Los Angeles Dodgers Official Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2007, 01:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & Spain
Los Angeles Dodgers Official Thread

Ilgenio and myself should keep this thread alive and kicking

I dont know how i feel about this season. On one hand our starting rotation got a huge boost with Shmidt and Wolf added to Lowe, Penny and Kuo/Tomko/Bellingsley but then that backstabbing SOB JD Drew bolted out of his already overpaying contract and it leaves us with a weaker offense. Luis Gonzalez, Juan Pierre have been added but none of them are 30+ homer guys that the team desperately needs. All hopes are on youngsters Ethier, Loney, La Roche and Kemp to step it up.

Bullpen is awesome as it always has been but it still hurts to see Gagne not there Catcher position is also in good shape with Russel Martin being backed up with verteran Mike Librethal :thmbup:

Lineup:
Pierre CF
Furcal SS
Garciaparra 1B
Kent 2B
Betemit/La Roche 3B
Gonzo LF
Ethier RF
Martin C

Expectations: NL West winners again but falling short in the playoffs :frustrat:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2007, 21:44
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Stuck 2 !!! Now...show me some action guys !!!!

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2007, 21:47
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I think I'm the only pirtate fan that exist!

"To go down as the greatest, it will take lots of work but that is my target. If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

CRISTIANO RONALDO

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2007, 21:55
Xtratime Elite

Open a thread of your fav team and I will stick it too !!!!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2007, 21:57
Che
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Open a thread of your fav team and I will stick it too !!!!

no one would care, not even the lone pirate fan

"To go down as the greatest, it will take lots of work but that is my target. If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

CRISTIANO RONALDO
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2007, 11:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & Spain
swept the scum giants in sf
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2007, 21:50
Xtratime Elite

Little resigns, paving the way for Torre

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer

October 31st, 2007

LOS ANGELES - Joe Torre is clearly the leading candidate to become the Los Angeles Dodgers' next manager, but general manager Ned Colletti said Wednesday that contrary to published reports, a deal hadn't been struck.

Colletti did acknowledge he's had contact with the former New York Yankees manager, but said Torre might not be the only candidate for the job that became vacant Tuesday when Grady Little resigned.

"We have interest. It may be mutual, that's really a question for the other side," Colletti said. "We've had some conversations with him very recently. We do not have an agreement. We've got other people we've got under consideration. We're in the process of compiling a list. Once we get a list, we'll go from there. We're taking it day by day."

Soon after Little resigned Tuesday, published reports said Torre and the Dodgers had already reached a deal, some claiming he had agreed in principle to a three-year contract worth $14.5 million.

"I've watched stuff in the last 72 hours that I can't believe I'm watching," Colletti said. "I can tell you we do not have an agreement. I've seen more inaccuracy than I can ever remember."

Still, it seems a job once held by Hall of Famers Walter Alston and Tom Lasorda will soon be filled by another big winner: Torre.

"I'm not going to get into where the negotiations are," Colletti said. "It's still early in the process in some ways."

When asked if the parties were close, Colletti replied: "I don't categorize anything as close, far. It's either done or it's not done."

Torre's agent, Maury Gostfrand, has declined to comment.

While Colletti offered no timetable, he said he'd like to have a new manager in place as soon as possible.

"Anything's possible," he said.

Torre and his former bench coach, Don Mattingly, have discussed the possibility of joining the Dodgers together, according to a person with knowledge of those talks. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the manager's position in Los Angeles was vacant.

"We don't have a coaching staff in mind, we haven't gotten there," Colletti said. "We've discussed it to some extent. I think whoever the manager is, there will have to be a comfort level on his part and my part."

Colletti said he was aware of baseball's rule regarding minorities being interviewed for managerial jobs.

"We're taking it into consideration. We'll see how things go," he said. "I'd rather look at what we've done. What we've done speaks well. I think it's pretty indicative of a thorough thought process."

Colletti acknowledged that the buzz surrounding Torre might cause other potential candidates to decline to be interviewed.

