Xtratime Community banner

General Football Discussion

107K views 2K replies 80 participants last post by  pivorakija 
#1 ·
Pep Guadiola's retirement ends an era that we'll still be talking about in 50 years time. There's too many superlatives that come to mind both in terms of the man and the team that he helped complete. They've both been a testament to everything that's great about the game...an inspiration.

[Mods...In considering where to write this it occured to me that we dont have a dedicated place to talk about general football that doesn't involve Croatia or a Croat. I suggest that we make this a 'sticky' but I leave it to you guys to do what you consider best (please delete this para after read)]

#130 ·
tko je ova zuta budala? pissing in the poms pocket. he is after the job...

#137 ·
Dunno though.

I think better an Anglophile, than Francophile.

Cheersch

#122 ·
actually in the last World Cup Lalas was very critical of England, I think he is on their side this time because their fans/media aren't going around proclaiming themselves as the favorites.

ESPN's coverage has been so-so, I thought it was too England-centric today, ESPN need to realize most Americans don't support England, in fact if you look at the ratings outside of the final, Italy always gets the best TV ratings

#126 ·
The commentary on ESPN has been good (minus the England today where they were saying "we need to do better" :howler:).

I think the pre-game/post-game could be better. Lalas is alright but at times forces himself too much, Ballack looks uncomfortable on camera, Smyth was there just to cheerlead for Ireland. Only decent analyst is Roberto Martinez (Wigan manager) but they don't have him on everyday and he is actually in Poland not in the ESPN studios.

I mean even before the tournament in Press Pass (online show) they did a half-hearted Group A preview where they just completely skipped previewing the Czech Republic just so they could talk about Rio Ferdinand's absence from the England squad for the 100th time

#127 ·
I loved Roberto Martinez in Euro 2008..Lalas is ok much better then Eric Wynalda..Ballack is uncomfortable but he was spot on with his analysis today with England..You are not Greece or Estonia where you should be parking the bus to get a result..

#128 ·
Speaking of commentators.

These guys are all doing their jobs and all but thinking back to the older tourneys growing up there simply isn't anyone better at this than Brian Moore, and I wish I appreciated him more when he was around.

Just brilliant.

Cheers

#133 ·
any of ya aussie-cros saw the australia-japan game...they send the clown to ref the game...two red cards for nothing, invented penalty and blow the whistle for the end when Honda was about to take a free kick in goalscoring opportunity

#140 ·
I caught the last 30 minutes of the game...it was the worst reffing I've seen in a long time, maybe ever...blowing full time after letting Honda place the ball for the free kick and having the Aussies line up the wall was the icing on the cake...:howler:

He got every big decision wrong.

#138 ·
Well said Ballack. Lalas sounds like an idiot in that clip
Totally agree TommyC. Lalas was borderline unprofessional. Ballack was classy - and to be honest - correct.

Besides... whose opinion has more credibility, Lalas or Ballack?

And from what I saw, Ballack seems very comfortable on camera... but if anything - maybe a little uncomfortable with Lalas' attitude.

#139 ·
The only good thing about Lalas is that he has gotten in touch with his Greek roots and was a defender/musician like Bilic. I personally do not think he is so bad. His reports are balanced for a Yank. Anyway, what a Euro this has turned out to be. Good luck against the Italians and Spanish. Dont know how much I will be checking in. Its been great chatting with you gents. You are good peoples.

#150 ·
Looks Hoplite, considering the Orthodox traditions I think they'd go Sparta over Rome too.

Cheersch

#149 ·
ye true, my bad..

#155 ·
Pa ako je branio svoje...

#157 ·
Agreed wholeheartedly.

It's quite amazing really.

Cheersch