 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 06:41
Legend

Andruw is really struggling but he never really hit for average anyway.Hes always been around .260-.280 .He is most likely leaving after this yr anyway. I wouldnt mind seeing him back but for a lot less then he wants,Hunter would be a good replacement though.

1974-75 UEFA CUP

1987-88 UEFA CUP

1988-89 UEFA CUP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in