Florida Marlins Official thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 881 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 10:38 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Florida Marlins Official thread

Getting ready for the 2007 season Folks ......

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 881 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 15:42
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Why is this stickied and a Mets thread with tons more replies isn't?

Just trade Willis and Cabrera already... everybody knows you're going to do it, it's the three year recycle of the Florida Marlins.

Quickly folks, come scoop up your discount stars!

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #3 of 881 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 15:54
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Getting ready for the 2007 season Folks ......

Yeah, great start by firing Joe Girardi

Gràcies Pare, descansi en pau.

post #4 of 881 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2006, 17:02 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
Why is this stickied and a Mets thread with tons more replies isn't?
Because this is a new one with no yr in it ... (If you look further down you will see that the Marlins 2006 was unstuck too) the Mets has a season yr in it............Just open a new one and one of us will stick it if you cant !!!

post #5 of 881 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2006, 20:18 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Ramirez , Verlander win Rookie of the Year awards

By MIKE FITZPATRICK, AP Baseball Writer
November 14, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Justin Verlander won the AL Rookie of the Year award by a wide margin. Hanley Ramirez had a much closer call.

The Florida Marlins' speedy shortstop edged Ryan Zimmerman in a tight race for NL honors Monday, beating out Washington's third baseman by four points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. It was the closest NL vote since the current format was adopted 26 years ago.

"I'm so happy," Ramirez said. "I feel so good."

Boosted by a strong September, Ramirez received 14 of 30 first-place votes and finished with 105 points. Zimmerman got 10 first-place votes and totaled 101 points.

The rest of Ramirez's competition came from his own baby-faced teammates. Three of the top four NL finishers were Marlins. Second baseman Dan Uggla came in third, getting six first-place votes, and pitcher Josh Johnson was fourth, tabbed first on the other two entries.

"I want to thank each one of my teammates, because every day they gave me the energy to play in the big leagues," Ramirez said.

Fittingly, one of the first calls he got after winning was from Uggla, his double-play partner and good friend.

"Nobody was talking about winning Rookie of the Year in the clubhouse," Ramirez said. "No egos."

Verlander easily won the AL award after his top challengers in a deep race dominated by pitchers were sidelined late in the season because of injuries. The hard-throwing right-hander, who helped the surprising Tigers reach the World Series, was listed first on 26 of 28 ballots for a total of 133 points.

Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon came in second with 63 points, and Minnesota lefty Francisco Liriano finished third.

"I was pretty excited. I was actually outside washing the car. I totally forgot that today was the day it was announced," Verlander said. "It was pretty fun just to be a part of this rookie class."

Next up is the NL Cy Young Award, another wide-open race. The winner was to be announced Tuesday.

The 23-year-old Verlander, who went 17-9 with a 3.63 ERA, became the first starting pitcher to win AL Rookie of the Year since Dave Righetti of the New York Yankees in 1981. The last Tigers player to receive the honor was second baseman Lou Whitaker in 1978.

"It's a nice tribute to him and his teammates," Detroit manager Jim Leyland said. "Usually when you accomplish something like this, it's a combination of earning it with your play and with teammates making contributions. Winning usually helps, too."

Ramirez gave the Marlins their second Rookie of the Year in four years, joining ace pitcher Dontrelle Willis, who played a little prank on his teammate by calling in unannounced during Ramirez's conference call with South Florida reporters.

"I just called in to say congrats. I love you. Keep doing your thing out there," Willis said.

The 22-year-old Ramirez, acquired from Boston last November in a deal for Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell, batted .292 with 17 homers, 59 RBIs, 119 runs and 51 stolen bases. Ramirez also hit 46 doubles and 11 triples.

Voters select their top three choices and points are tabulated on a 5-3-1 basis. Before 1980, writers voted for just one rookie.

Zimmerman, who actually appeared on more ballots than Ramirez (29-27), hit .287 with 20 homers, 110 RBIs and 47 doubles. He also played solid defense at third base.

"To tell you the truth, you can't be disappointed, because you had a great year," Zimmerman said. "I knew it was going to be a really close vote, and that made it kind of easier. It was a tough year to be a rookie, because there were so many good ones."

Previously, the closest NL election was in 1982 when Steve Sax of the Los Angeles Dodgers edged fellow second baseman Johnny Ray of Pittsburgh 63-57.

Six Marlins received votes, the most for one team on a rookie ballot. Pitchers Scott Olsen and Anibal Sanchez were also mentioned, along with outfielder Josh Willingham.

Liriano and Baltimore outfielder Nick Markakis, who finished sixth, received the other first-place votes in the AL. Seattle catcher Kenji Johjima came in fourth, and Los Angeles Angels pitcher Jered Weaver was fifth.

