LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2003, 03:50 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Friendly: USA 2-1 Jamaica

International Friendly Report: USA Double Up Jamaica
Jamaica - USA | Latest News | Match Report | News Archive

With a goal and an assist Bocanegra was an easy choice for man of the match (ET)
02/12/2003. The USA spoiled the Reggae Boyz pitch party and extended their all-time unbeaten streak against Jamaica to thirteen games with a 2-1 win at the National Stadium in Kingston.

Early goals less than a minute apart from Carlos Bocanegra and Chris Klein were all the stars & stripes needed to hold off a plodding Jamaican attack.

The opening was sloppy but not due to the playing surface, which had just been given a face-lift. The first attempt on goal came from a set piece rather than from the run of play.

D.C. United youngster Bobby Convey started in the center of midfield when in the past he has lined up somewhere on the left side. The nineteen-year old earned a corner kick when not a dozen minutes had ticked off at the Office. Whipping the corner outwards Convey placed the leather orb onto the head of Bocanegra who was up to the task. In a play almost identical to the first goal scored against Canada not long ago the imposing defender rose to the challenge, heading young Bobby's offer easily past Aaron Lawrence for the first score.

On the ensuing kickoff the Chicago Fire player again got involved with the attack from his back line position. In this instance Bocanegra was the supplier. Midfielder Chris Klein accepted the donation and expressed his gratitude by firing the ball past Lawrence for the second time in the past minute.

With the rapid fire session finished Bruce Arena's men settled down to defend against the impending Jamaican attack for the rest of the opening act, venturing out only to have Klein ring the post on the half hour and to see Landon Donovan force Lawrence to tip wide on 44.

The Reggae Boyz predictably owned most of the possession after the American outburst. But the States' back-line resolve was too great, and poor efforts from Deon Burton and Ian Goodison failed to vex Tim Howard or his coach.

Jamaica finally did break through in the second half, but not as the result of a superfluity of sharp passes or fancy dribbling. No, it was a free kick thirty yards from goal that brought the Boyz back within a yelp. Rushden & Diamonds striker Onandi Lowe targeted the upper-left corner of the goal, and hit the mark with rapid accuracy.

The level of intensity was raised a bit after Lowe's magnum opus and with the zeal came increased physical confrontation. Yellow cards were awarded to Burton and defender Craig Ziadie in the minutes following the Jamaican score.

But just as the brute force began creating cracks in the USA defense Carl Brown made wholesale substitutions and the momentum was lost.

GOALS:
USA - Bocanegra (Convey) 13'
USA - Klein (Bocanegra) 14'
JAM - Lowe 54'

LINEUPS:
JAMAICA – GK Lawrence; Davis (Francis), Goodison, Marshall, Scarlett (Crawford), Ziadie; Daley (Johnson), Gardner (Taylor), Whitmore; Lowe, Burton (Williams).

USA – GK Howard; Bocanegra, Califf, Garcia, Cherundolo; Beasley (Vagenas), Convey, Mastroeni, Klein (Ralston); Mathis, Donovan (Cunningham).

soccerage

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in