A place to dream: The search for the missing link - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 10:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania, River Plate
A place to dream: The search for the missing link

We are 5 months away from the Euro, and i think this can be the place to discuss and follow those players that could bring that extra magic to our team, that X factor that could bring us to the next level. As GICA said killing our hopesp , it´s hard to imagine many surprises, but hope dies last and Piturca seems to be open to at least a couple of new players. So here´s the rundown of what i think we need and which players could be able to bring it to the team:

Goalkeeper

What we need: We are fine, possibly a tall keeper would be a good third option to Lobont and Coman.

Players to beat: Popa, Bornescu.

The candidates:

-Ciprian Tatarusanu: Would only be third keeper but would be good to give him the experience for the future. He still mixes mistakes with miraculous saves.

Defence

What we need:Possibly a faster and more agile option to Goian and Tamas given that Chivu will play in midfield, and a backup for Rat.

Players to beat: The rest are pretty much even.

The candidates:

-Mirel Radoi, Sepsi, Sapunaru: Radoi would be a different kind of CD for some given moments, Sepsi is good cause he can cover other positions too.

Defensive midfield

What we need: Someone that can naturally organize the game, and someone who does both the defensive and the offensive part. Chivu has a little bit of both, but he is the only one in the current squad.

Players to beat: O.Petre, Codrea, Margaritescu.

The candidates:

-Costin Lazar

Pros: Great with the ball, one of the best assisters and organizers we have

Cons: Physically weak, injury prone, not experienced internationally.

-Tiberiu Ghioane

Pros:A very complete player. Technical, good passer, can score and is very good defending. NT experience and a lot of CL experience.

Cons:Out of the NT circuit for a long time, for some reason overlooked by Piturca.

-Mihaita Plesan

Pros: Altough not a defensive midfielder, he runs and defends quite a bit, and would suit the formation specially when playing with the 3 DM formation. Good dribbler, technical able to score, strong and good with headers. He is considered by Piturca.

Cons: Injury prone and coming from a long absence. Not great at defending, Irregular in his form and little international experience.

Offensive midfield:

What we need: Talent. The kind of player that can join Mutu in the creative part, hold the ball and give assists. Dica is able to do it, but he has his cons too. He hasn´t convinced Piturca that he deserves a starting spot. On the right part of the midfield, well, we need everything. Nicolita´s lack of creativity and Petre´s huge physical weakness make that our weakest spot.

Players to beat: Nicolita, Petre, Cocis.

The candidates:

-Ianis Zicu

Pros: Fantastic technique, dribble and flair. Able to assist and score a good amount too. The one closer to Piturca´s consideration.

Cons: Slow, doesn´t do the defensive part, and his problem with missed chances.

-Alin Stoica

Pros: Fantastic organizer, perfect to set the tempo of our midfield. Pure creativity. Good international experience, was already called by Piturca.

Cons: His club situation brings doubts, Poli is a new chance to show his worth. It´s a mystery how he would perform at the highest level now.

- Adrian Cristea

Pros: Increasing form, great technique, creativity and shot. Can still grow. The one with the most recent callups.

Cons: Dissapears from long periods of the game, hasn´t showed his best level in Europe yet. Didn´t get many chances in his callups so far.

- Lucian Sanmartean

Pros: Fantastic technique and dribbling, is showing his level on a good league.

Cons: His long absence, injury prone, doesn´t score much. Doesn´t seem to be in Piti´s consideration.

Right midfield/ attack:

- Florin Costea

Pros: Excellent on one on one´s, fast, creative, a true winger. Can also score a good amount for his position. Can also evolve a lot.

Cons: Doesn´t get involved much in the game and in the defensive aspect. Still very irregular, inexperienced on a high level. Plays for Craiovap :smileani:

- Gabriel Torje

Pros: Great skill, dribbling and speed. Good shot and crosses. He has a great attitude on the field too. Huge potential.

Cons: Needs much more experience, as he hasn´t started a lot for his team. His physique is not great, altough he is strong. Doesn´t score much either.

Attack

What we need: Someone that could replace Mutu if he is absent, altough Dica or Zicu could do it. A pure goalscorer would also be important.

Players to beat: Mazilu, Bucur, S.Radu, Bratu.

The candidates:

-Nicolae Mitea

Pros: Would be a great replacement for Mutu. Great dribbling, speed and ability to score. Good experience.

Cons: Awful club situation, it´s hard to imagine him getting back in form in time.

-Marius Niculae

Pros: Great Strenght, shot and sense for scoring, with a good technique. NT experience.

