post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2002, 11:09 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Copa de Oro Semifinals

Costa Rica Vs Korea

USA Vs Canada

Wednesday Nite 1-30-02 in Pasadena !!!!

I guess this is a USA-Costa Rica Final...at least I hope so !!!

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2002, 15:07
Premier Player

Teams: Juventus
I hope so to.
But I believe that Korea is a hard rival, anyway, We will find out on wednesday

Be aware... Juventus is comming back for what is ours!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2002, 18:29
Legend

Korea will have a hard time with Costa Rica if they think they can hack their way through again.

On the other game, it won't surprise me if Canada upset us since they play a very disciplined game.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2002, 10:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsocfan
Korea will have a hard time with Costa Rica if they think they can hack their way through again.

On the other game, it won't surprise me if Canada upset us since they play a very disciplined game.
I really dont know (And truly dont care either) if Korea came with their "A" Team.....If so., they SUCK biiiig time and made it to the WC on their home field bye...Mexico with a team made of mostly unknowns in the Nationals gave them a hard time...Costa Rica should sweep them easily.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2002, 10:22 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

U.S., Canada square off for spot in Gold Cup final

Rolling after a 4-0 thrashing of El Salvador, the United States will look to secure a spot in the final of the FC Gold Cup Wednesday night at the Rose Bowl when they take on Canada in the evening’s second semi-final.

U.S. coach Bruce Arena, however, is cautious of his northern rivals and reigning Gold Cup champions.

“They’re difficult to play against and they've been very successful here,” Arena said. “No one's been able to eliminate them now in two tries so that's got to be quite a task. They play everyone tough.”

Canada’s lone defeat in the tournament came at the hands of Ecuador when they conceded two goals in the final five minutes of the match. Canada, however, needed to draw lots in order to earn a berth in the quarter-final of the Gold Cup after all three group D sides finished with three points.

In the quarter-final, Canada needed penalty kicks to get past tiny Martinique.

The U.S. is coming off an impressive performance against El Salvador and seem to have found an offensive rhythm after scoring only two goals in the run of play in their two group matches.

Brian McBride will lead the American attack. McBride notched an early hat-trick for the U.S. against El Salvador and will be looked upon to lead the offense against Canada.

The U.S. will go into the match a little banged up, however. Defender Carlos Bocanegra did not participate fully in practice yesterday as he is still nursing an injury suffered in their very physical match with El Salvador.

American striker Ante Razov also practiced at half speed because of a groin problem. Razov scored the fourth goal against El Salvador.

Canada are powered by Scotland-based defender Kevin McKenna. McKenna, who has been moved to the forward line, leads the team in goals, having netted three in as many matches. Along with McKenna, David Xausa and Paul Stalteri will provide Canada’s offensive punch.

“They have a real physical presence,” Arena said. “They’re outstanding on attacking restarts and that's an area where they get all their goals.”

Tony Menezes, who plays for Brazilian club Botafogo, will anchor the Canadian defense. Menezes, along with Jason DeVos and Mark Rogers, will look to stifle the recently invigorated American attack.

Scottish-based midfielder Nick Dasovic returns to the Canada line-up after sitting out the Martinique game on a yellow-card suspension.

U.S. striker Clint Mathis should figure to see ample time against Canada. Mathis returned to the national team after a torn ACL kept him out of action for seven months. Mathis played the final 30 minutes against El Salvador, showing, however, that he still has a ways to go before regaining complete match-fitness.

“It’s all about getting in the game and I still have to work on the last ten percent of my game,” Mathis said. “I’m just happy to be training in a competitive game. It’s a matter of getting more match-fit.”

