Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Gold Cup Quater Finals

Quarter-finals

Jan 26 - Costa Rica v Haiti in Miami
Jan 26 - Canada v Martinique in Miami

Jan 27 - Mexico v South Korea in Pasadena
Jan 27 - U.S. v El Salvador in Pasadena

Chairman of the BORED !!!!!& MASTER BAITER

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2002, 18:41 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

My predictions out of the Quaterfinals this weekend:

Costa Rica/Canada/Mexico/USA

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2002, 11:29 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

So far out of Miami..Im right in the $$$

Defending champion Canada survived a penalty kick shootout and World Cup qualifier Costa Rica needed overtime Saturday at the Orange Bowl, but both made it to the CONCACAF Gold Cup semifinals.

The Canadians eliminated tiny Martinique, 6-5, on penalties after the teams played a 1-1 draw in their quarterfinal match. Canada will face the winner of Sunday's match between the United States and El Salvador on Wednesday at the Rose Bowl.

Costa Rica knocked out Haiti, 2-1, on Ronald Gomez's goal seven minutes into the first 15-minute sudden-death period. The Ticos will play the winner of Sunday's Mexico-South Korea match in Wednesday's other semifinal.

Canada, which gained the quarterfinal round on a drawing of lots, continued to ride its Gold Cup good fortune, although an own goal by Mark Rogers put them behind the Caribbean side in the 63rd minute.

Kevin McKenna's goal in the 73rd minute produced the 1-1 draw and overtime did not resolve the issue. Canada won the tiebreaker to advance.

Costa Rica grabbed a fast lead over Haiti when Walter Centeno scored in the second minute. But Golman Pierre leveled things in the 62nd minute, setting the stage for Gomez's overtime winner.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2002, 10:00 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Hey !!! 3 out of 4 aint bad...Considering the team the Mexicans fielded..whixh I finally got to see Vs The Koreans... ... No wonder they didnt advance..Mexico with 1/2 their A team would made a mess of the S Koreans......

So its Korea Vs C Rica and the USA Vs Canada !!!!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2002, 10:04 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Arena hails attackers' finishing skills as USA advances in Gold Cup

Arena hails attackers' finishing skills as USA advances in Gold Cup
COMMENTARY - By William Olson
dailysoccer.com American Soccer Correspondent

January 28, 2002 (DS) - United States coach Bruce Arena hailed the much-maligned finishing skills of his strikers following the USA's 4-0 win over El Salvador in their CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinal-round match at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, on Sunday afternoon.

Brian McBride, one of those strikers whose wayward finishing has been the object of much scrutiny, was the main protagonist, completing a 12-minute first-half hat-trick to lead the way before strike partner Ante Razov completed the scoring well into the second half when the result against an El Salvador side which had gone down to ten men was no longer in doubt.

Arena gave particular praise to McBride, whose efforts have signalled a return to form in a checkered 12-month period marked by various injuries, including the return of a blood clot in his left arm last winter.

"There's no question he's made it back from his injuries, which is good news. He's not where he wants to be, or where I want him to be, and that's just going to take some time," said Arena.

"Brian does a lot of good things on the field. I thought his performance against Cuba was outstanding, and today obviously who can argue with the three goals. He's been good, and it's a real good sign to see in the early going that we have Brian back," he added.

McBride, meanwhile, took great satisfaction after scoring goals in the ninth, eleventh and 21st minutes that put the game out of reach by the intermission.

"It feels really good. I think our runs in the box today were excellent," said McBride afterwards. "Ante [Razov] made a lot of runs that freed up space for me. It just so happened that I was in the right place today. It feels really good to score in the run of play, and more so it's great for us to get a few goals and keep our momentum going."

McBride also felt that it was up to the team as a whole to put their finishing woes behind them after lackluster finishing in first-round wins over South Korea and Cuba only merited three goals.

"We came out wanting to get after them from the beginning. Another important thing we talked about was getting that second goal right away and continuing to push forward. Our finishing was much better today," he said.

And McBride was also adamant in saying that his injury battles are behind him. "I feel good. My physical condition is good," McBride said, while adding about his blood clot disorder: "That's not on my mind any more. The vein that was involved is dead, so it should be no problem."

Arena also praised the efforts of Clint Mathis, who made his first international appearance in seven months after spelling McBride in the 63rd minute and put forth a solid effort.

"I'm glad we got him back on the field today," said Arena. "It's going to take him probably another two months before he's ready, but it's good to see him on the field."

"I think psychologically this helps him just to put the uniform back on and to step on the field. I can tell he's still not there. He doesn't have the explosiveness. But his first touch is still like it was when he was injured in June, and he still has great vision. I think he still has a little bit more to go in the physical aspect, but I'm confident that as we move into the spring he's going to get back to 100 percent."

"I think it was a good test. It helps already being three up, which takes a bit of the pressure off. I hope I can continue to push forward and get some more of these games in and continue to get fit," said Mathis.

The USA will play defending Gold Cup holders Canada at the Rose Bowl in one of the two semifinals on Wednesday, while World Cup co-hosts South Korea-- which surprisingly ousted Mexico on penalty kicks in the first of the two quarterfinal games in Pasadena on Sunday-- will take on Costa Rica in the other semifinal.

"We obviously started the game in strong fashion today in getting an early goal, and the second one following shortly after made our task a lot easier today," said Arena about Sunday's overall effort tempered by heavy rain and the 64th-minute ejection of El Salvador's Marvin Benitez. "As the game went on, it was a matter of survival with the elements, the field conditions, and having to deal with some pretty bad fouls. Now our challenge is to get our team ready for Wednesday."

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2002, 12:15 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

McBride good for 3 goals as USA beats El Salvador

As far as Brian McBride is concerned, the blood clots in his arm that sidelined him for five months "are history."

He certainly looked healthy Sunday, becoming the first U.S. national team player to score as many as three goals in a game since 1993. He scored three times in a 12-minute span of the first half to carry the United States to a 4-0 victory over El Salvador.

The win, coming in a constant drizzle before a Rose Bowl crowd of 31,628, propelled the United States into Wednesday's semifinal against Gold Cup defending champion Canada.

McBride, who returned to the team last month, said, "I feel good. My physical condition is good."

He added that he doesn't worry about the blood disorder that caused his arm problem, saying, "That's not on my mind any more. The vein that was involved is dead, so it should be no problem."

Great Going Golden Boy !!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in