Xtratime Community banner

The Real Kavana Thread (absolutely no politics allowed)

54K views 700 replies 50 participants last post by  Takoje! 
#1 · (Edited)
I think there are a fair number of people who miss having a Kavana thread that is not 99% political talk. So, here is a place to discuss food, drinks, women, films, literature, art or whatever you choose (as long as there is no hint of political discussion - there is already a thread for that).

Just to respond to what Maradona mentioned in the other thread. Being a Dalmatinac, I cannot understand how prsut and janje off the spit aren't at the top of anyone's list. I love all the food you mentioned as well. I guess it depends what you are raised on. For example, Italian Prsut is good but I would rather have one slice of the domaci stuff than one kilo of the Italian one.

Sarma is another food where the Croatian version is infinitely better than the Italian version.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
I think there are a fair number of people who miss having a Kavana thread that is not 99% political talk. So, here is a place to discuss food, drinks, women, films, literature, art or whatever you choose (as long as there is no hint of political discussion - there is already a thread for that).

Just to respond to what Maradona mentioned in the other thread. Being a Dalmatinac, I cannot understand how prsut and janje off the spit aren't at the top of anyone's list. I love all the food you mentioned as well. I guess it depends what you are raise on. For example, Italian Prsut is good but I would rather have one slice of the domaci stuff than one kilo of the Italian one.

Sarma is another food where the Croatian version is infinitely better than the Italian version.

What do you guys think?
Fantastic idea! And to answer your question, that would be an emphatic yes. :thmbup:

#3 · (Edited)
Cheers for opening this thread guys!

Ok here are favorite foods of mine:

Hrvatska/Dalmatinska jela: Dalmatinski Prsut, Paski Sir, Janje sa raznja, Teletina pod pekom, Punjene paprike, Pasticada, Salata od hobotnice, jastog (when feeling rich) , musule, kamenice (Stonske), riba ....

International: Thai (everything like Pad Thai noodles to Thai curry or broths like Tom Yam), Indian curries such as balti, jalfrezi, vindaloo the hotter the better), Fish & CHips, Beef Wellington, oysters .....

PICA: rakija domaca (sljiva/travarica) , vino crno, pivo (lager + ale + guiness), tequilla, brandy, whisky, stock, red bull+ vodka , .... sve osim "loz ulja" ;)

#13 ·
Cheers for opening this thread guys!

Ok here are favorite foods of mine:

Hrvatska/Dalmatinska jela: Dalmatinski Prsut, Paski Sir, Janje sa raznja, Teletina pod pekom, Punjene paprike, Pasticada, Salata od hobotnice, jastog (when feeling rich) , musule, kamenice (Stonske)

International: Thai (everything like Pad Thai noodles to Thai curry or broths like Tom Yam), Indian curries such as balti, jalfrezi, vindaloo the hotter the better), Fish & CHips, Beef Wellington, oysters .....

PICA: rakija domaca, vino crno, pivo (lager + ale + guiness), tequilla, brandy, whisky, stock, red bull+ vodka , .... sve osim "loz ulja" ;)
Nice. :thmbup:

#4 ·

Just to respond to what Maradona mentioned in the other thread. Being a Dalmatinac, I cannot understand how prsut and janje off the spit aren't at the top of anyone's list. I love all the food you mentioned as well. I guess it depends what you are raise on. For example, Italian Prsut is good but I would rather have one slice of the domaci stuff than one kilo of the Italian one.

What do you guys think?
:thmbup:Dalmatinski prsut is way superior , its because of the "bura" and type of woods used for the smoking process that's unique to Dalmatian prsut and flavors it superior to the Italian or Spanish Serrano - equvivalent!

#5 ·
If I had one last meal... it would have to be janjetina off the spit with fresh green onions, grilled tomatoes, and a nice Bavarian style of rye bread to dip into the fat drippings... red wine (merlot) and shots of slivo... fvcking heaven!

Love all Croatian food... really all food of the world.

I've been experimenting with Moroccan spices on bbq meats... tonnes of flavour. Also been brining my pork the last few years and it's unreal on tenderloins.

#15 ·
Baraba...janje off the spit is awesome but once it cools down I just don't like the taste or smell anymore whereas pig is awesome hot or cold! Even the skin out of the fridge with some salt, bread and tomatoes is a great snack!
To je istina. (once it cools down it is not the same. I will eat it, but it is not as good.)

It is very hard to beat swine when everything is factored into the equation. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
I've seen grah prepared a few way, I really enjoy it made with a bit of paprika...smoked pork ribs, pork hock and regular seasoning. Once its almost ready it's a decent choice to fry some flour with a tad of oil or lard and mix it into the grah...it makes the grah thicker and not soo watery!

I love Dalmatian dishes, I also love how dalmatinci speak, I think of all the dialects...it sounds the nicest and I get a kick out of how they say "Jesi jeo...jesi iiii"...the women make it sound very attractive!

#18 ·
Good discussion. Keep it up boys. As for Janjetina cooling down and not being as good. There's a simple solution to that - eat it all while it's warm. ;)
The skin of a kezme right off the spit might be the tastiest thing in the world. I like the ribs as well. The big chunks of meat are not as good for me.