Cons: Plays in a weak league, hasn´t been in form for a while, we´ll see about his current good moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 10:18
International

Teams: Universitatea Craiova
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumaniac
Plays for Craiovap :smileani:
That's an advantage

FORZA ȘTIINȚA
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 11:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
Interesting report. I agree in all he says.

One of the things I fear the most is our slow centre backs. They did quite well in the qualifiers (esp. vs Holland), but we need faster options there for some concrete games.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 13:05
World Class Player

Teams: Romania forever
i couldn't have said it any better Rumaniac (really p )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GICA
One of the things I fear the most is our slow centre backs. They did quite well in the qualifiers (esp. vs Holland), but we need faster options there for some concrete games.
this is dependent on how our def. midfield does. if they do their job, Goian and Tamas will be fine...if not we could have real problems. i'm not worried at all about this. we just need 2-3 better midfielders (like already
mentioned) and hope that Mutu/Chivu (the rest of the squad too of course) stay injury free until/during the Euro...i have only real hopes for Ghioane... Stoica and especially Sanmartean won't make it. i could imagine that one of these 2, Nicolita or Fl. Petre, won't make the squad because together with Cocis we have already 3! RMs...it would be great if Piturca would drop one of these 2 players for a creative player like Stoica, we really miss a player like him...and together with Zicu and Mutu we would have more than enough creativity.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 16:09
PMC
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GICA
Interesting report. I agree in all he says.

what makes you believe that Tamas is that damn slow? he used to play RB and did quite okay there

and pairing Tamas and Goian means our defense will be deep anyways... it will make it difficult to make the game upfront but we shouldn't forget that we have 2 natural centerbacks possibly as Dms in Chivu and Radoi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itidLk5Dd3k

^ a world without romania

I support: Romania, romanian teams in europe, Rapid Vienna

the most accurate Pro Evolution stats in the World!

I'm a Rapper and WWE Forum Manager

http://www.myspace.com/pemcee
NEW SONGS UP @ 07.01.08 = turkish, romanian, german and english hip hop
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 16:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: FC Barcelona, România
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC
what makes you believe that Tamas is that damn slow? he used to play RB and did quite okay there

and pairing Tamas and Goian means our defense will be deep anyways... it will make it difficult to make the game upfront but we shouldn't forget that we have 2 natural centerbacks possibly as Dms in Chivu and Radoi
I saw him here at Celta and with the NT, and he´s not fast. Maybe not so slow as Goian, but slow after all.

He played as RB at Galatasaray, but it´s clear that´s not his position.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 16:55
Rising Star

Teams: Romania, Sverige, RAIDERZ, Oakland A's
I think our D is fine, consisting of:

Oga/Contra---Tamas--Goian---Rat/Sepsi

with Radoi and Chivu in front or using them in a different combination in the back line gives us depth and flexibility. Ghioane is also another alternative at DM. Then, we could even drop Chivu as a CB if need be.

If we compact our team and try to shorten the field then Goian and Tamas shouldn't have to worry about a footrace with Henry and co. This is fine because IMO a defensive strategy plays more to our strengths, even on attack. It also hides some weaknesses, namely speed at the back.

To me, Radoi is key. If he is healthy playing alongside Chivu as the other DM is ideal. Essentially we'll be playing with 4 CB's, with the two more technical ones playing in front. O. Petre and Codrea are alright. They played well enough in qualifying, but the EURO is a different level. I would prefer Radoi over them any day.

I believe Dica has proven himself to start in the playmaker role. His vision and speed of play (mental) is exactly what we need in that role. He combines well with Mutu, and is a proven scorer.

RM is a bit tricky. But remember, this is not a traditional RM in a 442 so we can be creative. I wouldn't be opposed to having Mitea on the right, though he's left footed. Maybe drop D. Niculae in that role. Also, I would forsure bring Torje on the team. He needs the experience of being at a major tournament, along with Stancu, because they are the future. Torje could actually prove useful in the last 15-20 min. of the game. One thing I wouldn't do is settle for F. Petre playing on the right.

M. Niculae is an intriguing player. He may be a good alternative to Marica . A target player with excellent physique and one hellova left foot. Also, the Scottish league isn't as bad as some of you think. It's a good place for him to recover form, become even more physical and utilize his strengths, and we need someone who can manhandle defenders.

All this is important. We need more depth. To me, if healthy we can field an 11 that can beat anyone. But that is a big IF. Every position has to have competition and someone who can step in and be productive. Can't wait to see this unfold. Hai Romania!

