"Mexico won't win the WC" Aguirre says - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2001, 08:17 Thread Starter
Star Player

"Mexico won't win the WC" Aguirre says

http://www.latimes.com

Coach Says Mexico Won't Win World Cup Title

By Paul Gutierrez
When Javier Aguirre took over the Mexican national soccer team in June, Los Tricolores was foundering.

Mexico, a long-time CONCACAF power, was in serious jeopardy of not qualifying for the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan.

Enter Aquirre, who took over for Enrique Meza. "When I got to the national team, I found tired players without desire," Aguirre said Tuesday at the fourth Honda soccer symposium in Beverly Hills. "And we came in and changed that and called up 18 new players."

Playing under its third coach in the last 15 months, Mexico rallied in qualifying play, going 4-0-1 in its final five matches under Aguirre to place second in CONCACAF behind Costa Rica and ahead of the United States.

Mexico will play in Group G in Japan, with Croatia, Ecuador and Italy.

"Mexico did not play good soccer during qualifying during my tenure," Aguirre said. "But the important thing is that we did enough to qualify.

"We are not going to be champions in Korea. My goal is to make it to the round of 16."

Aguirre based his aspiration on the seeming lack of quality players at his disposal, especially with Cuauhtemoc Blanco recently leaving Tricolores .

"The reality is that I do not have many players like Blanco, but the team is more important than one player," Aguirre said. "If Blanco is hungry enough and has the desire, he will be on the team. If not, that will be a sign that he has a full stomach, and that would not be useful to us.

"The future of Mexican soccer does not look great. We really need to work very hard for many, many years to come. I have five months to work on the mentality of the Mexican player."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2001, 10:23
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
One thing for sure and without any doubts..Aguirre has both feet on the ground and a clear mind, and that is excellent, because for people like Palencia to be saying that they're as good as Argentina and or Brazil ... .....
Aguirre can take them to the round of 16..

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2001, 12:03
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
I don't think Mexico are a team that can win the World Cup. Not for the next 2 or 3 World Cups at least. They will have a tough time getting past the first round as well.

Was King Italy..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in