New Zealand National Team thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:27 Thread Starter
Star Player

New Zealand National Team thread

Upcoming fixtures:

Wales vs NZ (Wrexham, Wales - 26.05.2007)
Ukraine vs NZ (Kyiv, Ukraine - 06.06.2007)

Apparently Ryan Nelsen is considering pulling out of the Europen tour because pre-season training at Blackburn starts in late June. I'm happy for the guy and the success he's having playing in England, but it's been about three years now since he last pulled the All Whites shirt on, and if he no longer has the desire to play for NZ he should just retire and make it clear that other options need to be found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 09:59 Thread Starter
Star Player

Squad for Wales and Ukraine:

Goalkeepers: Mark Paston, Glen Moss (Wellington Phoenix).

Defenders: Andy Boyens (Canterbury United), Tony Lochhead (Phoenix), Steven Old (Phoenix), Duncan Oughton (Columbus Crew), James Pritchett (Auckland City).

Midfielders: Andy Barron (Canterbury United), Tim Brown (Phoenix), Jeff Campbell (Waitakere United), Jeremy Christie (unattached), David Mulligan (Scunthorpe United), Ivan Vicelich (RKC Waalwijk).

Strikers: Leo Bertos (Perth Glory), Jeremy Brockie (unattached), Chris James (Fulham), Chris Killen (Hibernian), Shane Smeltz (Halifax FC), Jarrod Smith (unattached).
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 05:24 Thread Starter
Star Player

Ivan Vicelich will miss the game vs Wales due to his club RKC Waalwijk sending their promotion-relegation final into a deciding third leg after beating visiting VVV Venlo 1-0 this morning.

Also missing will be captain Danny Hay, Cardiff City target Chris Killen, Blackburn Rovers skipper Ryan Nelsen, Fulham midfielder Simon Elliott, Scunthorpe United utility David Mulligan and young Jarrod Smith.

Not looking good with all that experience missing.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2007, 06:23 Thread Starter
Star Player

2-2 draw despite seven first choice players missing

Smeltz scored two and had a shot come off the post with about 15 mins to play
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2007, 07:29
Rising Star

Teams: Inter
Wow, really suprising result. I was expecting a thrashing from wales. I just hope that one day we will get our strongest team on the park.

Forza inter
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 09:07
International
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United and England
brilliant result...Shane Smeltz was on fire. That second goal was takin' the p!ss. Where was the centre back and goalie. Well in the All Whites (or should that be the all blues, in the new away strip).
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 09:08
International
World Class Player

incidentally, I think the game against the Ukraine has been cancelled hasn't it?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2007, 10:17
Rookie

2-0 over Fiji the other day I read.

Smeltz again scoring and an Vicelich who is mentioned above. So lads any chance of qualifying?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2007, 13:50 Thread Starter
Star Player

It wasn't a great performance but they got the job done. Two games against Vanuatu this month on the 17th and 21st (I think) which should be a better test than Fiji. Then next year there's the games against New Caledonia which you would think would be pretty straight forward. I'm not sure what's happening with the canceled match in NZ against Fiji.

As for qualifying, it's all going to come down to whoever finishes fifth in the Asian confederation. It's going to be tough to go from the likes of Fiji to China or a team like that.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2007, 11:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

Vanuatu 1-2 New Zealand

27' [1-0] Napropol
53' [1-1] Smeltz
94' [1-2] Mulligan

The pitch was in terrible condition and it was extremely hot but NZ still managed to have the best of the goal-scoring chances and got the late winner. Both goals came from assists from Leo Bertos. Some nice technical play from Vanuatu, but tactically they were lacking.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2007, 11:52 Thread Starter
Star Player

New Zealand 4-1 Vanuatu

14' [1-0] Mulligan
29' [2-0] Smeltz (PK)
35' [3-0] Smeltz
58' [3-1] Sakama
82' [4-1] Mulligan

He didn't score, but it was another great performance from Bertos. It was his shot that came back off the bar for Mulligan to fire home, then he won the PK that Smeltz converted, and then he provided the cross that Smeltz headed in for his second goal.

I was pretty impressed again by the technical ability of some of Vanuatu's players. It's a shame a few of them couldn't get time off work to play in this match, but I don't think it would have altered the outcome much.

Last edited by Xavinho; November 22nd, 2007 at 02:15.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2007, 13:10
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
No surprise that Bertos did not score, he has done everything bar that for Perth in his time here (except a couple in pre-season games). I hope he does not go back to Wellington next year as has been suggested because I think he could make a go of it in Europe and he is still only mid 20's.

Was King Italy..
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2007, 14:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

Yeah, as good as he'd be for the Phoenix if he left Perth, now would be the best time in his career to give Europe a try. Of course it would all depend on what, if any, offers he gets from clubs there.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2007, 08:17
International
World Class Player

crackin free kick by Mulligan in the qualifiers.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2008, 20:47
Rookie

Teams: Juventus and Galway United
How good are NZ?

