Xtratime Community banner

gold cup thread

3K views 92 replies 7 participants last post by  jonny ball 
#1 ·
lets give this dumb tourney a thread:)

We are still in transition but when u have players like brooks, pulisic, adams, mckennie and steffen...u r gonna make a game of it. I hope novakovich n holmes get the call, they deserve it. we still dont have good depth and we still have some donkeys playing...the lost generation sucked balls!:mad:

Predicting the 2019 U.S. Gold Cup roster - who will be in Berhalter's 23?
The U.S. national team's first competitive games in over 18 months will take place this summer at the 2019 Gold Cup. What will that roster look like? ASN's Brian Sciaretta take a look as to what he thinks Berhalter will do.

ASN article: Predicting the 2019 U.S. Gold Cup roster - who will be in Berhalter's 23?

The national team is an evolving process right now and the “lost generation” of players born between 1990-1994 still lingers. The desired improvement in the team won’t happen over night but strong, continued emphasis on the youth national teams should continue to improve the player pool over time.

Mexico right now is firing on all cylinders and deserves to be the favorite heading into the Gold Cup. Could the U.S. team still win it? Yes, but it would take a pretty big upset to pull it off. This is the first time in years the U.S. team is attempting to build a team around a generation of players that does not include Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Jermaine Jones, and many others with World Cup experience. There is no quick fix for the national team right now but there is no reason to thing the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t bright.

See less See more
#2 ·
Group D....

June 18: Guyana (Minneapolis)
June 22: Trinidad & Tobago (Cleveland)
June 26: Panama (Kansas City)

The bi-annual Gold Cup group match against Panama :yawn: I also hope the media don't go overboard with revenge against Trinidad :howler: If US wins their group, the path to the final is straightforward on paper (Jamaica/El Salvador then Honduras/Panama in the semis, all at home of course), compared to Mexico who will probably run into Costa Rica

#4 ·
josh sargent and adams are going to da gold cup , thats why they r not gping to poland

araujo could be going to the gold cup too..dude is only 17 n is a starter for da galaxy and has looked good.

reyna and araujo could be on da 2022 world cup roster for the US/ they r too good to for their age group!

#5 ·

Boyd scored again today and hes on the preliminary Gold cup roster

Familiar faces and plenty of surprises highlight preliminary Gold Cup roster
The 40 player preliminary Gold Cup roster is out and there is plenty to digest about which names are now in contention to make the the final roster for the tournament. ASN's Brian Sciaretta looks at the surprising inclusions and the noteworthy omissions.

ASN article: Familiar faces and plenty of surprises highlight preliminary Gold Cup roster

Amon, fossey, holmes , boyd, sargent are on the premliminary gold cup roster

Marlon Fossey: Another player who has dealt with a wave of serious injuries – including an ACL injury and setbacks during his recovery. The English/American right back Fossey was part of the United States U-20 team in 2017 where he started in qualifying. He was slated to be part of the U-20 World Cup in 2017 but had to be replaced on the final roster due to injury.

Jonathan Amon: The talented winger from Nordsjaelland made his U.S. national team debut last November when he started in a friendly against Peru. As one of the most difficult cuts from the 2019 U.S. U-20 World Cup team, Amon remains a key prospect for the U.S. team and being on this list shows that he is valued despite the U-20 team setback. Nordsjaelland's season runs through this weekend so Amon might have a tough time attending camp, but this is a nice signal to the youngster from South Carolina.

PREDICTED GOLD CUP ROSTER

1) Zack Steffen
2) Ethan Horvath
3) Sean Johnson
4) Nick Lima
5) Reggie Cannon
6) Aaron Long
7) Matt Miazga
8) Cameron Carter-Vickers
9) Walker Zimmerman
10) Tim Ream
11) Dan Lovitz
12) Michael Bradley
13) Tyler Adams
14) Weston McKennie
15) Sebastian Lletget
16) Paul Arriola
17) Tyler Boyd
18) Wil Trapp
19) Christian Pulisic
20) Josh Sargent
21) Jozy Altidore
22) Jordan Morris
23) Gyasi Zardes

about right....tho amon will most likely replace Morris(hes injured ) yedlin and brooks are injured

#6 ·
amon needs to stay healthy, n sargent is gonna have a bigger role next season for his club

we may see a shit load of yanks getting promoted next season(dest(ajax), ledezema(PSV), richards(bayern), mendez(freiburg)??

the under 20/17 cycles are important cycles to the US

#7 ·
https://www.transfermarkt.de/-2-weston-mckennie/thread/forum/16/thread_id/374238/page/36

shalke fans are worried abt losing mckennie...we all know liverpool are tracking him. I think mckennie is going to be a very important player for us and for shalke too!

adams, pulisic , brooks, steffen and mckennie are players with quality. Demspey and donvon were decent players but were not as good as our current young players.

I hope amon, boyd, sargent , reyna(dortmund) and some of da u20 players blossom into international players!

#8 ·
this might be the probable starters for the 2022 worldcup?

lets be honest here, berhalter doesnt rate yedlin. If dest does mkes it at ajax...hes gonna be da number RB. Araujo and Dest are da top rated Rbs for this cycle!

bradley is gonna be there too unless mendez, pax, ledezema break out....Anyhow, hes gonna have very stiff competition for a midfield spot...too much talent is coming

if sargent explodes next season....hes gonna over take jozy.

boyd, amon , weah and maybe reyna could be fighting for that left wing spot. reyna could be playing first team(dortmund)
next season:eek:

robinson/fossey/garza for that LB spot? Hmmm!

