Romania at Euro 2016 - Xtratime Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 279 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2015, 05:13 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Romania at Euro 2016

Well, we've qualified, so open up the champagne, celebrate, sing, whatever you want.

So, we can open this thread.

Use it carefully--for with great power comes great... Ah, **** it, no one will listen to us anyway. Use it as you wish.

For example:

1) Iordanescu: should he stay or should he go

2) If Iordanescu goes, who can/should replace him? Moldovan? Mircea Lucescu for the Euro only? Dare I say it... Hagi?

3) What positions are weakest, which are strongest?

4) If you had only 3 new players to bring in for a squad of 23, except those regularly used, who would they be? Who would get dropped from the current squad?

5) Dare I ask for it, your 23-man squad and starting team

6) Dare I ask for it, Iordanescu's 23-man squad and starting team

7) Compare 5) and 6) and then cry yourself to sleep.

8) Indications currently indicate we'll likely be in the 3rd pot... But we'll know better in November, best/worst options for the NT

9) Lucian/Maxim/Budescu--none in great physical shape to play 3 games in a row--how would you solve it, assuming they are fit

10) Hagi! Should we call him up?

Hehe, just some thoughts.

Rooooomaniiiiia, Becaaaali, Iooooordaneeeeescu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 279 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2015, 05:54
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Teams: U Craiova, Milan, West Ham, Ajax, TFC, ROU, ITA
Maybe we're not all that doomed but then again, we are

http://www.sport.ro/nationala/avem-n...ordanescu.html

1) Go, of course.

2) Much more difficult question. Speaking theoretically (ignoring the though obstacles such as contracts/interest), I like Reghe's style but didn't like his decision to go to Arabia and he had problems there.. Contra I love and he has showed some good things but also a risk. Mircea Lucescu is a proven veteran, question is what his style and selections will bring to us.. surely, I'd hope, better than our current situation with any of these three but still tricky to know which would be the best for us, both short- and long-term. Even Sumudica or Grigoras could be good.

Also, there's Moldovan and Isaila who are already on the team, but I'm not sure exactly how involved they've been. I'm afraid since they were already part of this team they might want to keep some things similar to what we've seen already under Tata Puiu, but who knows, maybe they were sitting back in 'background roles' and maybe didn't get to be as involved as we might hope. I did like him (Moldovan) with the youth, and he seems to understand football well enough, so who knows. Isaila had good moments with Astra but risky also.

Dan Petrescu could maybe get the results but we would all hate watching that national team play.. and who knows what he has in mind for selections either. Didn't like his attitude in some cases but he does have an amazing club track record before Arabia..

Hagi has done very well with Viitorul lately, and I think he'd be more partial to using younger players than our recent NT managers have been, but still, his past with the NT and tension with Burleanu worry me. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes and is a better manager now (he certainly is at the club level, but maybe that's because of his passion to the club and the system implemented there), but can he really replicate success with the NT? Make us happy with selections, play some logical tactics rather than bunker and long balls at times? Risky one but also one that could potentially pay great dividends.

Finally, a foreign coach is always an option but the question is which one, and why? What can we be sure of them making the right decisions in terms of selections? If we were to do that, they would have to already have at least a small knowledge of Romanian football and a strong motivation to learn more about it without bias to any single party. Also, one that wants to play to our strengths and not get afraid in situations where we shouldn't be.. playing attacking, combinative football ideally,making the team grow, and including younger players more and giving time to deserving players in friendlies in order to integrate them for competitive matches. That's a lot to ask from many coaches these days, but I'm sure it's possible to find. Still, not the most realistic option.

Boloni, and above all Lucescu Jr and Piturca should be avoided at all costs, but you never know with Romania...

But let's relax with this one, we don't even know if Father Chicken will be leaving yet p

3) Weakest positions (considering certain player situations like injuries/form/etc may change by next summer) are RB and CM/DM imo. Maybe ST and CB too, but these latter three positions can easily become much stronger with the proper selections and certain player situations changing by that time.