Probable lineups

USA- Kasey Keller; Frankie Hejduk, Carlos Bocanegra, Jeff Agoos, Pablo Mastroeni; Eddie Lewis, Chris Armas, Cobi Jones, Landon Donovan; Brian McBride, Josh Wolff

Canada- Lars Hirschfeld; Jason DeVos, Tony Menezes, Mark Rogers, Nick Dasovic; Richard Hastings, Jim Brennan, Daniel Imhof, Paul Stalteri; Davide Xausa, Kevin McKenna

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2002, 10:28 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Former coach predicts Canadian struggle

(www.teamtalk.com) --

Bob Lenarduzzi’s journalistic head wins over his proudly Canadian heart as he fears a victory for the USA in the Gold Cup semi-final in Pasadena.

The former Canada national team coach, working as a TV commentator at the tournament, believes that the Americans will continue their sequence of domination in fixtures between the two countries.

Canada has not beaten the US since April 1985, going 0-4-4 since then, including six shutouts.

Lenarduzzi figured in several of those games, both as player and coach, but this will be the first meeting since Holger Osieck took over the helm in 1998.

“I watched the US play El Salvador (in the quarter-final), and they were very dominant,” Lenarduzzi told TEAMtalk.

“They only have one of their European-based players at the tournament, goalkeeper Kasey Keller, but I still think they’ve got enough to get by Canada.

“As much as I’m a patriot and would love for Canada to get a result against them, I think we’re going to have to play a game that is at our very best in order to (beat them).”

The form guide suggests Canada faces a difficult task. Osieck’s team are ranked 24th in the world by FIFA, whilst the World Cup-bound US squad is close to breaking into the top 20.

Canada’s striker Dwayne De Rosario, who plays with and against most of the US stars in the MLS, is impressed by them. He told Canadian Press: “America has a lot to offer these days. They have youth and they have experience.

“The combination can become very lethal…America, their football has definitely risen.”

Missing three key strikers from the squad through injury, Sheffield United’s Paul Peschisolido, Tomasz Radzinski of Everton and Oldham’s Carlo Corazzin, Canada have been forced into an unlikely switch.

But having Hearts defender Kevin McKenna as an attacker has paid off so far in the tournament, as he has scored three goals.

Lenarduzzi concedes that the long-standing failure of the team to score goals has led to so many disappointing results and a slide down the FIFA rankings.

“It’s a huge problem,” he said. “We have players that are capable, but we never seem to have them at the same time.

“Radzinski, for instance, had committed to playing in the Gold Cup but he was then injured.

“It’s our weakest area. But quite frankly, once you go beyond the top 40 countries, goalscoring is always difficult, especially when you go in against the higher ranked countries.

“Most of the time you’re going to end up back on your heels and looking to counter-attack teams. That’s a style of play that has been quite prominent with the way Canadian teams play.”

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2002, 13:54
Legend

Although I'd give US a 60-40 slight edge, we've all seen that Canada is quite capable of surprising anyone in the region. It should e a close, low-scoring game. I sure hope Arena is asking the boys to practice their PK's!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2002, 16:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

I just hope Lenarduzzi is right !!!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2002, 19:25
Rising Star

Canadias feel Underdogs

29.01.02 - Canada technical director Holger Osieck says despite the mantle of defending champions, his side are most decidedly the underdogs in their FC Gold Cup 2002 semifinal against the USA on Wednesday at the Rose Bowl.
The USA has a seemingly inexperienced team, drawn almost entirely from domestic clubs in Major League Soccer, but Osieck feels that is misleading.

"I just disagree with what people keep telling me," said Osieck. "The only one who is really missing is (Claudio) Reyna in midfield, and (Earnie) Stewart, but the rest are here.

“I know that Bruce Arena has been building the new team and he gives the young guys like (Landon) Donovan and even the young kid (DaMarcus) Beasley the opportunity to play, he still has the veterans like (Brian) McBride, like (Ante) Razov around, so it's definitely the full squad with the two exceptions."

Osieck said whoever wins the battle between Canadian wingbacks Jim Brennan and Daniel Imhof, and U.S. wide midfielders Eddie Lewis and Cobi Jones, will control the contest: "They definitely will try to close us down and outplay us on the flanks. The game will be decided on the flanks."

