Comfort - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 04:04 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: România, Viitorul Constanta
Comfort

What comforts you when things go badly with your team, when your team is eliminated, when your team does not make it to a tournament or an important goal? Discuss.

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 07:10
Rising Star

Teams: Romania, any club with Romanians, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupi View Post
What comforts you when things go badly with your team, when your team is eliminated, when your team does not make it to a tournament or an important goal? Discuss.
A good cursing at the team on tv. Then grabbing the keys to your car and driving with complete silence until finally coming around to realize that the players are just not worth getting pissed off over. So yeah thats what I did right after the 2nd goal was scored today. But I got some nice comfort from the people at work cause they know I'm a diehard and all I would talk about is the tournament. Then pretty girls at work also help ease the pain. But really this tourney is gonna take a long time to get over. My friend came and picked me up today and we were store wandering and we ended up at a soccer store and this guy was amazed with my knowledge about the tournament and the guy practically offered me a job there. But it didnt comfort me when his dumbass coworker asked us if I saw Mutu's missed penalty, that immediately eliminated any chances of me working there. So now a lot of family time too will ease the pain but all we will talk about is the tournament p Then theres music. Football disappointments is the worst for me to get over because a big tourney only comes twice a year, or every 8 years if you're a Romanian, so its tough. But then I have comfort when I read what you guys have to say, cause I still everyday read on this forum and your comments just seriously make my day when I have doubts or questions. I really need to post more often. But I think I might take a break from football cause this touranment got the best of me emotionally. I felt like a tsunami hit me after the italy game, and then today just still in shock. But as Piti said, "life goes on."
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 09:28
Premier Player

Teams: Newcastle United
This song...listened to it after the US went out and today after Romania went out. Catches the sentiment exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj7dEkMoPws

Romania Romania Ole Ole Ole

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 16:05 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

I usually take long walks in parks, stare at the sky on the roof of my building (like Spiderman ). This time I asked a friend of mine to find me a package for a vacation, I wanna take off as soon as possible.

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 17:54
Premier Player

Teams: Romania
I'm more annoyed that we gave up like Dinamo did against Lazio, when we had so much potential...but seriously, a little prophylaxis goes a long way to not suffering too much. It is hard, but I think a little detachment is very important. Don't invest too much emotionally in football. It is something outside your control, and why attach your sense of happiness or self worth, in any way, to something that is out of your control...very unwise.

Have a good laugh about it, say "oh well, better luck next time" and that's it. Don't attach your happiness, or even your country's (or your own) sense of honor to this.

At the end of the day guys, this is just a game where grown men kick a round object around a pitch of grass.

If you choose otherwise, and attach your happiness to various football results, then you'll live the retched and pathetic existence of a crazed fan who's happiness and sense of self worth is attached to something totally beyond his control...and that my friends is a recipe for an emotional roller-coster that isn't good for the soul or mind. Been there and done that, and it ain't worth it, truly.

Hai Xtratime Romanian Football Forum!
And Cheer Up and CHOOSE to be HAPPY!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 18:35
International

Teams: Universitatea Craiova
What comforted me was that our supporters behaved themselves and represented us so nicely. They have earned a new reputation.

FORZA ȘTIINȚA
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 20:27
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano, FC Rangers
It is disappointing, but you can take heart that you held France and Italy to draws, and should have won against Italy.

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER GIACINTO FACCHETTI, LEGEND OF THE INTERNAZIONALE AND ITALIAN GAME
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 20:27 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
I'm more annoyed that we gave up like Dinamo did against Lazio, when we had so much potential...but seriously, a little prophylaxis goes a long way to not suffering too much. It is hard, but I think a little detachment is very important. Don't invest too much emotionally in football. It is something outside your control, and why attach your sense of happiness or self worth, in any way, to something that is out of your control...very unwise.

Have a good laugh about it, say "oh well, better luck next time" and that's it. Don't attach your happiness, or even your country's (or your own) sense of honor to this.

At the end of the day guys, this is just a game where grown men kick a round object around a pitch of grass.

If you choose otherwise, and attach your happiness to various football results, then you'll live the retched and pathetic existence of a crazed fan who's happiness and sense of self worth is attached to something totally beyond his control...and that my friends is a recipe for an emotional roller-coster that isn't good for the soul or mind. Been there and done that, and it ain't worth it, truly.