"That's certainly a factor," Colletti said. "I believe it will play a role."

The 57-year-old Little stepped down with a year remaining on his contract in a move he said he considered for some time. First, he called it "a mutual resignation." Later, he said it was his choice to leave.

"I've got my own personal reasons. There's a lot of belief I've been dealt an injustice here. That couldn't be further from the truth," Little said. "My plans? To play with my grandkids."

When asked if reports that the Dodgers were speaking with Torre influenced his decision, Little replied firmly: "No."

The 67-year-old Torre, who managed the Yankees to four World Series titles and 12 playoff appearances in 12 seasons, completed a $19.2 million, three-year contract this year. He ranks eighth on baseball's career list with 2,067 victories and has won a record 76 postseason games.

On Oct. 18, Torre rejected a $5 million, one-year offer from the Yankees with an additional $3 million in performance bonuses.

Colletti said he sensed Little was leaning toward stepping down, so he began discussing the job recently with potential replacements. One of those candidates, the GM acknowledged, was Joe Girardi, hired by the Yankees as Torre's successor earlier Tuesday.

Colletti said Wednesday he first spoke with Torre in the past few days.

The Dodgers entered this season as the clear-cut favorite to win the NL West. They had the league's best record in mid-July, but lost 11 of their last 14 games to fade out of contention, finishing at 82-80.

Little managed the Boston Red Sox from 2002-03 before he was fired despite winning more than 90 games each season.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2007, 22:21
Star Player

Teams: Raith Rovers and Arsenal
This is a done deal, Torre will be in charge at Dodger Stadium within days.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2007, 14:01
Star Player

Teams: Raith Rovers and Arsenal
LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers made it official on Thursday, hiring future Hall of Fame manager Joe Torre to replace Grady Little, who resigned on Tuesday.
Why Joe Torre?

"Why not Joe Torre?" replied general manager Ned Colletti. "Joe Torre comes with a great resume. What he's done the last 12 years is as powerful as any manager in recent memory. Not only the won-loss record, the championships, how his teams have played, his effect on a community the size of New York, the way he embraces the job, the way the players respond to him, the success they have. It's tough to find any cracks in the foundation with that."

OK, Colletti initially pursued Joe Girardi when he realized that a burned-out Little had doubts about returning for 2008. But when Girardi chose instead to replace Torre with the Yankees, it was no surprise that Colletti, a general manager who treasures the advice of baseball sage Don Zimmer, would wind up hiring the manager that Zimmer is most closely linked.

Torre, who left the Yankees earlier this month after a run of 12 consecutive years in the playoffs and four World Series titles, agreed to a three-year contract believed to be worth around $13 million. Torre was not on the conference call announcing the hiring and will be introduced at a Dodger Stadium press conference on Monday.

With a salary higher by multiples than any Dodgers manager in history, Torre will be charged with fulfilling owner Frank McCourt's promise to fans of championship baseball, which the franchise hasn't enjoyed since 1988.

"Having grown up in Brooklyn, I have a great understanding of the history of the Dodger organization and I am committed to bringing a world championship back to Los Angeles," Torre said in a release. "I consider it an honor to be a part of this organization, which is one of the most storied franchises in all of sports."

He is expected to bring former Yankees coaches Don Mattingly, Larry Bowa and possibly Lee Mazzilli with him. First-base coach Mariano Duncan and pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, holdovers from Little's staff, might be retained. Colletti said the staff hasn't been finalized, but acknowledged that with Torre's age (67), the ideal situation would be to "groom somebody under Joe's direction, much like Tommy [Lasorda] was under Walter [Alston]. That was a key component to it." Presumably, that somebody is Mattingly, although Colletti said such a decision was premature.

Meanwhile, at a time when the Los Angeles sports scene is hungry for a superstar, Torre provides the Dodgers instant credibility that could facilitate the recruitment of better players, such as free agent and former Yankee Alex Rodriguez, who could fill holes at third base and in the middle of a power-starved batting order.

