LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 145 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 20:24 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Miami 'Canes Official Thread 2006

Despite bowl loss, Miami's recruits still plentiful

By: Craig Handel, January 21, 2006

Despite the firing of five University of Miami assistants, including four after an embarrassing bowl loss, the Hurricanes' 2006 recruiting class hasn't been affected negatively, according to Canesport managing editor Matt Shodell.

"Right now, not at all," said Shodell, who regularly keeps in contact with prospective Miami recruits. "In fact, they added a running back, Graig Cooper of Memphis."

Miami coach Larry Coker fired five assistants, one during and four after the 2005 season: defensive line coach Greg Mark, offensive coordinator Dan Werner, assistant head coach/offensive line coach Art Kehoe, running backs coach/special teams coordinator Don Soldinger and linebackers coach Vernon Hargreaves.

On the same day he fired the last four, Coker met with Immokalee High star Javarris James and his mother, Janice Handy.

Despite Immokalee coach John Weber saying he has been taking calls from Florida, South Florida and Nebraska, Coker has been assured James will play at the same school as cousin Edgerrin James, now starring with the Indianapolis Colts.

In fact, Javarris asked to wear No. 5, Edgerrin's old number.

"Javarris is the perfect example," Shodell said. "He was recruited by Soldinger and Kehoe and is still a commitment."

While Miami only has added quarterbacks coach Todd Berry so far to its staff, Shodell said the Hurricanes have their full allotment of coaches on the road.

Strength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey, who helped with the defensive line after Mark's firing, and Pete Garcia have been out recruiting. Now associate athletic director at Miami, Garcia was Butch Davis' recruiting coordinator.

Shodell said Miami is looking at bringing in two more receivers, two offensive linemen and one more running back, defensive lineman and linebacker, which would put the total number of recruits at 21.

"But they can go up to 22, 23 if they need to," he said.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2006, 17:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Hurricanes hire two assistants

February 6, 2006

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- Longtime Wisconsin assistant head football coach John Palermo has accepted a job Monday as defensive line coach at Miami.

Clint Hurtt, a former Miami player, was hired as assistant defensive line coach. Defensive coordinator Randy Shannon will coach linebackers, coach Larry Coker said.

The staff changes come after Coker fired four assistants a month ago.

Palermo was Wisconsin's assistant head coach for 15 years under Barry Alvarez, who stepped down after the 2005 season.

Palermo was outside linebackers coach for the Badgers from 1991 to 1995 and defensive line coach the past 10 seasons.

Hurtt was defensive line coach at Florida International in 2005 and a graduate assistant at Miami in 2003-04. He was a three-year letterman for the Hurricanes as a defensive lineman before an injury ended his career in 2001.

post #3 of 145 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2006, 21:51 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Hurricanes hire two assistants

February 6, 2006

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- Longtime Wisconsin assistant head football coach John Palermo has accepted a job Monday as defensive line coach at Miami.

Clint Hurtt, a former Miami player, was hired as assistant defensive line coach. Defensive coordinator Randy Shannon will coach linebackers, coach Larry Coker said.

The staff changes come after Coker fired four assistants a month ago.

Palermo was Wisconsin's assistant head coach for 15 years under Barry Alvarez, who stepped down after the 2005 season.

Palermo was outside linebackers coach for the Badgers from 1991 to 1995 and defensive line coach the past 10 seasons.

Hurtt was defensive line coach at Florida International in 2005 and a graduate assistant at Miami in 2003-04. He was a three-year letterman for the Hurricanes as a defensive lineman before an injury ended his career in 2001.

post #4 of 145 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2006, 22:32 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

The next big little thing :sweeteye:

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

February 14, 2006

Week after week in 2005, Sinorice Moss watched the numbers pile up like a stockbroker watching his portfolio go through the roof.

The wide receiver from the University of Miami would catch the scrolling ticker on the sports channel or run his finger along the statistics on a computer screen. He'd seek out the names Santana Moss, Steve Smith and Antwaan Randle El. All three were short in stature and long in NFL odds. They were his compass.

