NFL Coaches come and Go ..... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 20:56 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
NFL Coaches come and Go .....

We all know about the WEASEL Saban and since he has nothing to do with my Team I really dont care what the culprit does anymore ......

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 20:57 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Cowher resigns, Steelers begin coach search

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
January 5, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Bill Cowher resigned as the Pittsburgh Steelers' coach Friday, stepping aside to spend more time with his family one year after winning the Super Bowl title he had chased since 1992.

The 49-year-old Cowher left with one year left on his contract following an 8-8 season that was a disappointment, especially after last season: The Steelers became the first team to win three playoff games on the road and then win the Super Bowl as a sixth-seeded AFC team.

"History will look back on Bill Cowher as one of the great coaches of all time," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said.

The Steelers will begin a coaching search immediately to replace the departing Cowher, who called Rooney on Thursday to inform him of his decision. Cowher said he would willingly offer advice about his successor if the Rooney family wanted his opinion.

Cowher, one of the NFL's most recognizable faces and successful coaches, has weighed resigning since shortly after the Steelers finally won the Super Bowl in February. But he wouldn't say Friday he is retiring -- meaning he could return to an NFL sideline some day, though he wouldn't discuss that at his final Steelers news conference.

"That makes you feel old," Cowher said of the word retirement.

Before winning the Super Bowl, Cowher always said his one goal was to hand Rooney the Lombardi Trophy. Rooney returned the favor Friday, handing Cowher a miniature silver trophy at his going-away news conference.

One of the NFL's rarest events now will occur -- a Steelers coaching search. They have had only two coaches since 1969, when they still were playing in Pitt Stadium: Chuck Noll (23 seasons) and Cowher. The Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts have had 15 coaches during that time.

Cowher has talked of wanting to spend more time with his family, especially now that they are living in a new home in Raleigh, N.C., where he and wife Kaye attended North Carolina State. Cowher's two oldest daughters are at Princeton and the youngest has 2 1/2 years of high school remaining, time Cowher apparently doesn't want to spend away from her.

"I wish the Steelers nothing but the best, but I've given a lot of thought to this decision," Cowher said. "To be honest, I'm looking forward to it, spending time with the family. ... Working in a world that is so regimented and scheduled, the ability to sit back at my age and spend time with family and be a big part of their lives again really excites me."

While Cowher is resigning, there is no indication he is retiring from pro football. He said he is not weary of coaching or dealing with players -- a sign he might be back on an NFL sideline as early as 2008.

"I'm not burned out," he said. "But there comes a time in your life -- I'm healthy and happy, and I've been fortunate -- when you've got to prioritize things. My family has made a lot of sacrifices for me, and I'm looking forward to being there for them. It's the right time."

Cowher, who led the Steelers to the playoffs 10 times, the AFC title game six times and the Super Bowl twice, said his most vivid memories are of the five AFC title games at home -- even if four of them were losses during the 1994, 1997, 2001 and 2004 seasons.

"It's what they do for a city," said Cowher, remembering how his daughters dressed up for school as their favorite Steelers players before those games. "We've had some disappointments, and I feel bad about that. But that was the fuel that brought me back."

Two strong contenders to replace Cowher -- Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm -- already are interviewing with other teams. Whisenhunt met Thursday with the Atlanta Falcons and Friday with the Cardinals.

The team will interview at least one minority candidate, possibly more -- Dan Rooney himself led the NFL to adopt rules that minorities would be considered for league openings. The Steelers also are expected to talk with several candidates outside the organization, even though several players are lobbying for Grimm or Whisenhunt to get the job.

There have been numerous signs pointing to Cowher's departure, beginning when he told the team last spring he was uncertain of his plans past this season. Contract extension talks last summer did not progress past the preliminary stage, though Cowher emphasized Friday his decision wasn't about money -- though he didn't sound entirely convincing.

The Steelers gave Cowher the option of returning next season and completing his current contract, but that arrangement probably wouldn't have satisfied either side.

Cowher, if he coaches again, has signaled he wants to be one of the league's highest-paid coaches. His current $4 million-plus salary is about half that of Mike Holmgren, whose Seahawks lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl last season. The Steelers have given no indication they are willing to pay any coach an $8 million salary.

