Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Libertadores 2002/America de Mexico

09 jul 2002
São Caetano vs. CF América

16 jul 2002
CF América vs. São Caetano

20 Days left for Aguilas to pull the Big One !!!

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2002, 12:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Aguilas in The US

America is playing two major Tune-Up games in US Soil ......
On June 29th In San Jose Vs River Plate
On July 2nd in Houston Vs Boca Juniors ..

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2002, 12:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Zamorano in the News . . . . . .

Even Mexican News sources are hinting now at the extremelly STRONG possibility of BamBam joining Boca Juniors immediately after the Libertadores for a ONE year contract with the Argentinians !!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2002, 12:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

July 3, 2002

Soccer exhibition stirs fans' loyalties

By MELODY GUTIERREZ
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

The scoreless soccer game was a disappointment, and the slow-paced first half left much to be desired.

But the enthusiasm of the fans attending Tuesday night's match between America of Mexico and Boca Juniors of Argentina never let up. The pace of the match picked up in the second half as some of the 13,411 fans found their way out of their seats and into mobs of people who shared the same flag and chanted for the same team.

At halftime, Boca Juniors fans went from one side of the University of Houston's Robertson Stadium to the other in an almost ceremonial march with drums and chanting. They wanted a better place from which to see their team score, said Boca Juniors fan Daniel Nacinovich.

"We are really crazy. We are real fans," Nacinovich said. "It's just very rare to see them (Boca Juniors) in person, and they are here in Houston."

The Boca Juniors fans started to gather 40 minutes before either team hit the field. At a half hour before the game began, they waved flags over their heads, some removed their shirts, and they all began jumping while chanting in Spanish "Come on, Boca. We came here to see you win."

"I can't express all of my feelings," said Areal Ribea of Houston. "I want Boca to win."

Boca is still in preseason play, but for America, the game comes right before the semifinals of Copa Libertadores against Sao Caetano of Brazil.

Ricky Camardo, 22, of Houston was in awe of the celebratory mood of the Boca Juniors fans.

"I like how the Argentinians are. I wish we were like that," Camardo said. "Soccer is a lot more passionate for them than in Mexico. They take it to heart."

World Cup fever might have attracted a few fans, but most of those in attendance were adorned in their team's jerseys and hats before they showed up. But that didn't keep the merchandise inside the stadium from flying off the shelves.

"I just finished watching the World Cup, and I came here because I thought it would be fun," said C.J. Smith of Houston. "It's pretty colorful in the bleachers. I like how the Argentines are making a lot of noise in the small group.

"I'm not really rooting for either team. I'm Scottish. I watch Scotland mainly, but they didn't make it to the World Cup. It's not very often that you get several thousands of Mexicans hanging out and having a good laugh. I will probably never see that again."

But Camardo isn't sure the World Cup had much effect on the attendance.

"Most people here are not American. They are Mexican and Argentinian," he said. "We Americans haven't caught on yet. But as our team gets better, it will. These teams are both very good. Anybody could win this game; that adds to the excitement. And Argentina hates to lose to anyone."

The prideful Boca Juniors fans only sparked the America fans to get rowdy. With sombreros and an imitation trophy cup, America's fans ran with a flag and filled the bleachers next to their opposing fans. But there was no trouble on this night. Fans cheered, and even up to an hour after the game they could be heard chanting for their team.

"This is what we live for," Camardo said.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2002, 20:51 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

DirectV USA is offering a package for $100.00 for the remainder of the Libertadores games left..For the USA viewing public .

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2002, 11:04 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

America travels to Brazil

07/07/2002. BACKGROUND:

On Tuesday Club America and Sao Caetano will kickoff the two teams first semifinal leg of the 2002 Copa Libertadores, in Estadio Anacleto Campanella of São Caetano, Brazil. Club America has been in the Semis before, making it in 2000 against the Boca Juniors. The semis is a very new experience for São Caetano, a team that has only been in existence since 1989 and seems to be enjoying the feel of the competition that takes place in the Copa Libertadores.