Previous winners from Detroit were pitcher Mark Fidrych in 1976 and shortstop Harvey Kuenn in 1953.

AP Sports Writers Larry Lage in Detroit, Howard Fendrich in Washington and Steven Wine in Miami contributed to this report.

post #6 of 881 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 23:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Mets and Marlins make a minor trade

Mets get
Jason Vargas and Mike Bostick (AA) both pitchers. Vargas started a few games with the Marlins but can also be a lefty out of the pen while Bostick is a hard throwin relief pitcher

Marlins get
Henry Owens, a 27 year old career minor leaguer who pitched maybe 3-5 MLB games in his career. He throws hard but that doesn't mean shit when you have no movement

Matt Lindstrom another tall hard throwing relief pitcher from AA
post #7 of 881 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Marlins make 2 trades, acquire 3 pitchers

November 20, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- The Florida Marlins made a pair of trades Monday, acquiring two pitchers from the New York Mets and another from the Los Angeles Angels.

Florida sent left-handers Adam Bostick and Jason Vargas to the Mets for right-handers Matt Lindstrom and Henry Owens. Also Monday, the Marlins got right-hander Kevin Gregg from the Angels for right-hander Chris Resop.

"Both of the trades we were involved in today addressed our bullpen needs," Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said. "We expect all three players acquired today to contribute to our club during the 2007 season."

Resop and Vargas both spent time with the Marlins last season. Resop went 1-2 with a 3.38 ERA in 22 relief appearances, while Vargas was 1-2 with a 7.33 ERA in 12 appearances, including five starts.

Gregg appeared in two postseasons with the Angels, throwing two scoreless innings against the Boston Red Sox in the 2004 AL division series, then tossing two more shutout innings against the Chicago White Sox in the 2005 AL championship series.

Gregg was 3-4 with a 4.14 ERA in 32 games, including two starts, last season for the Angels.

Owens -- a Miami native -- appeared in three games with the Mets last season, plus went 2-2 with 20 saves for Double-A Binghamton. Lindstrom went 3-4 with 13 saves and a 3.38 ERA in 46 games last season between Binghamton and Class-A St. Lucie.

The Marlins also added left-hander Paul Mildren to their 40-man roster. Mildren was 10-10 with a 4.14 ERA in 28 starts last season with Double-A Carolina.

post #8 of 881 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2006, 13:25 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Marlins make 2 trades, acquire 3 pitchers

November 20, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- The Florida Marlins made a pair of trades Monday, acquiring two pitchers from the New York Mets and another from the Los Angeles Angels.

Florida sent left-handers Adam Bostick and Jason Vargas to the Mets for right-handers Matt Lindstrom and Henry Owens. Also Monday, the Marlins got right-hander Kevin Gregg from the Angels for right-hander Chris Resop.

"Both of the trades we were involved in today addressed our bullpen needs," Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said. "We expect all three players acquired today to contribute to our club during the 2007 season."

Resop and Vargas both spent time with the Marlins last season. Resop went 1-2 with a 3.38 ERA in 22 relief appearances, while Vargas was 1-2 with a 7.33 ERA in 12 appearances, including five starts.

Gregg appeared in two postseasons with the Angels, throwing two scoreless innings against the Boston Red Sox in the 2004 AL division series, then tossing two more shutout innings against the Chicago White Sox in the 2005 AL championship series.

Gregg was 3-4 with a 4.14 ERA in 32 games, including two starts, last season for the Angels.

Owens -- a Miami native -- appeared in three games with the Mets last season, plus went 2-2 with 20 saves for Double-A Binghamton. Lindstrom went 3-4 with 13 saves and a 3.38 ERA in 46 games last season between Binghamton and Class-A St. Lucie.

The Marlins also added left-hander Paul Mildren to their 40-man roster. Mildren was 10-10 with a 4.14 ERA in 28 starts last season with Double-A Carolina.

post #9 of 881 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2006, 14:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Willis out of jail after drunken driving arrest in Miami Beach

By SARAH LARIMER, Associated Press Writer
December 22, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- Florida Marlins pitcher Dontrelle Willis was released from jail Friday after being charged with drunken driving when a police officer noticed him stumbling and confused outside his car in Miami Beach.

Willis told reporters gathered outside Miami-Dade County jail that he would try to set a better example for his fans: "I'll do a better job."

The 2003 NL Rookie of the Year was arrested around 4 a.m. after an officer noticed he had double-parked his black Bentley along a South Beach street lined with nightclubs, according to a police report. The officer said he saw Willis urinate on the street, so he later approached him after responding to an emergency call.

The officer said that Willis had watery eyes, slurred speech and appeared "confused and disoriented."