Cowher is the NFL's longest-tenured coach with his current team; Tennessee's Jeff Fisher, with 13 seasons, is second. Cowher, a former Pittsburgh-area high school player, is third among active coaches in regular-season victories with a 149-90-1 record, and fourth overall with a 161-99-1 record counting postseason games.

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 20:59 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

• Dungy: Colts my last coaching stop

Dungy intends to make Indianapolis his last coaching stop

January 4, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Tony Dungy insists he is not taking another coaching job.

For the third time in three days, Dungy denied interest in any coaching position other than the one he currently holds with the Indianapolis Colts.

A report out of Minneapolis linked Dungy with the job at the University of Minnesota, where he was a star quarterback in the 1970s. There have also been rumors regarding Dungy's interest in the Atlanta Falcons' opening, where general manager Rich McKay is conducting the search. McKay and Dungy worked together at Tampa Bay.

Dungy tried to clear things up again Thursday.

"He's way off, as far off as you could be," Dungy said, referring to the Minneapolis report that cited a consultant who is helping conduct the coaching search. "I don't know who's saying that, but whatever's being said, it's way off."

But Dungy's most definitive comments about his future in Indy came Wednesday, when he was asked about the Falcons job.

"That's not credible, since I have a contract here," Dungy said. "This will be the last place I'll be coaching."

Dungy, at 51, had said earlier in his career he hoped to be finished coaching by age 50. He signed a three-year extension with the Colts last year that will keep him on the sidelines through 2009.

The Minnesota job opened Sunday when Glen Mason was fired, two days after the Gophers blew a 31-point lead in the Insight Bowl. It was the largest comeback in Division I bowl history.

The Falcons job opened Monday when Jim Mora, the son of the former Colts coach, was fired after a 7-9 season.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2007, 21:00 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Jim Mora is out there..looking for a Job too .....

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2007, 13:42
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Jim Mora is out there..looking for a Job too .....
He was in the NBC studio last night and the guy was really looking for a new job even going as far as thanking the Falcons owner for his first job. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up with the Raiders...
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2007, 14:13 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambis
He was in the NBC studio last night and the guy was really looking for a new job even going as far as thanking the Falcons owner for his first job. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up with the Raiders...
Maybe he's in the eyes of Huyzenga, Eventhough here in Miami the speculation is that Cowher is headed to Dolphins Stadium ...

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2007, 04:13
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

Jim Mora should get a job loved his press conferences, there was another one when he was with the Saints p
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2007, 05:09
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Quote:
Maybe he's in the eyes of Huyzenga, Eventhough here in Miami the speculation is that Cowher is headed to Dolphins Stadium ...
Bwhahahahahaha :dielaugh: Your sources are way off.

O GLORIOSO

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2007, 08:49 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Glorioso
Bwhahahahahaha :dielaugh: Your sources are way off.
So ????? The Fins are NOT my Team and I really couldnt care less if they Hire Maradona !!!

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2007, 21:53 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

• Dolphins may be courting USC's Carroll

Idiots .... Another INFLATED College Coach for the Pros ??? No Way Jose !!!!!!!

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2007, 21:59 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Petrino finally gets an offer he can't refuse

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
January 8, 2007

Cris Carter & Charles Robinson: More Coaching changes

ATLANTA (AP) -- Bobby Petrino received plenty of offers during his four years as Louisville coach.

Finally, he got one worth taking.

The Atlanta Falcons lured Petrino away from the college ranks on Sunday, moving quickly to find a new head coach after firing Jim Mora.

A formal announcement was set for Monday afternoon at the Falcons' suburban training complex in Flowery Branch -- exactly one week after Mora was let go.

"This is an exciting day for the Atlanta Falcons franchise," owner Arthur Blank said in a statement. "Bobby Petrino is an extremely talented football coach who has done some tremendously innovative things as both an offensive coordinator and head coach."

Mora, who never seemed to get the most out of Michael Vick, will be replaced by a coach who guided high-scoring Louisville to a 12-1 season, capped by a 24-13 victory over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl.

The 45-year-old Petrino met briefly with his Louisville players Sunday night to let them know he was leaving for what he feels "is the best job in the National Football League."