At RB: Matel is somewhat shaky at the moment (normal given how long he missed football thanks to the unstable Ioan Niculae), but still a much better option than Papp. Manea hopefully will be playing more with his Belgian team by next summer to earn a backup spot (I'm dreaming, I know) if Sapunaru isn't performing. Can't think of any other really decent options here for now, maybe Philp but let's get real p

At CB: Chiriches, Moti, Gardos (depending on how he returns from injury), Gaman, Tosca (shaky but has showed some decent things at Steaua, again this is why we need to be testing players we're unsure of at this level..), and some younger guys maybe to be integrated like Marc and Nedelcearu (too soon I guess, but still), etc. It's not terrible, I guess. And dare I say Radu may suddenly become convinced to join the team? p

At the CM/DM position, it's only very weak because of the team that our coaches call all the time.. but has significant potential with guys like Anton, Nistor, Muresan, Mateiu, even L. Filip, S. Filip, Ionita II, or Nedelcu, in addition to Lucian.

As for the strikers, having Stancu and Keseru going into the tournament is scary.. but if guys like Alibec, Andone, M. Roman (by then he may have a decent situation in Holland), Marica, even Puscas as backup, get some time in friendlies, we would be looking fairly solid here. Not to mention Budescu if we need to, but preferably he plays at CAM. CAM and the wings are some of the most deep positions we have right now IMO, just not being used properly thanks to Iordanescu and his brilliant calls + tactics (or lack thereof, rather)...

4)

My three to call: Muresan, Anton, Stanciu.
Tough call here, but I'm considering Marica and Bumba to be 'normal' players even if they didn't play much of these qualifiers. I'd also love to call F. Matei but depth was a serious consideration here.

My three to drop: Pintilii, Grigore, and Chipciu.
Pintilii was worse than Hoban and Prepe, Grigore our worst CB in the main squad despite his past good moments (Qatar clearly not a place for footballers looking to play in major international tournaments), and Chipciu, well... need I explain? p

5) Trying hard not to fvck this up and submit a 24-player list

Tatarusanu
Pantilimon
Lung Jr

Matel
Sapunaru/Manea
Chiriches
Moti
Gardos/Gaman/Marc? (only if desperate bc other two aren't fit and playing poorly)
Rat
Vatajelu/Sepsi

Maxim
Bumba
Torje
Budescu
Stanciu/F. Matei (tough call here, maybe get rid of one of the bottom CM options and keep both of these instead--make this decision later based on form and fitness of CAM and CM options)
Muresan
Anton
Nistor
Sanmartean

Marica
Alibec
Andone
M. Roman/Puscas (depending who has the better situation in Holland/Serie B by then, either would likely be backups to the other three anyway)

Notable cuts (players who didn't make the squad but came close and could push for a spot depending on conditions): Stoian, Mateiu, L. Filip, Antal, Rotariu, F. Tanase, S. Filip, Ionita II, Paun, A. Ivan. Some maybe just too young, I know, but oh boy.. I get excited

----------------Tatarusanu
Matel----Chiriches---Moti/Gardos--Rat
------------Lucian-----Muresan
Bumba-----------------------------Maxim
-----------------Budescu
-------------------Marica

Lucian won't be able to play a full game of course, so should be Anton/Nistor his replacement. Alibec, Stanciu, Torje, F. Matei, Vatajelu, and Andone are all players who could be nice to see featuring as well. I love Panti but based on how Tata has been consistently playing well for us and for Fiorentina, it makes sense for him to be the starter. But maybe Pantilimon will continue to be amazing despite the shite defence in front of him at Sunderland he'll get a chance in a friendly p but I can't see Tata losing his spot. Not a position to really worry about, anyway.

6) Iorda's squad (BIT), probably same as you see now except perhaps Matel starting, Moti or Gardos maybe getting lucky and pushing out Grigore, Marica/Alibec replacing Keseru/Stancu, and a huge MAYBE with at least one of Muresan/Anton/Nistor coming in for the current CMs... Budescu also hopefully cements a starting place.

7) Done, except for the sleep part. Though I am getting drowsy in a very mellow, FML kind of way.

8)
Worst group: Germany, Belgium, Romania, Wales.
Best group: Portugal, Italy/Russia/Swiss, Romania, Albania/Slovenia.

Edit: it appears Belgium will likely be in Pot 1. Worst would then be Germany, Austria, Romania, Wales.

Spain or France in pot 1, Poland, Ukraine, Croatia in pot 2, and Iceland or even NIR in pot 4 would be horrible draws.