So where they had traveled, the 5-foot-8 Sinorice Moss hoped to follow. And in a year when he needed to sway NFL scouts, he couldn't have picked better shepherds.

"It's pretty good timing, huh?" Moss said looking at his feet and flexing calves that looked like softballs jammed into tube socks. "Seeing my brother Santana and Steve Smith do their things (last season), I think it opened the eyes of a lot of coaches in the NFL. With me coming out and showing my speed and explosiveness, catching the balls that I catch (and) being able to run good routes, I think I could open a lot of coaches' eyes, too.

"I don't think I could be coming out (of college) at a better time."

For a wideout who falls well below the NFL's must-have 6-foot-tall standard, that's an understatement. Moss is hitting the draft in a year when short is chic – or, at the very least, workable.

While it might be a little over the top to say the pendulum is swinging to shorter receivers, it's safe to say they'll get longer looks in the 2006 draft, thanks to career years by many of the NFL's smallest wideouts.

One season after 5-9 Deion Branch captured MVP honors in Super Bowl XXXIX, six wide receivers under 6 feet posted 1,000-yard receiving seasons in 2005. And the league's two most prolific wideouts – Steve Smith and Santana Moss – weren't even close to "prototype" size. Both of them stand in the 5-9 to 5-10 range and still managed to combine for 3,046 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns last season.

"It's great timing for him," said San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan, who coached Sinorice Moss at the Senior Bowl in January. "The smaller guys have kind of gone out of the deal in the NFL, but there are some smaller guys – Antwaan Randle El is another one of those guys that's not even mentioned – (who) have some versatility."

Now, Moss is one of the players who could make some of the biggest draft gains since season's end. Despite playing on the losing South team in the Senior Bowl, he walked away with MVP honors after running for 27 yards on a reverse and catching three balls for 45 yards, including a spectacular touchdown in the back of the end zone. The award puts him in impressive company of draft climbers from the past six years, including quarterbacks Charlie Frye and Philip Rivers, running back Larry Johnson, Randle El and quarterback Chad Pennington.

Widely considered a late first-day pick heading into the Senior Bowl, Moss has some forward momentum, and he appears to have positioned himself in solid second-round territory going into this month's scouting combine in Indianapolis.

"He's got our attention," Nolan said "… I don't want to say he's got a complete game yet, but somebody is going to get a good football player with him.

"The thing that I like about Moss (is that) he's built like his brother. They have great lower bodies. They might not be the tallest, but they are sturdy guys. When you have a little guy, and he's little all over, they get blown up in the game. But people have to know the difference between a sturdy shorter guy and a frail guy. He's certainly one of those sturdy guys."

Oddly enough, one of Moss' biggest hurdles has been escaping the comparisons that come with being the younger brother of a college and NFL star.

While Santana Moss has opened some doors by succeeding without blessed size, that prosperity added hurdles for Sinorice. It dogged him at Miami's Carol City High School, where he was dubbed "Little Santana" by teammates yet ended up playing wideout in a run-oriented offense. He did develop into a prime recruit – catching 23 passes for eight touchdowns and 506 yards as a senior – but he never reached the Parade All-American status some had predicted.

And the pressures only found new life when Sinorice chose to attend Miami, where his brother blossomed into a receiving and special teams phenom before the New York Jets chose him in the first round of the 2001 draft. That Sinorice even became a Hurricane was somewhat of a surprise. Some thought he would flee Santana's shadow and attend Tennessee, which had also courted him heavily.

"(Going to Miami is) a sign in the competitive nature part of the equation," said an NFC scout who watched Sinorice at the Senior Bowl. "Some guys shy away (from a school) if a brother or their father was a big shot (there). (Sinorice) had to know what he was getting into when he went to Miami. He had some footprints to step into, and he did it. I like to see that. The guys who shy away from it you have to ask why, and that's not the case here."

