Mevican Verano Championship Playoffs - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2002, 17:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

Mevican Verano Championship Playoffs

The playoffs are almost set for the Mexican Championship.

The qualifiers so far are Toluca, America, Pumas, Morelia, Cruz Azul and Gudalajara (Chivas).

Two more spots still up for grabs with Tecos, Tigres, Santos, Necaxa, Monterrey, Atlas and Atlante still with a shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 04:34
Rising Star

here is what each team need in order to classify to the playoffs

Atlante- They still have a chance to enter the playoffs directly or by reclasification. In order for this to happen they need to win Veracruz and hope that Santos ties or loses Vs Toluca. With that they would be second in their group and waiting to see the rest of the results to see if they enter directly or through Reclasification. If they tie or Lose vs Veracruz they are out.

Tigres- The Felines need to beat America and have Tecos lose in order to qualify with a better goal diferential. If Tecos wins, then the only hope for Tigres is the reclasification, in which case they need a tie or loss by Santos and of course a win Vs America. Like Atlante, a tie or a loss will end their campaign.

Tecos- The Tecos requier but one point to qualify Mathamatically. Which means that a tie Vs Jaguares will put them in. Even with a loss they are in, given that Tigres does not win. A loss combined with a Tigres victory will have the Tecos looking for Reclasification, and that is only if Santos losses.

Atlas- Needs a lot of games to go their way in order to go to reclasification. Atlas need to win Vs San Luis and hope that both Tigres and Santos lose, they also have to hope that Necaxa and Monterey Tie. only by this way will Atlas reclassify.

Santos- The warriors require a win Vs Toluca to gain reclasification. A tie or a loss combined with a Atlante victory ends the season for Tena's boys. To classify directly Santos needs to win their game and hope that Tigres lose or tie. In case both Tigres and Santos win, Tigres hold the edge by 2 goals in diferential.

Monterey- In order to gain reclasification Monterey need to win Necaxa and hope that Tigres, Santos, Atlante, and Atlas all lose... or if Atlas wins, by 1 goal only and Montery to win by an ample margin.

Necaxa- In order to gain reclasification they need to win Monterey and hope that Tigres and Santos Lose.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2002, 18:06 Thread Starter
Star Player

Excellent analysis El Burrito, I think that Tecos and Tigres will be the last two qualifiers. Though I wish necaxa will be one of them.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2002, 18:08
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Re: Mevican Verano Championship Playoffs

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabemar
The playoffs are almost set for the Mexican Championship.

The qualifiers so far are Toluca, America, Pumas, Morelia, Cruz Azul and Gudalajara (Chivas).

All strong Teams so far ... this years Liguilla should be one of the best that we've seen in a while..
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2002, 01:16
Rising Star

Looks like the final 8 are set and the matchup look like this

America Vs Santos

Toluca Vs Chivas

Pumas Vs Cruz Azul

Morelia Vs Tecos

Im really excited over Pumas Vs Cruz Azul that should be a grate show.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2002, 14:42
Xtratime Elite

Toluca slip, despite Cardozo form

MEXICO CITY, Dec 5 (Reuters) -

Record-breaking striker Jose Cardozo was on target again for Toluca in the Mexican championship on Wednesday, but Guadalajara struck twice in the last six minutes of their quarter-final first leg to win 2-1.
Paraguayan international Cardozo, who hit a record-breaking 29 goals in 19 matches during the qualifying stage of the competition, scored for the 12th consecutive game to give Toluca a 56th minute lead.

But Guadalajara, who still field only Mexican players in a championship awash with foreigners, hit back through Jair Garcia in the 84th minute and Emilio Mora three minutes later to sneak a surprise win before a 60,000 crowd at the Jalisco stadium.

UNAM coach Hugo Sanchez, whose team last week qualified for their first South American Libertadores Cup, was satisfied with his team after they held out for a 0-0 draw at Cruz Azul in another tie.

'We came to win but a draw was good for us,' said the former Real Madrid and Mexico striker. 'It was a disciplined job, we carried out everything we rehearsed during the week.'

Morelia took command in the day's other match, winning 3-1 away to UAG thanks to second-half goals from Uruguayan Carlos Morales and Antonio Gonzalez.

Argentine Jorge Almiron put the visitors ahead in the seventh minute and Brazilian Osmar Donizete equalised for the Tecos, led by former Peru coach Julio Cesar Uribe, in the 34th.

