Wellington Phoenix: New Zealand in the A-League - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:20 Thread Starter
Star Player

Wellington Phoenix: New Zealand in the A-League

Quote:
Owner Terry Serepisos sees the move of New Zealand's A-League football team to Wellington as the rebirth of professional football and has named the franchise accordingly.

Serepisos confirmed yesterday the franchise would be called Wellington Phoenix Football Club after a week of consultation with the public through The Dominion Post reader polls.

"We cut the 250 (suggestions) down to six and from that we were getting FC Wellington and Wellington Phoenix, and I thought this is a rebirth, rising from the ashes, and Phoenix is a great opportunity to take it on board," Serepisos said.

The phoenix is a mythical Egyptian firebird which at the end of its life builds a nest and then ignites, with both the nest and bird burning before being reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix rises.

The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded, thus being almost immortal and invincible, while its tears can heal wounds.

"It's quite spiritual, it's a rebirth, and hence I went with the public feeling and my own gut feeling," Serepisos said.

The striking logo, developed by his cousin John Serepisos, hasn't been officially signed off yet but Serepisos believed it was an "incredibly strong image that the public will latch on to".

"The handful of people who have seen it have really embraced it and (Phoenix coach) Ricki Herbert's loving it."

He said his interim management group would continue to work hard in coming weeks to get the franchise up and running ahead of the season, which starts in July.

"It's all about getting the right infrastructure. We're already behind the eight-ball but it's a matter of getting the right team of people on the business side, with the most important appointment being the CEO.

"And player-wise, from my understanding, Ricki has already recruited a few people and he's scouting at the moment. We're working hard to get this done."

Serepisos, whose name had been googled 13,300 times during the past week, admits he's still coming to terms with the enormity of the task, but said the support he had received was "overwhelming".

"I'd like to thank the public and The Dominion Post for the help we got with the name. The support has been great, particularly in Wellington, but from all over the country and overseas.

"I know the city will embrace it because, apart from the Hurricanes, what else have we got.

"Not only will we have a soccer team of our own but we're going to get to see some of the top players in Australia and top international players in Wellington."
It is a good thing that NZ has a representitive in the A-league, but it's a real slap in the face to everyone in Aucks that supported the Kingz/Knights despite all the BS, to have the frachise uprooted and moved to a town like Wellington.
If the NZS hadn't dealt with the whole thing so poorly I'm sure backing for an Auckland based franchise could have been found. Serepisos only got involved cause he happened to hear a radio item about the franchise while he was getting his hair cut.

Last edited by Xavinho; April 24th, 2007 at 05:22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:53 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Terry Serepisos' pledge to deliver an A-League championship to Wellington Phoenix fans within the next three years was greeted with a knowing chuckle by doubters on both sides of the Tasman.

The flamboyant Wellington businessman, who saved New Zealand's franchise from the wreck of the under- performing Knights with a last-minute $1.2 million financial guarantee, has promised to turn things around in a hurry.

"I've got the team for at least the next three years, and I would love to win (the title) in that time. Melbourne finished second-last last year, and won it this year. There's no reason why we can't do the same sort of thing," Serepisos told the Sydney Morning Herald during a team owner's conference.

Phoenix and All Whites coach Ricki Herbert agreed with his boss that the Phoenix have the potential to win the title within three years, but said his main priority this season was to build a competitive squad and get the right management and coaching staff around him, with the first player signings due to be announced this week.

"You've got to be ambitious but the first year also needs to be about bedding things down and getting a strong infrastructure there," said Herbert.

All Whites fullback Tony Lochhead, who has been released by New England Revolution, and former Newcastle Jets and All Whites striker Vaughan Coveny should be among the first to join the Phoenix. Ex-Knights and Watford midfielder Richard Johnson, All Whites goalkeepers Mark Paston and Glen Moss, All Whites utility Noah Hickey and centreback Steven Old, and ex- Knights defenders John Tambouras and Steven O'Dor, both Australians, are also in the frame.

