So, what now ? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 06:56 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
So, what now ?

That's probably a bit too soon to open a let's rebuilt the France NT now thread but anyway :

Thuram stop, Makelele aswell, Sagnol probably. What about Henry, Coupet ?
  • Who to lead the team as a coach ?
  • How do you see the team for next september ?
  • How do you see the team in 2 years (2010) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 08:00
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
the new France is going to be great, you have loads of good youngsters, use them FFS.

I'd get rid of everyone over 30.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 08:30
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: FRANCE
Next coach: Deschamp

Team in september:

------------------Mandanda------------------
---Clerc-----Mexes------Gallas--------Evra---
--------------Toulalan-----------------------
---------------------Flamini-----------------
----Nasri-------------------------Ribery------
------------Benzema--------Ben Arfa---------

Team in 2 years:
Eliminated in 1/4 final of World Cup

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!! Avec vous dans la victoire comme dans la défaite!







post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 08:50
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Forza, Allez, Amunt
Where do I begin

Above all, we need to find someone who is competent in the driving seat. I really don't know who it should be, our standards are so low lately that even Domenech who came out of nowhere got a chance and he must have been the worst of them. It has to be someone with character, who has a vision of some kind, to get the players to move as a unit. I hate to say this, but we have something to learn from the Italians about this (even though they are completely fanatical about the national team coach and ready to stone him after one bad match).

Beyond that, we have a generation shift on our hands. Some players are being called just based on their past performance, that sends a very bad signal to everyone else. So the sooner we start the sooner we get it over with.

Coupet - Too old now, we need to find a goalkeeper who is around 30 (Landreau, Frey). I think he has been a bit unlucky, long in the shadow of Barthez and when it became his turn he made some mistakes. Not a bad performance, but not what we hoped for either.

Thuram - Thank you for everything. He should have been gone already some time ago, he's been sitting on the bench the past two years! Mexes should have replaced him sooner.

Sagnol - I don't mind him still being in the team. We don't have anyone who is a definite improvement. But he should not be starting based on his past, noone should.

Boumsong - He was never good enough.

Gallas - He's 30, he can have another 3-4 years depending on performance. Let's not repeat the mistake with Thuram, though.

Evra - His future is bright, since Monaco he has improved and we have the new Lizarazu finally.

Vieira - Only a newfound passion for football could convince me that he should still play. Like Thuram he's been a marginal player since Juventus.

Makelele - Too old, simple enough.

Malouda - He should not be a starter, win your place or gtfo.

Govou - Even though he too has been around "too long" I don't mind him. He's been a reserve all these years and on a good day he can be useful. Until someone else comes around that makes him obsolete...

Ribery - By all accounts he should be our new leader. It's up to the new coach to pick him (or someone else) for a role that is influential and has a heavy responsibility.

Anelka - Another historical player. They are only counter productive, because people (coaches included) remember what they used to be able to do rather than what they offer now. Get your career back on track or you're gone.

Henry - I'm sick of him. The last time he was a matchwinner for us was Euro2000. Since then, as the "top" forward who is expected to make a difference he has failed countless times, and especially when we needed it most. The notion of making him "the new leader" was stupid and didn't work. Scoring the only goal in this Euro is another confirmation. It isn't all his fault, it's when you expect too much from someone that this happens. It's kind of hard to argue that he should be dropped instantly, but either the new coach treats Henry as just another player on equal terms with the others, or he has to go for the good of the team. We can't have a player that causes the others to say "I know I didn't do anything, but I thought Henry would".

Trezeguet - He has been extremely ineffective. At the same time, his club career has been completely solid, and it doesn't take a genius to realize that a decent coach would have figured out how to let him reproduce that in the national team. Domenech publicly admitted that he has no clue and just dropped him, that was a rational decision from his point of view. But imagine if a coach had said the same thing about Zidane ("I don't care that he's the best, I don't know how to use him.") He's still only 30 and unlike Henry and Anelka his club career is NOT in decay.

La Juve? Lasciamo perdere.

Last edited by numerodix; June 18th, 2008 at 09:12.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 10:54
Premier Player

Teams: Italy_NT, Standard Liège, PAOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypno View Post

Team in september:

Team in 2 years:
great team, personally i would add jacques abondano too, as he had a great season, and brings experience to the team.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 11:01
Legend

Teams: Arsenal/France
Good post Martin.

I don't follow the French league so I really can't comment on how the future holds up but I just want France to get a decent enough coach.

How was Deschamps in his Juventus days, as a coach?

Zidane: The French Fabregas
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 11:16
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEEbz View Post
How was Deschamps in his Juventus days, as a coach?
Extremely uninspiring and uncreative. Granted it was Serie B and special circumstances, but still the team rarely peaked.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 11:21
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Take a break guys, have a kitkat or something. Enjoy life and eachother and leave football for what it is the next two years, then come back and take over Europe at the next EC.

That's what I'd suggest anyway.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 13:56
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypno View Post

Team in september:

Team in 2 years:

Clerc can't lace Sagna's boots.

and Diarra must play also.

also watch for Diaby this season, big one coming up from him.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 14:33
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Zizou for head coach.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 16:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Frey
Sagna - Mexes - Gallas - Evra
Diarra - Toulalan - Bodmer
Ribery - Nasri
Benzema

Flamini potentially for one of the 3 midfielders, and Ben Arfa potentially for Nasri.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 16:48
Rising Star

Teams: Marseille/Les bleus
And Valbuena on the bench.