"I am excited about the challenge that awaits me in Atlanta, and I'm equally excited about the potential that I see in this team," he said.

His first order of business: getting more production out of Vick. The Falcons star became the first quarterback in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards but never seemed comfortable in the West Coast-style system installed by Mora and his offensive coordinator, Greg Knapp.

This season, the Falcons were last in the league in passing and 25th in scoring with their average of 18.2 points.

Louisville never had any trouble putting up points under Petrino. In 2006, the Cardinals ranked second in the country in total offense (475.3 yards per game) and fourth in scoring with a 37.8-point average.

Petrino had a 41-9 record in four years at Louisville, leading the school to the Big East title and its first Bowl Championship Series appearance in the Orange. He had just completed the first year of a 10-year, $25 million contract. ESPN.com said he agreed to a five-year, $24 million deal with the Falcons.

"In short, he's a difference maker who will bring a strong identity to the Falcons -- one our team will buy into and take on as their own," Blank said.

Petrino's name repeatedly came up for other coaching vacancies, including an embarrassing episode in 2003 when Auburn set up a clandestine interview late in the season to gauge his interest in possibly replacing Tommy Tuberville.

Petrino met with LSU after the 2004 season and turned down the Oakland Raiders' job a year later. Louisville twice renegotiated Petrino's contract, giving him hefty raises in hopes of keeping him.

"This is where I want to be," he insisted.

That all changed after the Falcons fired Mora, just two years after he led the team to the NFC championship game. Atlanta missed the playoffs the past two seasons, going 7-9 in 2006.

Petrino's previous NFL experience includes three years with the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he served as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. He then returned to the college ranks, first as Auburn's offensive coordinator in 2002 before heading to Louisville.

The Cardinals went 11-1 and captured the Conference USA title in 2004, their final year in that league before moving to the Big East. Under Petrino, the school known more for its basketball program won at least nine games every season and played in four straight bowls.

"Nobody thought this would happen, but nobody's complaining about it," Cardinals defensive lineman Earl Heyman said. "You can't fault him considering what he's done for this program."

The Falcons interviewed at least four NFL assistants, but Blank and general manager Rich McKay decided to go with an established head coach this time.

Mora had never been a head coach until he was hired by the Falcons. He got off to a rousing start, guiding Atlanta to a division title and coming up one win short of the Super Bowl. Then it all fell apart.

The Falcons lost six of their last eight games in 2005 to miss the playoffs and keep alive the franchise's streak of never having two straight winning seasons. Atlanta followed a similar path this year, starting 5-2 before losing seven of nine -- including its last four home games.

That didn't go over well with Blank, a hands-on owner who has spent lavishly to build a perennial playoff contender. He also was bothered by several off-the-field incidents, most notably a radio interview late this season in which Mora said his dream job was to coach at the University of Washington, his alma mater.

Mora said he was only kidding, but had to apologize after being summoned to Blank's office.

The day after a season-ending loss, Mora was fired.

AP Sports Writers Will Graves in Louisville and Charles Odum in Atlanta contributed to this report.

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2007, 05:29
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Portugal, SL Benfica, Manchester United
Good move for the Falcons.

O GLORIOSO

post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2007, 21:15 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Whisenhunt meets with Steelers for 3 hours

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
January 9, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ken Whisenhunt has met with four NFL teams since last week. He doesn't hide which job he wants.

The Steelers' offensive coordinator was interviewed by team officials for three hours Tuesday, and it was evident he doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh to be an NFL head coach unless there's no other option.

"This is the place I want to be," Whisenhunt said. "I've been very grateful to be a part of this organization for six years and I'm just excited to get this opportunity."

Whisenhunt, who has run the Steelers' offense since quarterback Ben Roethlisberger arrived in 2004, and assistant head coach Russ Grimm appear to be the clear front-runners to succeed Bill Cowher.

Whisenhunt, who turns 45 next month, met with owner Dan Rooney, team president Art Rooney II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert about what the coach said were "a lot of things."

"I'm just honored to be included in this search," Whisenhunt said. "A lot of the coaches and players have helped me get to this spot, and I'm very grateful for that."