LATEST TEAM NEWS:
America:
America won the El Verano (Summer) Championship of Mexico last month, with a stunning victory over Necaxa. After being down on aggregate, America posted a 3-0 victory in the last leg of the Verano, which secured America's first Mexican Championship since 1989. Now that Club America have tasted championship champagne once this year, one can be sure that the Aguilas will want another swig from the bottle.

São Caetano:
São Caetano is starting to build a tradition of being the Bridesmaid, but not becoming the bride. Last year, São Caetano were the runners-up for the Campeonato Brasileiro. Then this year in the Rio/Sao Paulo Tournament, São Caetano made it to the Semi-final round and lost to current Champions, Corinthians. São Caetano had mixed results over the weekend. On Wednesday São Caetano lost to Goias, in their opening match of the 2002 edition of the Copa dos Campeões of Brazil. Then on Saturday, São Caetano got the best of Atletico-PR, with a 2-1 over their archnemsis.

WHO IS HOT
America:
Reinaldo Navia has scored 5 goals in the Libertadores. The 24-year-old Chilean was loaned to the Los Aguilas from the UAG Tecos. Now Navia likes playing with Aguilas and doesn't want to return to Guadalajara.

São Caetano:
Rubens Cardoso is everywhere that São Caetano needs him to be. The defender makes runs up front to create more space for the team's deadly strikers. This will be needed in a bigger supply, as São Caetano has sold Brandao to Ukrainian upstarts Shakhtar Donetsk.

WHO IS NOT
America:
German Villa; what was this guy doing in Korea/Japan this summer? Was he there to provide protection for the rest of El Tri? Anyway, look for this guy to mug either Somalia or Wagner, if they find space in the Aguilas midfield.

São Caetano:
Wagner hasn't scored since March of this year. If São Caetano has any inkling to move onto the next round, they will need to score goals in Brazil because the altitude and smog of Mexico City in the return leg, will stop their fast, moving style for sure.

PROBABLE LINEUPS
America - Adolfo Ríos; Pavel Pardo, Duilio Davino, Andrés Silva, Ricardo Rojas; Antonio Castro; Argemiro Veiga, Alberto Salinas; Christian Patiño, Hugo Castillo, Reynaldo Navia

São Caetano - Sílvio Luiz; Marlon, Daniel, Dininho, Rubens Cardoso; Marcos Senna, Adãozinho, Aílton, Robert; Wagner, Somalia.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2002, 10:07 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

São Caetano hands America their first 2002 Libertadores loss

07/10/2002.

Sao Caetano defeated Club America 2-0, in the first leg of their Semifinal series of the Copa Libertadores on a cold winter night in Estadio Anacleto Campanella of São Caetano, Brazil. The Brazilian squad scored both of their goals in the first half of the match. The first goal came from Somalia, off an excellent executed 1-2 pass with Robert in the 25th minute. Somalia ran through 6 defenders and found himself one on one with Aguilas keeper Adolfo Rios. Somalia put the ball high towards the net. Rios was able to get his hands on the shot, but the shot was just too strong and went into the back of the net. The 2nd goal looked like a play from the Korea/Japan World Cup, which came in the 40th minute. Somalia was able to get himself into another one on one position against Rios. However this time Somalia wasn't able to get a good first touch and Somalia pushed the ball past Rios towards the endline. As Somalia ran to get the ball, he ran into Rios. Somalia instinctively fell onto the pitch and center Judge, Ubaldo Aquino pointed to the spot. Then Adaozinho stepped up to the spot and converted the kick. Aquino denied the score, as he said the players from São Caetano ran into the Aguilas box prematurely. So Adãozinho stepped back up and put another shot pass Rios for a score.