Herbert is in talks with national under-20 coach Stu Jacobs and under-17 coach Colin Tuaa about the assistant coaching role.

"We want the right players coming to the club for the right reasons. There have been no discussions about a marquee player as yet.

"We have been exploring the South American market - you only have to look at the history of the A-League with Melbourne last year and the impact they had with their Brazilian players."

The first pre-season game is on July 13 and Herbert, who moves to Wellington from Auckland tomorrow, admitted they are behind the other seven franchises.

"We are behind the eight ball but that's because of the lifeline we managed to get. Everyone's working really hard now and we're not hiding behind anything, that's the time scale we are working too." The first A-League game is on August 24, with the Phoenix hosting Melbourne.

Herbert's wife and 14-year-old twins will stay in Auckland due to school commitments, but he said that won't impact on his role at the club.

"If it's seven days a week in Wellington for the next five months then that's the lie of the land. I'm totally committed to do it and that's the only way I'd want to do it. I was very keen to get involved and my family are happy to make the commitment to it as well."
I don't mind seeing a few foreign players in the squad if they're really going to add something, just as long as they're carefully chosen, and really do provide something that no current Kiwi players can bring to the table.

I'd love to see Vicelich playing in NZ again, but I can't see him leaving RKC where he gets to play against the likes of Ajax, PSV etc, and move to a one-horse town like Wellington
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 15:21
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Yeah things surely can't be as bad as what happened with the Knights. The Phoenix look like they could make an impact. Herbert seems ready to go. If they can sign a player like Bertos that would be great for them but Glory might not let him go.

Was King Italy..

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:36 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano
Yeah things surely can't be as bad as what happened with the Knights.
Yeah I'm still pretty annoyed with that whole situation. Playing at North Harbour which is so far away and hard to get to was crazy. There were so many mistakes made it was almost as if they wanted it to fail. Even the name change from Kingz to Knights made little sense

Quote:
If they can sign a player like Bertos that would be great for them but Glory might not let him go.
Yeah he would add something to the team, and he's from Wellington originally so he probably wouldn't have anything against playing for them. I thought I read somewhere that Perth don't want him anymore?

Maybe the Phoenix should just concentrate on finding that one Fernando Rech type of player and then surround him with the best NZers available. Maybe Adriano would like a break from the constant media scrutiny he's under in Milan
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:04
Legend

I don't think Glory wouldn't want him anymore, he was easily their best player last season and led the A-League in assists. He did everything except score, it was quite unlucky really. If he has got a better squad around him he might even get better this season.

Was King Italy..
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:39 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
I don't think Glory wouldn't want him anymore, he was easily their best player last season and led the A-League in assists. He did everything except score, it was quite unlucky really. If he has got a better squad around him he might even get better this season.
Yeah he seemed good whenever I watched Glory play. I don't remember where I read that they didn't want him. Maybe I'm just confusing the situation with someone elses.

In other news:

Wellington Phoenix official home shirt

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2007, 05:30 Thread Starter
Star Player

Wellington Phoenix FC Season Schedule

NZ times

Sun, 26 Aug 07 Wellington Phoenix v Melbourne Victory Westpac Stadium 4.00pm

Fri, 31 Aug 07 Central Coast Mariners v Wellington Phoenix Bluetongue Stadium 10.00pm

Sun, 9 Sep 07 Wellington Phoenix v Newcastle Jets Westpac Stadium 5.00pm

Fri, 14 Sep 07 Sydney FC v Wellington Phoenix Aussie Stadium 8.00pm 10.00pm

Sat, 22 Sep 07 Wellington Phoenix v Adelaide United Westpac Stadium 7.00pm

Sun, 30 Sep 07 Wellington Phoenix v Perth Glory Westpac Stadium 5.00pm 3.00pm

Fri, 5 Oct 07 Queensland Roar v Wellington Phoenix Suncorp Stadium 10.00pm

Sun, 14 Oct 07 Newcastle Jets v Wellington Phoenix EnergyAustralia Stadium 5.00pm