Like his experience in high school, though, Sinorice Moss wasn't able to fulfill the greatness most expected. He had enough of an impact to play in 12 games as a true freshman in a hometown fishbowl where even his first practice made big news (he had to do a 100-yard crabwalk for loafing). That rough start extended for three years, as Moss fought through ankle, hamstring and quadriceps injuries and struggled to find his place among more established receivers.

Whether it was Kellen Winslow Jr., Andre Johnson or Roscoe Parrish, Moss often got lost in the mix until his senior season, when he posted career highs in catches (37), receiving yards (614) and touchdowns (6). In the larger view of his career, it didn't help that the Hurricanes always had a deep rotation at receiver and never seemed to have an established quarterback. They alternated between Brock Berlin and Derrick Crudup during Moss' sophomore and junior years and then struggled with inexperienced starter Kyle Wright in 2005.

Now Moss is entering the draft with the typical knocks on his size – despite the success of his brother, Smith and Randle El – and some questions about the competition he faced in his biggest games. Scouts have been particularly prickly about Moss' best performances coming against the likes of Colorado, Temple and Duke.

"He's got some 'big-play' in him, but he disappears, too," an AFC personnel man said. "Even if he puts up big numbers (in workouts) you're not going to see him shoot up draft boards (because) he's 5-8. That happens to the 6-3 specimen types or 6-foot guys with zip. They fit a broader need. The small players have to fit what a team wants to do."

Look no further than San Francisco as an example of what Moss is going to face with many teams. Despite Nolan's good impression, 49ers pro personnel director Scot McCloughan has made it clear he prefers larger, prototypical wideouts because of the injury and durability factor. Undoubtedly, that's going to knock Moss down a few pegs on draft boards. But Moss did sit down with 10 teams at the Senior Bowl, and he could easily convert some disbelievers at the combine, where his speed and agility should impress.

"There's a lot of time to open eyes," Moss said. "Hopefully I've done that (at the Senior Bowl) and shown …"

Moss stopped for a second and shrugged.

"If I haven't opened everybody's eyes, that's OK," he added. "I still have time."

Time and timing. For once, they're both working in Sinorice Moss' favor.

Charles Robinson is the national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

post #5 of 145 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2006, 22:14 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Former Miami assistants trying to bring 'Canes' swagger to Ole Miss

By JOEDY McCREARY, AP Sports Writer
March 4, 2006

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) -- Art Kehoe spent nearly three decades helping build the Miami Hurricanes' image as the swaggering bad boys of college football. His new mission: Bring that attitude to Mississippi.

"It's all about being in shape, tough as hell, on time and busting your (hump) every day of your life," Kehoe said. "You can't stop delivering the message. They're going to get that message as hard as they can get it."

This spring is crucial for Kehoe and offensive coordinator Dan Werner, who are spreading that message in a new place. Forced out at Miami after a lopsided bowl loss, Werner and Kehoe joined Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron, another ex-Hurricanes assistant, to help turn the Rebels' recent stagger into a swagger.

"It's not `We can win.' We WILL win. That's the attitude we want to have, and it starts from (each player) individually," Werner said. "If you're blocking the best defensive lineman in the country, you have to have the attitude that `I'm going to kick his butt."'

That was Miami's reputation during the 1980s, and that's the approach Ole Miss is taking to reverse Orgeron's miserable first season in which the Rebels finished 3-8 with one of the worst offenses in the nation.

He tried to run the freewheeling system perfected at his previous stop, Southern California, by his mentor Pete Carroll. That plan backfired -- at least partly because of philosophical differences with then-offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone.

Orgeron fired Mazzone after the Rebels ranked 111th in Division I-A with 281.7 yards per game and were last in the SEC with averages of 13.5 points and 73 yards rushing, and then searched for a coordinator capable of overhauling the offense.

He found a pair of assistants cast aside by his former employer. Miami fired Kehoe, Werner and two other coaches in the aftermath of an embarrassing 40-3 loss to LSU in the Peach Bowl.

Orgeron quickly snatched them up, making Kehoe his offensive line coach and putting Werner in charge of the offense.