I've only ever seen them play twice. Once in a friendly against Australia that was held in London and once against Wales (In the friendly mentioned above).

I always think they should be destroying the likes of Vanuatu, Fiji and New Caledonia the way Australia used to, but they usually win by only 2 or 3 goals.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2008, 08:51 Thread Starter
Star Player

New Zealand are fairly awful when it comes to football. A relatively low number of people get into the game due in no small part to the popularity of rugby, league, and cricket.

Last edited by Xavinho; August 2nd, 2008 at 13:20. Reason: a dingo stole my baby
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2008, 09:58 Thread Starter
Star Player

Ryan Nelsen slams NZ football

All Whites captain Ryan Nelsen has launched a stinging attack on New Zealand football and the Wellington Phoenix for failing to develop local football talent.

Nelsen, who led New Zealand to a 1-1 draw with China yesterday, was staggered that hardly any of his Oly-Whites teammates have Wellington Phoenix contracts.

He felt the A-League club was stifling New Zealand football's development and had reservations about conflicts of interest between the Phoenix and New Zealand Football.

Nelsen said both organisations needed to pick up their game as Ricki Herbert's dual role as Phoenix and All Whites coaches should benefit, not harm, the national team.

The English premiership star, who was playing for New Zealand again after four years' international absence, insisted the Phoenix had to play their part in developing the New Zealand game.

He had been stunned to hear that the club, coached by the national coach, would not allow two players - Tony Lochhead and Shane Smeltz - to be considered as over-age players at the Olympics.

"In the end, they weren't needed, but there's a principle here. We have the Phoenix, coached by the national coach, not prepared to release players for the Olympic Games, yet Tony Lochhead has gone off for a trial at Middlesbrough.

"There would have been a huge furore if that had happened overseas. If I was head of New Zealand Soccer, I would have had massive reservations about my head coach of the national team not releasing [his club] players to go play at a tournament like the Olympics."

Nelsen said the draw with China proved there was tremendous talent in the Oly-Whites' ranks and he failed to see why midfielder Cole Peverley and goalscorer Jeremy Brockie could not get Phoenix contracts. Only late draftee Greg Draper is on the club's books.

The Blackburn Rovers skipper said he was speaking out because he had been appalled to hear how some young Oly-Whites players had been told that the professional club was "not responsible for New Zealand football's development".

"That just staggers me. Some of the things I've been hearing have been horrendous. I think deep down, 99 per cent of people involved in New Zealand soccer think the same thing, but people are a bit too politically correct to say so.

"The talent's there; that was obvious last night [against China]. But all these guys are complete amateurs, who do their jobs and go to university, and they're playing against Ronaldinho and Brazil on Sunday."

Nelsen said he refused to sit back and see another lost generation of football talent fall by the wayside and fail to get the chance to advance their careers.

He said he had seen it happen to All Whites and Phoenix defender Ben Sigmund.

"He should have had seven years of professional football under his belt, but he didn't want to wear a heartrate monitor for one day because it was uncomfortable and [former New Zealand coaching director] Paul Smalley said, `Ben, you're done'."

Nelsen accepted New Zealand Football was financially strapped but said lack of money was a cop-out. A strategy was needed with everyone working to the same goal.

If Nelsen was in charge of the Phoenix he would have four or five players from the national under-20s and the same number from the under-23s in his squad.

Nelsen believed too much power in New Zealand Football in the past couple of years had been vested "in a couple of people who have made decisions that are just not right".

He said former chief executive Graham Seatter was wrong to commit so much money to getting more games for the All Whites. "I would spend more on the under-17s, 20s and the 23s to develop players."

The role of the Australian league was to develop players for professional careers and to benefit Australian national teams, Nelsen said. "Can we say that about what the Phoenix does for New Zealand football?"

----------------------

I agree with most of what he says, although I find his sudden interest in NZ football to be a bit hypocritical given how few times he's bothered to play for the NT over the last few years.

Quote:
He said he had seen it happen to All Whites and Phoenix defender Ben Sigmund.

"He should have had seven years of professional football under his belt, but he didn't want to wear a heartrate monitor for one day because it was uncomfortable and [former New Zealand coaching director] Paul Smalley said, `Ben, you're done'."
Disgraceful, if true.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2008, 11:08
Rising Star

NZ has qualified for next years Confederations cup again and will now face the 5th place Asian team home and away to gain entry to the world cup late next year :P

Almost too easy really. The chances of us beating Saudi Arabia/South Korea etc is still slim though, but at least its not the 5th placed SA side

Forza inter
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2008, 11:18
Rising Star

also Ivan Vicelich has retired from international football

Forza inter
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2008, 05:41 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
also Ivan Vicelich has retired from international football
Kinda sad to see him quit. I remember him well from his Kingz days. I used to work with a guy who played with Vicelich in an indoor team and said he was actually a damn good player.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in