"We'll meet as a group and discuss not only Alex Rodriguez, but everybody out there who's a free agent as well as different trade scenarios we've got," said Colletti, who leaves next week for the General Manager Meetings.

Colletti said in the last week he met with Torre face to face, as did club owners Frank and Jamie McCourt. If Dodgers management had concerns whether the 67-year-old Torre had enough left in the tank after his departure from the Yankees (rejecting a one-year deal for $5 million plus incentives), Torre put them to rest.

"From the very get-go I looked at him and said, 'Do you really want to get back into something this?' and he looked back at me and said, 'There's no doubt in my mind what I want to do and where I want to do it,'" said Colletti. "He likes the challenge, the chance to take a club that hasn't been to the World Series since 1988 and to do something about that. I don't have any doubt about his appetite. He's up for the challenge He left me no doubt."

Colletti said he was not concerned about Torre returning to the fast pace of National League managing or his coming from a veteran club like the Yankees to a Dodgers team in the midst of a youth movement, citing Torre's early years in New York when Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Bernie Williams were part of a youth movement.

"He's managed young players before, no doubt he can and he has," he said. "He gave me no indication he has any concerns about the type of club this is currently, knowing it has not reached its full potential."

Colletti said Torre will have the same input in player personnel matters that Little had, something Torre apparently did not have in his final years with the Yankees. Little often said that Colletti consulted him on all player moves.

"No player decision will be made without me talking and discussing [it] with the manager," Colletti said. "I did it with Grady every step of the way and I'll do it with Joe."

Torre inherits an imperfect roster coming off a fourth-place finish and a clubhouse divided. Little was assessed much of the blame for the split between young and old players. While that situation could heal itself to a certain extent as some of the unhappy veterans have already declared for free agency, Torre has enjoyed widespread respect from his players over the years and Dodgers officials are confident his presence will preclude a repeat of last year's turmoil.

"He gets the most out of players and has them understand the value of the team and not the individual," said Colletti. "The manager has a lot to do with keeping that in tune. When you have the resume and you see how he's done it, with almost a calmness he's able to do it in difficult situations, the success, the response of the players and the comments you read, you know you're getting a quality human being and somebody that's there a tremendous amount of respect for.

"The success he's had, coupled with the demeanor he carries and the ability to relate to all of the players. You can tell the mind-set of a team by how it plays and a few years ago when the Yankees took the field to stretch, there was a certain air and professionalism that said, we're the Yankees. That starts with the manager and the players have to believe in it. It's the way players respond to him and the success and who he is."

Torre has managed 27 years for four Major League teams, the last dozen years with the Yankees. He didn't reach the World Series until he managed the Yankees and won four world championships there, but none since 2000. The Yankees finished second in the AL East in 2007 for the first time since 1997.

Torre was Manager of the Year in 1996 and 1998. He previously managed the Braves, Mets and Cardinals. His overall winning percentage is .539, but his win percentage excluding the Yankees years was .470 and those teams finished first once in 15 seasons.

Following Jim Tracy and Little, Torre will be the third manager for the Dodgers since McCourt purchased the club less than four years ago. He's the Dodgers' sixth manager in the last 10 years (Bill Russell, Glenn Hoffman and Davey Johnson are the others), eighth since the club came to Los Angeles and 26th in franchise history.

As a player, Torre was a nine-time All-Star, former Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner (1965) and National League Most Valuable Player (1971). He hit .297 with 252 career home runs and 1,185 RBIs in 2,209 games as a catcher, third baseman and first baseman for the Braves, Cardinals and Mets. His 1971 MVP campaign included a career-high .363 batting average, 230 hits, 137 RBIs and 352 total bases.

"Joe Torre is one of the most respected men in the game of baseball," said Frank McCourt in a release. "As a player, a broadcaster, a manager and in his life off the field, Joe is a winner through and through. As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Dodgers moving to Los Angeles, we will again have a Hall of Fame caliber manager at the helm. Joe's dedication, desire and ability will help lead the Dodgers to our ultimate goal -- a world championship."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in