Romanian players screwing their careers - Xtratime Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2014, 04:14 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Romanian players screwing their careers

I thought this would be a fun thread to do.

Let's start with the most straightforward examples:

1. Mutu:
a) did dumb things in London, Mourinho found out, and then Mutu didn't play for 9 months after the ban
b) partied it up with every chance he got, beat a waiter, showed up drunk to training, has relations with mafia people in at least a handful of countries
c) fought with both Razvan and Piturca and missed games because of it... and with these conflicts, gone was the chance to overtake Hagi as the best goal-getter in our NT history

2. Sanmartean:
a) moved to Greece and almost immediately fought with the owner of the club; didn't play for 2.5 years or something.
b) never got solid matches for the NT because he only regained some form at 31 years old and was deemed too risky to start for the NT
c) there was some silent conflict with Piturca, I'm sure... you can't otherwise explain everything; he's a rather conflictual player if you look at his history

3. Tamas:
a) will always be remembered for the "break-in" incident... no matter what else he did before.
b) unlike our classy player above, it doesn't matter that Tamas drinks and/or damages public property...

Feel free to add to this thread. It's not meant to laugh at the players or cry at what could've been. It's not to shame them. Let's just see who lost a good part of their career or their 'credibility' as a serious player... And how the Romanian NT suffered due to it.

Last edited by forestasuceava; September 23rd, 2014 at 22:56.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2014, 19:57
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Teams: U Craiova, Milan, West Ham, Ajax, TFC, ROU, ITA
You actually made it

Matel - didn't want to renew his contract with Astra so the crazy owner 'banned' him from playing and he trains by himself... ridiculous situation but even he should have been more careful if he knew about the owner being a controlling scumbag.

Radu - separated himself with the NT, probably because of Piturca and Razvan.. might return with a better coach, but missed many possible caps due to this.

Radoi - Could have gone to an English club like Arsenal or Portsmouth (before their financial problems), instead finds himself in Saudi Arabia and ignored from the NT for a long time.

Chivu - could have gone to Barca but chose Roma and then Inter instead. Got screwed with that horrible skull injury against Chievo and was never really the same player after he recovered. Still had some decent moments, including a superb goal vs Atalanta, but it was evident he was different. Also retired from the NT earlier than we would have liked because of it.

Nesu - never an outstanding player but useful for the NT in his few caps. Got a horrible spinal injury in training at Utrecht, now paralyzed for life... although he is involved with U Cluj now.

Mitea - had a great opportunity at Ajax and destroyed his career because he is a lazy and unfit idiot. It's so bad that he's struggling even in his return to Romania.

Gangioveanu - was a big U21 prospect and was supposedly close to signing with Man Utd earlier in his career... instead wasted after U Craiova fell apart, went to Rapid and disappeared, just a mess now.

Florin Costea - could have gone to Celtic when he was the best striker in Liga I. Instead, he stayed and got a horrible 7 month injury and was never the same, and the Craiova sauga didn't help his cause. He showed some good signs at CFR but seems inconsistent and unfit at times.

Gabi Iancu - apparently a big partier and drinker, had some problems with it in the past.. not sure if he is entirely changed now despite being given the armband for the U21s.

Alibec - great talent, similar to Mutu, but slowly rotting away even when Hagi is giving him his last decent chance...

Daminuta - was in the Milan and Inter youth teams for awhile (think he's still technically owned by Milan), but nothing special heard or seen of him. He's at Viitorul now but not sure where that will lead to. At his age, can't see him breaking into any big team again.

I'll post more later p

forestasuceava: you prostitute yourself?
me: for the national team.. I would

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
My All-Time Romania unique XIs:
----------------Lung
Petrescu--Stefanescu--Popescu--Chivu
----------Boloni----Lupescu
Dumitrescu--Dobrin/Balaci--Hagi
-----------------Mutu

Last edited by Hagibest; September 24th, 2014 at 01:38.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2014, 22:04
World Class Player

Teams: Magyarorszag, Fradi
Lmfao! Its funny because we have a thread like this one, its called The Hungarian National Team

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2014, 01:36
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTAL TONI View Post
Lmfao! Its funny because we have a thread like this one, its called The Hungarian National Team
LMAO!! good one. The shit our countries have gone through... the rest of the world doesn't even know the REAL struggle..

