Xtratime Community banner

Post WC 2018 discussion

12K views 249 replies 30 participants last post by  Ante 
#1 ·
It's been quite a ride this World Cup. We were waiting for quite a while for this second golden generation to reach their heights. We knew we could go all the way, at least on paper. Now finally this team with all their talent and immense hard work finally put it out on the field and showed the world that they could achieve great success. :proud:

However the fact the alot of these players are in their 30's or about to be means a transition period is among us. We have alot of young talented players that still need playing time to prove themselves but I hope this success at the WC has given the next generation the belief that something like this is possible.

I see most of the squad sticking it out for the nest Euros but after that there'll be a big shift in player personnel. What are your guys thoughts on the next phase so to speak? Who do you see as the next set of players to replace these ones?

Reactions: cozmo and Zelja
#3 ·
Yeah that thread inspired me to make this one. Since it was pretty much about Croatia I thought it would be better to put a thread up in here.

And talk about tired. Went to sleep around 4-4:30 and woke up at 7:30 for work. Absolute disaster.

Reactions: Zelja
#4 ·
Definitely a minimal sleep night, tossing and turning and going over the dive by greizman and garbage penalty call...and thinking what could have been. It definitely hurts but also am thankful for how well we did. It was quite a ride this month, the highs/lows, the anticipation going into each game, the drama, the celebrations. I know it will be something I will never forget the rest of my life.

Also, we as a team got over that hurdle of not winning a knock out round game, and did it in style winning 6 games at the WC.

No doubt, youngsters 20 years down the line will be talking about this team and how they were inspired by them, just like our current guys were by the 98 team.

Also, with this amazing run, even more euro club scouts will be looking at our younger guys, opening the door for them across clubs Europe. Once they get the foot in the door, some inevitably make it big and the cycle of our successes will continue.

#weareCroatia :proud:

#6 ·
Pjaca,Rog,Coric,Balic and Vlasic let's see if one of these players step up

Benkovic should move out of HNL, he needs to face better competition.

I am disapointed about Jedva's development

I got faith in Nikola Moro

Halillovic is still young and even when he is not gonna be the player the people was expecting he got talent and could be useful but just if he left his diva antics.

Reactions: Zelja
#11 ·
People sleeping on Moro. I feel he's going to be pretty good. Will first need to see him move away from Dinamo but I ave a good feeling about him. Benkovic also needs to face a tougher challenge like you said.

#7 ·
i wont repeat what everyone has said here, which I agree with..

But I have to say that my heart really breaks for Luka... You can tell the man is just crushed... I think he is taking this harder than anyone. He is truly a good and sensitive guy , eager to please, eager to help... I think he feels he let the entire country down...

#8 ·
I hope a lot of our senior guys make way for the younger guys, post WC. We need to start crafting our new identity now, not just in the lead up to Euro 2020. I’m not sure it would make sense for Modric to stick around? He’s achieved just about everything one could, aside from winning the WC. Let a Rakitic or Perisic take the armband and guide this next cycle.

I’m fine with Modric, Mandzukic, Corluka, Subasic all calling it a NT career. Time to see if guys like Kovacic, Pjaca, Brozovic, Jedvaj, Rog can play leading roles.

Reactions: jaijivi90
#9 ·
Yep Luka was holding back the tears at the post interview. You rarely see the best players in teams also work the hardest and give it their all physically, but that's exactly what Modric does. Legend.

Reactions: cozmo and Ero
#10 ·
I see Corluka definetley retiring. I think Modric and Mandzukic will too.

We have a lot of talent coming up. The key is those guys have to play Rog, Halilovic, Vlasic, Pjaca all need consistent playing time. My only fear is at CF we don’t have much Perica, Livaja if Kalinic is taken back to the team? After that very little. Every other position we seem quite deep though.

#15 ·
I see Corluka definetley retiring. I think Modric and Mandzukic will too.

We have a lot of talent coming up. The key is those guys have to play Rog, Halilovic, Vlasic, Pjaca all need consistent playing time. My only fear is at CF we don’t have much Perica, Livaja if Kalinic is taken back to the team? After that very little. Every other position we seem quite deep though.
I hope Krama will be like the wine and somehow get's better for his 30s, because I can't see any decent striker coming from the U21, this is maybe the main concern in this rebuilding.

Croatia also lacks a player who can be a real threat from the free kick, I can´t remember the last time Croatia score a free kick goal back then in his prime Srna was a weapon. Osijek got a player who scores against PSV but I don't know is he is a good prospect or just HNL material (Tbh I didn't even remember his name).

#12 · (Edited)
TOTALLY agree with you Tuco, I was really devastated to see how he was sad during his interview, he gonna cry at the end... And when I'm writing these I really want to see the boycotting people, the haters, the anti-blablabla admit that he's a wonderful person, a guy who really love his country and he wanted this trophy before for Hrvatska than for his own.

Luka, I don't know what you'll do in the next few months with the NT, if you'll retire or not. But you'll stay in my heart, in my head, in my souvenirs as a wonderful example for everyone, you acted with class on and off the pitch during this World Cup !

Now I must to say that I really love you Luka and I'm sure that the whole Croatia and the whole world is loving you after this World Cup.

And in the future, I'm sure that you gonna be an example for my childrens, and I'm sure that in the same time, I'll be first to invite them to watch your game, your philosophy of the game and your approach on and off the pitch.

Be proud and stay as you are, and be sure that all the croatians are behind you and will support you until the end !

AJMO HRVATSKA !!!!!!!! Budi ponosan :heart: :proud:

xu-byVVac3U

Just really hard to see him crying of the camera at end of the video !!!!!!! :( We love you Luka ! :heart:

#14 ·
words well said Dalmate..

