Is México the Next Colombia 94'? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:17 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: SPAIN, VENEZUELA, REAL MADRID
Is México the Next Colombia 94'?

Probably, if you live up there in the states, (or if you live in Europe) don't get to see it, but the Mexicans are creating a huge media craze that can be seen in the whole of Latin América about how they are a "world power" in football and about how 2006 will be their year. This is based in that they were seeded in the WC, they reached last Confed. Cup's final and in that they won the U-17 WC.

Don't get me wrong, I know Mexicans play great and entertaining football and that they are scoring bunches of goals in their region (though also conceeding lots), but it takes way many much years, experience and players to be among The Mamas and The Papas Club.

It's the same kind of craziness the colombians had before WC 94'. Same story all over again. Thy're overhyped to the bones. Must of them are saying that they will at least be in the final for sure, when the fact is that if they reach the quarterfinals it would be a quite unexpected outcome for the rest of the world, and if they reach the semifinals it would be a crazy surprise. Not saying it can not happen, but the Mexicans are already taking a huge success for granted, as something logical, believing they are far stronger than the others. This couldn't be a bigger mistake.

Lavolpe is an awesome couch, but what the players and the media think and say is something he hasn't yet controlled. The Mexican Tri has lost humbliness and this always proves deadly. Mexico is a team in the rise and this should be seen like that.

The truth is that if they play against Portugal, Portugal are favourites, if they play against Spain, Spain are favourites,...etc. Even if they play against Belgium, Belgium are slightly favourites. If they play Korea, USA, a good African team or a mid-table South American squad, it's even and anything can happen.

If they are humble, they will do better than what they expected, while if they fill their heads with superiority crap, there will be tears and heads will roll back home.

Also, they are even talking about retiring their clubs from the Libertadores and Suramericana cups, since their league is too good to play in South American competitions and their players stay home because they don't need to play in Europe, since the Mexican season will soon overtake the Champions' League in importance end everyone will want to play there. I tell you, if you feel too high, the fall will feel ugly.

Truth is:

-They didn't even finish first in their zone. A country where people call football "soccer" overplayed them.
-Their best players are naturalized (not that the USA doesn't naturalize anybody).
-The majority of their players are not good enough to play in big european clubs. Teams like Portugal have a lot of them, and even Korea has several.
-Their clubs are not a major force in South American competitions.
-They've only went past a roung of 16 once, playing at home.
-They have to really work in your defense.

I wish them the best of the lucks in June and I hope they go far, but remember that they should never lose the humbliness and the respect for the opponent. Nobody should.

Nuff' said.

P.S.: I will also be posting this at the WC forum.

Siete estrellas es más bonito.

.........................................:st ar:

............................................ ...

............................................ ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:14
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Quote:
Is México the Next Colombia 94'?
No Way Jose !!!!!

.....I live in the USA......and by the MERE fact of living in the US, we're BOMBARDED by mexican attached media, such as Univision, Telemundo, Galavision, Azteca America, plus a couple more on DirectV para todos...And NOWHERE do I feel the indication that mexicans think they're ready to whip the world and or that they have already accomplished that...
On the other side of your post...Colombia 94 was and CONTINUES to be the downfall of Colombian football ...every time their Nats (AT ANY LEVEL) or some colombian club shines for a couple of games..they're on their way to spanking the world...no sooner their crazed media gets on the bandwagon...AS ALWAYS...they Flop....
At this stage of the game Colombia cannot even be compared to what Mexico has already accomplished...the aztecs are a mile in front (Also in front of another 3 or 4 s american nations too) and without ANY boasting of greatness.

My 5 cents worth...

Viva Mexico Mierda !!!!

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 20:34
Rising Star

Quote:
-They didn't even finish first in their zone. A country where people call football "soccer" overplayed them.
Irrelevant. Brazil din`t either in 2002 (we actually finished in 4th position!)

Quote:
-Their best players are naturalized (not that the USA doesn't naturalize anybody).
Same as Portugal (Deco) and some other teams. But most of the Mexican players are not naturalized.

Quote:
-The majority of their players are not good enough to play in big european clubs. Teams like Portugal have a lot of them, and even Korea has several.
Nonsense. Mexican players don`t play abroad because they don`t need to as they are well-paid in Mexico.

Quote:
This is not true either. Pumas reached the Copa Sudamericana final this year. Chivas reached the Libertadores semifinals (beat Boca in the Quarter-Finals). América have reached the Libertadores semifinals a couple of times and Cruz Azul reached the Libertadores final in 2001.

Quote:
They have done it twice (1970- and 1986) and in 1998 and 2002 the topped their group (Italy was in it both times). And Mexico has also won the Confederations Cup a few years ago while the likes of Germany hasn`t.

Quote:
So do more than half of the WC teams...

Mexico is not a world power yet but they are surely one of the top 10 national teams at the moment.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2005, 21:27
Star Player

of their two naturalized players, zinha is average and there is a chance he won't make the national team. franco is good, but the best players are fonseca, morales, marquez, salcido and pardo.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 02:59
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Hmm, you said Lavolpe is a good coach? I have no respect for that man. He can't accept losing to the United States so he criticizes how we play football. He's a fool.