#20 ·
Good discussion. Keep it up boys. As for Janjetina cooling down and not being as good. There's a simple solution to that - eat it all while it's warm. ;)
The skin of a kezme right off the spit might be the tastiest thing in the world. I like the ribs as well. The big chunks of meat are not as good for me.
This was a great thing while living abroad... None of the locals knew about the best bits of Janjetina, and they would all swoop down and eat the muscle off the top of the legs (but in cro), while all the ribs and neck would be left on the table, untouched :D

It was almost like taking candy off a baby :D

#19 ·
Sve što je friško iz mora je dobro. Bilo kako. Lešo?Na gradele?Meni je svejedno. A.što se tiče janjetine molit ću lijepo jer ipak sam ja iz Paga. Nadalje,u HR ima stvarno puno specijaliteta,ali bez velebitskog ili graševine nema ništa,a na kraju jedna dalmatinska travarica ili slavonska šljiva za posložit stvari.. Živili,voli vas vaš majstor.

#21 ·
Gotta admit I've rarely ever had Janjetina. My Dad hates it so we never really have it. :D I've probably had it before but never really payed attention to it. I'm sorry if this offends anybody lol. Anything to do with pork is delicious. Anything to do with meat really I'll enjoy. :D I like the combination of turkey and mlinci. Have it every Christmas and Easter.

But carrying on from Petro's last meal scenario, my favourite all time meal would be Zagrebački odrezak with Mushroom sauce and chips. It's simple, but my golly its all I ate when I went to Croatia last year. Delicious. I'm so glad I live 2 minutes away from the Croatian club here.

And for those who mentioned grah :yuck:. But tbf I've had it so many times that I've gotten used to it, so its not so bad anymore.

#22 ·
Gotta admit I've rarely ever had Janjetina. My Dad hates it so we never really have it. :D I've probably had it before but never really payed attention to it. I'm sorry if this offends anybody lol. Anything to do with pork is delicious. Anything to do with meat really I'll enjoy. :D I like the combination of turkey and mlinci. Have it every Christmas and Easter.

But carrying on from Petro's last meal scenario, my favourite all time meal would be Zagrebački odrezak with Mushroom sauce and chips. It's simple, but my golly its all I ate when I went to Croatia last year. Delicious. I'm so glad I live 2 minutes away from the Croatian club here.

And for those who mentioned grah :yuck:. But tbf I've had it so many times that I've gotten used to it, so its not so bad anymore.

funny about the grah...mlinci are the best!

#24 ·
...I lost my parents several years ago and I often crave some of my moms dishes...I'd give anything to go back in time and have my mom's roasted peppers with garlic and olive oil, to have sarma at least once per year (although some of my friends' mothers do send me some), to go to their house and sit in the kitchen and smell sataras as its being cooked, punjene paprike, mlinci...uffff, soaked in some of the drippings....

the peasant style foods are what I grew up with and never realizing until later in life that those dishes, although not considered gourmet, are the best!

#25 ·
am I the only one here who messes with jota, fuži and brudet?! or are these just more regional Kvarner/Istrian things? :D

#28 ·
My mom's "grah" was called "Kasa"... because of the barley but it also had beans with the pork hock and smoked sausages. NOticed how different areas have different names for generally the same dish. My mom came from Karlovac and dad from Dalmatia many different wordings for the same thing

#40 ·
My mom's family called mlinci "krpe" Have you guys heard of that one before?
I thought krpe were another type of pasta alltogether. Krpe, here in ZG, have to be cooked much like macaroni or pasta, while you just pour boiling water on mlinci and they are done.

#31 ·
Yea I've heard people say krpe :thumbsup:

Who knows what japrak is?

#34 ·
Got my tickets for Real Madrid - Roma ...Audi Cup in Mebourne...

#44 ·
I just had a flashback while daydreaming at my desk, here at work....I was thinking about mlinci, grah, pasteta...all sorts of goodies and then it came to me. Remember the times after a long night of drinking at the pub/disko...Saloon in ZG, Saturnus in Zaton...on your way back home, while you're quite pissed drunk and you see the neon lights with the sign..."Topli Sendvic"! hahaha...were they the best sandwiches or was I just pissed out of my mind?!?!

#45 ·
mlinci...mast dripping off it, grah sa zeljem ooooooohhhh!!!!! kokosja juga, meso s tiblice, curke ....

no wonder my cholesterol is going strong lol

#49 ·
I make a nice chinese meal, usually szechuan style, for the family... we buy take out egg rolls & Tsingtao beer. then after we put the kids together we bang and then crash

oh and exchange a card, no presents... chinese food is a tradition since our first v-day together, although we used to go skiing in Vermont for the long weekend

#54 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepoznat
I make a nice chinese meal, usually szechuan style, for the family... we buy take out egg rolls & Tsingtao beer. then after we put the kids together we bang and then crash

oh and exchange a card, no presents... chinese food is a tradition since our first v-day together, although we used to go skiing in Vermont for the long weekend
doesn't surprise me you use the word bang...I guess its a quick in-n-out? wham, bam...thank you ma'am!!!

selfish bastard!

I understood "bang and crash" being Mrs Nepoznat's mind exploding. :)