Last edited by Adeezy14; January 16th, 2008 at 17:00.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 17:07
World Class Player

well, that's the job of our 2-3 def. midfielders to make sure that our backline doesn't get exposed!

the goalkeeper position, defense and attack are just fine (i'm just a little bit worried that Marica could miss a lot of chances). the midfield is our big problem and the only thing Piturca has to find solutions because apart from Chivu nobody there is totally convincing to me...
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 17:14
World Class Player

Radoi and Chivu sounds good to me...if in form, Stoica is the best solution for our "RM" position, he isn't too offensive and can dictate a game, make it more slow if needed or make our game faster. he could be our director in midfield!
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 17:49
Rising Star

Teams: Romania, Sverige, RAIDERZ, Oakland A's
Oh, no doubt Stoica would be ideal. I just hope he gets enough playing time so that Piti would use him. Another possibility would be to have Zicu as playmaker and put Dica out wide. I agree with you about Marica as well. He is so streaky, that's why we need depth at that position.

Mutu can play target so there is always that option. But then who? D. Niculae, M. Niculae, Keseru, Stancu? Any other suggestions?

Well I guess that's pretty deep. But it all comes down to preferences. Whoever is in most form gets the nod from me.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 18:04
World Class Player

i would still play with Marica in the starting formation because he has a lot of unique qualities nobody else can offer (just think about in how many goals in qualification/friendlies he was involved) + i'm sure he has the potential to score a lot of goals with a little bit more self confidence and experience. it's not such a big deal because we have one true goalscorer (Mutu) and almost everybody else can score goals in our team, even the defenders. we aren't too dependent on his goals.

Zicu, Dica and Mutu won't play at the same time, too offensive (especially for Piturca). Zicu could be useful coming on at the end of games to give us something special and surprising if we need a goal or can't break the defense of our opponents. Stoica is more realistic to start (IF he finds his form and gets a call up) because he's a more complete player who can help the defense more than Zicu.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2008, 19:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Marica has to start, but a more traditional striker will be needed at some point. Marica is not the players you can send crosses to and expect him to score. Daniel Niculae is scoring in a tugh league, a lot from headers, and that´s great cause we´ll be down in the score at some point and will need that. But Marius Niculae would be the ideal man for that job. Mazilu or Sergiu Radu are good at that too, but technically inferior.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 01:21
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Players in the current squad that IMO are not good enough for the EUROs:

Mostly Fl Petre, Nicolita, Ov Petre, Codrea. The middle two have a plus in experience (CL).

The system will undoubtedly be 4-3-3. I think the back line is certain except RB. Ogararu has a huge chance though to confirm himself as starter.
The midfield should consist of Radoi and Chivu, as well as Lazar. Lazar will get called for the match with Israel; he played against Turkey, did he not? Ghioane could work, and is strong mentally, just right for tough matches.
Mutu and Marica are fixed. Our opponents also have some slow CBs, so Marica has a good shot to make a killing. RAM, this is where we die. Cocis or Zicu, perhaps even Dica. Not Nicolita, because he is just not good enough against Ned, Ita, Fra. Although I have this feeling...
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 01:22
PMC
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Nicolita is a weirdo...

I agree with you on Codrea though... although he works hard he has little qualities

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 01:59
World Class Player

when will the squad for the Israel game be announced? this will be very interesting and already a little indication which plans Piturca has in his mind....we will see if he wants some changes and who is fixed and who possibly not.
i think Dorinel played against Turkey but not Lazar.
i would be already very pleased if Fl. Petre stays at home, Ov. Petre and Codrea are fixed 100%. the latter 2 can be atleast a little bit useful and deserve it after playing the whole qualification and being a part of our success (even if most of us aren't satisfied with them).
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 02:08
PMC
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

it'd be unfair to exclude Codrea....

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 03:14
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC
Nicolita is a weirdo...

I agree with you on Codrea though... although he works hard he has little qualities
Codrea's quality is indeed his work ethic. It would be unfair to exclude him as he was a constant presence in the NT. I'm not sure I'd pick him for the WCQ though.

Lazar played for 25 minutes vs Turkey. Dorinel played a whole half.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 03:19
PMC
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Codrea plays his heart out in every game definately... generally he outperforms himself because he usually is somebody to pass the ball around and such but for Romania he does the dirty work and fights for every ball

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 04:11
World Class Player

he has also quite a good shot...i'm not sure either if i would consider him for the WCQ, max. as a sub but all in all we have better midfielders than him.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 06:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

I watched Codrea closely the other day against Inter. He is very good with passes (with both legs) and he steals a good amount of balls, but physically he is weak, offensively he doesn´t do much and in the end he doen´t have a big influence in the game. He is a good player but that´s it. I think we can do better, at least for the starters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in