In between, Chilean striker Reinaldo Navia missed a penalty for the home side. (WILL NOW be Sold to AMerica !!!!)

Defending champions America are away to Santos Laguna on Thursday.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2002, 15:09 Thread Starter
Star Player

It looks like Morelia is almost thru, but the other 3 are still up for grabs.

I watched the Puamas UNAM vs Cruz Azul and I believe it might have been the ugliest game I've seen all year. The teams couldn't string more than two passes and tons of fouls.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2002, 18:40 Thread Starter
Star Player

Re: Toluca slip, despite Cardozo form

Quote:
Originally posted by colocolo
In between, Chilean striker Reinaldo Navia missed a penalty for the home side. (WILL NOW be Sold to AMerica !!!!)
[/B]
You are probably right his performance during the last Libertadores Cup was superb. And they need to replace Zamorano since he'll be playing for the "cacique" Colo Colo starting in January.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2002, 05:07 Thread Starter
Star Player

So it's set Morelia, Toluca, Pumas and Santos are the semifinalists. Who would have thought that none of the three most popular teams in Mexico (Guadalajara, America and Cruz Azul) would make it to the semis.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2002, 19:15 Thread Starter
Star Player

Toluca vs Santos
Toluca just hired a new coach after Graniolati quited after the quarterfinals. I think this team probably doesn't need a coach and anyone coming in woulb be more pf a detriment than help. Santos surprised everyone by eliminating America, but I think their defense is simply too suspect to contain Cardozo and Sanchez. So despite of Borguetti's and Ruiz's heroics I think Toluca will prevail.

Pumas vs Morelia
Pumas despite having a team of relative unknown young players, they have played for the most part together since their development teams years. They are probably the most motivated and tenacious team who play very well together. Morelia on the other hand is a team that started slowly this year. But I think that they have the firepower and defensive game to give Pumas trouble. Alex fernandez is pretty much unstopabble and after Cardozo and Abreu IMO is the best striker in the Mexican league. Morelia wins in a close one.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old December 12th, 2002, 05:40 Thread Starter
Star Player

Toluca flexed it's offensive muscle and beat Santos 5-3 on the road, crushing just about any hope Santos had of advancing. As usual Cardozo and Sanchez were the main culprits, While Ruiz was the best man for the "laguneros"
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old December 12th, 2002, 08:26
Rising Star

Great for Toluca!!!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2002, 15:20 Thread Starter
Star Player

Morelia clubbered Pumas 4-0, in the first leg of the semis, pretty much sealing their access to the final. They had a very impressing performance, in the first half I think they shot 5 or 6 shots on goal and scored 3 times and none of the goals were due to keeper's mistakes or anything that the defense did.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2002, 23:48
Rising Star

I thought it was going to be a tight match, but Morelia played great
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 02:58 Thread Starter
Star Player

Toluca as expected is the first fianlist after beating Santos 2-1 (6-4 agg) They awit the winner of morelia - Pumas with "Monarcas" leading that series 4-0.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 03:00
Rising Star

I'm pretty sure that Morelia is also in the final
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2002, 10:46
Xtratime Elite

The Diablo's Rojos of Toluca defeat Santos Laguna to reach the Mexican Apertura Liguilla final.

12/15/2002.

Lead by Paraguayan International Jose Saturnino Cardozo, Toluca became the first finalist for the Apertura Liguilla Championship. Toluca which had defeated Santos Laguna in the first leg of the semi-final match (5-3) had no problems overcoming Santos 2-1 at their home, Estadio Nemesio Díez or A.K.A. La Bombonera for a 7-4 aggregate score. Toluca's rival for the Championship will be between UNAM Pumas and Monarcas Morelia which have yet to play their second leg semi-final match.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2002, 10:49
Xtratime Elite

Morelia is the other finalist ....
In a 1x2 losing effort to Pumas, they still manage to advance to the Finals !!!

Good luck to both Finalists ..... I'd like to see Morelia WIN it .. Im no fan of either Team, but I'd like to see the bunch from Michoacan take it all this time around !!!

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2002, 10:18
Xtratime Elite

Wedn Dec 18

Morelia hosts Toluca

Morelia will need tons of goals for the return trip to nearby Toluca City !!!!

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2002, 15:07 Thread Starter
Star Player

It's hard to go against the firepower of Toluca but I am going to pick Morelia to win this one. I think they are balnced enough to compete with Toluca. As long as it doesn't become a game of who score the most, then Morelia has a good shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in