post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:54 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
New York Mets Official thread

Reliever Guillermo Mota suspended 50 games

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
November 1, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Reliever Guillermo Mota was suspended for 50 games Wednesday after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, becoming the third player penalized this year for violating Major League Baseball's toughened drug policy.

In announcing the suspension, the commissioner's office did not say why Mota was suspended. His failed drug test was confirmed by a baseball official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the specifics weren't included in the release.

The 33-year-old pitcher was 4-3 with a 4.53 ERA this season with Cleveland and the New York Mets, who acquired him from the Indians on Aug. 20.

Mota, who gave up a tying two-run triple to Scott Spiezio in the seventh inning of Game 2 of the NL championship series, filed for free agency Monday. His suspension will start at the beginning of next season.

"I have no one to blame but myself," Mota said in a statement that did not explain how he ran afoul of baseball's drug rules. "I take full responsibility for my actions and accept MLB's suspension. I used extremely poor judgment and deserve to be held accountable."

"To my teammates and the entire Mets organization, I am sorry. I truly regret what I did and hope that you can forgive me. To baseball fans everywhere, I understand that you are disappointed in me, and I don't blame you. I feel terrible and I promise this is the first and last time that this will happen. I am determined to prove to you that this was one mistake."

Mota's agent, Adam Katz, said the pitcher intends to play next season.

"He is anxious to get back to work," Katz said. "I believe he'll be a better person and a better player moving forward."

Mota has 26-27 record with seven saves in eight major league seasons with the Montreal Expos, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Florida, Cleveland and the Mets.

In 2005, an initial suspension under Major League Baseball's drug policy was for 10 days but players and owners, under congressional pressure, agreed last November to lengthen the penalties. Pitchers Yusaku Iriki and Jason Grimsley also were suspended for 50 games this year.

Iriki tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance while on the Mets roster during spring training, and pitcher Jason Grimsley was penalized after authorities tracked a package containing human growth hormone to his home.

Iriki pitched one game for Class A St. Lucie of the Florida State League, then went 4-8 with a 4.70 ERA in 16 starts and three relief appearances with Triple-A Norfolk of the International League. He filed conditionally for free agency on Monday.

Grimsley already had been released by Arizona when he was suspended and does not appear to want to pitch in the major leagues again.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2006, 03:40
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Mets re-signed Jose Valentin for some reason, he stunk it up in the playoffs, hopefully for bench purposes, can't stand him starting at 2B, some fans really liked him but I never liked him from the start, he couldn't hit a beach ball

Also the new stadium construction started today, it will be called CitiField and the capacity will be reduced to 45,000 but larger leg room and not as cramped as Shea is when it sells out.

Will miss Shea Stadium though, no matter how much people make fun of it
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2006, 20:55
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Mets make a minor trade with the Padres. Mets get outfielder Ben Johnson and relief pitcher Jon Adkins for two relief pitchers Heath Bell and Royce Ring.

Ben Johnson will be a backup outfielder, good fielder with speed but weak bat. Adkins is a decent addition to the bullpen, was 2-1 with a 3.90 ERA, not terrible

Mets gives up Heath Bell, realistically a AAAA pitcher (one who is too good for AAA but can't make the majors) and Royce Ring, a hard throwing lefty but he is replaceable.

My opinion, good trade, we get a young athletic outfielder to boost the bench and Adkins isn't terrible and we don't get rid of anybody who was on the team for the whole season. Bell isn't a MLB pitcher and Ring has potential but he doesn't have a spot on the team and still had value

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2006, 18:11
Xtratime Legend

There are rumors that the Mets are after Zito from the A's.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2006, 01:40
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Mets sign Damion Easley to a one year deal, will be the backup second baseman. This probably means Chris Woodward is leaving and the light hitting Anderson Hernandez will remain in AAA
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2006, 03:01
World Class Player

Teams: HRVATSKA the U aka hurricanes
they are reporting that the mets have reached a 2 year agreement with moises alou..i like alou but 2 years for a 40 year old..i would have prefered a 1 year deal..i wonder what this means for lastings miledge?

Volim te Hrvatskooooooooooo..............
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2006, 03:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

they will trade him, I really think they are "giving up" too early on him

as somebody said on the Mets message board on their site, they should rename the team New York MetroLatinos
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2006, 15:41
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
they will trade him, I really think they are "giving up" too early on him

as somebody said on the Mets message board on their site, they should rename the team New York MetroLatinos
lol yes well as long as they win thats the bottom line..

post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 23:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Mets make a trade with the Florida Marlins, nothing major, we just add to our bullpen.