Miazga, carter, richards(bayern?) could be fighting for that cenerback spot....richards could make it at bayern:eek:

a lot of spots are still open and a lot of players are fighting for spots now...good players too!

boyd/amon........sargent/jozy............pulisic

...........Bradley.......Mckennie

....................Adams

robinson......Brooks....miazga.....Dest

.....................Steffen

#9 ·

amon is raw but is a damn good passer...we might see duane, boyd n amon on the gold cup roster

well, mexico talent pool has dried up....They are coming to the US to find talent and thats no bueno. Lets hope they can find a better cycle soon. We need a strong mexico and hopefully canada continueb to progress.

#10 ·
amon
sargent
adams

have moved from the U20 team and are now NT prospects n will be on the gold cup roster? Imagine if we had all 3 playing for the current u20 team :eek: This cycle is so deep , we could get 4-8 stars from this cycle :eek: and da u17 is a good one too;)

#11 ·
usa will face jamaica on june 5th...heres the roster

GOALKEEPERS: Sean Johnson (NYCFC), Tyler Miller (LAFC), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew)

DEFENDERS: Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham), Omar Gonzalez (Club Atlas), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact), Matt Miazga (Chelsea), Tim Ream (Fulham), Antonee Robinson (Everton), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC)

MIDFIELDERS: Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Duane Holmes (Derby County), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Schalke), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew); Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)

FORWARDS: Jonathan Amon (Nordsjælland), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Tyler Boyd (Vitoria Guimares), Joe Gyau (Duisburg), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew)

#12 ·
CANADA SQUAD

No Tabla unfortunately, I am not sure the exact reason I guess his loan to Albacete not working out...

GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers
CB- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Kamal Miller | USA / Orlando City SC
FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / Impact de Montréal
FB- Marcus Godinho | SCO / Heart of Midlothian FC
FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Los Angeles FC
M- Noble Okello | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
F- Cyle Larin | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
W- Alphonso Davies | GER / FC Bayern München
W- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
W- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-23

#15 ·

The only player who did well last night...was holmes

We may see boyd make is debut for us on sunday

we face velenzuela on sunday...

Our Pool is poor....after mckennie, pulisic, adams, bradley, brooks....we have ave duds. Our U20 team is deep tho...hopefully some will make it and help da mens side.

I am hoping ledzema and mendez will make it....very good players. Both are smooth.

soto is a natural scorer.

Dest can be a stud. He was outstanding v france.

Weah is hard to guage. He does have talent tho

taitague was gonna start for da U20 team but got injured(again). hes an exciting player.

#16 ·
yedlin aint gonna cut it for us....Dest is the next in line to make it at ajax(hes got a first team pro contract with them) so if he works hard....he will make his first team debut for ajax next season

homles n boyd can prolly contribute to the mens side right now n that would be awesome! that would give us time for players like dest, ledzema, llanez, weah?, mendez, soto, richards to break out for their clubs?

#17 ·
the gold cup roster....holmes n boyd are da new additions. horvath and brooks are injured.

GOALKEEPERS: 12-Sean Johnson (New York City FC), 22-Tyler Miller (LAFC), 1-Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew)

DEFENDERS: 14-Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER), 3-Omar Gonzalez (Toronto FC/CAN), 2-Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes), 23-Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), 16-Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact), 19-Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG), 13-Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG), 5-Walker Zimmerman (LAFC)

MIDFIELDERS: 4-Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), 20-Duane Holmes (Derby County/ENG), 8-Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER), 10-Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG), 15-Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), 6-Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew)

FORWARDS: 17-Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), 7-Paul Arriola (D.C. United), 21-Tyler Boyd (Vitória Guimãres/POR), 18-Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids), 11-Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders), 9-Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew)

#20 ·
this might be da starting 11 in 2022 but who knows....will sargent and soto push altidore to da bench? I like soto. Hes got natural #9 instincts . I hope he goes to dortmund. sargent needs to do well next season.I think mendez and ledzema could be hot prospects for us if they continue to grow as players and work on their fitness , they have a bundle of skills. Boyd? he could be a dud or decent enough....who knows. I hope he stays in turkey. Dest has everything to be a top fullback . Ricards could sneak in as well. Holmes is prolly better than most of da mids in MLS. Is he an upgrade? I like lima...hope he can take that LB spot for good. weah needs a club. Hes got da talent to succeed. I am not sure if hes a tweener tho

Pulisic...............Altidore(soto, sargent).............Boyd(weah)

........Ledzema(mendez, holmes).........Mckennie

...................Adams(bradley)

lima...........Brooks..........Miazga........Dest

.........................Steffen

#21 ·
This is a good topic... I mean, roldan, morris, zardes, arriola are not international level kinda players! Sargent needs more time. hopefully he can become a professional. Tho, I would give call ups to mendez, ledzema, pax, soto, gloster, n dest after the tourney is over and see how they do...I mean they have given sargent and weah Mens NT debuts.

#23 ·
meh, i prolly wont be watching the games. It doesnt excite me. They need to scrap it.

Da mens NT has 0 depth....trapp? zardes? arriolla? , long? lovits? ...they wont cut it. They better hope some of the u20 players make the jump. The u20 played soccer.....the current mens NT has mostly ave players than good players!

pulisc, brooks, adams, mckennie.....thats it, thats all the quality we have :D ! its gonna be a long process until some of the youngins breakout with their clubs! Dest, Ledezma, Llanez, soto, reyna.....ect!

#24 ·

wel will see if boyd and holmes are decent options after the gold cup

bradley, adams, mckennie and pulisic and maybe holmes n boyd will make this team more enjoyable to watch. It was only a friendly game...hes doing a lot of dumb tinkering tho...annnoyed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.