Trinidad & Tobago News/Nats - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2002, 15:12 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Trinidad & Tobago News/Nats

Leonson's back
...now at W. Connection .......................... Xtremelly Long but Interesting article .......................
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/expre...otball/Leonson's%20back%20.htm&mygroup=Football&mydate=2002-07-21&mypage=sport

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old July 21st, 2002, 15:13 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Vibe CT 105 W Connection coach Stuart Charles shook hands with his fellow technical staff members with his usual wry smile yesterday evening as the defending champions downed Defence Force 2-1 for another three-point haul at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.

The final result, though, hardly told the whole story.

For the last 20 minutes, the Connection backline were pinned to the edge of their own penalty area as the Army/Coast Guard combination battled vainly for an equalizing goal.

Star striker Jason Scotland came closest with a thunderous left footer that shook the Connection crossbar.

But, for the second consecutive weekend, the defending champions held on to move six points clear of CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh, who have a game in hand.

Charles might have hoped for an easier path to victory after an opening goal within the third minute of play.

Brazilian striker Luciano Sato notched his 10th item of the season—the league’s highest—with an accurate stooping header after a right side cross from countryman Ronaldo Viana.

But Defence Force responded in kind, two minutes later, when stopper Anton Pierre popped up in the opposing penalty area to head home at the near post following a Kwesi Smith free kick.

The pendulum almost swung the other way in the 18th minute when Sato controlled a Gefferson Goulart through ball and hit goalward, only for Defence Force left back Michael Edwards to make an impressive clearance under his own crossbar.

By then, Connection were controlling the tempo, with captain Reynold Carrington doing his best “disc jockey” impression at sweeper back.

Slow, vertical passes tested Defence Force’s structure and patience before the southerners suddenly switched to crisp diagonal balls aimed at either flank.

In the 28th minute, the ploy reaped its second dividend as Gefferson Goulart released Sato down the right flank and strode into the penalty area to convert his cross with a neat finish to custodian Selwyn George’s right.

Connection thought they had a third goal in the 44th minute as a firm Jose Manoel header was blocked on the goalline by Corey Rivers.

The champs argued that the young full back had used his hand to keep out the effort, but referee Neil Brizan saw it differently and booked Manoel instead.

It was Connection’s last threatening move of the match.

One by one, Charles recalled strikers Leonson Lewis, Sato and Manoel in the second half, with each replacement failing to benefit from the outing.

In contrast, Defence Force substitutes Akudu Goodridge and Owen Matthews added width and physical presence to their offence and ultimately offered more freedom to central striker, Scotland.

It made for a spirited fight back.

Twice, only the pace and intelligence of combative midfielder Elijah Joseph stopped Scotland from taking his mark in the opposing area, while there was one rocket from the talented forward that made even the crossbar wince in the 75th minute.

Only Connection custodian Alejandro Figueroa could say how he managed to spot—let alone save—a stinging free kick from Pierre at the edge of the area in the 81st minute.

Entertaining stuff but, as the final whistle sounded, there was the similar sight of the boys in green celebrating another three-point capture.

It will take even more artillery than the Defence Force could muster to wreck their title march this year.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 11:28 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Blackburn signs Yorke

July 29th, 2002

Blackburn signed Manchester United’s out-of-favor striker Dwight Yorke for 2 million pounds (US$3.2 million) yesterday.

Man United originally wanted £6 million ($9.5 million) for the Trinidad and Tobago international but, after weeks of haggling, agreed to the reduced figure.

The fee will rise to £2.6 million (US$4.1 million) depending on appearances and team performance.

Yorke, 30, signed a three-year contract with Rovers.

He had not made a competitive appearance for United since the side’s FA Cup defeat at Middlesbrough in January, and manager Alex Ferguson had been looking to offload him for a year.

The Reds will take a big loss on Yorke, who was their record signing when he joined from Aston Villa for £12.6 million (US$19.9 million) in Aug. 1998.

Yorke will now be reunited with his former United teammate Andy Cole, who moved to Blackburn last season.

The pair helped United win the FA Cup, Premier League and European Cup treble in 1999, scoring 53 goals between them.

“There’s a passion deep inside me that wants to do well and I’m desperate to re-establish myself in the Premiership,” York told Blackburn’s official Web site.