"I told (Werner) I needed a coordinator that could come in and be confident in running his own scheme," Orgeron said. "Dan has complete control of the offense."

Werner plans to spend most of the spring teaching his players the basics of the Hurricanes' pro-style offense, which is predicated on confusing defenses by running seemingly basic plays from multiple sets.

"I want our guys to run certain plays out of literally a hundred different formations," Werner said. "The philosophy is, keep it simple for our players, make it hard on the defense."

And, more importantly, prevent a culture of losing from forming at Ole Miss, the only SEC West school never to appear in the league championship game.

"You start winning games, you start getting cocky," Kehoe said.

Miami never had a problem believing it could win, and during two seasons in the late 1980s, this trio helped shape that attitude.

Orgeron and Werner were graduate assistants while Kehoe coached the offensive line in 1988, when Miami finished 11-1 and won the Orange Bowl in coach Jimmy Johnson's final season.

Dennis Erickson took over in 1989, moved Orgeron to defensive line coach, made Werner a volunteer assistant and kept Kehoe in charge of the offensive line during the Hurricanes' march to a third national championship.

They broke up the following year, with Werner moving to UNLV and eventually to several other schools before returning in 2001. Orgeron left Miami after the 1992 season and latched on at I-AA Nicholls State in '94.

Kehoe remained with the Hurricanes until he was fired after his 27th season as a player or coach in Coral Gables.

Now they're together again, hoping to recreate Miami's mystique in Mississippi.

"The first thing is to learn the schemes so (players) know what to do," Werner said. "Then, you've got to be a good enough player to back up what you're talking about. And once you've got that confidence that you're winning on the field and you know what you're doing, it sort of builds itself."

post #6 of 145 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2006, 21:48 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Wow...A dream COME TRUE !!!!!!! From Tampa to Miami....then to Buccaneer Land ????

Chamberlain RB Robinson Headed To Miami
By Anwar S. Richardson, January 26, 2006

Chamberlain High senior running back Kylan Robinson has verbally committed to play for the University of Miami.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder chose the Hurricanes over Ohio State and South Carolina.

"South Carolina offered me playing time, but they were a team on the rise. Miami offered me playing time, but they are a team sitting on top. I liked Ohio State, but Miami had great facilities and they were a private school with much smaller classrooms," Robinson said. "When I told Ohio State [I wasn't coming] they didn't really react that much. South Carolina seemed a little confused and disappointed.

"The coaches at Miami were very excited. I'm ready to go on campus for summer workouts and get ready for this season."

Robinson was named a utility player on the Class 5A All-State team selected by the Florida Sports Writers Association. He was named to The Tampa Tribune's All-Hillsborough County team after rushing for 1,660 yards in nine games, including a 402-yard performance against Alonso on Oct. 14. Robinson rushed 24 times for 402 yards and three touchdowns that night with scoring runs of 83, 72 and 82 yards. Another 50-yard touchdown was negated by a holding penalty.

The first-year Florida player played wide receiver last season at East Anchorage High in Alaska and moved to Tampa three days before classes began at Chamberlain. He started out at defensive end before being shifted to tight end. After watching him on a kickoff return and running a post pattern, Chamberlain assistant coach Brian Turner noticed Robinson's speed and switched him to running back. After his fifth game, Robinson had the breakout night against Alonso.

"I don't know how good he is, but he's a great running back. He has a great future ahead of him," Chamberlain coach Billy Turner said. "I've never seen this happen. I've never seen a kid go from an unknown commodity to pretty much being able to name whatever school he wanted to attend. It was like a fairy tale to him."

post #7 of 145 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2006, 21:49 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

post #8 of 145 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2006, 10:38 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

C'Mon Canes .... Is there anything going on in C Gables ?????

post #9 of 145 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 21:19
International

Teams: Barcelona, Slovan
Miami will have a great defense this year, but the offense will probably struggle.
post #10 of 145 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 17:05 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekalog
Miami will have a great defense this year, but the offense will probably struggle.
Hopefully the Offense is very OFFENSIVE !!!!!!

post #11 of 145 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2006, 04:41
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Hopefully the Offense is very OFFENSIVE !!!!!!
Well, with a new coaching staff, I doubt the offense will light it up, but Wright is a very gifted QB and you have some good backs. However, your receivers are well below standard (and there is virtually no depth) and the OL is a big question mark.