Though the USA hasn’t lost to Canada since 1985, a run of eight matches, U.S. head coach Bruce Arena is concerned with the threat their opponents present.

"I haven't seen Canada play in this tournament yet. I know generally how they play and what they are like. Obviously, they are very difficult to play against and they have been very successful here. No one's been able to eliminate them in this tournament now in two tries, so that's going to be quite a task on our hands,” Arena said.

“They play everyone tough. Even the game they lost in this tournament, I think it went 88 minutes before Ecuador got on the board. They have a real physical presence. They are outstanding on attacking restarts, and that's an area where probably get all their goals,” he said.

Arena saw his team advance to the semifinals after a 4:0 victory against El Salvador. The performance followed a first round where the USA scored three goals in two games, one from the penalty spot.

“We were productive in the first two games. We won those two games. We were probably in the toughest group in this tournament, which people fail to notice,” Arena said. “Obviously we didn't create the kinds of chances in the previous two games that we did (against El Salvador). … As we continue to move forward in this tournament I think our guys will have a little more confidence and be a little bit more comfortable in taking their chances."

For the second consecutive Gold Cup, Canada advanced through good fortune in a draw, selected as Group C winner after they, Haiti and Ecuador finished absolutely level following the two group matches. Though that led to a title in 2000, the Maple Leafs are again feeling like they are at a disadvantage.

"They (the USA) are the home team, they'll have their support behind them, they'll be expected to win," Canada captain Jason deVos said. "Again we'll find ourselves in the position of being the underdogs. In the past we've shown that we're quite comfortable with that.

"Coming from Canada, we're used to people never doing us any favours. We always seem to be fighting some sort of adversity, and that can be a beneficial thing. We can use that in our favour. It definitely does bring players together and unifies the team," he said.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2002, 19:26
Rising Star

Korea-Costa Rica

29.01.02 - For the third time in the Gold Cup, Korea Republic will face a team traveling to this summer’s FIFA World Cup finals when they meet Costa Rica in a semifinal match Wednesday at the Rose Bowl. While technical director Guus Hiddink doesn’t know much about his opponent, that is enough to tell him his side will again be tested.
“When you look at the past results of Costa Rica in the last months they have had many successes and they are peaking at a good time in this tournament. They will be a difficult team for us to beat,” Hiddink said.

“I have a lot of respect for Costa Rica. … I can’t really speak about any individual players, but what is important for me is their style of play. Costa Rica has a good idea within themselves of their concept of play. They are continually looking to venture forward and they always have a positive attitude like that.”

Hiddink’s side reached the semifinals having scored just one goal in three matches, winning their quarterfinal match against Mexico on penalties after a scoreless draw through 120 minutes.

“It is the biggest problem that I’ve seen in our team to this point. Creating only some five clear chances in an international game is good enough, but it’s also somewhat worrying to me that we aren’t taking the goals from those chances we create,” Hiddink said. “I can’t be the one to score them – I’m too old. The players on the field have to maintain their confidence, and the ones playing are training more.

“One of the biggest faults is that when Korean players arrive in goalscoring opportunities in the area they have a great sense of happiness, and they forget to be very cold, very calm,” he said.

Costa Rica will face their biggest test of the Gold Cup as they continue to strive to be the first Central American champion of the Confederation championship. Technical director Alexandre Guimaraes saw his side defeat Haiti in the quarterfinals on a golden goal, after a 2:0 victory against Martinique and a 1:1 draw with Trinidad & Tobago in the first round.

"It will be a much different game than those we played in Miami," said Guimaraes. “I think it will be a good opponent for us, in what we are trying to achieve (toward the World Cup) other than our main objective, which is to win the Gold Cup."

Guimaraes said the contest will also provide a good measuring stick for his side, and a chance to play a different style that necessary in their first-round contests, all against Caribbean opposition.