Grimm interviewed Monday with the Steelers before meeting Tuesday with the Arizona Cardinals. Whisenhunt talked with the Cardinals last Friday and met with the Falcons and Dolphins. Atlanta has since hired Louisville coach Bobby Petrino.

What Whisenhunt can offer the Steelers is a relatively easy transition, with little change needed on either side of the ball -- if Whisenhunt or Grimm is hired, 69-year-old defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau may return, too.

With Roethlisberger coming off the poorest of his three seasons, plus a disruptive offseason in which he made two hospital stays, the Steelers don't want to make numerous changes in strategy, personnel or terminology.

Retaining Whisenhunt would mean a seamless transition from one staff to another, whereas bringing in a coach from the outside would likely mean hiring a new coordinator and installing a new system.

Whisenhunt, a former Georgia Tech and Atlanta Falcons tight end, was the Steelers' tight end coach for three seasons before succeeding Mike Mularkey as offensive coordinator in 2004. He is considered one of the NFL's best play-callers, helping Roethlisberger make a quick and successful transition while still retaining a successful running game.

The Steelers also met Sunday with Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and will interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin on Wednesday. They haven't said if they will interview any other candidates -- an apparent change from 1992, when Dan Rooney talked with about a dozen candidates before hiring Cowher following a 3 1/2 -week search.

The Steelers haven't promoted one of their own assistants to head coach since Mike Nixon in 1965, his only year on the job. He was let go following a 2-12 season.

And before the Steelers can hire a new coach, their former coach had to make room for him.

Cowher did that Tuesday, cleaning out his office during a brief return to town. After resigning Friday, he spent last weekend watching his three daughters play basketball.

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2007, 21:33 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Grimm last candidate to get Arizona interview

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
January 9, 2007

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers assistant Russ Grimm was interviewed Tuesday as the final candidate to replace the fired Dennis Green as head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

Grimm, the assistant head coach and offensive line coach of the Steelers, didn't arrive until the afternoon and hadn't completed his interview when he took a break to talk to reporters.

"I like what I see," he said. "I like what the organization has to offer. I think it's headed in the right direction. I think you're going to see a lot of exciting times out here in the desert, whether it's myself or somebody else."

Grimm, who helped the Washington Redskins win three Super Bowls in his 11 seasons as a starting guard, was the second Steelers assistant to be interviewed by the Cardinals. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt was interviewed last Friday.

Both also are leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher, who resigned as the Steelers' coach. Grimm interviewed for the Pittsburgh job on Monday and Whisenhunt did so on Tuesday.

In all, the Cardinals interviewed eight candidates to become the franchise's eighth head coach since it moved to Arizona in 1988.

Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow met with the Cardinals in Tempe on Monday.

Three were interviewed out of town because their teams are in the playoffs: Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach-quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

Former Green Bay Packers head coach and current Houston Texans assistant Mike Sherman talked with the Cardinals in Tempe last week. The team also interviewed Clancy Pendergast, defensive coordinator of the Cardinals under Green, but that was believed to be only as a courtesy.

Even though the team has had just one winning season, and one playoff appearance, since 1984, Grimm believes owner Bill Bidwill and his family are serious about building a winning team.

"Part of the interview process is myself interviewing them to see how an organization is run from top to bottom," Grimm said, "to see how things are handled. I'm not going to get excited about a job or I'm not going to look to take a job where I don't feel comfortable about things. I feel comfortable so far, but we've got some more things to talk about."

He said he watched tape on the flight from Pittsburgh and found a lot of talent and players who play hard.

"I think there's a lot of guys that want to win and kind of are fed up with the way things have gone up to this point," Grimm said.

He said he would want a balanced offense and an attacking, hard-hitting, crowd-pleasing defense.

"People come to the game, they want to see big hits, they want to see people flying around," Grimm said. "You don't go to the rodeo to watch the cowboy ride the bull. Everybody sits there and says `I hope he gets thrown off.' That's human nature. People come for the excitement."

He also defended Bidwill's ownership.