The defense will most likely carry the team this year.

Quote:
When one longs for a drink, it seems as though one could drink a whole ocean--that is faith; but when one begins to drink, one can only drink altogether two glasses--that is science.

- Anton Chekhov
Quote:
"We drive into the future using only our rearview mirror."

- Marshall McLuhan
post #12 of 145 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2006, 14:46 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

AP Top 25

1. Texas (65)

2. USC

3. Penn State

4. Ohio State

5. West Virginia

6. LSU

7. Virginia Tech

8. Alabama

9. Notre Dame

10. Georgia

11. TCU

12. Florida

12. Oregon

14. Auburn

15. Wisconsin

16. UCLA

17. Miami (FL)

18. Boston College

19. Louisville

20. Texas Tech

21. Clemson

22. Oklahoma

23. Florida State :dielaugh:

24. Nebraska

25. California

post #13 of 145 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2006, 19:45
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
AP Top 25

1. Texas (65)

2. USC

3. Penn State

4. Ohio State

5. West Virginia

6. LSU

7. Virginia Tech

8. Alabama

9. Notre Dame

10. Georgia

11. TCU

12. Florida

12. Oregon

14. Auburn

15. Wisconsin

16. UCLA

17. Miami (FL)

18. Boston College

19. Louisville

20. Texas Tech

21. Clemson

22. Oklahoma

23. Florida State :dielaugh:

24. Nebraska

25. California

I'm biased, but FSU will finish higher than 23. Weatherford is growing, had a superb spring, and the secondary (Our weakness last year) will be better. The D-Line lost a lot, but the talent, as always, is there. The running game should be great this year. Booker and Smith should be one of the top RB duo's in the nation.

Quote:
When one longs for a drink, it seems as though one could drink a whole ocean--that is faith; but when one begins to drink, one can only drink altogether two glasses--that is science.

- Anton Chekhov
Quote:
"We drive into the future using only our rearview mirror."

- Marshall McLuhan
post #14 of 145 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2006, 21:01 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Great Im all for FLORIDA Teams....as long as they dont interfere with the 'Canes !!!!

post #15 of 145 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2006, 22:31 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

'Rock' To Have Surgery In Miami

Wed Jun 21

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will have surgery Friday in Miami after being hurt while filming a new movie.

Johnson ruptured his Achilles tendon while shooting a scene for the new Disney comedy, "The Game Plan." Johnson, who played football for the University of Miami, portrays a professional quarterback in the film.

Johnson said he hopes to get back to work soon after the surgery with the help of "some TLC, pizza and a lot of doughnuts."

post #16 of 145 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2006, 10:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

No news ou of Coral Gables is good news !!!!!

post #17 of 145 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2006, 18:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Williams asks for release from Miami

July 11, 2006

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- Willie Williams has asked Miami to release him from his scholarship, and is beginning the process of finding a new school.

The linebacker -- who was allowed to enroll at Miami two years ago despite having 11 entries on his arrest record -- was touted as one of the nation's best defensive players coming out of high school, but never became a starter with the Hurricanes.

"Whatever is best for Willie, I will be in favor of," Miami coach Larry Coker said in a statement released by the school.

Williams has not yet enrolled at any other school, and it's still possible that he could return to the Hurricanes if he changes his mind. Practice for the 2006 season begins next month.

Williams signed with Miami on Feb. 4, 2004, the day his arrest record became known publicly. He spent a few days in jail for violating probation, then had his admission to Miami scrutinized, delayed -- and eventually allowed, provided he adhered to strict academic and off-field ground rules.