“I had a fantastic few years at United, but it’s been very frustrating of late and coming to Blackburn just feels right. I’ve been impressed with what (Blackburn manager) Graeme Souness has done here and by the things he has said to me.

“Everyone knows I am a pal of Andy Cole but he’s not the only player he’s familiar with in the squad and I’m looking forward to playing alongside them all.”

Souness said Yorke was a player he had targeted for some time.

“He is a top quality player with a proven record who can only be an asset as we look to go forward,” Souness said.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2002, 14:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Stern John doubles up for Birmingham

Trinidad and Tobago striker Stern John scored twice as newly promoted Birmingham City prepared for life in the English Premier League with a 7-0 win over Tranmere Rovers in midweek.

Birmingham were 4-0 up against Tranmere in the opening 25 minutes. Stern John and Bryan Hughes were both on target twice along with Martin Grainger, Paul Devlin and Darren Carter, whose strike was set-up by another new boy, Clinton Morrison.

Morrison made his Blues debut having been given a run-out as a substitute in the second-half following his move from Crystal Palace earlier in the week.

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce was left purring over City’s new signing Aliou Cisse after his starring role in the 7-0 romp.

Cisse did everything that Bruce had expected of him in his defensive midfield role against the Second Division side at their Prenton Park home.

The Senegal World Cup skipper had to wait to make his Blues bow due to his commitments of the summer followed by a bout of sickness that laid him low in Scotland last week.

But, as far as Bruce is concerned, it was well worth the wait and he is now hoping that Cisse can repeat the kind of form he showed at Tranmere once the Premiership season gets underway.

The City boss said: “I think that he is going to be a very significant signing for us. He wants to organise and he is something that we have probably not had in the team before.

“He is a defensive midfield player who has got a physical presence about him and you can see why he is the captain of his country. I was very impressed with him.”

Saw him do great things in the MLS!!!!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2002, 14:54 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Yorke: My record speaks for itself

07 08 2002

Dwight Yorke insists he has "nothing to prove" as he renews his partnership with Andy Cole at Blackburn.

Yorke and Cole combined to deadly effect during Manchester United's treble season in 1999. But Yorke's United career nose-dived and ground to a complete halt last season.

He said: "I don't have anything to prove to anyone," said a defiant Yorke. "My record speaks for itself.

"I'm just happy to be out there playing again. It's a chance to link up with Andy again and people know what we're capable of doing."

Yorke is reluctant to rake over what happened to him at United where he fell out of favour with Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I don't want to dwell on it," he told Sky Sports News. "It's difficult leaving arguably the biggest club in the world. I had some great times and some sad times there but that's all in the past now.

"I'm looking to the future with Blackburn now. I want to get my career going again and Blackburn have given me the chance."

Date of Birth: November 3, 1971

Birthplace: Canaan, Tobago

Height: 180 cm

Weight: 76 kg

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2002, 11:29 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Yorke believes he can recover from difficult season

The Trinidadian striker, who signed for Rovers on Wednesday, spent much of the last 12 months on the bench after three successful seasons at Old Trafford.

"Definitely the most difficult time of my career was last year. There is a lot of pride involved and Blackburn have given me the chance to regain my confidence and self-esteem," he told British newspaper reporters.

"It's the chance to prove to a lot of people out there who think I have not got it anymore.

"But I am a very determined character - that's what got me to Manchester United in the first place.

"I am a hard worker and believe in my own ability. And I am sure the people of Blackburn will enjoy the time I am here.

"Don't get me wrong. I had a great time at United, and I am sure I can leave with my head held high. I achieved things there with a great squad and some top players - and the fans were brilliant.

Yorke added he feels no animosity towards his former manager Alex Ferguson, despite being frustrated at his lack of first team appearances.

"I left on amicable terms. The gaffer shook my hand, I'm still friends with a lot of the players, and I still live in the area," he said.

"I trained every day and did the things required of me through the coaching manual. But it gets frustrating after a while when you have been the main striker and scoring so many goals, but not getting a game."

Yorke signed for United in August 1998, and played 140 games for the side, scoring 64 goals. He made his last appearance in January in their FA Cup fourth round defeat to Middlesbrough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in