Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2008, 09:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Romania
Romania

ELO Rating: 11th
FIFA Ranking: 12th

Head coach: Victor Piturca (Romania) since December 2004.

Our opponents:

France

ELO Rating: 8th
FIFA Ranking: 10th

Head coach: Raymond Domenech (France) since 12 July 2004.

Serbia

ELO Rating: 39th
FIFA Ranking: 35th

Head coach: Miroslav Đukić (Serbia) since 25 December 2007.

Lithuania

ELO Rating: 68th
FIFA Ranking: 59th

Head coach: Algimantas Liubinskas (Lithuania) since 2003.

Austria

ELO Rating: 62nd
FIFA Ranking: 105th

Head coach: Karel Brückner (Czechia) since July 2008.

Faroe Islands

ELO Rating: 173rd
FIFA Ranking: 195th

Head coach: Jógvan Martin Olsen (Faroe Islands) since 2005.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2008, 09:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

August 20th friendlies:

Sweden - France
Romania - Latvia
Lithuania - Moldova
Austria - Italy (in Nice, France)
Portugal - Faroe Islands

It seems Serbia will not play a friendly on August 20th, as Miroslav Đukić also manages the Olympic team - playing in Group A at the 2008 Olympics.

First matchday:

September 6th, 2008

Austria - France
Serbia - Faroe Islands
Romania - Lithuania

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2008, 12:51
Xtratime Legend

Teams: România, Viitorul Constanta
If the Serbs don't play on the 20th, they'll make a mistake. You always need a rehearsal.

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2008, 17:46
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania, River Plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
Since there's no official thread...
Well we didn´t think it was important
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2008, 00:33
International

Teams: FK Partizan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupi View Post
If the Serbs don't play on the 20th, they'll make a mistake. You always need a rehearsal.
Tell that to our FA:rollani:

Napred Partizan! Napred Srbija!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2008, 05:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

Lithuania coach quits to launch political career: link.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2008, 11:35
Xtratime Legend

Teams: România, Viitorul Constanta
It is rumored Piturca wants to do the same

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2008, 12:09 Thread Starter
Star Player

Romania - Latvia: Discuss.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2008, 22:45
Rising Star

Teams: Romania, Steaua Bucuresti
Overall, I like our chances. Since only the first place is guaranteed a spot at the World Cup, it will be much harder to qualify than for the Euro. However, I really think our schedule is a plus as we have two 'easy' games to begin with (where we can start off with 6 points and settle well) and have an easy game to finish with (if we need a guaranteed 3 points by then).

Plus, now that we've overtaken France in the FIFA rankings, it must mean we're the favourites. :smileani:

In terms of coming in first, i'd say we have at least an equal chance as France to win the group.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2008, 23:30
Forum Manager
Legend

Well France is currently worst than us, but Domenech will be gone soon and then thay have a much bigger potential than us, specially if Piturca doesn´t wake up. We´ll soon be able to have one of the best defences in the world but upfront the situation is alarming.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 01:19
Premier Player

Romanians have not seen their country at a FIFA World Cup for a decade, and if the current squad want a ticket to South Africa in 2010 they will have to emerge victorious from one of the qualifying round's most challenging groups.

Tough group
Romania finished above the Netherlands to get to UEFA EURO 2008™, before a defeat by the Oranje ended their campaign in the group phase in Austria and Switzerland. However, to earn a trip to South Africa, Victor Piţurcă's side must not only get the better of another EURO opponent, France, but also of Serbia and Austria, not to mention Lithuania and the Faroe Islands this Saturday and next Wednesday respectively.

Ambition
Piţurcă picked out France as "big favourites" in the section, but denied that his team would merely be aiming for a play-off spot by finishing runners-up behind Les Bleus. "We will fight for first place," insisted the 52-year-old, whose charges drew 0-0 with France in their opening game at June's UEFA European Championship. "In this sense, it is the same situation as in qualification for EURO 2008. The Netherlands were the big favourites, we seemed to be challenging more for second place, but in the end we came first. Why shouldn't it happen again?"

Absentees
Romania's footballing star is in the ascendancy with two clubs, CFR 1907 Cluj and FC Steaua Bucureşti, having reached the UEFA Champions League group stage – and Cluj's CFR Stadium will stage Saturday's visit of Lithuania. However, Romania be without Cristian Chivu, Adrian Mutu and Răzvan Raţ through injury, while winger Florentin Petre has been omitted for logistical reasons. Because Petre played for FC Terek Grozny at FC Luch-Energia Vladivostok last Sunday, it was decided the trip from the far east of Russia would leave him too tired to be fully fit.