I am watching their arrival to ZAgreb now, and I want to see a smile on Luka's face... and just give him a hug, and tell him he our champion, our hero, and would follow him into battle anywhere...

#13 ·
I know we talk about the position enough, but at LB, Strinic is 31 (tomorrow actually) and Pivaric will be 30 at the end of this year. I’m all for giving the keys to Barisic and Sosa and seeing which one rises to the top here. Strinic had an admirable tournament, compared to past performance and Pivaric filled in decently when needed. Kudos to both on I think shooting above what was expected of them, neither are a long term solution obviously.

#17 ·
The Bundesliga have been a good place for the development of Croatian players so let's see how Sosa develop in Stuttgart.

Croatia should use the League of nations to give minutes to the young vatreni.

Reactions: cozmo
#16 ·
I would absolutely shut the door on Kalinic assuming he even wants to come back. No apology or nothing he says/does should open the door to him. And he doesn't deserve to get the silver medal either-I heard its a team vote on whether he gets it. He turned his back on his teammates, f him.

And Luka is Luka, he is still the best midfielder in the world, if he wants to stay on for at least this Euro, then that would be great.

Is Suba wants to pack it in also, thanks for the penalty saves, but he didn't have a great tourney otherwise. The Denmark goal was very weak and yesterday, two of the goals at least had to be saved. He even should have done better on the first rusky goal...like yesterday, he is close to the ball but doesn't seem to fully stretch out and go for it...and just watches it go by. What's the point of watching it go by, you dive no matter what.

Am worried Rakitic might hang it up..he was hinting about it earlier. Hope he doesn't.

But if Rakitic and/or Luka retire, it will be up to Kova to take over. He put in some really good performances for Real in pressure games like away at PSG, home vs Bayern in the CL, plus a few Classicos, he can do it.

#33 ·
Is Suba wants to pack it in also, thanks for the penalty saves, but he didn't have a great tourney otherwise. The Denmark goal was very weak and yesterday, two of the goals at least had to be saved. He even should have done better on the first rusky goal...like yesterday, he is close to the ball but doesn't seem to fully stretch out and go for it...and just watches it go by. What's the point of watching it go by, you dive no matter what.
He was injured. The French knew it, they were hitting everything to his right, he had no power in his right leg, couldn't even attempt a dive. Ridiculous how no one is talking about it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Why Sulla? What's happening? :)

#28 · (Edited)
That is phucking unbelievable!!!

And to be honest with you, well deserved!!!! They played their hearts out!!!

Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo

:)

P.S. Not to get off topic, but I hope with the revenue generated from going deep into the tournament, and other factors, I hope we can build a new national team stadium. :)

I realize the country is not doing well, and that is a priority to fix, but we need a new facility.

Reactions: Nepoznat
#29 ·
That is phucking unbelievable!!!

And to be honest with you, well deserved!!!! They played their hearts out!!!

Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo

:)

P.S. Not to get off topic, but I hope with the revenue generated from going deep into the tournament, and other factors, I hope we can build a new national team stadium. :)

I realize the country is not doing well, and that is a priority to fix, but we need a new facility.
I read we will get $28M USD or about $37M CDN (for the Canadian based posters ;) )....a very nice pay day for the amazing run. Hope we use it wisely....

#30 ·
AMAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING !

I LOVE YOU CROATIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!! :heart: :proud:

#35 ·
There is a Euro tournament before Qatar and some of the old guard will need to be retained in the squad to ease the transition (& keep the ranking up). They don't all even have to be first team players but their experience & quality can play a part if they still have the legs. Hopefully Dalic stays as coach & it continues to work for him. He seems to be the most measured coach we have had. Might be a flash in the pan but I hope not.

What's extremely important is that the young players get regular, high level, first team football, which the likes of Kovacic, Rog & Jedvaj have been missing.

#36 ·
AIWdKW6Hm1w

Cheers

#37 ·
That welcome home celebration was incredible. Absolutely unbelievable. 550k lining the streets & then all those at the trg. I thought the players endurance was beyond human but the fans are showing the same.So many singing their hearts out (surely we have the best navijacke & domoljubne songs in the world).

A few hundred million dollars worth of playing talent perched precariously on top of the bus - I was thinking the their clubs must have been having heart attacks. Dalic holding on to Vida to stop him sliding of the from off the front of thebus and under the wheels. All the players greeted with such warmth & joy. I shed tears so many times through that.

EPIC!!

#39 ·
I see most of the squad sticking it out for the nest Euros but after that there'll be a big shift in player personnel. What are your guys thoughts on the next phase so to speak? Who do you see as the next set of players to replace these ones?
I think we have to be aggressive. That doesn't mean we boot out the over-30s immediately but waiting for the WC to do the bulk of the transitioning is a recipe for disaster - short and long term.

With the new LoN and expanded Euro format we have the perfect opportunity to phase in those youngsters most deserving and those we think are high level long term prospects.

-He's not a youngster but Lovre Kalinić should be our new starting keeper.

-Borna Sosa should be given an opportunity.

-One of the younger CBs needs to be given more opportunities.

-Mateo Kovačić should become a starter in his best position. That can be in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

-Josip Brekalo should get an opportunity.

-I'd love to see Marko Pjaca and Ante Rebić tried up front. This is a possible solution as to what happens post-Mandžukić and it will free up the winger roles for the likes of Brekalo and Alen Halilović.

None of this will be easy as come September and start of the LoN campaign nothing in terms of what our best XI is will have changed. But if we're not proactive we will not have a better time to do it. By the time WC qualifiers begin we need to have already made a start in rebuilding.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.