Romania's Struggle to Retrieve the Gold Sent to Russia in WWI - Xtratime Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GICA

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2016, 22:47 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Romania's Struggle to Retrieve the Gold Sent to Russia in WWI

Another Failed Campaign

The 2018 WCQ campaign will start in September.

Right now we don't have very many details about this but we can certainly assume some things. We'll either barely fail to make it or fail by some larger margin.

Which one do you guys think it will be?

Opponents:

Poland (quarter finalists at the Euro)
Denmark (a team with a strong youth program)
Armenia (a team who isn't afraid of anyone and plays football)
Montenegro (don't know much about them)
Kazakhstan (didn't seem very skilled, but they're no Andorra)

First match:
September 4th, 21:45, supposedly in Cluj.

Last time we started a campaign in Cluj after a rather disappointing Euro we got beat 3-0 by Lithuania.

Things we don't know:
1) who our coach will be
2) how the team will play
3) if we'll use a playmaker

My guesses:
1) Piturca
2) very defensive
3) no

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2016, 01:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania, River Plate
Nice thread title.

Armenia in the last qualifiers:

UEFA EURO 2016 - Standings ? UEFA.com

2 points, no wins, six defeats. Feroe had better results...

Denmark was in the same roup, and finished below Albania. Thier current squad doesn´t show names to be afraid of

Montenegro:

UEFA EURO 2016 - Standings ? UEFA.com

3 wins, but in a group with Liechtenstein and Moldova.

Then Poland, yeah, quarterfinalists, but unimpressive. As I said before, even Iordanescu´s team could take points away from them. They are clear favorites of the group, no doubt, but not a powerhouse.

We are the problem. Too many undefined things to know how we´ll show up. But if we don´t have a complete fallout, we should be competitive in this group.

I´m wondering if we´ll even play a friendly before the opener, which is at home vs Montenegro. We should play one in August
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2016, 02:06 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Yes, the group is definitely manageable but as you said... who knows what we'll show up with...

I wouldn't be surprised with us ending anywhere from 1st to 5th.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2016, 18:08 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

I had a dream yesterday: that Sanmartean scored for the NT.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2016, 18:45 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

I'm gonna post the stats Rumaniac was talking about to be clear: official results of every team in the past couple of years

MNE-MDA 2-0
LIE-MNE 0-0
AUT-MNE 1-0
MNE-SWE 1-1
MNE-RUS 0-3 due to crowd troubles IIRC
SWE-MNE 3-1
MNE-LIE 2-0
MDA-MNE 0-2
MNE-AUT 2-3
RUS-MNE 2-0

Only losses in friendlies as well. IMO they'll end up 5th in the group...

DEN-ARM 2-1
ARM-SRB 1-1
POR-ARM 1-0
ALB-ARM 2-1
ARM-POR 2-3
SRB-ARM 2-0
ARM-DEN 0-0
ARM-ALB 0-3 (questions about this game, possibly sold)

Only 1 game lost by more than 1 goal difference when it counted for something. 0 wins, 2 draws, 6 losses.

It is interesting to mention Armenia's friendlies with Concacaf teams... quite the routs, 7-1 vs Guate, 4-0 vs EL Salvador. They seem to prefer playing poorly organized teams so I think they'll have problems against us. Lost both 'official friendlies' with France by quite the margin.

I'd be scared of them if they still had Minasyan, they had great campaigns for Euro 2012 and WC2014. They have players that can do damage, however...

DEN-ARM 2-1
ALB-DEN 1-1
DEN-POR 0-1
SRB-DEN 1-3
DEN-SRB 2-0
DEN-ALB 0-0
ARM-DEN 0-0
POR-DEN 1-0

SWE-DEN 2-1
DEN-SWE 2-2

no goals scored by DEN in the 3 last group matches (they would've qualified with a win in any of the last 3 I think), 3 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses (both vs Portugal). lost both official friendlies to France. No special results from them, but we don't do well vs Nordic teams usually.

