Mexico to host 2010 WC? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2008, 02:47 Thread Starter
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Mexico to host 2010 WC?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...up2010&cc=5901

Mexico ready to replace SA for 2010 World Cup

Mexico is ready and willing to host the 2010 World Cup should South Africa be unable to host the event, according to the general secretary of the nation's governing body Decio De Maria.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter recently claimed three countries were in line to step in should South Africa not be ready for the tournament in two years' time.

Fears over South Africa's preparations have arisen since it emerged the new stadium in Port Elizabeth had fallen behind schedule and would not be ready in time to stage Confederations Cup games next summer.

The Mexican Football Federation (FMF) won the rights to host the 2011 Under-17 World Cup and De Maria said with work well underway to improve the nation's stadia they would be equipped to host FIFA's showpiece event if required.

'We have said it more than once. We enjoy being hosts, we have the stadiums and, if it happens, we will be ready to the call,' De Maria told goal.com.

'We have already raised our hand. They gave us the organisation of the Under-17 World Cup and now we have to wait FIFA's final decision.

'We have always mentioned that we are a country with infrastructure, with resources and with great fans.

'For that we made a huge work to host the Under-17 tournament in 2011. Mexico's credentials are there.'

Mexico has hosted two World Cup tournaments previously - in 1970 and 1986.
---

It would be great if Mexico could host the tournament. The stadiums are there already and would probably not need too much in the way of preparation, and of course having the final in the Azteca would be impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2008, 15:27
Star Player

Aye, World Cup in Mexico would have for sure a great atmosphere, Mexicans are very passionate about football. Egoistically, the down side for me would be games in the deep night.
Tim , would you move your cowboy ass from Christ's Body and go to watch some matches there?

Pieniądze to nie wszystko
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2008, 05:05
Rising Star

Teams: F. C. Barcelona
This would be incredible

"Los relojes no miden el tiempo, nos miden a nosotros, cada segundo tenemos más tiempo, cada dos segundos tenemos menos tiempo."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2008, 18:26 Thread Starter
Tim
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Aye, World Cup in Mexico would have for sure a great atmosphere, Mexicans are very passionate about football. Egoistically, the down side for me would be games in the deep night.
Tim , would you move your cowboy ass from Christ's Body and go to watch some matches there?
I would certainly make an effort to be there. Regardless, I think it would make for a very interesting experience in southern Texas anyhow, since the majority of the people here identify with Mexico rather than the US when it comes to football, and so I reckon everyone would be extremely excited.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2008, 16:50
Arsenalation
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal & Sampdoria
I wouold drop everything I am doing if the 2010 World Cup comes to Mexico.

the 2 greatest WCs in history have both been there and doubtless this would be another one.

IN THAT MOST SACRED OF FOOTBALL SHRINES, THE GREAT ESTADIO AZTECA

"It's not only winning but how you win."

Vicente del Bosque.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in