"The Koreans give us a chance to match up with an extremely fast transition team on both offense and defense,” said. "After the first round and the quarterfinals I am very satisfied with the capacity of the group to mold itself under the different circumstances of a game, take the good from adversity and turn things around toward a victory."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2002, 10:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Wanchope double guides Costa Rica into Gold Cup final

Wanchope double guides Costa Rica into Gold Cup final
By Nigel Hunt

PASADENA, California, Jan 30 (Reuters) - Paulo Wanchope struck twice in the last 14 minutes to lead Costa Rica into the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup with a 3-1 win over World Cup co-hosts South Korea on Wednesday.

Costa Rica went in front two minutes before halftime in the semifinal tie when Ronald Gomez, who plays for Greek side OFI Crete, fired home from seven yards.

South Korea hit back by dominating the start of the second half but they wasted a string of good opportunities.

Costa Rica made them pay for their generosity in the 76th minute when Wanchope, who plays for English first division leaders Manchester City, made it 2-0.

Choi Jin-Cheul pulled one back for South Korea 60 seconds later but Wanchope outpaced the defence to score his second goal of the game from just inside the penalty box within a minute.

``We created some chances but our big problem is to finalise. It doesn't help you if you have a lot of possession when you don't make the goal,'' South Korea's Dutch coach Guus Hiddink told reporters.

Costa Rica will play the United States in the final here on Sunday.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2002, 10:21 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

U.S. advances to Gold Cup final on penalty kicks;

PASADENA, California (Ticker) -- The United States finally solved Lars Hirschfeld with a series of penalty kicks and advanced to the CONCACAF Gold Cup final with a victory over Canada on Wednesday night.

Hirschfeld was simply outstanding throughout the run of play, making a spectacular series of saves early in the second half and stopping a pair of sure goals in sudden-death overtime.

But the Canadians could not solve Kasey Keller, who made two saves during the penalty phase. Meanwhile, the Americans put four past Hirschfeld, whose nerves finally gave way.

Team USA advanced to Saturday's final and will face Costa Rica, a 3-1 winner over Korea in the early semifinal. A crowd of 4,000 for the opener at the Rose Bowl had dwindled to about 700 by the end of the nightcap, which finished well after 2 a.m. EST.

The U.S. was all over Canada from the start. Driving down the field at will, the Americans exploited the tremendous amount of space the Canadians conceded.

The Americans did everything right -- they ran well off the ball, they made chances, they created space. But they could not score as Hirschfeld made save after save.

No matter where the Yanks shot, Hirschfeld seemed to be there. It was a remarkable performance for a goal keeper that has been dogged with a shaky reputation.

Hirschfeld forced penalty kicks onto the Americans by saving a point-blank rocket in the 110th minute from Brian West and a blistering shot by Clint Mathis in the 117th.

Hirschfeld also made the plays of the game by standing up Josh Wolff and Brian McBride three times in 30 seconds. Wolff hit a shot just off the crossbar in the 54th that fell right to McBride, who scored three times in the last game, McBride teed it up, but somehow Hirschfeld made the save. The rebound went back to Wolff, and Hirschfeld saved again. The ball fell once again to McBride, and once more Hirschfeld managed to stop it.

The Canadians made few forays at goal, defending and biding their time. Playing with only one forward -- converted center Kevin McKenna -- on the back, the Canadians tried to control the pace of the game by playing kick-and-run.

Their lone chance came when Jason de Vos forced Keller to make a one-handed save in injury time in the first half.

Where McBride left off, teen phenom Landon Donovan picked up as the dynamo driving Team USA's offense. Donovan looked extremely sharp in midfield, was involved in every attack and had many chances.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old January 31st, 2002, 16:31
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsocfan
Although I'd give US a 60-40 slight edge, we've all seen that Canada is quite capable of surprising anyone in the region. It should be a close, low-scoring game. I sure hope Arena is asking the boys to practice their PK's!
I'm glad Arena and I thought about the same thing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in