KAZ-LAT 0-0
NED-KAZ 3-1
KAZ-CZE 2-4
TUR-KAZ 3-1
KAZ-ISL 0-3
KAZ-TUR 0-1
CZE-KAZ 2-1
ISL-KAZ 0-0
KAZ-NED 1-2
LAT-KAZ 0-1

their defense in the first half of the campaign was awful but they seem to have improved in time. no special results in friendlies but they did beat China away. I guess that's a performance for them. Their inexperience will probably mean they end 6th... but a victory against them is not a foregone conclusion. without special players we'll have a hard time breaking them down in Bucharest.

Poland, the favorites.

GIB-POL 0-7
POL-GER 2-0
POL-SCO 2-2
GEO-POL 0-4
IRE-POL 1-1
POL-GEO 4-0
GER-POL 3-1
POL-GIB 8-1
SCO-POL 2-2
POL-IRE 2-1

POL-NIR 1-0
POL-GER 0-0
POL-UKR 1-0
POL-SUI 1-1 *PK win
POL-POR 1-1 *PK loss

that Germany win stands out but i don't think it was against a full strength Germany. a draw in the Euro, not bad, but again, Germany was probably resting a bit after their first result. Otherwise nothing special, no wins vs SCO in qualifiers, 1 vs IRL and then 1 vs NIR and UKR in the Euro. Draw SUI and POR which aren't something special.

In theory, not too concerning, could've been much worse. Should get a point or 2 or 3 or 4 against them but you never know.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2016, 19:55
Forum Manager
Legend

Nice work. I think Iordanescu-Piturca´s team would fight for second place in this group. We´ll see what our next team looks like. But considering the only old players (except for Lucian) are easily replaceable (Hoban, Pintilii, Rat with his current form), some young ones should improve with experience (Andone, Stanciu, Alibec) and that there are many options available that would improve the current team (Matei, Maxim, Budescu, Anton, Vatajelu, Bicfalvi, Gardos, Pantilimon/Lung, I don´t mean the youngsters that may or may not develop), we should improve, at least slightly. It´s hard to be a worst coach than Iordanescu- Piturca
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2016, 23:00 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

I think that to qualify we need 4 pts vs POL and 4 pts vs DEN. Which, in theory, is doable. But not if you can't attack properly...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2016, 18:36
Forum Manager
Legend

Daum´s first (preliminary) list: (3 weeks before the game!) Bye bye secrecy

Lotul lărgit pentru partida din septembrie este format din:

Portari: Ciprian Tătărușanu (Fiorentina), Costel Pantilimon (Watford), Silviu Lung (Astra)

Fundași: Cristian Săpunaru (Astra), Valerică Găman (Karabukspor), Vlad Chiricheș (Napoli), Cosmin Moți (Ludogorets), Dragoș Grigore (Al Sailiya), Alin Toșca (FC Steaua București), Alexandru Mățel (Dinamo Zagreb), Steliano Filip (Dinamo), Gabriel Enache (FC Steaua București)

Mijlocași: Vlad Achim (FC Steaua București), Eric Bicfalvi (Tom Tomsk), Ovidiu Hoban (Hapoel Be'er Sheva), Răzvan Marin (FC Viitorul), Nicolae Stanciu (FC Steaua București), Alexandru Maxim (VfB Stuttgart), Alexandru Chipciu (Anderlecht), Gabriel Torje (Terek Grozny), Romario Benzar (FC Viitorul), Adrian Popa (FC Steaua București)

Atacanți: Bogdan Stancu (Genclerbirligi), Florin Andone (Deportivo La Coruna), Claudiu Keșeru (Ludogorets), Dorin Rotariu
(Dinamo)

I bolded the names that weren´t at the Euro. At first sight mostly technical players were added: Maxim, Marin, Achim, Bicfalvi, Rotariu. He´s probably thinking of a technical CM introducing Achim and Marin

I would have liked to see Anton, but I guess players that have started the season before were favoured. I suppose the foreigners can´t change but the locals can. Tanase should be there

Lucian, Nistor and Alibec haven´t played, so we can´t tell if they´ll be called for the following games
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2016, 22:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
The list is OK. We couldn't ask for much more right now.

Now we have to see his plan, formation and style.
The Rumaniac likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in