Gold Cup 2007 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 182 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2006, 14:31 Thread Starter
Rookie

Teams: LIVERPOOL & ENGLAND
Gold Cup 2007

I see that one of the groups has 3 non FIFA countries in it.. Martinique, Guadeloupe and Saint Martin.. Dominica are the other country in this group.. I know the countries will be poor standard but do any familiar European based players actually return to play for these countries...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2006, 18:15
Premier Player

Teams: MEXICO Chivas Bayer Leverkusen Porto PSV
Its possible if they are not participating with their current clubs at that time....
post #3 of 182 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 19:18
Rising Star

Teams: Mexico NT, Club America, Bayern Munchen
It has already been speculated that Brazil and South Africa will be the invited guests to this tournament.

post #4 of 182 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 20:08
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Liverpool FC
the most useless tournament and with the lowest standars of all the continents.

CONCACAF teams should go and play in Copa America. Or at least Mexico, USA, and Costa Rica.
post #5 of 182 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 20:59
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty
the most useless tournament and with the lowest standars of all the continents.

CONCACAF teams should go and play in Copa America. Or at least Mexico, USA, and Costa Rica.
I imagine the OFC championship might be worse now...:undecide:

That being said I'm still a big advocate of just playing in the Copa America, as I feel it will definitely raise the standards of North American soccer. Hell, its the Copa America, not the Copa Sudamerica...

As for Guadeloupe, Saint Martin, Martinique, and Dominica, they are pretty crappy and don't have any players in Europe as far as I know. Maybe they have some in obscure English leagues or something. I remember reading that this guy who played in a Sunday league or something got called up for Turks & Caicos. I'm not sure about Martinique or Saint Martin, but I imagine its the same as Guadeloupe, where since the places are technically part of France proper (that's why they are not affiliated to FIFA), all the good players (Thuram for example) play for France. Dominica, being its own independent country, is like normal, they just don't produce very good footballers.

As for the qualification, Martinique or Guadeloupe will most likely qualify from the group, but that doesn't mean they qualify for the group, as they just qualify for a greater Carribean championship which will include every team in the Carribean zone like Trinidad, Jamaica, Cuba, Guyana, etc. The winners of groups go into playoffs until there are four teams left (usually Trinidad and Jamaica as well as Haiti, Cuba, Barbados, or St. Vincent) and the top three in a group consisting of the four teams qualify for the actual Gold Cup. Also serves as the Carribean championship.

In addition to those three, four teams out of seven from Central America qualify and the USA, Canada, Mexico, and two invited teams automatically qualify, making 12.

If I had to speculate as to who would qualify this year, I would say Trinidad, Jamaica, Barbados from Carribean and Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, and El Salvador from Central America.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #6 of 182 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2006, 21:26
Rising Star

The Gold Cup is actually the second worst cup in the world. I do agree that Concacaf and Conmebol should merge for the Copa America. Instead of being a 12 nation competition it should be a 16 nation competition. The top six from COncacaf and the ten from Conmebol.
Mexico, USA, Canada, Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica
post #7 of 182 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
why are Mexico allowed to play in the Copa America but not the likes of USA and Jamaica/T&T?
post #8 of 182 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:10
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Liverpool FC
USA was invited, but they turn down the invitation.

very stupid from them if its true.
post #9 of 182 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:22
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

yeah it is, nobody cares about the Gold Cup...we really should start entering the Copa America, good tournament to prepare for World Cups and USA would probably do decent in it
post #10 of 182 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2006, 13:25 Thread Starter
Rookie

Teams: LIVERPOOL & ENGLAND
Have to disagree with the comment of nobody cares.. Just because it isn't a world class competition doesn't detract from the importance of the Digicel Cup, which is what it is called until it becomes the Gold Cup after the qualifiers.. Most,if not all the players who represent their countries in this competition will disagree with the 'Nobody cares comment'....
post #11 of 182 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2006, 09:47
Star Player

Teams: Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by naervod
If I had to speculate as to who would qualify this year, I would say Trinidad, Jamaica, Barbados from Carribean and Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, and El Salvador from Central America.
Replace Barbados with Cuba and El Salvador with Guatemala.
post #12 of 182 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 19:38
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
why are Mexico allowed to play in the Copa America but not the likes of USA and Jamaica/T&T?
Because Mexico is way better than overrated USA!!! Although I do agree that Jamaica and T&T should be given a chance.
post #13 of 182 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 20:44
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android 17
Because Mexico is way better than overrated USA!!! Although I do agree that Jamaica and T&T should be given a chance.
Hmmm... our recent record against you would say otherwise. Since the beginning of 2000 we have won six, drawn one, and lost two. And we beat you when it counted most.

But the USA has turned down the inviations every tournament since 1997 because it clashes with the MLS season. Which is stupid. But nonetheless, when we did participate in 1993 we didn't do so well but we got fourth in 1995.

NWO BABY
post #14 of 182 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 20:50
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar
Replace Barbados with Cuba and El Salvador with Guatemala.
Ah, yes, I forgot. Though El Salvador and Barbados aren't that much worse than Guatemala and Cuba, respectively.

NWO BABY
post #15 of 182 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 21:50
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by naervod
Hmmm... our recent record against you would say otherwise. Since the beginning of 2000 we have won six, drawn one, and lost two. And we beat you when it counted most.

But the USA has turned down the inviations every tournament since 1997 because it clashes with the MLS season. Which is stupid. But nonetheless, when we did participate in 1993 we didn't do so well but we got fourth in 1995.
Its funny cause all those matches were played in the US. How about US starts playing us in Azteca for once!!!
post #16 of 182 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 22:35
World Class Player

Last time I checked, the 2002 World Cup was not held in the US. And you know why the US finished top of the WC Qualifying for CONCACAF this time 'round? Because we had a better head-to-head record, because we actually scored in the Azteca. Whereas in the match in the USA you couldn't score in an almost sea-level stadium with about one third as many fans rooting against you. And they weren't wearing bin Laden masks and chanting "Osama, Osama" at the Mexican team.

NWO BABY

Last edited by naervod; September 28th, 2006 at 02:44.
post #17 of 182 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 23:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

clashes with the MLS season like the MLS is actually anything, I think the quality of the league will decrease with expansion
post #18 of 182 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2006, 02:44
World Class Player

That's what I don't get, the MLS can't even take a break for the World Cup. I don't see what is so hard about taking a break and starting two weeks earlier and ending two weeks later.

NWO BABY
post #19 of 182 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2006, 21:35
Rising Star

Watch USA send their entire European based side in the Gold Cup againts an entire domestic side of Mexico and the game would still be very close. Our other players would be playing in their European clubs getting ready for the Copa America.
post #20 of 182 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2006, 21:36
Rising Star

and i know the US would never send and an entire domestic side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in