Xtratime Community banner

General Football Discussion

107K views 2K replies 80 participants last post by  10Boban10 
#1 ·
Pep Guadiola's retirement ends an era that we'll still be talking about in 50 years time. There's too many superlatives that come to mind both in terms of the man and the team that he helped complete. They've both been a testament to everything that's great about the game...an inspiration.

[Mods...In considering where to write this it occured to me that we dont have a dedicated place to talk about general football that doesn't involve Croatia or a Croat. I suggest that we make this a 'sticky' but I leave it to you guys to do what you consider best (please delete this para after read)]

#2 ·
I think we used to have this but it has since sunk into the abyss of old threads :(

#3 ·
Not when he has a team that refuses to change tactics that aren't working.

Cheersch

#11 ·
Not when he has a team that refuses to change tactics that aren't working.
Not sure I agree with either point.

The fact is that in this season alone Barca seamlessly changed tactics from a back four to a back three depending on the situation. One variant being offensive, the other being ultra offensive.

As for whether those tactics work, it definately can't be said that they didn't work against Chelsea. In both games the chances were there. Although less abundant, they were also their against Real. Against both sides, Barca was the better team.

Even if that wasn't the case, we're still only talking about three games over a 3-4 year period during which no one has come even remotely close. Not only did those tactics work, I genuinely believe that we won't see such a consistent duration of dominance at that level for a long, long time.

Ultimately, IMO what we saw in the last few games was symptomatic of what Guardiola himself felt, that is, fatigue. It just seemed that there was a sharpness that was lacking in Barca's last three games. Despite evidence to the contrary, they proved they were human after all.

#5 ·
also my son started U6 soka...at the first game he could not trap the very high ball coming to him.:frustrat:

i made him do 3 laps as a punishment. :nasty:

you dont become great by fartarsing around:)

#9 ·
Pep Guadiola's retirement ends an era that we'll still be talking about in 50 years time. There's too many superlatives that come to mind both in terms of the man and the team that he helped complete. They've both been a testament to everything that's great about the game...an inspiration.
Pep is already a legend Sulla, and for us Barca fans will always be:proud:...Thanks for opening this "sticky", it's about time we had this thread again...:thumbsup:

As far as Pep is concerned again, I really think he'll be back with us some day in some capacity....:)

#10 ·
Interesting timing of guardiola quitting on his club right after losing to Madrid (and La Liga)...and then somehow finding a way to lose to completely overmatched-in every conceivable way-Chelsea...he could have stuck it out a few more weeks as the season finished and then announced it but either way, the Barca reign is over (thankfully as they handed us our a.sses a few too many times:doh:)...he knew it was over and bailed...oh well.

PS Those "secret" talks with Abramovich could see him at Chelsea sooner rather than later...:eek:

#14 ·
Barcelona should be back, but they really need to sign Thiago Silva and another striker with a returning Villa. If they can do that then they will easily return to their dominance again. They have no width, I watched Athletic Bilbao in the Europa League and they play similar to Barcelona but they actually cross the ball and at times are more direct

Around Europe there are really only three interesting title races: England, Italy and France with Germany's being decided and Spain's probably decided next round.

The Manchester derby is obviously the match of the round in Europe, I have a feeling City will choke it away

#17 ·
I'm calling City too.

The reign of Ferguson is done. It happens in football, he took Liverpool's crown and it's certain someone else will break the era he created.

Cheersch

#23 ·
Great to hear that Manchester City won.

Cheersch

#25 ·
Ordinary game because SAF was too chicken-shit to go after a win. Wellbeck, Valencia and Hernandez all starting on the bench with Park given his typical stiffling role and Giggs and Scholes also both starting. Man Utd deserved to lose. You have to take a title. It's rarely handed over.

Blue mooooooon...

#26 ·
Agreed. Tactics of a man who's past his prime.

Cheersch

#27 ·
Top idea for a thread as we all watch games not involving Croats and end up not even writing about our views :D

When Barca is mentioned people are frustrated with their tikka takka gameplay. They are frustrated when the ball is played out wide to a winger and is then played back around to the middle instead of being crossed in.

Who are they supposed to cross it to exactly is my question and it's usually met with...ummmm, cough, squirme and then a subject change :D

Anyway Barca management thought along the same lines at one time or another and subsequently brought in a couple of player to meet the profile of a tall striker, but they failed to be as clinical as they were in other clubs due to the posession game played by Barca.

I am very interested in Guardiolas next appointment, and am interested to see what type opf football he will force upon his next club team.

#28 · (Edited)
They're supposed to cross it to the strikers who would get into the box.

They don't play simple enough sometimes and it's to their own detriment.

Watch here for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_obereGP0o&feature=relmfu

When the ball gets into the opposing third it ends up in the box alot sooner than what we see with Messi's team.

The current Barca squad, avoids it time and again to their detriment, and it's their only one, where such passes end up to Xavi and they keep doing it allowing players to get in front of the ball.
Cheersch

#30 ·
I don't get why so many people are writing Barca off...reading the online articles and listening to some TV pundits you get the impression that Barca has been "figured out" and that anyone can beat them now...obviously Guardiola leaving is a loss and guys like Xavi and Puyol are getting on but I'm sure they'll be able to plug the holes and make the right adjustments next season...

#32 ·
I don't get why so many people are writing Barca off...reading the online articles and listening to some TV pundits you get the impression that Barca has been "figured out" and that anyone can beat them now...obviously Guardiola leaving is a loss and guys like Xavi and Puyol are getting on but I'm sure they'll be able to plug the holes and make the right adjustments next season...
Absolutely Suho!!!:thumbsup: It's not like half our team are 30 somethings and the other half being sold off...Tito Vilanova will continue the fantastic work Guardiola has done, and I expect us to come back with a vengeance next season...We will need to find a center back to replace Puyol, but I still think he has at least 1 more very good season in him...Xavi is looking tired though, and I think he might be leaving soon to play in some exotic league like the MLS or J-League...He will have a position i nthe club waiting for him whenever he decides to come back...:proud:

#46 ·
Having recently watched Boban and co. boss "yugoslavia" in the middle of Belgrade, completely dominating them, I would have to say that that nineties team was better.

#49 ·
oh, my bad. :wallbang:

#50 ·
But I will add that I do strongly believe Boban's Crew could outplay this current squad. They played just as good at times as any team I've ever seen.

The only knock on them was their consistency and we never really fielded our best 11 for a lengthy period of time.

Cheersch