After that goal, São Caetano just hung in their back third and waited to see if America could invent a chance on their goal. America did create some chances, but their efforts were always denied in the end. Then in the 93rd minute of the match, São Caetano defender Russo got tangled with Reinaldo Navia and both players were shown red. Navia's expulsion might be more detrimental, because America will need to score 3 goals in the return leg at Mexico City on July 16th, to get into the final round of the Copa Libertadores. Let it be known that America does hold a serious advantage in the final leg of the Semifinal round, due to the altitude of Mexico City, but São Caetano has the 2-0 aggregate lead. Can São Caetano hold onto this advantage ? Stay tune for the next match in Estadio Azteca next week, to find out the ultimate truth.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2002, 14:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

C'mon America.....July 16th (My daughter's B'Day) has to be the day when you Beat the Brazucas in the Azteca....
Dont let me down...Plz !!!

Si Se Puede !!!!!!!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2002, 09:45 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

São Caetano puts away the Aguilas

07/17/2002.

Sao Caetano and Club America tangled on Tuesday evening in Estadio Azteca of Mexico City, the same Estadio Azteca that Brazil won the World Cup 32 years ago. Of course there were very few Brazilians fans on hand, as the locals came out to support their beloved Aguilas. Unfortunately for them, those fans would be disappointed as São Caetano held America to a 1-1 draw and advanced to the finals of the Copa Libertadores with a 3-1 aggregate win. America looked unbeatable in the matches before the Semi-finals, but the man called Somalia was just too much to handle for the Aguilas. Somalia continued to create opportunities for São Caetano and in the 9th minute the tall linky striker terrorized again. São Caetano sent a long ball into the right corner of America's area. Somalia got possession, but had Duilio Davino and Alberto Salinas marking him. Somalia was able to shake Salinas, but Davino won possession. However, Davino wasn't able to clear the ball and Somalia regained the ball. Somalia sent a low cross in front of the Aguilas net, which got by Adolfo Rios. Ailton got to the ball, but with two defenders on him. The ball bounced around on the line, but Antonio Castro kicked the ball into the net. Still Aílton was credited with the goal.

So with an away goal and a 3-0 aggregate lead, São Caetano just hung back in their defensive third baiting America to try to score. America was in desperate straits, as they would need 4 goals to make it to the finals. With 8 to 9 São Caetano players in their end, the Aguilas were doomed. However the Agulias did put up a valiant effort. With the score still at 1-0 at the beginning of the second half, America headman Manuel Lapuente inputted Luis Hernandez and Jesus Mendoza for help in creating goals. At first Lapuente looked like a genius, because in the 49th minute America earned a free kick in front of the São Caetano penalty area. The ball was placed 25 yards out and Pavel Pardo connected on a beautiful free kick, which went around the wall and into the upper "V" of the net for the score. However that would be the last Hurrah for the Aguilas and their fans. São Caetano excellent ball control and well-organized defense, would take the air out the Aguilas attack.

The result brought an end to the Mexican dominance in the 2002 Libertadores. America had done so well in this tournament, starting with their remarkable victory over River Plate in the El Monumental back on February 28th. The Aguilas run brought a little pressure CSF, which had to make a statement about the representative of South America in the Intercontinental Cup later this year, which showcases the winners of the Libertadores against the winner of the Champions' League. At the America was unbeaten and looking as a guarantee finalist, so the CSF wanted to make sure there was no uncertainty that America wasn't going to represent South America in the match. Now São Caetano will await the winner of the Olimpia/Gremio semi-final tie. Those two combatants will face off tomorrow in Estadio Olímpico Monumental of Porto Alegre, Brazil.

Regardless of the elimination..America lost one single game, which didnt allow them to be in the Finals..One GREAT run in this years Cup !!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 17:43 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

No to Libertadores 2003 ...

America Will Not participate in the Mexican Liguillas to determine the 2 Mexican Teams for the 2003 Libertadores.
They have prioritized the Mexican Leagues instead !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in