Mets gets Jose Vargas, a talented young lefty who can start as well. Numbers didn't look good last year (1-2, 7.33) but apparently its a guy with a lot of talent. We also get a minor league pitcher in the deal, Adam Bostick a hard throwing releif pitcher from AA

Mets give up Henry Owen a guy in his late 20's who only pitched 5 career MLB games, hard throwing but that doesn't mean shit in MLB unless you have movement. Also Matt Lindstrom (not a hockey player ) goes too, another hard thrower
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 23:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Mosies Alou signs a one year deal with the Mets, not sure about that, surely this means Milledge will be traded
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2006, 23:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Mets Free Agents and my opinion of whether they should sign them or not

Chad Bradford - keep, must have in the bullpen
Mike DiFelice - get rid, not a MLB player
Tom Glavine - keep
Cliff Floyd - get rid, injury prone and we signed Alou and Milledge needs to play
Roberto Hernandez - get rid, no point of having him
Ricky Ledee - get rid, who??
Guillermo Mota - not sure, if the Mets are willing to wait for 50 games (suspended because of steroids) keep, but do we really want cheaters?
Darren Oliver - get rid, nice pitcher but he is replaceable
Steve Trachsel - get rid, GOOD-BYE
Michael Tucker - get rid, decent bench player but use the minors
Chris Woodward - get rid, Easley was signed
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2006, 01:21
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

looks like the Mets didn't re-sign Bradford and he goes to the Orioles kind of stupid not signing him, he wasn't that expensive either, quality arm out of the pen and we let him go like that

maybe because he was white?
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2006, 01:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Mets make another trade getting rid of a white guy and brining in a Latino p

Ambriox Burgos comes from the Royals, a relief pitcher who was a part-time closer for them. Should help the pen.

Metts give up Brian Bannister, a starting pitcher with some potential but the Mets felt he wasn't untradeable, he also missed most of last season with an injury. Should be a good pickup for the Royals, with the Mets at most he would be a #5 starter
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2007, 13:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Mets sign Chan Ho Park to a one year deal I mean we have tons a pitching talent in the minors and now we are signing has-beens like Park and Shoenweiss (spelling?)
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2007, 14:52
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano, FC Rangers
The NY Mets have no starting pitching...their lineup is as always feared..will it be enough to carry them through the season? We will see.

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER GIACINTO FACCHETTI, LEGEND OF THE INTERNAZIONALE AND ITALIAN GAME
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2007, 14:52
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano, FC Rangers
Hey Hadjuk Schowenweiss is not bad..he's pretty lethal

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER GIACINTO FACCHETTI, LEGEND OF THE INTERNAZIONALE AND ITALIAN GAME
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2007, 02:55
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

he will be our long reliever, something like Oliver was last season, he might start a few games but he will be in the pen

pitching is a huge concern, mainly the starting rotation, injury problems and a lot of unproven young players and other than Reyes and Wright, Mets usually have little success with home grown players
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old March 1st, 2007, 13:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

spring training has started for the Mets, not the best start but its the first game of spring training, losing to the Tigers 5:4

No much competition on the team for position players, there will be a fight for some bench spots [Anderson Hernandez, Damion Easley, Ben Johnson, Dave Newhan, Lastings Millegde, Ruben Sierra ( )] all fighting for maybe 2-3 open spots

Starting rotation is going to be a big problem, Perez did not look good yesterday while Soler had a solid two innings. Also guys like Glavine and El Duqe are prone to injuries

Bullpen will be solid, the late inning pitchers are fixed, we just need to find those extra pieces to come pitch in the 6th and 7th innings, a lot of options in the pen
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2007, 03:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

2007 New York Mets Roster
Pitchers
SP - Tom Glavine
SP - Orlando "El Duqe" Hernandez
SP - John Maine
SP - Oliver Perez
SP - Mike Pelfrey *will be called in mid-April, Mets have many days off early so they won't use the 5th starter

RP - Billy Wagner (closer)
RP - Aaron Heilman (setup man)
RP - Scott Schoenweis
RP - Joe Smith
RP - Pedro Feliciano
RP - Ambiorix Burgos
RP - Aaron Sele (long reliever)

Catchers
Paul LoDuca
Ramon Castro

Infielders
1B - Carlos Delgado
2B - Jose Valentin
SS - Joe Reyes
3B - David Wright

Outfielders
LF - Moises Alou
CF - Carlos Beltran
RF - Shawn Green

Bench
OF - Endy Chavez
OF - Lastings Milledge
INF - Julio Franco
INF - Julio Franco
Utility - David Newhan

Batting Order
1. Jose Reyes
2. David Wright
3. Carlos Beltran
4. Carlos Delgado
5. Moises Alou
6. Shawn Green
7. Paul LoDuca
8. Jose Valentin
9. Pitcher

News
- Chan Ho Park accepted to go down to AAA New Orleans, he will fight for a spot on the team from there. Also going down to AAA are John Adkins and Ben Johnson, both with major league experience but didn't make the club

- As stated before, Mike Pelfrey will be our #5 starter but he will not be on the team right away as the Mets have some days off early, meaning they will be able to use 4 pitchers. Pelfrey will stay in Florida, when ready (about April 14) either Burgos or Milledge will go down to AAA

- Joe Smith was the biggest shock, he was only drafted last season and spent most of the season in Rookie ball!! He is a good side-arm pitcher
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2007, 22:26
World Class Player

pelfrey got rocked todayin the last spring game..he gave up 8 runs and 10 hits in 4 innings..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in