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
----------------Lung
-----------------Mutu
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2014, 14:30
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania, River Plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTAL TONI View Post
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2014, 14:55
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
The most evident case is Mitea.

This guy simply didn't want to be a footballer. And he was really talented for this sport.

Last edited by GICA; September 24th, 2014 at 15:14.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2014, 02:25
International

GICA, that's not true.. I hung out with Mitea at Chiajna, he had muscular problems in his left leg which would mess him up every month or two.. he was never to regain fitness due to his injury.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2014, 03:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
He had those problems all his career?

When you met him, he was finished. He was an ex-footballer.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2014, 04:09
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GICA View Post

This guy simply didn't want to be a footballer. And he was really talented for this sport.
It´s not that simple. I´ve read many interviews where he asks for another chance and repeats (like a crazy man) he shouldn´t have left Ajax. I don´t know what happened, but i´m sure it is more complex

This is the first time since I follow romanian football that I realize that mentality problems are not an exception but a rule in romanian footballers.

Besides the exceptional talents of Alin Stoica, Cernat, Denis Serban, Adrian Ilie, Sanmartean and Mitea we now have a huge number of players that either have already screwed teir careers, are very close to it or promise to do it in the future

Close to the end of their careers or already completely beyond recovery: Zicu, Adrian Cristea, Florin Costea, Tamas and of course Mutu

Already grown up: Radut, Alexe, Chitu, Nistor, Stoian, Tanase, Alibec, Sapunaru, Daminuta(he seems to have improved his mentality, but maybe too late)

Young players that have already showed bad signs: Iancu, Stanciu, Ionita II, Morar, Rotariu

I´m probably forgetting many. And when I say mentality problems I include partying, drugs or alcohol use, not training hard enough, being lazy, having bad temper, and last but not least being weak, not being able to withstand challenges or having low ambitions. It is really a complex problem but lately most of our players seem to have some form of it
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2014, 07:03 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumaniac View Post

This is the first time since I follow romanian football that I realize that mentality problems are not an exception but a rule in romanian footballers.
Really? I've thought this for a long time, although I've become more aware of it lately.

It's not that they're all bad, but that they all 'underperform' somehow.

Right now, the only exception I see is Dragos Grigore.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2014, 13:03
World Class Player

Teams: Romania forever
also we maybe saw potential/talent in players where there wasn't any, when you are young one good goal or one good dribbling is enough to be the new Hagi....

i imagine Mitea's story like this: you are a young guy and suddenly Ajax wants you although you are not even a proven senior...a few months later you are voted young player of the year in the Netherlands and you have scored 9!! goals in your first season being only 18 years old. everything seems so easy, it's like you are in a film...you play on a high level and you are showing outstanding performances. suddenly things stop going smoothly (and Mitea never experienced hard times in his career before that...) you get some nasty injuries which just don't want to go away, and every time you think you will play soon again you get injured again or the old injury comes back...has to be frustrating if you are not used to such periods and living far away from home, still young and unexperienced in life....and then comes the depression, papers, people (even on the streets i guess, in your face) and xtratime users p talk bad about you and how you screwed everything...and you know the chance you lost, and maybe its not even your fault...but then its hard to motivate yourself and come back from such a low point....Mitea was probably not mentally strong enough, but not many would've been with so many injuries...in the end we can't say what happened and who's "fault" it is...things went bad and that's it...
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2014, 16:10 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Some players didn't screw their careers; they were just unlucky.

A good example is M. Roman. He was adapting quite nicely to Toulouse when he got injured for 9 months. He hasn't regained form.