"I've known Mr. Bidwill and his family since I was playing with the Redskins back in the early '80s," Grimm said. "I've never felt there would be a negative as far as what this family has done with this organization. They've made the effort to make it first-class. I think they do a lot to help put things back into this community that may not always be appreciated because there may not be enough wins over the past couple of years."

Of course, the lack of wins goes back a lot longer than that.

"But as far as Mr. Bidwill and his family are concerned," Grimm said, "it's a class owner and an organization. It just needs to turn some things around and get a little bit more in the `W' column."

post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2007, 08:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

The Dolphins and Steelers still lookinn ..................I guess they will make their moves as soon as the Superbowl is played..They might bee looking at people still involved in the play-offs !!!

post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2007, 22:56 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Mike Shula a candidate for Dolphins job

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
January 16, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- The latest candidate to emerge for the Miami Dolphins' coaching job has a big edge in name recognition: He's a Shula.

Mike Shula interviewed for the job Saturday and is one of at least five candidates still under consideration, the Dolphins said Tuesday. Shula's dad, Don, coached the Dolphins for 26 years, holds the NFL record with 347 victories and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"Mike is a very, very highly qualified person," Dolphins chief executive officer Joe Bailey said on his weekly radio show. "He's got a lot of his dad in him -- very, very smart, very assertive, very firm."

Hiring the younger Shula would mean a swap of coaches with Alabama. He was fired by the Crimson Tide in November and replaced by Nick Saban, who left the Dolphins on Jan. 3 after two seasons.

Other remaining candidates to replace Saban: former Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora, Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey, Dolphins defensive coordinator Dom Capers and San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

Capers interviewed for the head coaching job, then agreed to a new three-year contract as defensive coordinator last week. His defensive unit ranked fourth in the NFL this season.

"He remains in consideration for the head job," Dolphins president Bryan Wiedmeier said. "We're very fortunate to have him in our organization."

The Dolphins also met with Cameron during the first round of interviews and have since been in contact with his agent.

"He's an outstanding football mind, probably one of the more innovative football minds in the game today," Wiedmeier said.

The Dolphins have met with at least 13 candidates, and that list could grow. There's speculation Miami will pursue Marty Schottenheimer if he's fired by the San Diego Chargers, who were eliminated from the playoffs Sunday.

"If a candidate surfaced today that we felt was compelling and that was the right person, certainly we would consider that," Wiedmeier said.

Among those no longer under consideration is Schottenheimer's son, New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. The younger Schottenheimer, at 33 Miami's youngest candidate, withdrew from consideration Monday.

"There are very few people ... that would have the maturity to say to themselves -- which is what he has said -- `I don't think at this point, either from a professional or a personal standpoint, that I'm ready to take the next step,"' Bailey said.

The Dolphins apparently believe the 41-year-old Shula might be ready to become an NFL head coach. He went 26-23 in four years at Alabama, but 0-4 against Southeastern Conference rival Auburn.

The Crimson Tide fired him after they went 6-6 during the 2006 regular season. Shula said he left Alabama in better shape than the program he inherited, which was weakened by NCAA sanctions.

In a statement released by the Dolphins, Don Shula endorsed his son's candidacy.

"Everywhere he has coached, Mike has exhibited class, integrity and enthusiasm, all critical ingredients to run a successful program," the elder Shula said. "He has spent his entire life around the game and understands what it takes to build a winner. He has a special feeling about the Dolphin organization and truly appreciates the opportunity to talk to the team's management about the future of the franchise."

Mike Shula was a Dolphins ballboy when his dad coached the team. He has spent 15 years as an NFL assistant, most recently in 2000-02 as Miami's quarterbacks coach.

"He clearly has a track record of success when he was here, but also elsewhere as an assistant coach before he went to the University of Alabama," Bailey said.

Don Shula has advised management during the search, as has Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino.

"Coach Shula's opinion is something that we hold in high regard. He has given us his opinion of a number of our candidates," Wiedmeier said. "Danny has been a great resource. I don't think anybody has any more passion for us to succeed than Dan.

"Think about all the people that Dan knows, and all the people Coach Shula knows. These are the people we look to and get advice from."

