I was reading about this interesting match - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2012, 13:21 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
I was reading about this interesting match

Canada have only qualified for the World Cup once in their history, in 1986. They were drawn in a group alongside France - featuring the famed "magic square" of Platini, Giresse, Tigana and Fernandez - and also Hungary and the Soviets.

I didn't see any of this as at the time I was a baby and in any case it would be a while before I'd develop any interest towards the sport.

Still, I was wondering - I read about Canada's first ever match at the WC and reportedly they were only 10 minutes away from denying France victory before their goalkeeper misjudged a cross, allowing Papin to score in the 80th minute or so. It finished 1-0.

Canada are football minnows, pretty amazing effort against such a great team.

Did anyone see this game or else remember it? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; June 14th, 2012 at 13:29.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2012, 23:00
Star Player

Hey, sorry I couldn't read your name there. I was a little too young to comprehend much of what happened in that tournament but over the years there have been replay's and several reports of Canada's involvement during that competition.

The 1986 World Cup was a unique tournament for Canadian football as this was and is the only time Canada ever qualified for a world cup. A team that was mostly made up of players from the now and then defunct NASL.

Much of the local Mexican and French media thought this was going to be a stroll in the park for Les Bleus and I'm sure most Canadians would have agreed:smileani:.

The "magic square" was still an influential formation for the french as they would prove during the tourney, but they were also in the twilight of their career's. Also worth mentioning was the rising star striker and future Ballon D'or winner, Jean-Pierre Papin.

The Canadian's gave a good fight and held a compact defense, but the French eventually cracked the Canadian D with the aforementioned striker scoring in the 80th minute. Canada would end up losing both of their following matches against Hungary and the Soviets but it was still a major accomplishment and a moral victory for Canadian football. Half of those Canadian players stayed within the game many year's later at some level.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2012, 06:42
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
If Montreal Impact is paying in the MLS, they will surely breed some new players for the NT ? Or will they just play some oldies ?

I will look for Youtube videos...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2012, 07:46
Star Player

Canada now has three professional team's in the MLS, the Montreal impact, Toronto FC and the Vancouver white caps. This is a huge building block for Canadian soccer. Currently with the team it's a mix of veteran's and budding prospect's but our main focus is a lack in depth for upcoming talent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in