Repose en paix.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 18:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

The coach : I believe will should get ridd of Domenech, eventhough his contract runs till 2010. I don't see how it could be otherwise anyway. He would certainly tried to justify his decision and stick with his bad choices just in order not to lose the face. Like a schoolboy who cross out his work, i would rather start with a new clean page. The guy got some pride and like to play with the journalist rather than concentrate on the team at time.

The new coach should someone with a load of character and personality in order to give the team some spirit, will and determination in games, some cohesion in the squad. What we obviously lacked for years without Zidane. Maybe we can not have a leader in the dressing room but at least if we could have one on the bench.And if it not too much asked someone who can make a tactical change in order to make any decisve impact on the game. Cause enough with Lemerre and Domenech...
Not really convinced with Deschamps, to be fair. But at least he follows the team closely.

The players : I agree with Numerodix that we should avoid these trend of players based on the really past performance with the NT. We had already some signal to worry about Henry, Thuram, Abidal, even Sagnol were all struggling with their respective club. We were the nation with the most of minutes played in Champions League cumulated last season. What gives a load of experience in big games.
We certainly have a pool of players big enough to perform and makean interesting squad.

Keepers : I am not sure Coupet should start the qualifying, probably Frey or Mandanda. Lloris will have big responsabity with Lyon run in champions league.

Right back : Despite my obvious bias against any Lyon players, Clerc did pretty good in the last game against Italia ( despite he was pretty much useless because no one bothered to try a long pass to change the play) and one of thoses preparating game.
We surely can not afford to forget Sagna, having a great season with Arsenal. Chimbonda could have a try aswell.

Left-Back : Evra is one thoses fews who have had a positive impact on the team during this Euro. A much better upgrade offensively speaking than Abidal who should improve if he does not to stay on the bench. Clichy should be considered for the future aswell. Don't worry much on that side of the defense, to be honest.

As center-back parternship : Gallas - Mexes should be the obvious choice for now. If at least it works. But then we lack a bit of quality to be honest.

We are loaded with promising defensive midfielders, and therefore i don't think we should stay with Vieira (plagued with Injury and still motivated enough). Makelele young retired, Toulalan is first name which come to mind, and he had an Ok tournament. Just do not try to ask him to be creative and make the decisive pass. But i think he is very good for longs ball if he use it. Then depends on how we play (2 Dm or not) a more gifted technically in dribbling could be associated with Jeremy. Diarra, Diaby are monsters. Flamini can run endlessly.

Then the offensive midfielders. Ribery is a must. But be have yet to find the place that fits him the most in the team. Probably on the left like with Bayern. We could associate him with my midget team : Nasri, Valbuena and Ben Arfa (but he gots to find a team where he can plays CL football and about 40 games per seasons, and that's not the case so far. That's why i say he is overated yet). I agree with N°10. that Malouda spot in the starting 11 should be considered if he doesn't improve and Govou as our eternal reserve player. We lack of speedy wingers though. Why not N'Zogbia aswell ? Maybe Gourcuff will recovers his Rennes's level with Bordeaux.

Finally, our strikers. Benzema can fits as lonely strikers so does Anelka but i wouldn't mind Trezeguet if we play a 4-4-2 with a competitive midfielders which can play high and not counter attacks only. I agree Henry is really frustrating when he stop the counter attacks and the team's fluidity by thoses kind of dribble while starting the ball stopped on his feets. He can dribble a player but most of the time the ball his stopped by a feet of one of the 6 or 7 players coming back to defend in the area.
Then i am not sure we will ever see Gomis again, but in the same style Cissé is alway close to make it.p I would rather have [And you can all laugh on me till he hasn't find a more prestigious club] Jimmy Briand who is really a hardworking guy and despite a awful finish can be interesting in the play.

The tactic :
Let's face it, our famous 4-2-3-1 can works against big teams relying on counter attacks but aboslutely sucks against teams which defends deep like us. That's why we struggling against the like of Scotland, Romania or even Lithuania. Our new coach should be able to work with a 4-4-2 with one Dm only. Can't say we haven't any players who can hold the ball, can we ?

So to sum it up :

4-5-1 :

Code:
Frey Sagna/Clerc Gallas Mexes Evra Toulalan Flamini Govou Nasri Ribery Benzema
4-4-2 :
Code:
Frey Sagna/Clerc Gallas Mexes Evra Toulalan Ribery Nasri Ben Arfa Anelka Benzema
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 19:42
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

How is Bodmer not on your team? Am I that biased towards him that I'm the only one who thinks he could offer a much needed spark of creativity to this team? Toulalan, Flamini, etc... good players, but Bodmer can rip a defense apart with his passing. Plus he's strong, can tackle, can play anywhere on the field... this guy should be playing consistently.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 19:57
Defunct
Xtratime Legend

I also make a motion to change Govou's shirt number. Otherwise my username is very misleading.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 20:25 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

^LoL.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Bodmer is doing this season, evenmore since his former coach has signed with Lyon today. Might consider him, if he finally really used on his best position.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2008, 20:44
Legend

Teams: Arsenal/France
Why is Govou a starter? He should be on the bench. It's better to have Henry over Govou

Zidane: The French Fabregas
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2008, 20:03
Rising Star

Teams: Marseille/Les bleus
Govou is often good with Les bleus, it's always good to have him on the bench.
About Toulalan, i'm sure that he can have a more creativ role if the coach asks him. I remember, when he played the Euro with the Under 21(elected player of the tournament), he was more creativ than today, he attacked more. He was the leader, and i'm sure that he could become the leader (on the pitch) of the future young french team.

Repose en paix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in