Portugal, England, or Belgium would be the best out of the six from pot 1 we could hope for. In pot 2, Russia, Italy, or Switzerland could be a good draw. In pot 4, avoiding Wales and Iceland at all costs would be ideal, though other teams could cause us problems if we're still in a shitty situation by the summer.

We'll know more soon.

9) I would start Lucian in the two most important group games, or to spark creativity in the team and get some action going, get our opponent worrying a bit and giving us some confidence to attack. This could also backfire, of course, but that's football. Maxim should still try to get as many minutes as possible on the wing, and Budescu should come on in the second half replacing Stanciu or F. Matei (for example) at CAM and hitting our opponents when they're tired with his excellent executions and ideas. I'd continue alternating like this to try and find that perfect balance between using them at the best moments and in sync, while keeping them fit/rested. It's certainly something the coach should consider carefully ahead of time. Maybe by the time summer comes around, Maxim will be getting more minutes for Stuttgart and his stamina will be better.. wishful thinking, though. Lucian is the one who will likely be able to play the least amount of time given his age, so maybe we could also consider using him late instead of starting, and having Muresan--Anton/Nistor as the starting CMs (assuming of course they even get the chance to be there).

10) Which one, Ianis, his dad, or myself? p if the latter, sure! I'll play with more passion than anyone else and I might just score a couple goals from RB like Papp did to forever cement my place in the team

forestasuceava: you prostitute yourself?
me: for the national team.. I would

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
My All-Time Romania unique XIs:
----------------Lung
Petrescu--Stefanescu--Popescu--Chivu
----------Boloni----Lupescu
Dumitrescu--Dobrin/Balaci--Hagi
-----------------Mutu

Last edited by Hagibest; October 12th, 2015 at 07:30.
post #3 of 279 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2015, 17:55
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

My God, how stupid people can be...

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
----------------Lung
-----------------Mutu

post #4 of 279 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2015, 21:21 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

This phrase "nivelul actual al fotbalului romanesc" is something they learned from Razvan and Piturca.

Romanian footballers can be lazy, have a lack of concentration or be in poor physical shape, but they are, on the average, technical.

Funnily enough, when I think Romania in football the last thing I think of is guys willing to work hard on the pitch. I think players with super-executions or "artificii". Like Sanmartean, Budescu... or Adrian Cristea, Mitea. Ok, quite the difference there, but you get my point.
Hagibest likes this.
post #5 of 279 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2015, 23:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
Bring Emerich Jenei, that's what we did before Euro 2000.

Oh wait, he's even older than Iordanescu

Iordanescu will stay almost for sure until the Euros. I don't see a clear replacement either.
post #6 of 279 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2015, 23:31
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania, River Plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by GICA View Post
Bring Emerich Jenei, that's what we did before Euro 2000.

Oh wait, he's even older than Iordanescu

Iordanescu will stay almost for sure until the Euros. I don't see a clear replacement either.
I agree he'll stay. Now about the replacement you mean for the FRF or for lack of good options? I'm fan of Sumudica. I think he'd do great. Contra, Reghe would do a good job. Rednic wouldn't be bad either, I think. Even Galca or Moldovan could work. Hagi too, altough I don't like how Viitorul plays at times. We can never know, but judging by their teams, approaches, and the players they use, they'd all be better than Iordanescu
post #7 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 00:11
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I think Burleanu's federation is more open to a foreign coach than his predecesors (I don't mean they'll bring a foreigner).

And I think we have less options now than a couple of years ago. Or at least some of them looked more reliable.
post #8 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 14:23
Rising Star

Teams: Romania.
On the positive side, Iordanescu said that we need to call young players at the Euro.

I think that Dragos Nedelcu or Razvan Marin NEED to get a call. They seem to be our best options at CM.

We will have a better idea of Iordanescu possible call-ups after the Italy game, where we will see some new faces for sure.

Bumba, Stanciu, Nedelcu, Matei, Paun are some of the calls that I think will appear for next month's game.

AND OF COURSE, if William De Amorim keeps it up and really wants to play for Romania (making the Euro will surely help), I think he could get a call

Last edited by MaximRO; October 13th, 2015 at 14:35.
post #9 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 16:52
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximRO View Post
On the positive side, Iordanescu said that we need to call young players at the Euro.

