The OFC 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2007, 17:01 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
The OFC 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification

The first phase will begin at the 2007 Pacific Games in Samoa with the football tournament doubling as an OFC preliminary World Cup qualifying competition. The gold, silver and bronze medallists will advance to the second phase.

The three medallists will join New Zealand in a home and away round-robin tournament on FIFA match dates in 2007 and 2008.

The winner of this final group will be crowned OFC Nations Cup champions, and will also be included in the final round of Asian World Cup qualification.

The 2007 Pacific Games are to be hosted in Apia, Samoa. They will be the 13th to have been held since 1963 and will be held 25 August - 8 September, 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:37
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
It is hard to tell how far Oceanian football has progressed in recent times but a couple of years ago the likes of Solomon Islands were beating New Zealand. It is a realistic possibility we could see one of the minnow island nations jumping into the Asian qualification but time will tell.

Was King Italy..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:13
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano
a couple of years ago the likes of Solomon Islands were beating New Zealand
What? I don't know that the Solomons have ever beaten New Zealand.
I remember them losing 3 - 0 against NZ not so long ago and before that a couple of games where NZ shot 5 or 6 past them.
They only finished second in the '06 WC qualifier group thanks to that fluke NZ 2-4 loss to Vanuatu

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
how do you guys rate Steven Old?

I actually played with him here in Holland (were in the same cricket XI - nice guy ) when he was in his early teens when his dad was overhere coaching the Dutch rugby side.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:38
Star Player

I think he could become an important player for the All Whites. I remember seeing him play for the first time in the Under-17's or the Under-20's a couple years back and being impressed. It'll be interesting to see how he does for Wellington in the A-league.

They play Rugby in Holland?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:42
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
hey it's a world game p

they played against England once in a world cup qualifier a few years back and lost by 100 points up in Huddersfield

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:52
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
hey it's a world game p
Many people in New Zealand actually believe that. The fact that South Africa and Argentina play the game adds credibility to the idea untill you notice no one else in Africa or South America gives a **** about the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
they played against England once in a world cup qualifier a few years back and lost by 100 points up in Huddersfield
Ouch. I start to feel sorry for any team when things get up around the 80-90 points mark
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 15:23
Legend

Yeah that's right it was Vanuatu who beat them.

Was King Italy..
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2007, 12:28
Star Player

Current standings:

Code:
Team           P  W  D  L  GF  GA  GD  Pts

New Zealand    3  3  0  0  8   2   +6  9
New Caledonia  2  1  1  0  7   3   +4  4
Fiji           3  0  1  2  3   9   -6  1
Vanuatu        2  0  0  2  2   6   -4  0

Last edited by Xavinho; November 26th, 2007 at 10:43.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2007, 09:56
Legend

New Zealand scraped through a couple of their games didn't they?

Was King Italy..
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 09:26
Star Player

Quote:
New Zealand scraped through a couple of their games didn't they?
No, I wouldn't really say that - certainly not for the 4-1 win over Vanuatu, in which Vanuatu only scored because NZ switched off after finishing the first half 3-0 up. The 0-2 away win over Fiji was a bit deceptive as the standard of refereeing was very low and NZ could have easily won by a higher score if some of the calls had gone in the team's favour. There were some clear goal scoring chances that were ruined by incorrect offside calls, including one that ended in the back of the net.
The only match where NZ could be described as having "scraped through" was the away win against Vanuatu, and as the return fixture against them indicated, there were some extenuating circumstances. I mean credit to Vanuatu for making NZ work for it, and credit to their fans who, like Fiji's, got right behind their team, but the officiating was quite poor.
The heat and humidity played a big part in both the away matches, and so did the standard of the pitches, which had very uneven surfaces (plus the pitch in Fiji was supposedly on a slight slope ).
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 09:27
Legend

Either way the island nations will fancy themselves against in the two leg playoff at the end of the group phase.

Was King Italy..
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 09:41
Star Player

Jesus, now that was a quick reply at least as far as the usual pace of this forum is concerned

I'm not sure what you mean though. After the group phase is complete the only playoff will be between the group winner, which looks pretty much certain to be New Zealand, and the fifth placed country from Asia.

Fiji seem to have already given up by the way. In their last match they played what was basically their U-23 side in an effort to get them ready for qualifying for the Olympics. I think it's now all down to New Caledonia to try to make the group interesting.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2007, 13:06
Legend

I just got the info from Wikipedia. Maybe the OFC website will say the real thing.

Wikipedia says "The top two teams of the second round will play in the third and final round, a home-and-away knock-out playoff. The winner of this final will be crowned OFC Nations Cup champion."

Was King Italy..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2007, 13:13
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
From what I understand the top team of Oceania... new Zealand... will have a play-off match with an Asian team for the WC.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2007, 14:52
Star Player

Quote:
I just got the info from Wikipedia. Maybe the OFC website will say the real thing.

Wikipedia says "The top two teams of the second round will play in the third and final round, a home-and-away knock-out playoff. The winner of this final will be crowned OFC Nations Cup champion."
Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about some other island nation not from the group, which of course isn't possible as this is the only group. I don't know if there will be a playoff between first and second in the end. I haven't actually seen it acknowledged by the OFC anywhere, and it seems pretty redundant, as though it was left over from the days of two Oceania groups. But, it wouldn't surprise me if they finish with the present group stage and then announce: "OK, so we said the group winner would play against the fifth placed Asian team, but get this, you know the team we just played home and away a couple of months ago? Well guess what? We're playing them again!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in