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 16:39 Thread Starter
Premier Player

I'm just advising. It's for their own good.

Quote:
.....I live in the USA......and by the MERE fact of living in the US, we're BOMBARDED by mexican attached media, such as Univision, Telemundo, Galavision, Azteca America, plus a couple more on DirectV para todos...And NOWHERE do I feel the indication that mexicans think they're ready to whip the world and or that they have already accomplished that...
You should see DIRECTV COPA channel or Fox Sports. Every program about the WC is about México in the Confed. Cup, México winning the U-20, México "clasificando caminando", México hammering Guate Malísima, Lavolpe being invincible, México scoring shitloads of goals everywere but recieving shitloads of others (even from underdogs), México being seeded and being already in the round of 16 because they have an "easy" group (be careful), etc.

Yep, Colombia 94 all over again. They played their first game against Romania, which had a lot of players in big European teams and Hagi in Real Madrid, and they somehow assumed they were going to hammer them. Borgetti is another Valderrama, Zinha is another Rincón, Dos Santos is another Aspirilla,...We don't want another Escobar.

Argentina suffered a horrible fate in 2002 and they were Argentina, so nobody can be overconfident.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 18:44
Rookie

Teams: América, México
Wow.

Too much ignorance in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinlover
Yes. The USA overplayed Mexico by exactly one goal

Not trying to minimize USA's accomplishment, they won the qualifiers, but we also have to put things into perspective. The US won the zone qualifiers because of the result head-to-head, meaning by exactly one goal. In Mexico, the game ended 2-1 Mexico's favor, and in the US 2-0 for a US victory. Both US and Mexico won 7 games, tied 1, and lost 2, pretty darn even to call it "overplayed."

Quote:
Ok. I don't know how much time you have been following Mexico's futbol, but where do you get the idea that Mexico's best players are naturalized? Since Lavolpe's era, there has been only 2 naturalized players in the national team, Zinha and Guille Franco. Franco has played very little amount of time to even have an assesment of him, but the time he has played has done absolutely nothing. Zinha is an averaged player and has also done very little with the team, he's too inconsistent. He's basically there because of the coach. Blanco, Sanchez, Marquez, Salcido, Borgetti, Fonseca, Morales, Pardo, are Mexico's best players.

Quote:
Long story short. Mexican players hardly seek foreign leagues because of the well-established domestic league they have. The Mexican league is competitive, well paid, and most importantly it's Mexican. I guess Rafael Marquez wasn't good enough to play in Barcelona.

Quote:
Oh, really? That's news to me. The Mexican league is amongst the best in all of the Americas. And I don't say that, the facts do. Mexican clubs have a positive record against ALL South American countries with the exception of Brazil, no wonder we see Mexican teams in the finals of any given South American competition every now and then.

Quote:
Actually, Mexico reached the quarter final twice at home.

Quote:
Hmm, and Mexico's best aptitude is the defense.

Also, Lavolpe is one of the worst coaches Mexico has had, next to Meza.

Next time, get yourself informed. Looks to me you have no clue what you are talking about.

Hugo Sanchez will lead us to glory.

Visit me here. People needed!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 20:25
Rising Star

Mexico must be the most underrated footballing country. It`s really a shame that so many people think they`re weak when in reality they are good with a lot of potential to become even better.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 20:30
International

I wouldn't call them the most underrated team in the world. They were one of the seeded teams in the World Cup draw. How is that underrated? The USA is more underrated than Mexico.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 21:06
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic
I wouldn't call them the most underrated team in the world. They were one of the seeded teams in the World Cup draw. How is that underrated? The USA is more underrated than Mexico.
PMLF is probably talking about what people on Football forums think,not what FIFA thinks.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 21:50
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger
PMLF is probably talking about what people on Football forums think,not what FIFA thinks.

Yes. This is exactly what I meant by saying they are underrated.

Merry Christmas, by the way!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 21:55
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Happy Christmas to you too PMLF.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 22:47 Thread Starter
Premier Player

I'm not questioning their potential, though.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2005, 14:37
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
I'm not questioning their potential, though.
What ???? You change your tune now ???? Get lost ...... :thmbdown:

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2006, 14:24
Rookie

Teams: Iran
I think Iran has good chances to advance from this group
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2006, 15:22
International

They might, I don't know much about the Iranian team, so, I can't really say otherwise.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2006, 19:52
Rookie

Teams: Iran
Iran already played Mexico 2-3 Years ago in Usa and ost 3-1
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2006, 20:03
Xtratime Elite

Everyone starts from zero...all have EQUAL chances !!!

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2006, 19:54
Naveed

Mexico have a strong team and should do well, but you never know in football, all have equal chance's.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2006, 04:48
Rising Star

Quote:
Nuff' said.
amen. anymore of your insight and I think the pc would have crashed.

You lost me at Lavolpe being a great coach - or as you so so stated COUCH..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in