I think that Dragos Nedelcu or Razvan Marin NEED to get a call. They seem to be our best options at CM.

We will have a better idea of Iordanescu possible call-ups after the Italy game, where we will see some new faces for sure.

Bumba, Stanciu, Nedelcu, Matei, Paun are some of the calls that I think will appear for next month's game.

AND OF COURSE, if William De Amorim keeps it up and really wants to play for Romania (making the Euro will surely help), I think he could get a call
One can never be so sure with Romanian football

but if you're right, I'd be happy. Sure, it would be a pain with his tactics but at least if he makes most of the right calls and gives chances to youngsters in friendlies, it'd be okay. He said wants a different team for the Euros, great, but which players is he thinking of replacing??

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
----------------Lung
-----------------Mutu
post #10 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 17:09 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagibest View Post
which players is he thinking of replacing??
Lucian and Budescu p

But honestly replacing Chipciu with Bumba or Prepelita with a youngster, whoever he might be, wouldn't be so bad.

If Iordanescu stays, I think the best we can hope for for the Euro squad are a fit Lucian, a fit Budescu and a fit Maxim. Maybe, just maybe we can get rid of Papp (if Radoi helps us by not playing him). I wouldn't expect changes in CM/DM. We have 5 strikers for ~3-4 spots, so expect either Andone or Alibec to stay at home.
post #11 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 17:16 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

The Iorda squad:

Tatarusanu*
Pantilimon
Lung jr

Matel
???
Chiriches
Dragos Grigore
Moti
Gaman or Gardos (if recovered w/ playing time)
Rat
S. Filip or maybe Vatajelu

Pintilii
Hoban
Prepelita
Sanmartean

Torje
Popa
Chipciu
Maxim

Budescu
Stancu
Alibec or Andone
Keseru or maybe Marica (if getting playing time)
post #12 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 18:29
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I guess Marica will get some playing time this season. You can't be that idiot of not playing anywhere when the Euro'16 is awaiting.

Marica with playing time is a fix.
post #13 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 20:04 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

This is very preliminary at this point, and I take into account the teams I think will qualify, without knowing the Play-offs. Given the latest UEFA coefficient list by: http://www.footballseeding.com/natio.../ranking-2015/

1st pot:
FRA
GER
ESP
ENG
POR
BEL

2nd pot:
ITA
RUS
SUI
AUT
CRO
UKR*

3rd pot:
CZE
SWE*
POL
ROM
SVK
DEN*

4th pot:
TUR
IRL*
ISL
WAL
ALB
NIR

UKR (4), BIH, SWE (3), HUN seeded
DEN (2), IRL (1), NOR, SVN unseeded

Germany
Austria
Romania
Turkey

vs

England
Switzerland
Romania
Albania

Last edited by forestasuceava; October 13th, 2015 at 22:57.
post #14 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 20:28
Forum Manager
Legend

I wouldn't pick very young players such as Nedelcu or Ianis unless they are doing really well and become better options than the current players. I prefer more establshed players like Bumba, Anton, Stanciu and Matei, who can do much better than many players of the current squad
post #15 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 20:37
Forum Manager
Legend

Marica is a must if he is playing. We would change a lot with a striker like him. He and Alibec are our chance of having a real quality striker
post #16 of 279 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2015, 20:44 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximRO View Post

No, I wouldn't call him. It's not like we don't have decent wings, we just don't use them.

@Rumaniac: Yes, Marica would be a fix for me if he plays somewhere. Pretty sure Stancu is a fix for Iorda. I also wonder if Iorda is thinking why his loves Keseru and Stancu do poorly for the NT but decently for their clubs
post #17 of 279 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2015, 03:22
World Class Player

It's a little belated but congrats on qualification. I'll be cheering you on subconsciously.
post #18 of 279 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2015, 04:15
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmeniaNT View Post
It's a little belated but congrats on qualification. I'll be cheering you on subconsciously.
Cheers mate

See you in October 2016

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
----------------Lung
-----------------Mutu
post #19 of 279 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2015, 03:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Rat in the ideal team of the qualifiers.

And Tatarusanu as reserve.
post #20 of 279 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2015, 03:54
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Lucian should be there

Even Maxim if he played more and was in better form for most games. Even Chiriches. But nice, unexpected

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
----------------Lung
-----------------Mutu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in