Hai Xtratime Romanian Football Forum!
And Cheer Up and CHOOSE to be HAPPY!

Very wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunarul View Post
What comforted me was that our supporters behaved themselves and represented us so nicely. They have earned a new reputation.
True. Our fans were among the best.

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 22:25
Premier Player

Quote:
Very wise.

True. Our fans were among the best.

Thanks, after the WC2002, EC2004, WC2006 disappointments I think that we all learned a few things, out of necessity

And our fans were truly great!

edited: apparently my math skills have been affected by this elimination...I think it is called "suppression"

thanks for setting me straight Lupi

Hai Romania!

Last edited by DacoRoman; June 19th, 2008 at 04:26.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2008, 01:22 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

As a matter of fact, failing to qualify for 2002, 2004 and 2006 made me deal better with being eliminated at this Euro. It's true when they say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2008, 03:35
Premier Player

made me deal worse, its like waiting 8 years for your team to finally make it but then they play so bad when they finally have a good chance.

Last edited by Arionesei; June 19th, 2008 at 04:43.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2008, 04:26
Premier Player

Quote:
As a matter of fact, failing to qualify for 2002, 2004 and 2006 made me deal better with being eliminated at this Euro. It's true when they say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
yes the harsh realities of life forces a certain level of maturity! (p.s. see my edit above )
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2008, 07:41
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania, River Plate
Quote:
yes the harsh realities of life forces a certain level of maturity! (p.s. see my edit above )
Clearly we as fans learned a lot from those failures.

But let me share my view on the topic Lupi posted. The first thing i do is think about the future. I always find some things that can happen to make us stronger for the next time, like the young talents we have and the experience we gained.

The second thing is the general attitude i took considering football. I realized long ago not that failures were not so bad, but the opposite, that successes could not provide me with a general state of happyness. They are great and i enjoy them, but then i need other things to feel good in the long run. So from that i understand that bad things can´t be so bad either.

So what i do is that when there is a footballing event i become a child for a few hours (or days like in this EURO), i try to enjoy it fully, and whatever the result is i remind myself afterwards that there are a lot of more important things, like love, family and the contribution i want to make to other people´s lives.

That being said, i´m grateful for this tournament cause it made me very happy for the last month, i got very excited waiting for it, ienjoyed the games incredibly and celebrated Lobont´s saves, Goian´s tackles and Mutu´s goal like few times before in my life. I cried with the anthem and with the spirit of the team in the first 2 games.

And now, i can´t wait for the beginning of the WC qualifying, because the romanian National Team is a unique feeling.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2008, 08:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Very well said Rumaniac. You're battling with DacoRoman for the wisest guy in this thread.

"Strength and honor"
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2008, 23:47
Premier Player

Quote:
Very well said Rumaniac. You're battling with DacoRoman for the wisest guy in this thread.
no battle, just different pieces for the Grand Mosaic that is life ..how's that for melodramatic
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2008, 16:19
PMC
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

what comforts me when romania is losing is the fact that I'm a boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itidLk5Dd3k

^ a world without romania

I support: Romania, romanian teams in europe, Rapid Vienna

the most accurate Pro Evolution stats in the World!

I'm a Rapper and WWE Forum Manager

http://www.myspace.com/pemcee
NEW SONGS UP @ 07.01.08 = turkish, romanian, german and english hip hop
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2008, 22:50
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
what comforts me when romania is losing is the fact that I'm a boss
Large and in Charge?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2008, 22:56
PMC
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Large and in Charge?
the boss accepts no loss p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itidLk5Dd3k

^ a world without romania

I support: Romania, romanian teams in europe, Rapid Vienna

the most accurate Pro Evolution stats in the World!

I'm a Rapper and WWE Forum Manager

http://www.myspace.com/pemcee
NEW SONGS UP @ 07.01.08 = turkish, romanian, german and english hip hop
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:23
International

Get slammed with your friends and enjoy mocking the losers of the next game

PS Rumaniac is the MAN - if you ever go to some games they will do a news article about you. They will call you Gica Aguero

Tricolor pina la moarte!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2008, 13:12
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania, River Plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipsE View Post
Get slammed with your friends and enjoy mocking the losers of the next game

PS Rumaniac is the MAN - if you ever go to some games they will do a news article about you. They will call you Gica Aguero

I´m waiting for Romania to come to Argentina again someday. If it doesn´t happen i´ll have to save to go to South Africa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in