Sun, 21 Oct 07 Wellington Phoenix v Central Coast Mariners Westpac Stadium 5.00pm

Sun, 28 Oct 07 Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix Hindmarsh Stadium 7.00pm

Fri, 2 Nov 07 Perth Glory v Wellington Phoenix Members Equity Stadium 12.00am

Sun, 11 Nov 07 Queensland Roar v Wellington Phoenix Suncorp Stadium 8.00pm

Sat, 17 Nov 07 Wellington Phoenix v Sydney FC Westpac Stadium 7.00pm

Sat, 24 Nov 07 Melbourne Victory v Wellington Phoenix Telstra Dome 9.00pm

Fri, 30 Nov 07 Wellington Phoenix v Adelaide United Westpac Stadium 7.30pm

Fri, 7 Dec 07 Wellington Phoenix v Perth Glory Westpac Stadium 7.30pm

Fri, 14 Dec 07 Wellington Phoenix v Queensland Roar Westpac Stadium 7.30pm

Sun, 30 Dec 07 Newcastle Jets v Wellington Phoenix EnergyAustralia Stadium 9.00pm

Fri, 4 Jan 08 Wellington Phoenix v Sydney FC Westpac Stadium 7.30pm

Fri, 11 Jan 08 Melbourne Victory v Wellington Phoenix Telstra Dome 10.00pm

Sat, 19 Jan 08 Central Coast Mariners v Wellington Phoenix Bluetongue Stadium 9.00pm

It's tough having to face the champions in the first game, but at least they know it won't get any harder after that
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2007, 10:49
Legend

Are you going to be getting season tickets

Was King Italy..
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2007, 11:24 Thread Starter
Star Player

No I don't live in Wellington (thank the gods), but I went to a lot of Kingz/Knights games
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 14:34 Thread Starter
Star Player

Phoenix have signed five players:

Ross Aloisi - 34 year old Australian former Adelaide United captain
Tim Brown - 26 NZ international former Newcastle Jets midfielder
Mark Paston - 30 NZ international GK former NZ Kights keeper
Michael Ferrante - 26 Aus former Melbourne Victory midfielder
Richard Johnson - 33 Aus former NZ Knights, Jets, Watford midfielder

Lots of rumours about NZ under-17 captain Costa Barbarouses likely to be the first striker signed
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 04:06
Rising Star

Teams: Barca! and any team with Kaką
Good on Terry Serepisos for coming to the party. Its likely that the phoenix will struggle in their first year. Any new franchise usually does, and especially when there is so much rebuilding to be done. So I totally admire Terry's dedication to backing a struggling venture.

I read somewhere that he was in a barber shop and was reading about the knights problems, when suddenly he thought "right, i can do something about this" and went out and backed them.

If/when football becomes big in New Zealand, we ought to thank people like this who have sacrificed their own time, resources and money for the benefit of future generations. The NZ A-league franchise is a critical component in NZ football's professional future. It is a vehicle to develop future youngsters and expose them to the professional scene and a shop window to the rest of the world (not as well decorated as others...but an advertisement nevertheless).

In terms of signings, anyone from the NZFC you think they should sign? Commins Menapi of Waitakere United comes to mind as top-scorer.

Napoleon:You know , nunchuk skills , bow - hunting skills , computer hacking skills, girl's only want guys with great skills.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 12:48 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusNZ
I read somewhere that he was in a barber shop and was reading about the knights problems, when suddenly he thought "right, i can do something about this" and went out and backed them.
Yeah I mentioned that in the first post, and I agree with you that its great he decided to get involved, I just wish NZS had done more to publicize what was needed and maybe backing could have been found for an Auckland franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusNZ
In terms of signings, anyone from the NZFC you think they should sign? Commins Menapi of Waitakere United comes to mind as top-scorer.
Yeah maybe Menapi, although he's getting on in age a bit. But then looking at some of the other signings, I don't think they're too worried about age
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 06:56
International
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United and England
Whatever happened to Jimmy Cudd...a few years back I thought he'd break through into the Knights but it never happend?