Collective force
Despite the absentees, Piţurcă sounded confident his side's collective force could compensate for the loss of any individual. "I have stated several times that our team must not rely on one, two or three players. Our main strength has to be the unit, because at any given time one player or another could be missing. Now we are in just such a situation, and we will have to overcome it and take all six points from our first two matches to ease the pressure before our third game against France."

EURO experience
Though a brief appearance, Piţurcă felt his side's participation in Austria and Switzerland – their first major tournament in eight years – would stand them in good stead for the World Cup qualifiers. "The experience gained at the EURO is very useful," he said. "For me and for almost all the players, this was the first big championship of our careers. We played very well in the first two matches, [draws against] France and Italy, and it's a pity we couldn't convert our chances in the last group game against Holland. However, we proved our ability and now, even without four key players, we have to keep on trying to improve ourselves."

UEFA.COM
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 02:03
Forum Manager
Legend

That article quotes some optimist statements from Piturca, but i´ve read some other where he says that Lithuania is on our same level and that Serbia is above us, let alone France. Sometimes i´m under the impression that he evaluates a team judging by the club of their players, instead of looking at facts like us being above of France in the Euro and Serbia not qualifying.

And his tactics of course support the idea that he sees our team as clearly inferior to the big ones.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 08:41
Rising Star

Teams: Romania, Steaua Bucuresti
Well, if he actually said those things about Lithuania, Serbia and France in comparision to us he's an idiot, no doubt. To say Lithuania being the same level as us is truly incomprehensible.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2008, 11:55
World Class Player

Teams: Romania forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionesei View Post
"The experience gained at the EURO is very useful," he said. "For me and for almost all the players, this was the first big championship of our careers. We played very well in the first two matches, [draws against] France and Italy, and it's a pity we couldn't convert our chances in the last group game against Holland. However, we proved our ability and now, even without four key players, we have to keep on trying to improve ourselves."

UEFA.COM
yeah, right :rollani: that was the reason why we didn't make it: we couldn't convert all! our chances we had this day...
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:24
Forum Manager
Legend

Some very positive signs ahead of the game vs France:

- Chivu is back and played 90 minutes.

- Mutu is back and already scored and assisted in the 2 games he played.

- Marica returned on sunday and scored.

- Szekely and Nicolita are back and in good form. Szekely is probably the offensive player that Piturca is more likely to add to the team, and a potential solution for the right wing, and Banel is probably starting against France so him being in top form is the best we can ask for at the moment.

- Rat was in the bench in Shakthar´s CL game, don´t know if he played yet but at least he is elegible again.

At least this alone makes the NT much stronger than in the first 2 horrible games.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2008, 22:27
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Yes... I agree. However, remember the game against Holland. With this team, we should take a serious option for the three points... But we never know.

Here is my team (one that could actually be on the pitch; my real dream is completely different)

Lobont-Ogararu,Goian,Chivu,Rat-Radoi,Lazar-Nicolita,Dica,Mutu-Marica
with reserves: Tatarusanu,Stancioiu-Contra,Sapunaru,Moti,Radu-Codrea,Szekely,Aliuta-Bratu,Costea.

In case of injuries: Bornescu, Sepsi, Ghionea, Maftei, Ghioane, Mara, Onofras, Danciulescu.

Note the large amount of MFs (6). Piti would never have more than 3. However, I did not include players Piti has no chance of calling in the first 22.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2008, 22:51
World Class Player

Teams: Romania forever
why do you prefer Ogararu to Contra/Sapunaru?

Ghioane is nevertheless completely unrealistic....even if we would have 15 injuries...

this would be my (realistic) team, I'd go for experience against France although i would like to see Szekely from the beginning but this is not the time for experiments:

Lobont

Sapunaru - Goian - Chivu - Rat

Radoi - Lazar

Contra - Dica - Mutu

Marica

looks like a good team...i don't trust at the moment in Tamas, he's unsecure. Nicolita is also a good option instead of Contra right now.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2008, 23:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
Tamas is in bad form.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2008, 23:38
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Why Ogararu? Well, I'm not sure... Experience, I guess. And I didn't like how Sapunaru played... He can grow, though, and he'd get the spot. But Ogararu can do it for now. He actually plays, as opposed to two months ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in