"He couldn't keep his balance, he had a strong smell of alcohol," police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said.

The 24-year-old Willis was arrested and taken to a police station, where he refused a breath test, Hernandez said. He spent more than six hours in jail before being released on $1,000 bail, jail spokeswoman Chandra Gavin Dinkins said.

Willis' agent, Matt Sosnick, and Marlins spokesman P.J. Loyello declined to comment.

Willis, a left-hander, went 12-12 this past season with a 3.87 ERA in 223 1-3 innings. In 2005, he led the major leagues with 22 wins and finished second in the NL Cy Young Award balloting.

In 127 starts with the Marlins since being called up from Double-A Carolina early in the 2003 season, Willis is 58-39 with a 3.44 ERA.

He earned $4.35 million last season, is eligible for arbitration and is likely to make at least $6 million in 2007.

Willis has been Florida's nominee for the Roberto Clemente Award -- presented annually to major league players displaying a commitment to community and understanding the value of helping others -- in each of the last two seasons. He was married earlier this month.

post #10 of 881 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2006, 02:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

a new stadium ????? C'mon Santa......

post #11 of 881 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2006, 02:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Marlins and Aaron Boone agree to $925,000, 1-year deal

December 29, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- The Florida Marlins and infielder Aaron Boone agreed to a $925,000, one-year contract on Friday, a move that gives one of baseball's youngest clubhouses another veteran and additional depth.

Boone, who turns 34 next March, hit .251 with seven home runs and 45 RBIs in 104 games at third base last season for Cleveland In addition to his base salary, he could earn an additional $350,000 in performance bonuses.

Boone, who will likely be the backup for Miguel Cabrera at third base for the Marlins, has also played second base and shortstop in his major league career.

He was an NL All-Star in 2003 for Cincinnati, then was sent to the New York Yankees later that season and wound up swinging his way into postseason lore. Boone became the fifth player in playoff history to hit a series-ending home run; his 11th-inning solo homer in Game 7 of the AL Championship Series allowed the Yankees to beat the Boston Red Sox and move on to the World Series, where they lost to the Marlins.

Boone injured his left knee playing basketball that offseason, needed two surgeries and eventually missed all of 2004, then was with the Indians for the past two years.

In 969 games with the Reds, Yankees and Indians, Boone has hit .264 with 115 home runs and 499 RBIs.

post #12 of 881 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2007, 11:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Ramirez wants to finish Dominican winter season

January 3, 2007

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) -- NL Rookie of the Year Hanley Ramirez wants to return to his Dominican winter league team despite the Florida Marlins' request that he rest his injured shoulder.

Ramirez strained his left shoulder playing for the Licey Tigers in the Dominican league's playoffs last week. He was examined Friday by Marlins physician Dr. Dan Kanell and placed on a shoulder-strengthening program.

"I am going to call (the Marlins) to get permission to play," Ramirez said Tuesday night. "I think that my playing here in the Dominican Republic helped me win Rookie of the Year, so that's why I want to try to come back."

Ramirez hit .292 for the Marlins last season with 17 homers, 59 RBIs, 119 runs and 51 stolen bases.

post #13 of 881 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2007, 11:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

What a LOVELY Logo ...

post #14 of 881 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2007, 15:40
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

another NL East title for the Mets, Phillies is the only competition, this division needs to start getting serious
post #15 of 881 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2007, 16:28 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
another NL East title for the Mets, Phillies is the only competition, this division needs to start getting serious
So in the END what will you gain ????

N O T H I N G!!!!!!! :dielaugh:

post #16 of 881 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2007, 21:49 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
Bahawah !!! NY Teams (Across the Board....and on ANY sport) are a joke.....they DONT win CRAP !!!!!!!

post #17 of 881 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2007, 00:35 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

The Marlins (In case you dont want to admit it .......) have the BEST Record-Ratio in World Series WON by ANY Team in the Majors !!!!!!!!!

:dielaugh:

post #18 of 881 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2007, 21:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

they fired their team, Joe Girardi was the team
post #19 of 881 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2007, 21:16
Star Player

Teams: Raith Rovers and Arsenal
Pity nobody goes to watch them.
post #20 of 881 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2007, 10:34 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Marlins agree to deal with Rodriguez

January 12, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- Reliever Felix Rodriguez agreed Friday to a minor league contract Friday with the Florida Marlins, who invited him to spring training.

Rodriguez, a 34-year-old right-hander, went 1-1 with a 7.67 ERA in 29 1-3 innings with Washington last season and sat out more than three months with a sore shoulder. He has pitched for six others teams and has a career ERA of 3.71 since making his big-league debut in 1995.

The Marlins are hoping the acquisition strengthens a bullpen that was the team's biggest weakness last season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in