Anyway, I feel a bit more confident with Ricky at the helm. Looking forward to a better season...hopefully!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 09:47 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavinho
Lots of rumours about NZ under-17 captain Costa Barbarouses likely to be the first striker signed
Thats a done deal now.

Herbert said: "Costa is an outstanding prospect. He has pace, vision and knows when to hone in on goal. The role of striker is vital in any team, and Costa brings a natural sense for knowing how to find the back of the net."

Great to see young NZ talent getting a chance like this

I'm also happy they got Steven Old. Even if he makes a few mistakes here and there I think he's got a lot of talent, and hopefully under Ricki's guidance, he can grow into an important player for both club and country.

Players:

NZ:
Steven Old (defender)
Costa Barbarouses (striker)
Glen Moss (goalkeeper)
Tim Brown (midfielder)
Mark Paston (goalkeeper)
Tony Lochhead (defender)

Aus:
Michael Ferrante (midfielder)
Richard Johnson (midfielder)
Vince Lia (midfielder)
Ross Aloisi (midfielder)
Steven O'Dor (defender)

Brazil:
Daniel (midfielder/defender)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Elliot
Anyway, I feel a bit more confident with Ricky at the helm. Looking forward to a better season...hopefully!
Yeah he did a good job with the Knights in their last few games

Last edited by Xavinho; May 15th, 2007 at 10:00.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 05:27 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Richard Johnson's "last shot" at professional football, with Wellington's new Phoenix side, is in doubt after he scored an eight-month prison term this week for drink-driving.

The 33-year-old Australian import was ordered to serve a minimum six months behind bars when he was sentenced in a Newcastle court on Monday.

He has appealed against the sentence and has been freed on conditional bail, with a new hearing date to be set, the Dominion Post reported today.

His lawyer, Andrew Bright, told the court that Johnson's contract with Phoenix was his "last shot" at worthwhile professional football.

Johnson was arrested on March 28 after an "extremely dangerous" pursuit when he failed to stop for police, and instead sped off.

When he was finally stopped, the former New Zealand Knights and Newcastle Jets midfielder recorded a blood-alcohol level of nearly four times the legal limit.

Johnson and a passenger tried to flee on foot, but were quickly caught.
Hmm, well so much for that then
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2007, 07:31
Rising Star

Teams: Inter
I like the fact that we havent filled our team with ageing Englishmen this year. I hope that Ricky works his magic and turn this new team into something decent.

Forza inter
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 09:10
International
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United and England
word is shane smeltz might be signing on?
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2007, 08:10
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavinho
Players:

NZ:
Steven Old (defender)
Costa Barbarouses (striker)
Glen Moss (goalkeeper)
Tim Brown (midfielder)
Mark Paston (goalkeeper)
Tony Lochhead (defender)

Aus:
Michael Ferrante (midfielder)
Richard Johnson (midfielder)
Vince Lia (midfielder)
Ross Aloisi (midfielder)
Steven O'Dor (defender)
I love this double standard.

Wellington are free to sign as many Australian rejects players as they want, yet if the other seven clubs sign a Kiwi he gets included in the four foreigner player cap like any other foreign player.

Stunning work from the FFA yet again.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2007, 02:57 Thread Starter
Star Player

Vaughan Coveny (35) and Shane Smeltz (25) have signed on with Phoenix. Good decision to get these two. They should add a lot up front
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2007, 06:02 Thread Starter
Star Player

Phoenix vs Melbourne Victory

0-1 HT

Penalty from Muscat

Considering it's their first competitive game, and they're up against the reigning A-League champs, the Nix ain't doing too badly. Entertaining match so far. It's a shame Daniel missed his penalty. They could have finished the half with the score all even.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in