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2007, 11:02 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Dolphins hire Cameron as new head coach

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
January 20, 2007

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- New Miami Dolphins coach Cam Cameron has learned from fine coaches, including former bosses Marty Schottenheimer and Bo Schembechler, plus Bob Knight, whom he played basketball for at Indiana.

Yet perhaps his best lesson came from an opposing coach.

He was around Iowa's Hayden Fry one day when the longtime Hawkeyes' coach was asked about his offensive philosophy. Fry's response, as Cameron remembered: "Boys, we're going to scratch where it itches."

"I didn't know what he meant," Cameron said Friday night, telling the story. "But the bottom line is, you've got to take what you have and make the most of it."

That's his plan for Miami, where he'll try to succeed where Nick Saban failed. Cameron signed a four-year contract Friday and left his job as offensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers to become the Dolphins' fifth coach since Don Shula retired in 1995.

Cameron was one of at least 13 candidates to interview with the Dolphins over the last two weeks.

"He definitely is committed to winning ... and we are committed to winning, whatever it takes, whatever it costs, we want to win," owner Wayne Huizenga said. "He wants to win and he wants to be successful. He has the same driving passion that we do."

That's what Huizenga thought when he hired Saban two years ago.

Saban left for Alabama after a 6-10 season and missed the playoffs in both years with Miami. He left behind an aging defense and a feeble offense.

"It's my job to make this personnel work and find a way to score," Cameron said.

He insisted he has great respect for Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, but said he will call the offensive plays.

Cameron was an assistant at the University of Michigan for 10 seasons before going 18-37 as a head coach at Indiana, then directed a high-powered attack in San Diego. Led by the NFL's most valuable player, LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers ranked fourth in the league in offense this season and finished 14-2, best in the NFL.

An offensive-minded coach appealed to the Dolphins, who averaged 16.3 points per game in 2006, their lowest figure since 1967.

"Good for Cam," said Schottenheimer, the Chargers' coach. "I think he'll be a very fine, winning NFL coach. He has done a terrific job for us, obviously. We're excited that he has been given this opportunity. I know that there's a lot of work for him to do, but he'll measure up to the task."

Cameron, 45, inherits one of the NFL's largest coaching staffs and general manager Randy Mueller, who will be given more responsibility under the new regime. He also will have defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who signed a new contract -- believed to be a three-year pact worth at least $8.1 million -- this week.

Cameron also interviewed this month for top jobs with the Arizona Cardinals and Atlanta Falcons. Arizona hired Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, and Atlanta hired Louisville coach Bobby Petrino.

Before joining the Chargers in 2002, Cameron was head coach at his alma mater, Indiana, from 1997 to 2001. He never finished a season above .500 but coached multitalented quarterback Antwaan Randle El, and in 2000 the Hoosiers ranked seventh in the nation in rushing.

Saban left the Dolphins after denying for five weeks that he was interested in the Alabama job. His disappointing two-year tenure extended the Dolphins' playoff drought to five consecutive seasons, the longest stretch in franchise history. The Dolphins haven't reached the AFC championship game since Huizenga became majority owner in 1994, and they're coming off only their third losing year since 1969.

"I want to win -- now," Huizenga said.

With Daunte Culpepper still struggling to recover from reconstructive knee surgery in 2005, Miami remains unsettled at quarterback, a troublesome position since Dan Marino retired seven years ago.

But Cameron is clearly eager to begin the task.

"It's not going to be about Cam Cameron. It's not going to be about Randy Mueller. It's not going to be about any individual," Cameron said. "We're going to build a team here."

post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2007, 14:51
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
The Dolphins and Steelers still lookinn ..................I guess they will make their moves as soon as the Superbowl is played..They might bee looking at people still involved in the play-offs !!!
And in the end they both hired two coaches out of nowhere. I think the Steelers made a big mistake not hiring one of there own guys in Whisenhunt.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2007, 20:50
Xtratime Legend

Raiders hired the USC offensive coordinator who at 31 years old has become the youngest coach in NFL history. Seems to me like everyone is hiring young new coaches. Also a rumor that Dallas will be trying to go after Lovie Smith the current Bears coach after the SB is finished.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2007, 21:30 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

And of course we all know that THE BIG TUNA has called it a day ...

Again !!!! :dielaugh:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in