Lippi tips hat to Mexico - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2006, 05:56 Thread Starter
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Lippi tips hat to Mexico

Lippi tips hat to Mexico Sunday 19 November, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi has confirmed he was asked to take charge of Mexico and explained why Italy won the World Cup.

“Recently there has been talk of me at the helm of the Mexican national side, of Napoli or Milan. This is because I am the only Coach sitting at home at the moment, so it’s easy to connect me to various jobs,” he told ‘Quelli Che il Calcio’ on RAI Due.

“With all honesty, I can tell you that there isn’t a word of truth in any of these stories. The only real link I had was a very simple phone conversation with a director from the Mexican Federation.”

The most recent development suggests he’ll replace Carlo Ancelotti on the Rossoneri bench, perhaps even before the end of the season. What would he say if Milan called?

“Any answer I give to that would be misinterpreted. I can’t talk about something that doesn’t exist. Besides, nobody knows what scenarios could pan out in May.”

Lippi had already won every available club trophy at Juventus and resigned from the Italy bench after lifting the World Cup.

“We won because we were strong, something we proved even before the tournament by beating Holland 3-1 and Germany 4-1 in friendlies. We started with very few people around us, so we were relaxed and didn’t feel the pressure. On our return to Italy, two million met us at the airport.”

Lippi pointed to the controversial victory over Australia in the second round as the key moment in their campaign.

“That was the most difficult moment for us. The game was dragging on and the idea of going to extra time in 10 men didn’t please us, so Fabio Grosso’s run – another sign that this wasn’t a team that focused only on defending – gave us a victory that provided a wonderful morale boost.”

The team-work is what most impressed about the Azzurri in Germany 2006 and Lippi assures it wasn’t all his doing.

“The players talked among themselves and told each other this was an opportunity they could not afford to lose. There was no need for me to remind them! They were so united and all facing the same direction, which is why it didn’t matter so much that Francesco Totti wasn’t 100 per cent fit. We all knew he could invent something at any moment to turn the game.”

Now it looks as if Fabio Cannavaro will be given the Ballon d’Or, narrowly pipping Gianluigi Buffon to the post.

“There were seven Italians nominated in the 50-man shortlist and the top two, we don’t know in what order yet, will be Azzurri players. That’s a fantastic achievement and the right way to crown an extraordinary year,” continued the Coach.

“If Cannavaro wins, then there could be disappointment after three weeks in which Buffon was tipped to take it, but these are two such intelligent people that I’m sure there will be no problems between them.”

channel4

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2006, 02:25
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Liverpool FC
I think it was right to give it to Hugo Sanchez so he can shut the **** up now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in