He was redshirted for the 2004 season because of a knee injury, then appeared mostly as a backup and special-teams standout in 2005.

post #18 of 145 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 11:35 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Monday, September 4th
Florida State at Miami 7:00 p.m. ESPN (HD)

post #19 of 145 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2006, 20:38 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Xcitement is in the air in the Gables...I stopped yesterday on my way home to get some Hurricanes paraphenalia at the Campus Store and you can feel the heat rising !!!!!

post #20 of 145 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2006, 21:47 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

After tough offseason, Hurricanes eager to get '06 rolling

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
July 23, 2006

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- This was hardly a smooth offseason for the Miami Hurricanes.

Several assistant coaches got fired in a sweeping, largely unexpected move. Some notable players talked about transferring. A pair of key recruits backed away from commitments. A backup safety was shot in the buttocks last week, and a star player returned fire with a semiautomatic weapon against the alleged attacker.

All this came with the Hurricanes still reeling from the 40-3 season-ending debacle of a loss to LSU in the Peach Bowl.

Still, Miami carries a familiar swagger into this 2006 season -- it expects to be great.

"I don't expect us to lose any games," quarterback Kyle Wright said Sunday, when the three-day Atlantic Coast Conference football preseason media kickoff began. "There's no reason why we shouldn't go to the ACC championship. No reason at all. If we go out and take care of business every Saturday, Mondays, Thursdays, whatever day we're playing, we'll get there and that'll take care of itself."

The Hurricanes were 9-3 a year ago, but enter their third ACC season without having made any new additions to the program's trophy case. In 2004, they lost at home to Virginia Tech in the game that decided the league title. Last year, another late-season home loss to Georgia Tech kept Miami from playing in the conference's first overall championship game.

Instead of going there and potentially earning a berth into the Bowl Championship Series, it was back to the Peach Bowl for the second straight year -- where the Hurricanes had their worst bowl loss ever.

"Embarrassing," Wright said. "I will not watch that game."

An offseason of headaches was just beginning.

Days after the Peach Bowl, Hurricanes coach Larry Coker decided to fire several top assistants -- including offensive coordinator Dan Werner, offensive line coach Art Kehoe and running backs coach Don Soldinger.

Plus, two committed quarterbacks spurned Miami, one because of the coaching shake-up, another because the New York Mets offered him a lucrative signing bonus to skip football for baseball.

"We don't control who our coach is," linebacker Jon Beason said. "We sign somewhere. Coaches leave, coaches come in. All you can do is play. I don't think that's affected us."

A scary incident last week could have affected Miami deeply.

Backup safety Willie Cooper was shot outside the home he shares with two other Miami players; he is expected to be ready for the start of camp on Aug. 7. One of his housemates, standout senior Brandon Meriweather, shot at the assailant. Police said Meriweather used his gun legally.

"We're targets because we play for the University of Miami. ... These guys, they know who we are," Beason said.

The Cooper shooting came only days after linebacker Willie Williams, the once-heralded linebacker whose enormous on-field talent was shrouded by 11 arrests during his high school days, asked to be released from his scholarship -- largely because he still hasn't become a first-string player with the Hurricanes.

Williams still might return; school officials say they would welcome him back if he changes his mind. But skipping most of the summer workout schedule hasn't exactly endeared Williams to his teammates.

"Willie and I are pretty good friends," said Wright, whose locker used to be next to Williams. "I think he's a great kid. Do I think he's making a mistake? Of course I do, because I think anyone that leaves here is making a mistake. ... But you've got to put in the work, no matter who you are."

Even after all the storminess, when the league's preseason poll comes out Monday, the Hurricanes almost certainly will be near the top of the projected Coastal Division standings.

And Beason and Wright both believe the offseason happenings should not affect Miami in any way when the season opens Sept. 4 against Florida State.

"We want to play football," Beason said. "There's a legacy at UM, a tradition, that we're not living up to. We know it, and the older guys come back and they let us know it. It's definitely something that keeps the focus on the goal, and shows that nothing else really matters. We've got to get back on track. Period."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in