Most of our players fail terrible abroad... Hell, Grozav couldn't even play for Terek Groznyi... I think he's a case of what NoName is thinking about... failed abroad twice, terribly...
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2014, 16:29
International

well said noname.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2014, 19:07
World Class Player

The Grozav case was to be expected...also i can't say it enough, hugely overrated player.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2014, 08:07
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestasuceava View Post
Really? I've thought this for a long time, although I've become more aware of it lately.

It's not that they're all bad, but that they all 'underperform' somehow.

Right now, the only exception I see is Dragos Grigore.
I knew it happened to many, but not to most of them. Now it is an exception if they do well abroad, even at not so high levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
also we maybe saw potential/talent in players where there wasn't any, when you are young one good goal or one good dribbling is enough to be the new Hagi....
That is of course a factor, but not all the cases fit there. From the guys I mentioned above most have real talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
The Grozav case was to be expected...also i can't say it enough, hugely overrated player.
I disagree, the talent is there, but as usual, his mentality is shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqh0YcirTCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpLqHUETfFw
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2014, 13:45
Xtratime Legend

Teams: România, Viitorul Constanta
This is not a surprise for people who lived in Romania or people who emigrated from Romania. These footballers were shaped by a particular matrix. You could write a book about Romanian mentality, but it goes a bit like this:

- External factors play a huge part in everything that happens (luck, superstition, a good or punitive God or several other supernatural factors). Without these factors, you cannot succeed even if you are talented and work hard.
- "Romanians are inferior to others because _____" (You fill in the blank). Romanians truly believe that they are inferior and will often use excuses for this. (Not having the German mentality or organization, the Brazilians' finely tuned ankle, the Africans' speed, the Argentinians' technique, the Americans' will & power, etc.)
- Romanians are almost bipolar in terms of being constant. One day they can do wonderful things while the other they humiliate themselves. Moreover, they live day by day, meaning when they do great things they're the best, while when they humiliate themselves they're the worst.
- Romanians have a certain desire to give up (football, studies, leading a certain life).
- Romanians are highly emotional without, nevertheless, expressing these emotions too much. This can lead to outbursts (like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V614MLdC59k ).
- A constant fear ("What if...?", fear of failure, fear of success, fear of fear, so on so forth).

Living around Romanians is a long stretch of stereotypes and excuses.

The few Bulgarians that I met were very similar as well. It could be due to the way that part of the world was shaped.

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS

Last edited by Lupi; September 28th, 2014 at 23:42.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2014, 14:25
World Class Player

Isn't it also superstitious to believe that all Romanians are like this, showing a little bit of your points in yourself...
i mean there are surely exceptions, not every German is punctual...i'm Hungarian but you described me perfectly in some parts p
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2014, 17:17
Ilie Balaci ❤
World Class Player

Maybe it's because I was born and raised in Canada (with the exception of some months spent in Romania), but I'm not like (pretty much) any of those things (nor is my father, who came here to evade such a society). I work hard and I am passionate, and as you all know, am far from believing Romanians are inferior maybe that is why I would succeed over there. We'll see in 2-3 years..

But I agree, a lot of Romanians are held back by such ideas and an inferiority complex/mentality. But I can also see a change in some of the younger generations, at least in football, and many thanks to Burleanu's work.

U Craiova

Quote:
O iubire alb-albastra
La Craiova e mereu!
----------------Lung
-----------------Mutu

Last edited by Hagibest; September 28th, 2014 at 17:22.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2014, 18:31 Thread Starter
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupi View Post

- External factors play a huge part in everything that happens (luck, superstition, a good or punitive God or several other supernatural factors). Without these factors, you cannot succeed even if you are talented and work hard.
I think you nailed it. Such a shame.

Next time someone says "sa te-ajute Dumnezeu" I'll say "mai bine sa m-ajut singur"

I do think we do better in yellow than in red, though
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2014, 18:55
International

nice post lups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in