post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2007, 19:57 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: celtic and winnipeg jets
NHL Fans in Canada Pay Up

from the toronto star:

Feb 10, 2007 04:30 AM
Kevin McGran
SPORTS REPORTER

Canadian fans truly are the backbone of the NHL.

The six Canadian teams, representing 20 per cent of the 30-team league, account for 33.3 per cent of all NHL revenues.

That means Canadian team fans cough up an estimated $733 million (all figures U.S.) of the league's $2.2 billion revenue.

Whether it's a family buying season tickets, individuals buying sweaters, advertisers buying in-arena signage, radio and television companies purchasing broadcast rights and people parking their cars in club-owned lots, Canadian teams have economic clout.

Those facts came to light this week when agents gathered at an NHL Players' Association meeting where league revenues and salary-cap issues were discussed.

"That, to me, was almost shocking," agent Carlos Sosa said. "You've got smaller markets here, but they're doing well.

"It's an interesting number. With that kind of economic strength, you'd think they'd be able to wield more power."

The agents were told the salary cap will rise to about $48 million per team next season, a bump of about $4 million and $500,000 more than anticipated. The league won't confirm the salary-cap number until after the playoffs.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are by far the largest revenue generator in the league, having put more money than any other team between $9 million and $10 million into the NHL's revenue-sharing fund.

Sosa said once American owners realize that Canada is such a cash cow, they might warm up to the idea of a seventh franchise here, perhaps in Winnipeg.

"You'd think (the Canadian teams) could make a case for a Winnipeg," Sosa said. "They may go back there."

Leafs GM John Ferguson said he hopes his NHL brethren will see the light. "I'm a big proponent of Winnipeg, the city and the market," he said. "There's no such thing as a slam dunk. I do think that market would support the National Hockey League."

thoughts guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2007, 22:09
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Canadian fans arethe backbone of the NHL no question. About Winnipeg, I'll take Winnipeg over KC anyday of the week! Unfortunatley the NHL doesn't like a 15,000 seater stadium. Why not make Winnipeg's arena an 18,000 seater or 20,000? I think the city could do it despite all the Leafs fans.

How high up are the Wings in terms of revenue? Have to be #1 in the tates.

R.I.P Ari
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2007, 22:47 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: celtic and winnipeg jets
dmitry, have you been to winnipeg before?.....i only ask you this because of the refrence you just made to the leafs fans we got here.
15,000 is plenty for the NHL. especially these days.. there is a plan, if needed, to increase the MTS CENTRE to seat 16,500 if that is what the league would want us to do. but i dont think they will.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in